As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bombing in [Oslo]

• Suzuka GreySuzuka Grey Registered User regular
    Friend of a facebook friend was killed in this attack!

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    80 campers with a gun? Jesus Christ, that's insane. I don't think even Jason Voorhees has taken out 80 campers.

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    80 campers with a gun? Jesus Christ, that's insane. I don't think even Jason Voorhees has taken out 80 campers.

Well that was incredibly tasteless.

They weren't campers in any case. Delegates of a youth camp for the left-wing Labour party of Norway. The perpetrator is presumably a right-wing extremist.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'm not aware of anyone ever killing that many people with just a gun outside of wartime. The highest bodycount rampages have been what, 20-30?

• DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Azio wrote:
    White, right wing Christian nationalist murders dozens of social democrats. Meanwhile, white right wing christian nationalists reflexively blame Muslims, immigrants, and accuse social democrats of letting in too many Muslim immigrants.

Surely these two parties have nothing in common.

Ahh yes, here it is.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote:
    I'm not aware of anyone ever killing that many people with just a gun outside of wartime. The highest bodycount rampages have been what, 20-30?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woo_Bum-kon

all you need is a police uniform an an automatic weapon ..

It wasn't intended to be. I mean, it's just the sheer enormity of the atrocity that got to me. When you think about Oklahoma City, which is what this has been compared to, it's easy to imagine a guy just pressing a button and blowing up a building in one horrific act. But this... this is actually shooting individuals one after another, sometimes execution style. 80 times in a row. That takes some other sort of dementia, I think. It's so much more calculating and devoid of human emotion.

I think he just plays a lot of CoD.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jeez, this is awful.

I think the only thing more surprising than the 80+ people killed is the fact that they captured him alive.

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I heard he was shot down, but they are interrogating him now

Alfred J. Kwak on
    So, I'm curious.

How should he be punished for this? You know, if he was caught alive and allegedly killed 80 people?

y6GGs3o.gif
    edited July 2011
    Demerdar wrote:
    So, I'm curious.

How should he be punished for this? You know, if he was caught alive and allegedly killed 80 people?

Prison.

Probably a forced admission to a secure psychiatric hospital.

Daxon on
    edited July 2011
    Does Norway have the death penalty?

Edit: Oh, they don't. Well, that's too bad.

Delta Assault on
    No.

if you ever have to go to prison, you want to do it in Norway

Demerdar wrote:
    So, I'm curious.

I'm only against the death penalty because I don't trust the system to be reasonably accurate enough to deal out that sort of punishment. But clearly there's no doubt in this case, so that's what I'd support. Find out his reasons, see if anyone else is involved, make sure there's no other bomb plots or anything going on, then shoot him into the sun.

edited July 2011
    Demerdar wrote:
    So, I'm curious.

He will likely serve 21 years in prison for those killings.

Suzuka Grey on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    It wasn't intended to be. I mean, it's just the sheer enormity of the atrocity that got to me. When you think about Oklahoma City, which is what this has been compared to, it's easy to imagine a guy just pressing a button and blowing up a building in one horrific act. But this... this is actually shooting individuals one after another, sometimes execution style. 80 times in a row. That takes some other sort of dementia, I think. It's so much more calculating and devoid of human emotion.

It sounds like some sort of OCD to me. Not the killing part, the ability to do the same damn thing eighty times in a row.

edited July 2011
    Demerdar wrote:
    So, I'm curious.

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe it is possible that he is indefinitely detained in a psychiatric hospital.

ie they wouldn't release him if they don't think he's been rehabilitated and capable of normal life, but that would be up to the assessment of the psychiatrists.

Though if the psychiatrists thought he was better following a time less than 21 years and want to release him from their care they would release him to a prison where he would serve the remainder of his sentence then be let out.

NB: This is what I think could possibly happen, I am not in any way sure if this is how the system works.

Daxon on
    Either way, he got off incredibly easy for just killing 80 people in a row.

They should have just shot him dead where he stood, but to each his own.

they will probably lock him in a mental hospital for the rest of his pathetic life, or so I assume

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Demerdar wrote:
    So, I'm curious.

