As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers:MoneyBall? More Like Broke Brad Pitt

• fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Mirror's Edge, the movie.

edit: Now that I think about it, I loved Mirror's Edge and Mirrors Edge 2: Spidey Powers sounds amazing.

fshavlak on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Heir wrote:
    I've not read a lot of Spider Man, but I've always envisioned him as being pretty geeky looking. I don't like Andrew Garfield for the role...he's too pretty.

I could be wrong, is Peter Parker a pretty-boy in the comics?

Same. That's probably why I liked Toby as Peter Parker; the man is just an awkward-looking dude, and it makes it easier to root for him.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    I still don't understand the need for a reboot. He's Spider-Man, he lives under a mask most of the time. There's no reason they couldn't keep the current story going.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRWfS2s2v4

best thing about this trailer is that it doesn't spoil anything, a rare quality these days

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    No interest at all in Spidey Reboot. I don't care to watch Angsty McEmospider.

Raimi's films 4 Lyfe. (Except 3, it was terribad.)

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Okay, I wish more trailers were more like Midnight in Paris'

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Spider-Man 3 was a comedy and I loved it

How's the pie?
    So good.

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRWfS2s2v4

best thing about this trailer is that it doesn't spoil anything, a rare quality these days

Absolutely. I loved being surprised by that movie. And it helped dull my distaste for Woody Allen. Such a good movie.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Personally I think Andrew Garfield looks nerdier than Tobey Maguire.

Plus he doesn't sound like he's about to cry every time he talks, so that's a plus.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Personally I think Andrew Garfield looks nerdier than Tobey Maguire.

Plus he doesn't sound like he's about to cry every time he talks, so that's a plus.

What? No way. Andrew Garfield looks like some kind of emo/hipster hybrid. Heck, his "nerdiness" makes me think of that film from earlier this year....Beastly. Where the guy was supposedly ugly.
    1201490703_MP8zn-L.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    That's the strangest non sequitur I've heard in a while.

Also, look at this guy

garfield-2.jpg

you're telling me this guy looks nerdier than that?

tumblr_lbt6kjk5cF1qc8q1po1_400.jpg

I could probably find a dozen girls who would bang the dude on the spot just because of that first picture.

He really does look like the hipsters I've seen in Toronto and Austin, right down to the jacked and thick ironic glasses.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tobey Maguire also had the nerdier hairstyle.

Delta Assault on
    Tobey Maguire was also terrible at making quips. I hope the new Spider-Man movie has better quippage.

• DavosDavos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I really don't like Andrew Garfield. He reeks too much of young hipster douche bag.

And it's pretty annoying that this is another origin story... so we'll have to wait half the bloody movie just to get to some good action.

Davos on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Davos wrote:
    I really don't like Andrew Garfield. He reeks too much of young hipster douche bag.

And it's pretty annoying that this is another origin story... so we'll have to wait half the bloody movie just to get to some good action.

It seals the deal when you see little Peter talking to his pre-dead parents. The first Spider-man didn't have that much origin story in it!

pHWHd2G.jpg
    The trailer just shows how, overall, this new film is going to be a different and much darker interpretation of Spider-Man. It has this completely new tone which seems so much more psychological and foreboding, whereas Raimi seemed to stick to a bright and flashy four color comics style. Which seems great to me, it makes absolute sense to venture out in a new direction for the franchise, especially when your reboot's only going to be 10 years removed from the original.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    How do you even tell the difference between a nerd and a hipster? The defining visual feature of both is an inability to dress themselves.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well, hipsters don't exist, being the internet boogeymen that they are

BUT, the rough stereotypical outline of a hipster would mean that they would dress bad on purpose

Antimatter wrote:

BUT, the rough stereotypical outline of a hipster would mean that they would dress bad on purpose

Same thing, especially when you consider that forsaking "mainstream" taste by having none is usually done by those not up to really having taste.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I read somewhere a while ago and I love it, that the only accepted definition of a hipster is someone who hates hipsters.

