Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So, What's cool about PAX?

iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
PAX has been around for a while now and it seems like we're all here because we enjoy it here but why? I've been looking around a little since I've started updating myself with PAX-goings-on and noticed the social tone: most of the threads are about constructive cultural things like meet-ups, extra-event related activities, button-trading, etc... I just wanted to touch back to an early time when we all fell in love with an experience that brought us here. What about PAX has made it so special to you that you'd participate as you do?

I for one have been a servant to the ideas I've taken away from my PAX experience. As a student, I devote a lot of my attention to understanding this culture because of how positively I've seen it impact the lives of we who attend. I'm a very different person because of the time I've spent each year with all of you and the PA crowd; all of this influences me deeply and I take it with me to work and I plan to use it every day in the future. :) I'm here because I had NO IDEA how fucking cool it is to be a gamer until Penny Arcade took the time to do this thing for all of us.

So... anyone feel like working on this with me? :D

--
ETA.Confidence
EscapeTheAsylum.com
iamconfidence on

• SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    I live in Seattle, a city of nerds, and the inherent social problems that come with it. Seattleites, though we hate to admit it, are often distant and difficult to make friends with. We don't go beyond exchanging pleasantries when we talk to strangers, and we rarely do that. At the bus stop, on the bus, in the cafe, we tend not to talk to people.

At PAX, the normal geek-reserve seems not to apply. Everyone around you is your friend, you just haven't met them yet. If I turn around to the guy behind me in line and ask if he wants to play a quick pickup game of whatever, he doesn't look at me like I'm crazy. It's wonderful.

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso Registered User regular
    Saxicide wrote:
    I live in Seattle, a city of nerds, and the inherent social problems that come with it. Seattleites, though we hate to admit it, are often distant and difficult to make friends with. We don't go beyond exchanging pleasantries when we talk to strangers, and we rarely do that. At the bus stop, on the bus, in the cafe, we tend not to talk to people.

At PAX, the normal geek-reserve seems not to apply. Everyone around you is your friend, you just haven't met them yet. If I turn around to the guy behind me in line and ask if he wants to play a quick pickup game of whatever, he doesn't look at me like I'm crazy. It's wonderful.

QFT. I'm originally from California, but Seattle fits me like a glove... except for the social interaction. I pretty much have one or two friends through my wife, my awesome wife, and more acquaintances to have some semblance of a social life. But honestly I don't have any gamer friends as I left them all behind, so I usually just stay home and spend time with my wife, or go out and do non-gamer stuff with friends.

PAX is one of those times that I really feel part of a community up here. Everyone stops having the preconception that other people don't want to talk to you or are busy. As Saxicide said, you can easily just start a conversation with someone at PAX, and feel comfortable doing so.

Coming to PAX for the first time honestly felt like I was in Nirvana. Everyone is here for one reason, and one reason only: to be who they are.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    Nothing. Nothing is cool about PAX.

Its all just a big practical joke designed to get chumps to spend hundreds of dollars traveling to Seattle to hang around for a few days doing nothing. And everyone is in on it except you.

Yes you. Refund yo tickets and get out while you still can homie!

Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User
    Nice! :D My friend Matt's been the past three years and says he couldn't imagine missing ever again. I've never seen anything like a PAX JoCo Concert... moments of incredible unity all across the concert hall. I went one year by myself but met two amazing guys in line the first morning who I hung out with the whole time. On Saturday afternoon I found out one of them was an enterprise level IT consultant and A Dr who was working in medical consulting rather than running a practice. :D It blew me away how cool it was that these two long time high school buddies came out for a good time and were just so open... SO MANY are like that and it feels so right. :)

Thanks for posting.

--
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    I first went to PAX in 2005 and made the decision to go every time because it was such a great time. After so many years, I still manage to find a way to keep my experience fresh. There's always something to do that I haven't done in previous years, and I'm not afraid to miss out on things anymore, because I know I can always try that experience next year.

E6LkoFK.png

• p0rtugalviip0rtugalvii Registered User regular
    I enjoy pax because of the awesome weird nerdy people around me. It's like being in a confined space with people I could get along with. Also free swag is nice. Pax subconsciously gave me the idea to play d&d for the first time this year and actually start up playing magic. It's awesome and I love knowing that I can have this fun with the thousands of attendees that are at pax.

PSN: p0rtugal_VII
    XBL: DJBlackMage
    Youtube: p0rtugalvii
    Twitter: @p0rtugalvii
  • pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I first went to PAX in 2005 and made the decision to go every time because it was such a great time. After so many years, I still manage to find a way to keep my experience fresh. There's always something to do that I haven't done in previous years, and I'm not afraid to miss out on things anymore, because I know I can always try that experience next year.
    This is a big reason why I get excited for PAX. I may have joined the pax party late (2009) but i'm still the life of the party. :P

Really there is nothing like having 60000+ people who are all on the same level as you and in the same location for the same reason! There is no other event like pax in the world. No one is there because they have to like E3 or because they are competing like Dreamhack. It's a great chance to meet people just like you while in gaming Nirvana.

