As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How does he get such smooth crisp outlines in PA? my lines in PS look all wobly.

rotanadanrotanadan Registered User new member
edited July 2011 in Artist's Corner
http://studio23.us/joe/inkingQ.jpg

Maybe I need so zoom out more to make smoother shorter hand motions? using paint brush tool like 96ish hardness.

rotanadan on

• Options
    rotanadanrotanadan Registered User new member
    Yea I have watched that, he makes pretty big strokes it seems, but they seem so clean and not wavering like mine, I wonder what the deal is. I should check to see if it shakes when the pen is just sitting still.

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Don't use Photoshop. Get Painter Sai for beautifully smooth lines.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Suzuka GreySuzuka Grey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Use the Pen Tool in Illustrator

It makes the most beautiful lines I've ever seen.

Suzuka Grey on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    How long have you been using your tablet?

(BTW, I think this is a topic more suited to the Questions thread.)

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    could be the size of your tablet/resolution of the image you're working on/flow setting

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    This is not a technical problem with some box being unticked in photoshop. There is no "deal", or trick, or special flick of the wrist, or magic tool/program.

Gabe has been inking PA 3 times a week for over a decade, in addition to all of his work outside the strip. His strokes are clean and confident, and yours are not, because he has been doing it a thousand times longer.

Even if you are rocking the smallest Bamboo tablet on the market, 95% of this issue is practice.

• Options
    OctirinOctirin Registered User regular
    rotanadan wrote:
    Maybe I need so zoom out more to make smoother shorter hand motions?
    I kinda wanna say the opposite: zoom in and make longer, quicker strokes. Maybe try with your hand/wrist off the tablet?

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Definitely make quicker strokes, you can always use ctrl z to go one step back, or alt ctrl z to go back more steps.
    It's nothing about your tablet settings or photoshop brushes. Wobbly lines come from a hand that isn't confident enough most of the time.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    This is not a technical problem with some box being unticked in photoshop. There is no "deal", or trick, or special flick of the wrist, or magic tool/program.

Gabe has been inking PA 3 times a week for over a decade, in addition to all of his work outside the strip. His strokes are clean and confident, and yours are not, because he has been doing it a thousand times longer.

Even if you are rocking the smallest Bamboo tablet on the market, 95% of this issue is practice.

This is absolutely correct. Just like playing the piano or performing a triple backflip, there is no trick. Just practice.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Agentflit wrote:
    Scosglen wrote:

This is absolutely correct. Just like playing the piano or performing a triple backflip, there is no trick. Just practice.

This is the answer.

This discussion has been closed.