On a related note I'm tired of trailers being released, then pulled. The shaky cam one of spiderman is a different story but it just happened when the dark knight rises trailer first showed up. It makes Youtube such an unnecessary place when studios should be using it as a tool to increase hype and tracking instead of putting it down and restricting access to free promotion

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I imagine studios pull down unofficial ones because they want to be able to control the release of things like trailers. Media won't be as interested in getting an EXCLUSIVE NEW LOOK AT X if the studio doesn't bother to make it exclusive for the contracted period.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The Spider-Man reboot looks like they're just trying to make a Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Spider-Man.

Which would be fine, if it was being directed by Christopher Nolan.

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    The Spider-Man reboot looks like they're just trying to make a Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Spider-Man.

Which would be fine, if it was being directed by Christopher Nolan.

I absolutely think Marc Webb can handle a dark coming of age story. I think he will do a fine job.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I don't want a dark coming of age Spiderman. This is not a thing that should be.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Also, studios kinda don't want people's first impression to be of a shitty version of the trailer shot on someones camcorder.

Antimatter wrote:

Are you kidding me? They're everywhere, you just have to know where they go.

But yeah, a Hipster is someone who dresses nerdy, wears cheesy facial hair or wears tacky fashion sense because it's supposed to be ironic, a la one big joke. In a nutshell, they're basically trying to look like they don't care.

And then those same outfits and facial hair eventually turn into actual unironic daily routines.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Sentry wrote:
    Wash wrote:

Absolutely. I loved being surprised by that movie. And it helped dull my distaste for Woody Allen. Such a good movie.

yeah you'd never expect, looking at that trailer, that it's a remake of Hot Tub Time Machine :-)

Really fun movie in spite of over relying on historic figures.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hurray, it's the French release of Attack the Block today and it's magically appeared at a couple of cinemas across Paris. Sadly, I'm pretty ill, but it's a race against time to see it before it vanishes. I don't want to be a dick and infect people though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Godfather wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

Are you kidding me? They're everywhere, you just have to know where they go.

But yeah, a Hipster is someone who dresses nerdy, wears cheesy facial hair or wears tacky fashion sense because it's supposed to be ironic, a la one big joke. In a nutshell, they're basically trying to look like they don't care.

And then those same outfits and facial hair eventually turn into actual unironic daily routines.

Apparently, loud pants (the plaids in the 70's and baby boomer rockers) started out as a game of one-upmanship between guys at country clubs doing their very best to embarrass/piss off their golf buddies by being as tacky as possible.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    I don't want a dark coming of age Spiderman. This is not a thing that should be.

It simply does not fit the tone.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • DavosDavos Registered User regular
    What the hell was up with the cgi first person running at the end? It's not a video game. It was just completely lame and not an exciting ending to a trailer at all. Show some real footage of him kicking ass in costume.

Although a mirrors edge style spider man game would be absolutely awesome.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I love that actor but ugh to that movie concept

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Looks like it could be good. Not enough there to know though.

Emma Stone is pretty much perfect as Gwen Stacy.

• HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Emma Stone is pretty much perfect.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hybrid wrote:

Seconded. Thirded even. Motion passes.

Honestly, the idea of having to sit through another hour of origin story is probably one of the things that makes me the least interested in this. I'll probably watch it, to be sure, but I'd be more likely to wait for it on DVD so I can actively do other things while it plays out than sit quietly in a theatre waiting for Uncle Ben to buy the farm again.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Forar wrote:
    Hybrid wrote:

Seconded. Thirded even. Motion passes.

Honestly, the idea of having to sit through another hour of origin story is probably one of the things that makes me the least interested in this. I'll probably watch it, to be sure, but I'd be more likely to wait for it on DVD so I can actively do other things while it plays out than sit quietly in a theatre waiting for Uncle Ben to buy the farm again.

I don't know. The origin story part was the best thing Raimi's Spidermans ever did.

Once he's actually Spiderman, the first movie turns to shit.

shryke on
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    Woah I did not even recognize Emma Stone

This discussion has been closed.