As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Simple, romantic guitar songs?

TSRTSR Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been playing guitar for about a month, now, and want to learn a few simple, romantic songs for an evening I have planned.

If anyone has some recommendations, along with links to tabs for the given piece, I'd really appreciate it.

Bear in mind I can also sing, so obviously songs with lyrics would be preferred.

Thanks!

TSR on

• SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Please don't do "Hey, Delilah" that song is fucking atrocious.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Wicked Game

LondonBridge on
  • SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wonderwall?

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Your Body is a Wonderland is pretty easy, if you can pluck with your fingers.

Wonderwall is a good choice

If you can find the easy tab for Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls, that's a good one too

Crash by Dave Matthews, but that's got some tough chord fingerings if you've only been playing for a month.

Unfortunately I can think of tons of difficult romantic songs, but not as many simple ones. Maybe some Lifehouse or something?

Evil Multifarious on
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for all of the advice so far.

To give you an idea, I can play Wilco's "Forget the Flowers," "I'm the Man Who Loves You," and "Must Be High," along with Denison Witmer's "California Brown and Blue" right now. So going off of those, I'm not necessarily looking for stuff that's explicitly "hey there baby" romantic, so songs with romantic connotation are good enough.

Ooh, after listening to that Oasis song, I was reminded of Sheryl Crow, so I think I'll try "What I Can Do For You" from her album Tuesday Night Music Club.

TSR on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Going by the hundreds of times I've heard (usually bad) amateur guitar players crash through it, "Wish You Were Here" is probably pretty easy.

KalTorak on
  • RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TSR wrote: »

To give you an idea, I can play Wilco's "Forget the Flowers," "I'm the Man Who Loves You," and "Must Be High," along with Denison Witmer's "California Brown and Blue" right now. So going off of those, I'm not necessarily looking for stuff that's explicitly "hey there baby" romantic, so songs with romantic connotation are good enough.

Ooh, after listening to that Oasis song, I was reminded of Sheryl Crow, so I think I'll try "What I Can Do For You" from her album Tuesday Night Music Club.

I considered reporting this post, but instead I'm just going to cry. Please don't compare Oasis and Sheryl-fucking-Crow ever. Thanks.

Ritchmeister on
  • MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I highly, HIGHLY recommend "Desperado" by a little band called The Eagles.

Also try out almost anything from Coldplay, Yellow is a personal fave, and REALLY easy.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I considered reporting this post, but instead I'm just going to cry. Please don't compare Oasis and Sheryl-fucking-Crow ever. Thanks.

Oh my, reaching for the colored text? Her early stuff is good, can't say I like anything on that recent album.

Oh, and "Wish You Were Here" is a good one. I might learn that.

TSR on
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Collective Soul had a really good acoustic tune...The World I Know I believe.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Xtreme's More Than Words might fit the bill.

Underdog on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Going by the hundreds of times I've heard (usually bad) amateur guitar players crash through it, "Wish You Were Here" is probably pretty easy.

That's me you're ripping. I can destroy that song (and no matter how much I play it, it never gets better). It's also harder to sing than it sounds. Easy "romantic" song is Sweet Jane. You can't beat "Anyone who ever had a dream/anyone who ever played a part/anyone who ever lived their life so lonely/anyone who ever stood apart" I always yell "this one's for you" after that line. DAGA rinse repeat (don't get all fancy and just leave out the B) and no need to worry about your fumble fingers muting the open strings like in Wish You Were Here. Also, since we're on a Lou Reed vibe "Oh Sweet Nuthin" is crazy easy.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Casimir Pulaski Day by Sufjan Stevens is the thread-ender, here.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2007
    Oh, and "Wish You Were Here" is a good one. I might learn that.

Playing this song is outrageously easy if someone shows you how to do it. Your base hand position is just320033 (from big E to little E). You keep your pinky and ring finger on the third fret through the whole intro then you just pluck the big E on the third fret, then raise off your index and middle fingers, pluck the A and hammer on the A string with your index finger at the second fret, the play open D then D at the third fret then strum the chord you've got from the D string down (so xx2033) then on the way back up you hit the D on the second fret then open G then D on the second fret again then strum the G chord (320033). (blarg you'll be able to figure it out from there--the upshot is the first time through you end up on G chord with the D string already vibrating and the second time you end up on x02233 with the A string vibrating). Damn now I know why the invented this whole reading music stuff.

tl;dr this song is easy to play but complicated to explain

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What about any random Jack Johnson song?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "I wanna grow old with you" by Adam Sandler is your best bet. Its the song he sings in The Wedding Singer, a real panty dropper. Its easy to play and sing (my buddy picked it up after only a week of playing), but if its not someone you plan to be with for a long time you are going to give the wrong impression.

Walter on
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have to add another vote for Oasis - 'Wonderwall.' There's a reason everyone and their mother plays this. Its easy and instantly recognizable.

Two others that people don't think about, but work very well acoustically are:
    Bush - Glycerine (super easy)
    Fuel - Shimmer

Good luck

DesertBox on
  • Captain AwesomeftwCaptain Awesomeftw Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ice Age by Pete Yorn is very romantic, and very very easy to play

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/pete_yorn/ice_age_tab.htm

Captain Awesomeftw on
    civilwarcherabim.jpg
  • MercedCGMercedCG Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You will definitely be able to play EIght Days a Week by The Beatles, its just D E G D through most of the song, good simple and romantic.

