As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:
    How much time you've spent bending doesn't determine whether or not you're a world class bender. Katara bested her waterbender tutor despite him having years of practice over her.
    When did she best him? She lost the fight with him.

And nothing you posted contradicts the fact that Zuko has never been the best nor is there any reason to think he does become the best.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Well once Iroh and the other Order of the Lotus fire guy die, he has a shot at it right? I mean, Ozai is done and it stands to reason that Azula is too batshit crazy to really be effective anymore. I don't think the show gave us any other firebenders of his caliber.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Anyways it's kinda lame when all your main characters are/become the best ever at whatever they do. No Grey's Anatomy cast plz!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wonder if the technology will be at a similar level to, say, Fullmetal Alchemist. That could be really cool.

That reminds me of how the whole "fire benders needing a source" COULD have worked in the live action TLA movie if the fire nation had been wearing flint gloves. Of course that would have required a competent director and writer.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Yes it's entirely possible that Zuko becomes the bestest fire bender in the world.

But all I have said that he currently is not, and there is so far no reason to believe he does become the best.

I'm not sure what's giving people a hard time with this.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote:
    Anyways it's kinda lame when all your main characters are/become the best ever at whatever they do. No Grey's Anatomy cast plz!

People with PC class levels are better than those without. This is a known fact.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    I thought she was more or less beating him until the very end, but maybe I've remembered it wrong.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bethryn wrote:
    Quid wrote:
    I thought she was more or less beating him until the very end, but maybe I've remembered it wrong.

She put up a great fight and even impressed him but she was never close to beating him.

Edit: Because, as a matter of fact, practice does count for quite a bit as far as bending goes.

Quid on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Yes it's entirely possible that Zuko becomes the bestest fire bender in the world.

But all I have said that he currently is not, and there is so far no reason to believe he does become the best.

I'm not sure what's giving people a hard time with this.

I think the problem is that people are looking at it from two different viewpoints. At the end of the series, no, Zuko is not the best firebender in the world.

However, Zuko would have plenty of time to study under Iroh (assuming his heart doesn't give out) and the renegade general whose name I can't remember, and pretty much anyone he summons as Fire Lord.

Zuko was not the best firebender in the world the last time we saw him, but in the 70yrs since, if he's still alive, he has probably improved.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2011
    He's also probably been busy running a country.

I have no doubt Zuko would have improved, but I don't see him being obsessed with becoming the best like Toph or Azula. Especially not to the point of summoning people to his palace for his own selfish ends. It's not really the kind of person he is.

Quid on
  • Options
    Just saw this in SE (HUGE image) http://i.imgur.com/hW5oZ.jpg

So she will at some point pick up a couple guy pals who can fire and earth bend, respectively.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    I wonder if the technology will be at a similar level to, say, Fullmetal Alchemist. That could be really cool.

That reminds me of how the whole "fire benders needing a source" COULD have worked in the live action TLA movie if the fire nation had been wearing flint gloves. Of course that would have required a competent director and writer.

Roy Mustang creates his own fuel using alchemy. Fire Benders in the MNS film can't do that. You may be thinking of Pyro of the X-Men.

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    I like how buff Korra is.

Because when you spend your life practicing martial arts you should be, but so many people ignore that on female characters.

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is it okay to be miffed at the "Avatar" name being stripped from it because of a certain film?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Pata wrote:
    I like how buff Korra is.

Because when you spend your life practicing martial arts you should be, but so many people ignore that on female characters.

She can rip a phone book in half.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Who was her water-bending master?
    I rally hope it was Katara because I want to see that rain -> ice spikes thing again.
    On the other hand, teaching your dead boyfriend in a girl's body how to waterbend, again, might have gotten a little weird.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The guy on the left in that poster looks a little bland. He kind of seems like he would be a random villager in the original series.

Korra looks totally thugged out though. Super excited.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    Who was her water-bending master?
    I rally hope it was Katara because I want to see that rain -> ice spikes thing again.
    On the other hand, teaching your dead boyfriend in a girl's body how to waterbend, again, might have gotten a little weird.

Well, probably husband by then, and it'd be kinda redundant considering their son is the Airbending master that motivates her coming to the big city. I don't think she'll be alive at that point, if I were to place bets on the likeliest of the main characters to show up as an old person, it'd be Toph. Because old lady Toph would be awesome.