I mean you have movie nights, pc and console play, upcoming games being able to be played early, concerts, community events (check out my hookah meetup :P shameless plug), tourneys, mega 64 debauchery, awesome memorabilia, free stuff, awesome people, panels with industry professionals, famous people!, getting drunk off four loco in some dudes hotel who you just met, THE LIST GOES ON

Also its a cheap way to get get clothes for the upcoming year.....

pillarofdawn on
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    It's really all about the people. I don't even particularly go to PAX for PAX anymore, it just happens to be the place where a whole bunch of awesome people are.

• AndymanAndyman Registered User regular
    It really is all about the people. Last year my buddies and I went to a near by bar one of the evenings and just happened to sit at a table by some guys playing Magic and even though we had never met we knew we were already friends. Drinking, drunk singing, and all around merriment, crazy antics, and tom foolery happened. How often does that happen in a bar? Well, maybe slightly more often than I'm assuming, but that's not the point!

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    The people are a HUGE factor in it. If PAX 05 had been exactly the same, minus the awesome people I met, I probably wouldn't have kept coming back. Probably.

E6LkoFK.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, without the people, there is no PAX. PAX is just a vehicle for the people to use in order to come together and create this "THING" that is so damned awesome. It's the framework/web that we use to find each other, and connect in a comfortable environment.

mea5boj.pngoW9G6G8.png
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    For me it's seeing all my old friends again and meeting new people. For this year though it's Halofest. :P

iris_forumsig.gif
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Registered User regular
    This year is going to be my first PAX. It really sounds like a home away from home. I can't wait lol!

• SilvertwinnSilvertwinn Going on 40. "Get off my lawn!"Registered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote:
    This year is going to be my first PAX. It really sounds like a home away from home. I can't wait lol!

We're in the same boat, then. :-) Everything sounds like so much fun and I am literally bouncing in anticipation. Reading this thread only makes it worse. ;-)

• HeyJoeHeyJoe Registered User regular
    Everything. This will be my second year, and I can easily see myself returning for the next 10 years. It's sensory overload, and I consider 2010 to be merely a learning experience... so that now, I can hopefully get even more out of PAX if that makes any kind of sense. As others have said, the people are great. It's just a wonderful thing.

Silver- Cool glad i'm not the only first timer :D

Joe- Lol yeah i get the feeling this is going to be my learning year. So next year it'll be even more amazing. So is it bad that i'm already planning for next year when i haven't even gone this year? :D

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    @Jimmywild

Indeed! My wife and I are heading out for our first PAX and she's already trying to figure out how to make a repeat deal.

tsr- Thats great! :D

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    So says you, I'm not entirely sure where she plans on coming up with the cash ;). Thank god for friends to stay with for most of the week. (she wanted to get a Friday saturday room at the Hyatt so we can sleep quickly without the commute.)

LOL! Well, I began the thread with the idea that some people would be attending for the first time and have reasons to anticipate attending while we also have those who've been to every PAX so far or who're as hardcore as Moe, Worm and zerzhul. ;) I know some of you, as you've said, are deeply invested and have some fantastic relationships with some legit robust sub-communities now even, it's astonishing. I'm especially after what the community founds its joy on: since you've been around PAX what has impressed you the most? Are there reasons besides how AMAZING it is to not only fit in but have a marvellously good time together doing the things we all like best? :D I love that bit too but what an incredible experience besides, right?!

LOL @ Moe's purely social response given that he's a community moderator here. ;D

--
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
    lol yeah it gets a little spendy.

I'm hoping that the awesomeness > cash expenditure :D

• blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    This woll be my first PAX Prime and my first trip to the west coast. From what Saxicide wrote Seattle sounds just like me. Im really looking forward to this trip and meeting a lot of new people.

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    07 was my first year, and I was recruited into the Enforcers by one of my best college friends. Without PAX, that whole summer would have been a bust. My best friends are all involved in PAX somehow now. Enforcing, attending, media, everything. Moe's CCST brought me to my first show, and because of how often I'd driven by the WSCC that summer I was able to direct the convoy to the final destination.

I met my husband at a pre-pax community event in 2009. Among the 30K people floating around the convention, he sought me out and found me on Saturday.

So many relationships, friendships, and partnerships have started at PAX for me. Seriously, I couldn't tell you what panels there were last year or who had a booth in Expo (except Duke Nukem), but I can name 300 friends I've made in the past 4 years.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    We have a great tribe of gamer friends here, and get together quite often, which is awesome. But going to PAX is like going to a giant gathering of the greater tribe of geeks and nerds. It's a truly awesome experience to see so many people in one place with one passion: gaming. My favorite camera shots are always the Great Nerdening at the beginning, as the masses make their way up the escalators, and the Great Departure, with the same folks, now exhausted, covered in buttons and badges and stickers, leaving en masse.

