As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 7/20/11 - World of Echolation

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
Some comics came out today, dudes, and I have been using what might be one of my last days off for awhile to dive into the stacks.

I got two weeks of books today, and I also revisited some of my backlog to pair it down for awhile. I had some good moments, but a lot of them were in the older books. Just not too many standouts this week, plus I'm still behind on FF and Green Lantern, so I'm bypassing those for now.

But we need to talk about this new Daredevil by Mark Waid. Because I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's either going to be really good and awesome, or kind of dull. I can't say for sure yet. But, I do love the Spot and that's half of the reason I picked the book up.

I get that Matt has had a hard time, but we're at a point where him always having to go through hell is half of his character. I'm worried that Daredevil's life as a swinging, lite-and-brite lawyer type might just get too generic, which is the same way I feel about the character outside of the stuff by Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker.

I'm going to give the book a chance just because I love to see Mark Waid writing a superhero for the Big Two again. But if I'm not hooked in the next couple of issues, I might bounce.

I don't have a scanner at the moment, so the things in spoiler tags are actual spoilers.
The chaff missile was really cool, and all the echolation images were, as well as the sort of audio-scope in the backup. Great art on both. I'll pick the next issue up to see what Cap does.

Also, James Robinson is ending his JLA in a pretty wonderful way. It's been a very uneven run, with big ideas and poor executions, but the entire Eclipso arc was the highlight, and the last couple issues have been pretty cool. He ends the arc here, in order to use his final issue as a goodbye to the team that he has honestly done a pretty good job exploring and maturing.
Ray Palmer tells the current JLA that they've done a great job stepping up while the other heroes have been too busy. Palmer says that he hopes they can continue on and remain as the JLA lineup for as long as possible. The very next page is a silver age homage of Dick-Batman dramatically dissolving the JLA :(

Robinson has had a very hit and miss run since his return to comics, and even more so since his JLA began with Cry for Justice. But a little part of me honestly will miss the book and the lineup without him, and I'm really sad that we're losing Dick-Bats, Donna Troy, Congo Bill, and Mikaal.

HadjiQuest on

• Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Mikaal is going to be in the first issue of Shade

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Has Robinson said anything about how Shade/Starman (all of them) fit into the relaunch?

I probably won't get my comics until tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to DD. Like, Mark Waid Ka-Zar/Cap excited to read it.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TexiKen wrote:
    Has Robinson said anything about how Shade/Starman (all of them) fit into the relaunch?

I probably won't get my comics until tomorrow, but I'm really looking forward to DD. Like, Mark Waid Ka-Zar/Cap excited to read it.

Yeah, I can't imagine him doing a Shade miniseries without mentioning Golden Age Flash or Starman, but there's no clear indication that that generation ever even existed in the new DCU.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Daredevil was fantastic. Perfect balance of light-hearted humor and drama and stunning, stunning art.

Ultimate Fallout wasn't as hard hitting as Part 1 but Hickman's plans for Thor are going to go into interesting territory and J. Jonah Jameson is always wonderful. I still do not give a shit about Rogue though.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Does Fallout #2 have more dialogue than #1?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh yes, lots more.

There are very few splash pages/one dialogue balloon pages.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    The art of Avengers #15 god damn Bachalo <3

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    The art of Avengers #15 god damn Bachalo <3

I loved him on issue 13, but I couldn't tell what was going on in some of the fight scenes this week.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Tiny Titans from this week's DC Preview book on Comixology:
    rJoSE.jpg

From what I've seen of this series, it almost makes me wish I had kids of my own to buy it for.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Hawkeye you fucking mac-daddy

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    How is Daredevil?

• Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:

Yeah, I can't imagine him doing a Shade miniseries without mentioning Golden Age Flash or Starman, but there's no clear indication that that generation ever even existed in the new DCU.

He said it's the exact same as he originally planned it, the only change he had to make was to have Deathstroke wear his new costume, but even then, his role in the story remains the same.

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    My MOTW was the new Locke & Key, Clockworks. It was as cool as always and the last page was just nifty. I think each issue of Locke & Key may be the piece of serialised fiction(TV, comics, what have you) I look forward to most.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Marvel Universe vs. Punisher #2, a shotgun to the face always works:
    marveluniversevswolverine2c.jpg

And Gates of Gotham #3, Damian just got served by Tim:
    batmangatesofgotham3b.jpg

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Gank wrote:
    My MOTW was the new Locke & Key, Clockworks. It was as cool as always and the last page was just nifty. I think each issue of Locke & Key may be the piece of serialised fiction(TV, comics, what have you) I look forward to most.

I basically get giddy every time I see Locke & Key is coming out that week

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    I know, right?

galactussig-1.jpg