As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bombing in [Oslo]

PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas JeffersonRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Live BBC video coverage here

(CNN) -- A giant explosion rocked government buildings in Oslo, Norway, on Friday, state TV broadcaster NRK said, with at least two people confirmed dead.

Windows in several buildings had been blown out, and people were in the street bleeding, NRK said on its website. The cause of the blast remains unknown.

There are conflicting reports about whether a second blast followed the first, which occurred mid-afternoon in the center of the Norwegian capital.
The police have confirmed two dead and at least fifteen injured. It appears to have been a car bomb but this has not yet been absolutely confirmed. No one has yet claimed responsibility but the implicit assumption in all the coverage so far is this is Islamic terrorism.

ed 1220 est video of area shortly after blast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTez0xM2ml4

Reports of trapped workers are unconfirmed.

BBC is currently reporting that a person dressed as a police officer has opened fire on a Labor Party youth camp just outside Oslo (presumably this one, which is described as a "breeding ground" for future political elites)

978xi.jpg

11793-1.png
day9gosu.png
QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
PantsB on

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Why would Islamic terrorists want to bomb ANYTHING in Norway?

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Now there's a shooting in Utoya..related? Dunno. Utoya Shooting

Ludious on
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    New development - gunfire at annual labour party youth camp in Utøya

a man dressed as a policeman reported to be firing wildly around him

one girl shot in the arm, not life-threateningly injured

EDIT: Several labour party ministers including the prime ministers usually visit the camp at some point

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Why would ANYONE want to bomb ANYTHING in Norway?

Fixed. Norway is awesome. Who has beef with Norway?

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Norway charges radical cleric for death threats

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gJ1T3qbtKpMPUw67TD7X5rTlwpWQ?docId=bac0246297764fc99cb097f616838f39

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Bloody hell - why would anyone do this to Norway?

Also setting them off at a time after most government things will have closed for the weekend?

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    They have troops in Afganistan, that's all I can think of.

This sucks, at least there have been relatively few deaths so far.

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    What Kag posted.

Also lets not forget they were the originators of the Muhammed cartoons which left how ever many dead a number of years back.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    This is on a vastly smaller scale then 9/11, but man....

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    The muhammed cartoons came from Denmark. Completly different country.

Know whats worst about the shooting incident? Norwegian police don't usually carry guns. They have to get permission to arm themselves.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:
    What Kag posted.

Also lets not forget they were the originators of the Muhammed cartoons which left how ever many dead a number of years back.

Nope, they came from Denmark. But they did reprint them at some point I believe.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    Police have arrived at Utøya. Or, around it. It's an island. People are trying to swim away or are hiding.

ftOqU21.png
    Kipling217 wrote:
    Know whats worst about the shooting incident? Norwegian police don't usually carry guns. They have to get permission to arm themselves.

He said he came because of the bombing, so being armed would not be wierd then. Plus, policeman. No reason not to trust him.

Usually. Damn.

ftOqU21.png
    Leitner wrote:
    What Kag posted.

That was Denmark.

Are you saying that all vikings look alike to you?

Seriously though, this is bullshit. I can't believe someone is fucking with Norway.
    OSLO, Norway (AP) — A Norwegian prosecutor has filed terror charges against an Iraqi-born cleric for threatening Norwegian politicians with death if he's deported from the Nordic country.
    The indictment, obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday, centers on statements that Mullah Krekar — the founder of the Kurdish Islamist group Ansar al-Islam — made to various media, including American network NBC.
    Norway ordered Krekar deported in 2005 after declaring him a national security threat, but the decision was suspended amid worries he would face execution or torture in Iraq.

So they didn't deport him because they didn't want him to be executed in Iraq. If this is the guy: What an asshole.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote:

Yeah, but they keep the guns in their cars don't they? It's pretty short turnaround after getting permission/going crazy and breaking open the box.

• ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote:
    The muhammed cartoons came from Denmark. Completly different country.

A Norwegian publisher released a book about the caricatures. Also, Libya.

Dis' wrote:
    Kipling217 wrote:

Yeah, but they keep the guns in their cars don't they? It's pretty short turnaround after getting permission/going crazy and breaking open the box.

