As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[From Dust] droppin' lava like it's hot. out now on 360 and PC.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Renegade Wolf on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's not going to be the digital world-creation "toy" that I was kind of hoping for, but it does still sound cool. I'm excited. I'm glad to hear about a free-play mode, as well.

BloodySloth on
  • SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We couldn't see one human burn in the lava? I just want one.

SmallCaveGames on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    read the preview, kinda dissapointed that it's actually a puzzler and not a sandbox game.

Still looks incredible though.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited March 2011
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    read the preview, kinda dissapointed that it's actually a puzzler and not a sandbox game.

Still looks incredible though.

I think there will probably be a sand box mode. The tech demo in the OP shows the type of gameplay the preview talks about, with the picking up existing resources into floating balls and moving it. But it also shows elements being just being dropped from the cursor with no restriction, like at the very end of the video.

Renegade Wolf on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We couldn't see one human burn in the lava? I just want one.

All the technical marvels at God's disposal, and you want to purge some mortal with fire and brimstone.

Clearly you are one of the Old Gods and demand sacrifice.

Godfather on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BOOOM release date and pricing
    27/07 - From Dust - 1200pts

Local H Jay on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It looks pretty but from what I can read it's not a god game at all; just a sort of Lemmings-like puzzle game. So my interest went boom.

Magic Pink on
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    It looks pretty but from what I can read it's not a god game at all; just a sort of Lemmings-like puzzle game. So my interest went boom.

There are two different modes I believe. There's the one they've mainly shown with the specific objectives and mission progression. But there is also a sandbox mode where you have complete control over the terrain.

Renegade Wolf on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

There are two different modes I believe. There's the one they've mainly shown with the specific objectives and mission progression. But there is also a sandbox mode where you have complete control over the terrain.

Also known as the 'packaging' and the 'goods', respectively.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    EDIT: I shoulda read the OP, lawl.

I'm curious how this is a "spiritual heir to Populous" if it doesn't involve ruining an opposing civ's day with a giant volcano, and then earthquaking the shit out of them just to add insult to injury.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    EDIT: I shoulda read the OP, lawl.

I'm curious how this is a "spiritual heir to Populous" if it doesn't involve ruining an opposing civ's day with a giant volcano, and then earthquaking the shit out of them just to add insult to injury.

You forgot the insect plague.

I have special needs when it comes to populous games.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Insect plague? I don't remember that in the original Populous. >.>

What sort of glorious shit have I missed out on!?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Insect plague? I don't remember that in the original Populous. >.>

What sort of glorious shit have I missed out on!?

I can't remember if the original had it, but I do remember the last one having it.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This looks awesome. Lava cocks.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    FYI - This is coming to PC the same day as Arcade, July 27th

no worries on
    edited July 2011
    Renegade Wolf on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dyvion wrote: »
    shutuplime.jpg

I'm tempted to export that and lime it and post it below... but I won't. I'll just say Amen.

Neaden on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Neaden wrote: »
    Dyvion wrote: »
    shutuplime.jpg

I'm tempted to export that and lime it and post it below... but I won't. I'll just say Amen.

I <3 you.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Giant bomb did a quick look on this game, and it gives a good sense to how the game will play out. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-from-dust/17-4531/

hLeTR.png
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    Does anyone remember Populous: The Beginning?
    Because this reminds me of that so very very much. Needless to say I'll be buying the shit out of it.

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    Any word on when this will come out on PSN? Looks like MS has gotten a timed exclusive with this one. I prefer PSN to XBL (since it's free), but don't know if I can wait 6 mo - 1 year to get this game.

PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • DataranDataran Registered User regular
    Why? Why can't I just give them money now?

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    xboxxer wrote:
    Any word on when this will come out on PSN? Looks like MS has gotten a timed exclusive with this one. I prefer PSN to XBL (since it's free), but don't know if I can wait 6 mo - 1 year to get this game.

