As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
With the introduction of the new forum, what is the avatar size limit? They all look mighty blurry on my end because they're being stretched.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    new dimensions are 80x80. You can upload something bigger, which appears bigger on your profile page, and then use a tool on your profile page to crop out a section for the avatar. If you want it to be animated, my understanding is you need to upload at the exact 80x80 dimensions.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    My in-forum avatar is now frozen, but it is still animated on my profile page.

Sup wit dat? It was / still is 80x80, I think...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    it looks to me like it is 64x64. So when it gets stretched up to the new 80x80 dimensions, it loses its animation.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Is it no longer possible to link to off-site avatars?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Suds wrote:
    Is it no longer possible to link to off-site avatars?

Correct. We grandfathered in those who already had offsite avatars, so that we wouldn't have half our avatars go blank, but there is no UI for adding in a link to an offsite avatar. We are in discussions currently on whether or not to add that UI - the problem with supporting offsite avatars is that their load-time is outside our control, and can lead to a perceived slowness in the forums, which we don't want. That slowness can be especially annoying in some instances where you click into a thread and start reading, and then all of a sudden the page shifts because the onload has finally fired.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Could something be worked with regards to the Steam avatars from Slim's site? Many of us use them, and it makes our lives MUCH easier in this site and Steam too.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Could something be worked with regards to the Steam avatars from Slim's site? Many of us use them, and it makes our lives MUCH easier in this site and Steam too.

By Slim he means Suds. I'm Slim.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    If offsite avatars arent allowed then how does Munkus' rotating avatar work?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote:
    Pretty sure it's one of the ones that was grandfathered in. Since the rotater always provides the same URL for the image file, Munkus can add new avatars to it as he wants.

Also, I'm hoping the powers that be allow offsite linking, if for no other reason then I like making and seeing Christmas versions of people's avatars and it'd be a pain in the butt to upload them, post them, then the other guy has to download the avatar, then upload the avatar to use on the boards, repeating the last few steps after the season to return to their classic avatar.
    As opposed to using offsite linking where all the poster has to do is copy and paste the image URL.

I know, it's not difficult to do any of that, but it seems like it'd be a bit annoying.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    Bedlam wrote:
    Pretty sure it's one of the ones that was grandfathered in. Since the rotater always provides the same URL for the image file, Munkus can add new avatars to it as he wants.

Also, I'm hoping the powers that be allow offsite linking, if for no other reason then I like making and seeing Christmas versions of people's avatars and it'd be a pain in the butt to upload them, post them, then the other guy has to download the avatar, then upload the avatar to use on the boards, repeating the last few steps after the season to return to their classic avatar.
    As opposed to using offsite linking where all the poster has to do is copy and paste the image URL.

I know, it's not difficult to do any of that, but it seems like it'd be a bit annoying.
    Hotlinking your avatar to someone else's site is really about ten kinds of stupid. And the process you're talking about is roughly three clicks for anyone with a Photobucket account (which is pretty much everyone).