As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Minor spoiler within the link, including a brief explanation of who the other character is:

Stannis casting, as well as another related fairly major character we haven't met or even heard of yet on the show..
    Melisandre

Don't really know either, but the picture of the actress they used in the link looks pretty similar to what I pictured Melisandre to look like (if you take away the red carpet makeup/glam aspect). I guess the guy looks pretty Stannis-y.

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    They've cast Maester Cressen as well. Oliver Ford Davies.

I can't link the source. Big spoilers.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Stannis looks good - just gotta get a bit more balding going on there. He looks appropriately stern and "unlovable".

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Margaery has been cast? Who is it?

EDIT: Oh. Meh.

Meh? What's wrong with you?

She has a. . .weird face. Not what I would expect out of her. I suppose it could work -

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    She has a. . .weird face. Not what I would expect out of her. I suppose it could work -

What he said.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    Who has a weird face? Margaery or Melisandre?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Natalie Dormer I assume he means, actress playing Margaery.

edited July 2011
    I do not like who they have cast as Marge Tyrell. For whatever reason I envisioned someone along the lines of. . .I dunno Emma Stone - Marge has got to be, just this innocent young free sexy thing. The woman they have chosen looks far too "old" and sharp in her face.

Stannis I can live with because fuck me if I had to swear fealty to that guy. I think Brienne will definitely work though. Mel is cool, but in my mind she was older in the books, maybe a bit taller.

ED! on
    edited July 2011
    Liam Cunningham cast as Davos. (Didn't post the specific link since it was somewhat plot-spoilery).

Captain Tragedy on
  • DavosDavos Registered User regular
    Liam Cunningham cast as Davos. (Didn't post the specific link since it was somewhat plot-spoilery).

AWESOME

edited July 2011
    Stannis casting is good, but I was shooting for Eccleston. He has more command, authority, and fury in his voice than this guy does.

Davos on
    oh and the chick from black death as melisandre I CALLED THAT SHIT

i called it months ago

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I only wish the actress playing Melisandre was a natural ginger.

• ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    This pictures makes me believe Stephen Dillane will make a good Stannis:
    bio_stephen.jpg

He was really good in John Adams and 44 inch chest.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Oh, Melisandre is
    Carice van Houten? Star of Paul Motherfucking Verhoven's Black Book?
    Hell yes.

• Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    Stannis looks good - just gotta get a bit more balding going on there. He looks appropriately stern and "unlovable".
    The actor played Thomas Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries on HBO. I think Jefferson and Stannis have some similarities- cerebral, but not great with people, for example.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    ED! wrote:
    The actor played Thomas Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries on HBO. I think Jefferson and Stannis have some similarities- cerebral, but not great with people, for example.

Certainly not Native American People.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    ED! wrote:

Probably because there are no Native Americans in Westeros.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    ED! wrote:

Well not anymore

• SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Quote from comic con, spoiler for late season 1:
    Jason Momoa didn’t know his character, Khal Drogo, was going to die in Game of Thrones’ first season until he read the book. “I fucking hated you, dude,” he joked to Martin. “I was like, fuck this.”

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Sevorak wrote:
    Jason Momoa didn’t know his character, Khal Drogo, was going to die in Game of Thrones’ first season until he read the book. “I fucking hated you, dude,” he joked to Martin. “I was like, fuck this.”

yessss he shares my emotions

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    Yeah. I GIS'd Stephen Dillane and saw a few photos and just felt my heart sink.

"He's way too young! What the hell are they- Oh."

They were old photos. Saw a few recent ones. He'll do fine. I imagine Stannis as a little meatier though.

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    Sevorak wrote:

It really is a good question. How many of them know their fates? How many have read the books? They're seasons ahead. I'm sure tv actors sit on edge waiting for another seasons script to see the fate of their characters. These actors have a few years in advance, but what of the last two books?!

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    ED! wrote:

Well not anymore

:lol:

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    Sevorak wrote:

It really is a good question. How many of them know their fates? How many have read the books? They're seasons ahead. I'm sure tv actors sit on edge waiting for another seasons script to see the fate of their characters. These actors have a few years in advance, but what of the last two books?!

Emilia Clarke says she's reading the books as they wrap seasons. So she got the role, read Game of Thrones, ignored Clash of Kings til they wrapped and then read it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited July 2011
    You'd think they'd know roughly ahead of time how long they'll be around if it's not too long. I'd like to imagine that, anyway. As brain dead as Hollywood is I can't see them locking people down for 5 to whatever years if they're only going to be around 1 or 2. Now 2 or 3 and, surprise, you're gone after 4 they probably want to read the books to be prepared.

Note I'm not talking about the entire show getting the axe or not season to season. That doesn't count. It's pretty much just as stupid, but what can you do...

Xeddicus on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They were old photos. Saw a few recent ones. He'll do fine. I imagine Stannis as a little meatier though.

He always seemed to me to be a guy without any extra meat on him. Not gaunt, but ... lean. And hard severe lines.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Someone posted a 5-part video of the Game of Thrones panel at Comic Con.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpL6F2hKgV8

Someone posted a 5-part video of the Game of Thrones panel at Comic Con.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpL6F2hKgV8

Does it avoid book spoilers?

For the first book? No. For the rest? Yes. The closest they get is saying they want to make it to a certain scene and give a 2 letter name.

That was great. Dinklage seemed over it the entire time though.

edited July 2011
    And if you haven't read up to book 4 I'd probably avoid the later part of the panel. GRRM talking about the scene they were referring to would be kind of revealing to someone who doesn't know what's coming next.

Davos on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    I had a really weird dream this evening. It was about Tyrion defending himself in court against Phoenix Wright. Something about the masturbation story, only this time he had beaten off into the milkshake of some rude lady at Burger King. He was facing the death penalty(what) and had maybe an hour to convince the jury, made up of different versions of the Red Ranger, that he was sorry and would never do it again.

Something tells me this isn't canon.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    tumblr_lnfhkli3Kd1qlirbgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ln9xknDila1qlirbgo1_500.jpg

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I had a really weird dream this evening. It was about Tyrion defending himself in court against Phoenix Wright. Something about the masturbation story, only this time he had beaten off into the milkshake of some rude lady at Burger King. He was facing the death penalty(what) and had maybe an hour to convince the jury, made up of different versions of the Red Ranger, that he was sorry and would never do it again.

Something tells me this isn't canon.

Nah, sounds like a perfectly canon dream that Tyrion would have after imbibing the strongest wine he could find

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:

He always seemed to me to be a guy without any extra meat on him. Not gaunt, but ... lean. And hard severe lines.

He looks a lot like the way I picture Roose Bolton. (has Bolton shown up in the series yet? I only got to see the first few episodes)

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So somewhere between episodes 3 and 4 my girlfriend went from watching the show because I wanted to watch the show to watching the show because she's in to it.

I have her right where I want her. Is that evil?

Also rewatching the episodes there's a ton of stuff I missed the first time. Possibly that's because I watched most of the season while working on projects during the spring semester

• ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    shryke wrote:

He looks a lot like the way I picture Roose Bolton. (has Bolton shown up in the series yet? I only got to see the first few episodes)

I've always pictured Roose Bolton as Vladimir Putin. I don't know how I ended up with that image, but it seems to work pefectly.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.