As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Dice and Men Kickstarter!

AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internetRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++
With the blessings of the admin Lewie P's Stepdad -- I was sure to seek out permission for this post right here -- I'm reaching out to the PA fora to help with something I consider pretty damn cool. You may or may not recall that a little while back Tycho wrote a news post discussing a play by the name Of Dice and Men that received a reading and a performance at PAX. I can't find the link back to the post for the curious at the moment, but hey who knows miracles never cease and I may yet find it. The play was written by Cameron McNary and it's about six 30-something D&D players who's lives suffer no little upheaval when one of them enlists in the Marines and is due to ship out to the Middle East. I'm writing about this here and now because my theatre fraternity, Chi Kappa of the Alpha Psi Omega national theatre fraternity, will be giving this show its southeastern theatrical premiere this very October! It's happening! The only hitch at the moment is funding! We're small and recently established, with little in the way of funds to speak of. We're trying to get together a total of $2000 to pay for lighting equipment, set construction, costuming and more of the same -- and we decided to do this through Kickstarter!

This is really happening! Cameron McNary has already linked us through the Critical Threat Theatre homepage and everything.

I'm here, posting this for all of you to see, with a link to the kickstarter and a link to Critical Threat Theatre because I would love to see this show happen. My fellow cast and crew would love to see this show happen. People out in the miasma of the internet would love to see this show happen it seems judging by (at this time) the 9 contributors we have to our project page! Maybe you want to see this happen? Maybe you're a geek with a love of D&D, or a theatre dude, or you're some lady who loves Kickstarter philanthropy -- if you're feeling it, maybe you'd be willing to lend a helping hand! We'd be eternally grateful!

For those of you who haven't clicked over to the Kickstarter, let me put on a car salesman suitjacket and tell you what we're offerin' ya in a conveniently placed spoiler box.
PLEDGE $1 OR MORE
Our undying love and gratitude forever and ever!

PLEDGE $5 OR MORE
Our undying love and gratitude immortalized in a hand-written thank you letter from the cast and crew.

PLEDGE $10 OR MORE
In addition to a hand-written thank you letter, you will be listed in our playbill as one of our wonderful sponsors and we will mail you a copy of the playbill autographed by the cast and crew!

PLEDGE $25 OR MORE
A thank you letter, recognition in the playbill, an autographed playbill, and 2 free tickets to any showing of "Of Dice and Men".

PLEDGE $50 OR MORE
In addition to the previous rewards, you will receive one of our specially designed, limited edition production posters autographed by the cast and crew!

PLEDGE $75 OR MORE
Your donations make us smile! Want to know how much? We'll send you a super shiny 8x10 cast photo in addition to everything listed above! You want it autographed? You'll have it autographed!

PLEDGE $100 OR MORE
You're going to love this show. You're going to love it so much that you will want to bring all of your friends. Let us help you out! We'll give you 4 free ticket and reserved seating in addition to everything listed above! (That's 6 free tickets, people!)

PLEDGE $250 OR MORE
That's a lot of stuff. So how about we throw in a limited edition "Of Dice and Men" t-shirt specially designed for our production? It's super comfy, and you can show off how cultured you are!

PLEDGE $500 OR MORE
This level is great for businesses, or just people who like to be noticed. In addition to everything listed above, we will give you a 1/2 page ad in our playbill for whatever you like. Advertise your company, a product, or just tell the world how awesome you are!

PLEDGE $1,000 OR MORE
You're amazing. Really. You need a reward that is as special as you are, and everyone loves a special sneak peek, right? Along with all of the cool stuff that everyone else is getting, you will have the added bonus of an invitation to preview one of our rehearsals and see first hand how a script becomes a production! And when you come to the performance to see how it turned out, we will give you a live, in person cast thank you!

PLEDGE $1,500 OR MORE
There are no words. You are the patron to beat all patrons and we love you. We aspire to be you. You are too unique to imitate, however, so proximity will have to suffice! In addition to all of the fabulous goodies above, we are going to take you out for after-show drinks at our favorite neighborhood nosh! You and a guest (or more, just let us know for the table reservation) will get to mingle with the cast and crew and the first two drinks are on us!

Honestly, even a little bit of help will help us out immensely.

This show will be staged on October 14 and October 15 in Atlanta, Georgia at Oglethorpe University. Maybe you're in the area and know the place? Even if you don't donate, take this opportunity to mark your calendar to get your butt in a seat when things kick off. This post is both a call for anyone who likes the idea of this show to help in any small way they can, and also just a broadcasting for anyone who would be interested to go ahead and get excited!

Going to go ahead and quote the playwright up in here and just give an idea of what you can look forward to:
“Around my 30th birthday, the following things happened:

I got married and became a father, and moved out of my parents’ house for the last time.

I was in a truly stellar production of a truly mediocre play.

I realized I had never seen any art about tabletop roleplaying geeks that was not suffused with self-loathing, if not just-plain-loathing.

My best friend enlisted in the Marine Reserves, and was deployed to Iraq.

This left me:

An adult, all of a sudden, albeit one with all sorts of childish hobbies.

Inspired to write, as only forced participation in bad art can make one.

Inspired to correct an oversight.

All kinds of conflicted... and with something to write about.

The basic questions I was struggling with are the same ones John Francis is faced with in the play: How can one be an adult with these goofy, childish hobbies? How can playing a stupid little game about wizards and orcs and unicorns mean anything in the face of my best friend leaving for war? Why do I play at all really?

This play is my answer to those questions.”

I'll field questions and comments to the best of my ability. Honestly, I'm just trying to get this out there beyond my small social circle and make sure this is seen by people. A huge help in and of itself would just be grabbing the link to the kickstarter and passing it along to anyone you might think would be interested in helping! Thanks for reading!

AlfredR on

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    This sounds like a really cool play

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    I know I'm technically biased and all, but I can honestly say that it is. The characters are fun in the way they interact, and the humor is derived from their personalities rather than hurr hurr roleplaying geeks like a lot of other "nerd media." If you check out the play's Facebook Page you can read script excerpts introducing a couple characters and from one of my favorite scenes -- "The Trouble with G.I. Joe"