Wanna Grow Old With You by Adam Sandler is really cheesy but its very easy. A huge plus if whoever you are playing for likes The Wedding Singer too.

Better Together, and Wasting Time by Jack Johnson are also pretty easy. Belle by Jack Johnson is a good quick song too, but its not very simple and is all finger picking.

Out Loud by Dispatch is another good one, pretty simple, all bar chords with a nice slow pattern thats easy to pick up.

Steal My Kisses by Ben Harper, Girl I Wanna Lay You Down by ALO. Give A Little Bit by Supertramp. Oh yea, and Fuck Her Gently by Tenacious D. Dont forget that one. Im a sap.

MercedCG on
    Check out my video game related articles here and here...with more to come soon!
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    Please don't do "Hey, Delilah" that song is fucking atrocious.

ha, that's one of the songs my friend who plays guitar and loves top 40 told me to learn. He said that it helps to "get the ladies" which were my words to him first, if i play a song they most likely know....

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited June 2007
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    Wonderwall?

wonderwall works, as I just recently witnessed its awesome power with the ladies.

I think that The Calling song, Wherever You Will Go, is supposed to be easy.

Goo Goo Dolls, to me, is alot harder than they sound, which shames me, as I want to learn some of their songs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited June 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    I have to add another vote for Oasis - 'Wonderwall.' There's a reason everyone and their mother plays this. Its easy and instantly recognizable.

Two others that people don't think about, but work very well acoustically are:
    Bush - Glycerine (super easy)
    Fuel - Shimmer

Good luck

i dunno, is Shimmer all that romantic? I dont remember it being all that romantic.

Belle is a fun song by ole Jack, but it's difficult, but short, but it is in french. it has so much going for it, and so much against it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Heres a few of my favs i played for some ppl as a begginer.

Drops of Jupiter - Train

Fix You - Coldplay

How To Save a Life - The Fray

One - U2

Slide - Goo Goo Dolls

History - The Verve

Save Tonight - Eagle Eye Cherry

I second Pink Floyd's Wish you were hear. Its great song to learn, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSMayP9JJfQ is a link to show u in detail how to play it.

As stated, almost anything by coldplay is great.

Im gonna recomend u check out some things by Richard Ashcroft or the Verve. Alot of their songs are great and can be played with just a few chords.

romanqwerty on
    edited June 2007
    I second Pink Floyd's Wish you were hear. Its great song to learn, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSMayP9JJfQ is a link to show u in detail how to play it.

You beated my post with actual usefulness.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Strain 121Strain 121 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seriously though Hey There Delilah is an incredibly recognizable song and, from what i've seen, is also very easy to play. I know a friend of mine that will just start the opening little thing and will have like 5 girls just flock over to listen to him sing/play immediately.

Strain 121 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    the song Will Farrel sings in Stranger than Fiction

clsCorwin on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    the song Will Farrel sings in Stranger than Fiction

Yes

What is this song? I liked it a lot but I never found out the name/artist.

Evil Multifarious on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    From IMDB regarding Stranger than Fiction: "Whole Wide World" Written by Eric Frank Goulden

clsCorwin on
  • A-RodA-Rod Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Muse - Unintended....i think that counts as romantic...its pretty cheesy but simple to play.

A-Rod on
  • MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno if any pink floyd song is really a love song; just my personal opinion.

You can get some GREAT sounds in Drop D. I recommend Going to California (though its not exactly a love song) or Iris by Goo Goo Dolls. Anything that John Reznik plays cannot possibly be that hard. He actually cheats ALOT by removing strings or using oddball tunings to make it easier.

Also, probably the ONLY love song by the smashing pumpkins, "Stand Inside Your Love"

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    From IMDB regarding Stranger than Fiction: "Whole Wide World" Written by Eric Frank Goulden
    A.K.A. Wreckless Eric.

Super easy too - a whole two chords.

Andrew_Jay on
  • BlueMarkerFumesBlueMarkerFumes Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    I will follow you into the dark...massively over played, but a lot of girls I know really like it. And DeathCab's stuff is pretty easy to play, tabs are rated as intermediate http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/death_cab_for_cutie/i_will_follow_you_into_the_dark_tab.htm

BlueMarkerFumes on
    Nobody saves America by sniffing cocaine. Jiggling your knees blankeyed in the rain, when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Try First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes.

It seems like it would be pretty simple, and it's a great romantic song.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited June 2007
    Alot of people consider I Will Follow You Into The Dark a morbid song...I mean, yeah, it's message is essentially if you die, I'll come with you, but still...

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wouldnt recomend many Goo Goo Dolls things unless your pretty adept at tuning. When playing them, you allmost allways need to tune to some weird alternate tuning (BDDDDD or DADDAD usually).

Some songs like Slide can be played without this and still sound half decent, others like Iris just cant.

romanqwerty on
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Brown Eyed Girl is not to hard if you just want to play the cords. G-C-G-D7

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
    edited June 2007
    I really like this thread.

Suggest, people! Suggest!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Double_FacesDouble_Faces Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles is about as easy as it gets, and it's romantic in a western kinda way.

"I wanna sleep with you in the desert tonight, with a million stars all around."

Double_Faces on
    SSBB Code: 0258 9993 5495
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Acoustic version of Hey Ya

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

Sami on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Androgynous by The Replacements. It's on piano but sounds great on guitar, here's a tab.

exis on