You're basing which version of a single player game you want to buy on the cost of the multiplayer part of an online service. You do realize you don't need to be a Gold member to actually buy XBLA games, right?

steam_sig.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jaunty wrote:
    Does anyone remember Populous: The Beginning?
    Because this reminds me of that so very very much. Needless to say I'll be buying the shit out of it.

Yes.

And yes.

And Chahi.

• DataranDataran Registered User regular
    Anyone here with a Platinum account on Something Awful should go make a post for this game. I was reading the wiki and apparently if there is enough interest(sales) than they will make sequels and expansions. I bet the goons will jump on this like a rich 17 year old posting old juggling videos of himself trying to geta $10,000 computer. Go forth!

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There is one.

• xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    xboxxer wrote:

You're basing which version of a single player game you want to buy on the cost of the multiplayer part of an online service. You do realize you don't need to be a Gold member to actually buy XBLA games, right?

Well, if you put it THAT way, it does sound kind of ridiculous :-). But the truth is, because of the PSN / XBL differentiation, my gaming habits have drifted more toward PS3. Ditto my friends. And with this, comes the whole trophy / achievement thing -- which again, I know, is kind of stupid, but obviously effective on some psychological level. The 360 really only gets play for exclusives. Unless there is a huge difference in the quality of multiplats, I usually lean toward getting the PS3.

So I guess, since this is really only a timed exclusive, as opposed to an exclusive forever, I was wondering if the time difference was reasonable, or whether I should just bite the bullet and get the 360 version. But then again, I'm guessing that nobody really knows the answer to that question outside of Microsoft / Ubisoft, since I suspect there are crazy draconian NDA's around these sorts of contracts.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Its usually hard to tell how long microsoft has exclusivity of a title due to the fact that differs on a per-game basis. My guess though with from dust is that it will only be an exclusive for 3-4 months, considering the fact that its releasing on PC same day. Then again I may be wrong and it could be like limbo in that it takes a year to make it to psn.

hLeTR.png
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    This looks promising, hopefully it is as awesome as it looks.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    xboxxer wrote:
    Well, if you put it THAT way, it does sound kind of ridiculous :-).
    Mainly I was just making sure you knew you could buy it. There really are people that think you need a gold subscription to buy XBLA games.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    Its usually hard to tell how long microsoft has exclusivity of a title due to the fact that differs on a per-game basis. My guess though with from dust is that it will only be an exclusive for 3-4 months, considering the fact that its releasing on PC same day. Then again I may be wrong and it could be like limbo in that it takes a year to make it to psn.

The last two games included in Microsoft XBLA promotions were Lara Croft and BG&E HD, which took 1 and 2 months respectively to come out on the PSN (though BG&E was pushed back an extra month thanks to the hack). I wouldn't expect anything longer than that.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    This game looks INCREDIBLE. I can't wait to see what people say about it.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The first time I heard about this game I was looking up the old "Unlimited Detail" videos on YouTube and saw this trailer listed under this user account: http://www.youtube.com/user/Quipster99

I hadn't heard from the Unlimited Detail guys in a while and then this showed up? Is this possibly the same people or using a more developed version of their texel "point cloud" data system?

Edit: Just seems like a coincidence. This UD guys or guy have moved on to a new name at http://www.euclideon.com/ where they will continue to hawk their snake oil to anyone with lots of money and not a lot of sense.

zanetheinsane on
    Oh man that quick look is so cool. I want this now, I just know a large amount of my time is going to be spent sending villagers along riverbeds then busting the dam I have holding the water back.
    Then I'll laugh

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    Woah, I didn't know this was coming out so soon (and on PC too).

Too bad I don't have the money to spare right now. Luckily it's coming to steam, so I can always wait for a sale, I suppose. : (

palonelydriver.gif
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    So apparently the PC version of this may have been delayed to mid August. :(

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    So apparently the PC version of this may have been delayed to mid August. :(

It looks to be confirmed RPS is reporting it. New date August 17th.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    I was hoping against hope that because D2D still reported their release date as 7/27, that maybe it was only the European release that was getting delayed.

:cry:

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire