As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So when is the next big thing coming out (As in what shall replace Radeon 6990/ GTX590)?

BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
I know it may still be early to wonder it is now some months since the current fastest cards came out and I'm in the process of upgrading my PC I am wondering. Any words as to what comes next? And when?

Or maybe I should just bite the bullet and make a choice. Thoughts?

For reference, not that it matters to the main subject of this thread.
=============================================
Current rig:
Motherboard GA-P55A-UD6
i7-870
4 GB ram
Radeon 4890 2 GB
80 SSD + 2x1.5TB (Raid 1)
WinXP

Upgrade shopping list:
4 GB ram for a total of 8 GB
Win7 64 bit (Not sure which version, Home Premium seems the best choice)
Graphics card (singular)
Silent case with more room (current one need modding by angle grinder to hold CPU cooler)

Bones heal, glory is forever.
BlindZenDriver on

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just SLI a pair of 590s...

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Are you having any issues running any games? Because that's the only reason to upgrade your card.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    No matter when you buy you could wait and get equal performance for less or more for the same price. Whether or not it's going to be enough for you depends upon the games and the resolution at which you play.

What and when (re: the next big thing) is speculation. I speculate the next big thing will require the process shrink to 28nm; whether the improvement will be reduced power consumption, cheaper prices, or better performance I've no idea.

I see rumors that for AMD that's going to be around Q3/4 2011 and for nvidia that's been pushed back to 2012. Though I've no idea about the quality of that info.

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    If you want to buy now save some money and buy a HD 6950 2GB card. AMD is supposed to have their 7000 series out in a few months using the new 28nm process. We have no idea what Nvidia is doing.

That is the worst advice ever.

• Options
    Are you having any issues running any games? Because that's the only reason to upgrade your card.

Not really any issues. I play at 2560x1440 and supposedly having 2 GB helps a bit with the high resolution.

The whole upgrade thing is more that my XP installation has some sort of problem (Long story - this can be skipped. Lately When writing files to a disk it makes the CPU work overtime. At first I thought it was an issue with the software driven RAID that I run but it's the same when writing to the SSD. Even the minor disk writing due to downloading something makes the whole system so slow it can't play a video fx. watching a clip on youtube is not possible due to caching of data and playback on the same time will mess up, so I must wait for the whole clip to be cached and then download.)

Anyway since an OS reinstall is coming up I figure why not make the GPU jump while I'm at it. Which then led to me opening the discussion.

Thank you all. I think I'll try and make it till more is know about possible new offerings from AMD.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you want to buy now save some money and buy a HD 6950 2GB card. AMD is supposed to have their 7000 series out in a few months using the new 28nm process. We have no idea what Nvidia is doing.

Okay, triple SLI some 590s.

Watercool and OC the hell out of those suckers, too.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Better yet, quad-SLI four 590s and install a sound card, internal capture card, wireless networking card, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a 1TB SSD.

Then install liquid nitrogen cooling and 100%+ OC everything.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What are you, crazy? That system would warrant 32 gigs of RAM.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Better yet, quad-SLI four 590s and install a sound card, internal capture card, wireless networking card, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and a 1TB SSD.

Then install liquid nitrogen cooling and 100%+ OC everything.

Just to point out you can not run GTX 590s in triple or quad SLI because they are duel GPU cards. You also can't really over clock GTX 590s as well because they're already running near the total limit at stock to compete with the HD 6990.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options

Watercool and OC the hell out of those suckers, too.[/quote]

Okay, stop posting useless words.

• Options
    I can see your BBcode, man.