I love meeting new people. I love meeting up with people I met last year, or chatted with online in the time between PAXes. I love trying new games and talking about games and looking at games and thinking about games.

Not *that* kind of princess.
  • Gate28Gate28 Registered User regular
    I'm in a different boat than most of you, I guess. While I do enjoy meeting new people and playing games with them, I really enjoy meeting the people who make the games I play and asking them questions. I spend a lot of my time in the expo hall talking with developers. I also spend a lot of time in the board games and tabletop games rooms learning new games with people.

Sweet Jesus, Gate28! I'm so glad you said something! :D Anyone else got anything?

--
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Csifreak86Csifreak86 Registered User regular
    This will be my second PAX but the first one that im going to just to have fun last year i worked for square enix and it was a blast got to walk around and have fun when i got off. But this year i get to do everything and im so excited its also my husbands first PAX and hes the one that made me the gamer i am now :D I Just love PAX for the soul reason that no matter what line im in i can turn around and start talking to someone like i have known them my whole life :D
    Also this years PAX is really special for me because the last day of it falls on my birthday so PAX will make it awesome :D so excited only a month to go wish it was sooner i have been ready since last years PAX :D (*) :bz

• eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User
    This is going to be my third PAX. I find that being able to do more each year pales in comparison to the people you end up meeting. I only regret not being able to really see these people on a regular basis, although twitter does help to fill the gap somewhat. This gathering of gamers and geeks is made of all sorts of awesome... and magic... and awesome magic. It's all thanks to you guys.

The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • MarkJWMarkJW Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I go to PAX to see things I've never seen before and meet people I've never met before.

That being said...
    Nothing. Nothing is cool about PAX.

Its all just a big practical joke designed to get chumps to spend hundreds of dollars traveling to Seattle to hang around for a few days doing nothing. And everyone is in on it except you.

Yes you. Refund yo tickets and get out while you still can homie!
    Why the hell was this dude infracted for this post? It was sarcastic, obviously. For fuck's sake folks, stop being so uptight and lay off the report button.

EDIT: Point proven. :l

MarkJW on
    PAX Prime 2013 Checklist   ➤   ✔ Enforcer Badge   ✔ Hotel   ✔ Flight

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    Nice! :D My friend Matt's been the past three years and says he couldn't imagine missing ever again. I've never seen anything like a PAX JoCo Concert... moments of incredible unity all across the concert hall. I went one year by myself but met two amazing guys in line the first morning who I hung out with the whole time. On Saturday afternoon I found out one of them was an enterprise level IT consultant and A Dr who was working in medical consulting rather than running a practice. :D It blew me away how cool it was that these two long time high school buddies came out for a good time and were just so open... SO MANY are like that and it feels so right. :)

Thanks for posting.

Do you remember when Paul&Storm did "Nugget Man" and you could see the ceiling of Benaroya Hall through the sheer power of backlit handheld screens alone? That was the most memorable moment for me.

• GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Registered User regular
    I started going to PAX in 2009. I've never been the same since. It has made me realize how nerdy I am, and how much I geek out over things haha. Sadly, I'm not too social and haven't made any friends except one, and we've never met! I'm hoping that this year that will all change since I'm rooming with fellow attendees and going to meet up's and such. I try to bring more people every year and have gotten one of my friends addicted as well. The energy of the whole convention is just astouding and something you can't find anywhere else and I LOVE that. It's like having that "Christmas morning" feeling for three whole days.

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • gorblixgorblix Registered User
    I would have to agree with everyone else, it's the people. For me it's one person in particular, my sister. We made a vow that no matter what we are doing in life or where we are, we will always do PAX together, only me and her. No husbands, no girlfriends, just her and me (and friends of course). PAX has enabled us to do something that we are both passionate about, geek out over games. The OP mentioned they "wanted to touch back to an early time when we all fell in love with an experience that brought us here." The additonal events are what pushed me over the top in loving my PAX experience. Geeking out at the Tri-Wizard tournament, Guild Wars 2 party at the Hardrock, and EVE onlines amazing club party all sealed the deal for me with PAX. PAX has grown to so much more than a gaming convention. I'm not so much shy as I truly enjoy watching people interact with one another. No where is this more enjoyable to watch than PAX. I can not even count the numbers of times I saw people turn around in line and makes friends with the person behind them. I haven't seen that happen anywhere else. At PAX everyone's your friend you just have to figure out their name :)!

• G4MERG4MER Registered User
    2009 Was my First PAX, and I look forward to it each year.. mostly because I get to hang out in Seattle with my life long best friend, get all stupid and nerdy/geeky and play games, and be with like minded individuals. If your not having fun at PAX your doing it wrong.

g4mer_paxsig.png