I do hope that there will be flashbacks to the intervening years, I always wonder about characters that have their whole life ahead at the end of a story. Toph would've made one hell of a head of the reformed, less dickish Dai Li.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I keep imagining Sokka as a crazy old Doc Brown type character.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    Is it okay to be miffed at the "Avatar" name being stripped from it because of a certain film?

Very much so, especially since the cartoon came first and is much better.

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I'm just curious as to if they are going to address the fact that Aang had the ability to give people Airbending. I really hope we see Airbenders existing, because it'd be long enough for Aang-created Airbenders to have had children who are natural users.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Old Toph would be like lady Bumi

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    the_aviator_poster.jpg

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Old Toph would be like lady Bumi

crossed with those old fire nation ladies

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Super excited about this.

Apparently trailer coming out later today/tomorrow!

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Zuko isn't the best firebender in the world because Ozai, Azula and Iroh exist, but now that Ozai is gone they're probably the best. However, Azula's also incapacitated, leaving Zuko and Iroh. Out of the two, Iroh is better. However, there's no reason to believe Zuko doesn't become as powerful as Ozai eventually. There's no reason not to believe it, either.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Zuko isn't the best firebender in the world because Ozai, Azula and Iroh exist, but now that Ozai is gone they're probably the best. However, Azula's also incapacitated, leaving Zuko and Iroh. Out of the two, Iroh is better. However, there's no reason to believe Zuko doesn't become as powerful as Ozai eventually. There's no reason not to believe it, either.

What makes you think any of these people are alive?

It's 75 years in the future..

edit: oh yeah Bumi survived quite well for a hundred years hmm..

Daxon on
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:

Oh I didn't mean in the new series, just in general. Theoretically some of them could be alive but I seriously doubt it.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:

Oh I didn't mean in the new series, just in general. Theoretically some of them could be alive but I seriously doubt it.

Oh okay!

• Options

And the master leading the rebellion. Someone said avatars tend to learn from the best benders. They then said Zuko is the best bender. I pointed out this is not true.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Sokka and Toph as old people would be pretty awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote:

And the master leading the rebellion. Someone said avatars tend to learn from the best benders. They then said Zuko is the best bender. I pointed out this is not true.

I thought the series made it pretty clear that
    Zuko was not the best bender and that he struggled his entire life only to be in Azula's shadow. Aang learned from Zuko because no other fire bender would teach him (except for Iroh, maybe?).

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote:

Zuko was not the best bender and that he struggled his entire life only to be in Azula's shadow. Aang learned from Zuko because no other fire bender would teach him (except for Iroh, maybe?).

Except Zuko probably ended up a better bender because of the whole dragon thing.

• Options
    Daxon wrote:
    Quid wrote:

Except Zuko probably ended up a better bender because of the whole dragon thing.

Personally I'd imagine he became an excellent fire bender and one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful. But seeing as how this is all pure speculation we'll only know if the next Avatar series reveals any information about him.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I would certainly expect the Fire Lord that has made contact with dragons to be pretty high-ranking as a firebender

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Daxon wrote:

It taught him a better method but his sister was still more skilled. He only beat her because she started getting deranged. Up until he saw that he was still certain he would need help.

@Zombie: Yeah pretty much.

• Options
    Somewhere down the line Iroh had to die, which would happen before Zuko would. This would make him the most powerful firebender, even if the title doesn't hold the weight it used to.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

It taught him a better method but his sister was still more skilled. He only beat her because she started getting deranged. Up until he saw that he was still certain he would need help.

@Zombie: Yeah pretty much.

Her skill was a result of her strict emotional control and her control of everything in her environment. Those stresses eventually caused her to crack and fail.

I'd call her a less good bender because it wasn't sustainable in the long-term.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I can see zuko getting as good as iroh eventually. Its implied that his struggle with bending is because the rage based style is limited. Hos batred was never as pure as his father or sister so he couldnt match them. But the dragon style is purer

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It was more her friends' "betrayal" that caused Azula to go mental, I felt. A friend pointed out that Avatar is one of the rare examples of villains actually having a circle of friends who they protect.

Also, although Zuko was doing well with the dragon-style bending, you could see a lot of his darker, angrier side slipping through when he asks about his mother.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.