As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need to Know if I was being a dick

nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just had an argument on facebook. Just need to know whether I or the other guy was being a jerk. So transcript.

Him- Did anyone else not care in the slightest about Dark Knight Rises until it came out he filmed a cameo?

Me-The most anticipated sequel to the most anticipated comic book movie ever about one of the hugest characters ever... Yeah I'm thinking it might just be you.

Him-Sorry but Dark Knight was not that good, and while I won't make a snide comment on the false superlative "hugest", I will question if Batman really qualifies as such. Within comics alone I would argue Superman and Spiderman have had larger cultural effects, and countless movie characters are bigger than all three combined. I know a lot of people who would join me in saying Batman Begins was ten times the movie Dark Knight was.

Me-Alright but most people disagree. And as for hugest well, I did say one of the hugest. Not the hugest.

Him-That doesn't make it a word.

Him- And popular opinion is wrong. We go with that and suddenly Transformers 3 and Pirates 4 are better than both Chris Nolan Batman movies. Hell, Green Lantern would be better than Super 8

Me- Uh no, the popular opinion is that Transformers movies sucked ass.

Him- Except more people paid to see it and bought more dvds. Internet fandom is an insular community chap.

Me-Yeah but I never talked about how much money they had. I was talking about peoples feelings about them. But also what the hell are you talking about? Batman is a very popular character, most people really like the dark Knight. Most people were super looking forward to DKR. Do you disagree with that?

Him-Are you pretending to not see my point or are you genuinely this dense. A movie makes money based on popularity. I.E. opinion. If a movie makes more money, especially in DVDs, people like it more en masse. Sure, a large population is excited for DKR. Never said they weren't. In fact my comment was expressing my own excitement, Mr Reading Comprehension. You just jumped out and were a dick saying "yup you're the only one. This is the best movie franchise on earth and opinions to the contrary must be from dumb people derp a derp

Me-That is not at all what I said. You are in fact the one being dense. Also no a movie makes money for various reasons

Me-You asked if you were the only one to not be excited about DKR until you found out Liam was in it. I pointed out that this movie has a lot of hype behind it so you were(hyperbolically) probably the only one who wasn't already super excited. That you took that as an insult ain't my fault dude.

Him-Please tell me. Why would a person buy a DVD of a film they liked less than another? Sales prices aside since those numbers are set at the retailer level. I'm very curious.

Him-And look back at your first comment. How you could pretend you didn't start this is beyond me

Me- Start what? Are you seriously suggesting that my first post was an insult to you?

Me-So upon looking it up TF2 did have a good DVD sell. So either people had a lot of buyers remorse or there are a lot of people who like it that I haven't met. I'll presume the later. So great, your right about something that had nothing to do with this.

Him-So you honestly believe because you have a fanboy thing for the franchise the none of the other 30 million active members of the movie going audience could possibly disagree? Fucking definition of dense. Seriously. Buy a dictionary. You could solve your whole thinking hugest is a word problem at the same time. Then you can learn some empathy for other opinions and realize that they vary.

Him-To me? Not necessarily. But to free will? To understanding how the capitalist system and popularity are directly connected? Yup

Me-No I don't think that. The Dark Knight movies are a very big franchise. This has nothing to do with me. It does very well and there is a lot of hype about it. So when you ask whether most people are excited about it for reasons other than liam the appropriate answer is "yes, very" that you took me pointing that fact out as an insult is your deal. Seriously man you can not like Dark Knight as much as most people all you like, I don't care

Him-Except it sold better than your movie. In this era you can't claim buyers remorse. Especially with a franchise. You don't get it. Who cares if you met them? We were talking about how much people liked Dark Knight, and I brought up movies that people liked more. Popular opinion isn't king. Fuck you. You give all geeks a bad name with your elitism. If people like you didn't exist nerd culture wouldn't be so loathed because people wouldn't see us as bitter gatekeepers of a bullshit cannon. I'm out. We've cluttered poor ___ page enough. Sorry bro

Me-Dude seriously, I have no idea what your talking about.

Me-And the buyers remorse thing was so obviously a joke that you taking it seriously physically hurts.

Him- You just sounded so dumb I wasn't sure you got jokes.

Opinions PA?

Quire.jpg
nightmarenny on

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You were both being dicks, but he was being a bigger one.

admanb on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Could you elaborate please? As is probably obvious since I'm asking people on the net whether I was a dick I have trouble talking to people I don't know. Probably people get used to expecting that the slightly insulting things I say were not meant that way. I'd love to get better speaking with people.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think you both need to take a step back and realize that you're arguing about a movie. Over Facebook.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Green DreamGreen Dream Registered User regular
    Well...your part in the conversation was at least intelligible...maybe you were being a dick for arguing with someone who has such an obvious problem stringing their ideas together?

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about this. You got sucked into a ridiculous conversation, and were maybe a little aggressive and carried it on when you could have just shut it down. Being the bigger man and putting a stop to it would be the way to go next time - maybe he thinks you're an idiot and he wins the internet, but he's the only one who's a dick.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    There's a really appropriate image that's used in situations like this, I think you know what it is.

This is one of the HUGE problems with things like IMs, texts, and message boards. Tone. Has. A. Terrible. Time. Conveying. Let me reiterate that. Tone has a terrible time conveying. No matter how many little winky smiley faces you throw in there, people are going to get chuffed over a whole lot of nothing because of all the misinterpretation. They can't see your face, your gestures, hear your voice. It makes it extremely difficult to separate all those out and still get a point across.

We looked at this in my Bio Anthro class. These forms of communication are kinda (really) fucking with human relations in more ways than one.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Things that don't work over the internet: sarcasm, subtlety, lighthearted jibes, tone, discussing anything with strangers. Type is a thin medium, and is shitty as hell for conveying mood or expression.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    well hugest isn't a word

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mts wrote:
    well hugest isn't a word

Actually, it's the superlative of "Huge". It does look funny though, doesn't it?

Esh on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    i would say it's the same exact argument happening in the trailers thread the other day... you aren't being dicks you're being normal :)

• Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    You went on someone else's profile and argued with them over their status update about their opinion of a movie and you're asking if you were being a dick? Yeah dude, you were being a dick.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    North wrote:
    You went on someone else's profile and argued with them over their status update about their opinion of a movie and you're asking if you were being a dick? Yeah dude, you were being a dick.

The guy he was arguing with and the profile owner were different.

Which sort of makes it worse. You entered into a long, drawn-out, snarky argument that shitted up someone elses wall. You were both being dicks.

edit: And you should take no solace in the fact that he was being a bigger dick.

exis on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Both of you took this conversation extremely seriously. This is Facebook, not some debate competition (or forum!), and the subject is some superhero movie. In any case he probably read your comment "Yeah I'm thinking it might just be you" in an insulting rather than playful tone and things went downhill from there.

I think you just got carried away trying to defend yourself on this trivial topic. I can tell the other guy is really a prick though, just from his usage of 'false superlative'.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    I just had an argument on facebook.

I think this says everything.

• Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    your first comment was pretty snooty

I think you should have just stopped commenting and moved on after the first or second post. When someone starts bringing up grammar and word usage in an internet argument you can bet both sides are going to look like assholes

DKFA7.gif