As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing programs to external HDD, running them on another computer

AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
I'm having some trouble installing Microsoft Visual Basic to a computer, and thought I'd plug that computer's HDD into my own computer, install the program to the external HDD, then plug it back into the original computer. The program itself seems fine, but because all the system files were installed on my own computer's HDD, they're missing from the external drive; when I try to run it it says it's missing MSVCR100.dll. Since the external drive has its own OS and everything, it should be possible to put those registry files in there (although I can't do that while it's in its original computer). Does anyone have a solution for this?
I'd like to just install the program to the external HDD, and put system files in the external drives OS. If that's impossible, is there any way to get a list of all the dlls and system files that Microsoft Visual Basic Express 2010 requires? And if I just straight out cut and pasted those in, would that work?
Otherwise my only option is to cut and paste one over, put the HDD back in its original computer, try it, read the name of what's missing, take the HDD out, copy another file over, put it back in its original computer... this could take hours.

Also, would there be any harm in just copying over a bucketload of dlls? Would having dlls that the computer doesn't need on it be a problem?
Thanks.

AnteCantelope on

• Options
    I copied over some DLLs, and now it just says 'unknown error' when I try to boot it, so it's missing something that I can't simply copy over. Anyone got a plan B?

• Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    That OS is probably not going to play well with two different motherboards. Someone with more knowledge about the specifics might be able to help you more, but I'm pretty sure there is a relatively basic flaw somewhere in your plan.

• Options
    Pariel wrote:
    That OS is probably not going to play well with two different motherboards. Someone with more knowledge about the specifics might be able to help you more, but I'm pretty sure there is a relatively basic flaw somewhere in your plan.

Yeah, I didn't expect the simple option to work well. Hoping someone knows a work-around.

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    MSVCR100.dll sounds like part of MS visual C++ runtime, so try installing that and see if it works.