Yeah, they do.

also, every norwegian newspaper published the caricatures at some point.

ftOqU21.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    To be fair, we shouldn't necessarily assume this is an act of Islamic terrorism. This reminds me in some way of the Oklahoma City Bombing which everyone assumed was Islamic at first as well. Thankfully its a much smaller scale, but bomb (likely in a vehicle) outside a national government building.

BBC is reporting the Prime Minister was scheduled to be at that youth camp where the fake police officer started shooting.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    If this guy managed to fool people into believing that he was a cop, he can't be a recent imigrant. He would have had to speak Norwegian to pull of the disguise. The routine check explanation he is suposed to have given.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Do they have the fake officer? Or is that guy dead somehow? That guy seems linked...

aRkpc.gif
    PantsB wrote:
    To be fair, we shouldn't necessarily assume this is an act of Islamic terrorism. This reminds me in some way of the Oklahoma City Bombing which everyone assumed was Islamic at first as well. Thankfully its a much smaller scale, but bomb (likely in a vehicle) outside a national government building.

BBC is reporting the Prime Minister was scheduled to be at that youth camp where the fake police officer started shooting.

I'm willing to bet a hell of a lot on it.

ftOqU21.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Shit.....

mvaYcgc.jpg
    ronya wrote:
    Do they have the fake officer? Or is that guy dead somehow? That guy seems linked...

I'm in contact with people in contact with people in contact with people there (yeah, I know)

it's still going on

ftOqU21.png
    Hearing that there are dead still inside the bombed buildings. Can't get them out because of damage to the buildings.

(posting with the TV2 Nyhetskanalen running in the background).

edited July 2011
    news says anti-terror police is on the way

facebook says the AUFers on the island say "don't call us, we're hiding"

EDIT: NRK is saying the same, dead inside the buildings

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Norway? Seriously? That's like breaking into someone's house, leaving the owner and the valuables alone, but grabbing the kitty and stuffing it in the blender.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    815165 wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    They have troops in Afganistan, that's all I can think of.

This sucks, at least there have been relatively few deaths so far.
    Norwegian buddy of mine thought of this:
    http://www.faithfreedom.org/features/news/norway-refuses-millions-of-dollars-from-saudi-arabia-for-mosque-building/

Appearantly the thing on Utoya is still going on... perpetrator is still at large and armed.

update, atleast three people shot on Utøya

ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote:
    update, atleast three people shot on Utøya

BBC just updated to five

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    PantsB wrote:

Killing the PM and bombing the department of Oil & Energy* seems less like it might have a more focused purpose than terrorizing the populace.

I don't know if that's better, worse, or what.

* Which is my understanding of this rather strange translation: "the attack was directed against the Oil and Energy, as in 16-era still is on fire. "

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote:
    Appearantly the thing on Utoya is still going on... perpetrator is still at large and armed.

Damn, hopefully he's taken into custody (or at least eliminated as a threat) soon.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Are the two related? The bombing and shooting?

Hard to imagine it wasn't. Both appear to be acts of political violence

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    PantsB wrote:

Killing the PM and bombing the department of Oil & Energy* seems less like it might have a more focused purpose than terrorizing the populace.

I don't know if that's better, worse, or what.

* Which is my understanding of this rather strange translation: "the attack was directed against the Oil and Energy, as in 16-era still is on fire. "

16-tiden = around 16.00

ftOqU21.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, it probably is. We have a bombing on the Prime Minister's office. Then within hours there is a shooting on an island where the PM was supposed to be speaking that day.

I'm guessing its an attempt on his life.

ObiFett on

Could be coincidence, but CNN says its AQ mo.

Forar wrote:
    Panda4You wrote:

Damn, hopefully he's taken into custody (or at least eliminated as a threat) soon.

Yeah. a guy firing wildly around himself on a small island chock-full of kids is really really bad

ftOqU21.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    (AP) Eyewitnesses told the AP that a man dressed as a police officer has fired several shots at Utøya in Buskerud.

AP spoke with one of those who were on Utøya where blasting a AUF event with over 700 people.

- The person legitimated themselves as police when he was transported to the island. He stated that this was a routine check in connection with the terrorist attack in Oslo, says the eyewitness to the AP.
    src

aRkpc.gif