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe it is possible that he is indefinitely detained in a psychiatric hospital.

ie they wouldn't release him if they don't think he's been rehabilitated and capable of normal life, but that would be up to the assessment of the psychiatrists.

Though if the psychiatrists thought he was better following a time less than 21 years and want to release him from their care they would release him to a prison where he would serve the remainder of his sentence then be let out.

NB: This is what I think could possibly happen, I am not in any way sure if this is how the system works.[/quote]

This is what I expect to happen as well.

Indefinitely detained unless he is observed to be capable of becoming a normal individual again, which after a while is certainly possible.

Is that really justice though

• South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    Either way, he got off incredibly easy for just killing 80 people in a row.

They should have just shot him dead where he stood, but to each his own.

If he was working with a group, taking him alive would be necessary to learn information about them. Also lets him be held accountable in a court of law.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    I'm sure they'll think of something to not let him go free ever again

Indefinitely detained unless he is observed to be capable of becoming a normal individual again, which after a while is certainly possible.

Let's not derail the thread. But yes, that's how the Norwegian justice system works. Revenge is a poor basis for justice.

Daxon wrote:

Let's not derail the thread. But yes, that's how the Norwegian justice system works. Revenge is a poor basis for justice.

I just want to know how they came up with 21 years, as opposed to something lower like 10 years.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just want to know how they came up with 21 years, as opposed to something lower like 10 years.

A comprehensive study of, y'know, actual data written by actual experts in the area of criminal behavior.

Something that lawmakers here would scoff at, of course - but that's why our system is an abysmal failure and theirs is not.

In any case, holy shit, this is easily the deadliest shooting spree ever committed by a single individual. And, of course, it had to be a bunch of teenagers at a summer camp.

What the Hell kind of gun(s) was he using?

EDIT: Given that the bombing itself was probably just a diversion, could we change this thread's title to 'Massacre in Utoya'? That just seems more appropriate.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited July 2011
    That's getting me, too. You don't kill 80 people and injure dozens more with a handgun. Even an assault rifle would require hundreds if not thousands of rounds for him to hit that many people.

Was the dude dressed like fucking Rambo when he got on the ferry?

Scooter on
    edited July 2011
    No, he was dressed as a police officer. That's how he got people to come near him. You hear shots fired, walk out and see a police officer, you'll run toward him.

Delta Assault on
    'automatic weapons' and shotguns is all I heard. Many of the victims might have drowned when they tried to escape through the water.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wonder if he took the effort to get photographed by a professional knowing the infamy that would come to him.

Hoz on
    edited July 2011
    also he might have killed as many as 1/5 of the people on the island

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • DavosDavos Registered User regular

This is not a fucking video game

Demerdar wrote:
    So, I'm curious.

This makes me so unbelievably angry I don't know where to start.

He should be killed. Brutally, if possible.

Davos wrote:
    Demerdar wrote:
    So, I'm curious.

This makes me so unbelievably angry I don't know where to start.

He should be killed. Brutally, if possible.

Yeah, because that's exactly how a rational and egalitarian society functions. On impulsive emotions.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote:
    That's getting me, too. You don't kill 80 people and injure dozens more with a handgun. Even an assault rifle would require hundreds if not thousands of rounds for him to hit that many people.

Was the dude dressed like fucking Rambo when he got on the ferry?

Well, I mean, I guess a jumpsuit is what you'd want to be wearing if you wanted to conceal that you were decked-out with ammunition from the shoulders down.

And as Delta pointed-out, he was impersonating a police officer, so even if it were obvious that he was heavily armed, the folks operating the ferry might not have thought too much of it.

I'm just vexed that his weapons didn't eventually clog-up and jam.

...Oh. And, of course, Above Top Secret's forums are already bringing the first rumors of government conspiracy to the Interwebs. Joy. >.<

With Love and Courage
    Daxon wrote:

A man who killed 80 people and getting off after 21 years is not justice.

edited July 2011
    technically it is

they'll never let him go free again though

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is more than two Virginia Techs. In fact, it's about 2.5 Virginia Techs just to give you an idea of how terrible this is.

YL9WnCY.png