As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    the ocean spirit fishes are mentioned as teaching the first water benders, I think

I was wondering about that. Will Korra have to learn from a Skybison. Are there still Skybison? We saw one in the trailer.

Korra is going to learn from Aang's son Tenzin

w1LiW.jpg

Tenzin is being voiced by J.K. Simmons

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    the ocean spirit fishes are mentioned as teaching the first water benders, I think

I was wondering about that. Will Korra have to learn from a Skybison. Are there still Skybison? We saw one in the trailer.

w1LiW.jpg

So will Korra learn from a psychologist, white supremacist, or Jonah Jameson?

Good choice on VA though. Guy does kickass work.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Quid wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Her skill was a result of her strict emotional control and her control of everything in her environment. Those stresses eventually caused her to crack and fail.

I'd call her a less good bender because it wasn't sustainable in the long-term.

Her skill was still higher than his. As was Iroh's, Ozai's, and Jeong Jeong's. That she had a mental breakdown after being betrayed by her two best friends doesn't change that.

On the other hand, Zuko clearly wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. To learn it all is his real test, to train it is his cause. He will travel across the land, searchin' far and wide. Each technique to understand the power that's inside Firebending! It's Iroh and he. He knows it's his destiny! Firebending, ooh with his his best friend in a world they must defend! Firebending a heart so true. Their courage will pull them through. Iroh'll teach him and he'll teach Iroh firebending. Gotta learn it all, gotta learn it all, yeah.
    Every challenge along the way with courage he will face. He will battle everyday to claim his rightful place. Trust in him, the time is right; there's no better team. Arm in arm, they'll win the fight. It's always been their dream: Firebending! It's Iroh and he. He knows it's his destiny! Firebending, ooh with his his best friend in a world they must defend! Firebending a heart so true. Their courage will pull them through. Iroh'll teach him and he'll teach Iroh firebending. Gotta learn it all, gotta learn it all. Gotta learn it all.
    Gotta learn it all. Gotta learn it all, yeah, Firebending! It's Iroh and he. He knows it's his destiny! Firebending, ooh with his his best friend in a world they must defend! Firebending a heart so true. Their courage will pull them through. Iroh'll teach him and he'll teach Iroh firebending. Gotta learn it all. Gotta learn it all, Firebending!

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gifs ahoy
    Cantido wrote:
    Rchanen wrote:
    Also everyone in that trailer is all wearing modern clothes and shit, but Korra's in the original waterbender tribe parka thing. How many dudes is she going to cockpunch for calling her a hick?

As many as it takes. Which is for the best.

This resolves *part* of my bitching about no progress being made after Steampunk Era + 70 years.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it progress, but I would like to see change.

Did you miss the car? there's a car at one point. And skyscrapers.

Jintor on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    This resolves *part* of my bitching about no progress being made after Steampunk Era + 70 years.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it progress, but I would like to see change.

Looks like you missed the cars and electric wires running throughout the city in the trailer. I suggest you watch again, moar closely.

:)

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Also, if Cabbage Guy (or his descendant) doesn't show up, I'm going to be very sad...

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

This is the greatest news I've heard yet.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The Cabbage Guy's descendant is the leader of the anti-bending movement.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Truly a sympathetic antagonist.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Dear Lord, do want! :D
    It looks like they're going the Ankh Morpork route of having relatively modern age stuff without that whole Industrial Revolution phase.

• ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    The animation showcased in that trailer was siiiiiiiiick. Super fluid and better looking than the animation I remember from the original series, which was still really great.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    It looked way more visceral. I liked the camera effects (if you can really call it that?). One of my main gripes from AtLA was how the firebending didn't feel like it had any real impact. Yes, I know that fire doesn't technically have any force, but it still felt kind of light and fluffy. That trailer makes firebending seem heavy and goddamn powerful.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh man that trailer looks awesome.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Worth noting that the voice at the end and one of the youtube comments makes me think the thing is sped up somewhat (likely the original is 1:30 or something?)

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Either that or he's sucking helium.

Also I just came across this info, haven't seen it posted.
    The city is called United Republic and it was founded by Aang and Zuko.

The two guys in the poster with Korra are Mako (firebender) and Bolin (earthbender), and they are brothers.

The polar bear dog is female and her name is Naga.

Bolin has a pet fire ferret named Paboo.

There will be new flying bison and new lemurs.

There will be two seasons -- season 1 will have 12 episodes, season 2 will have 14 episodes.

Aang and Katara had three kids, Tenzin being the youngest and only airbender.

Tenzin has three kids of his own.

Anti-benders use chi-blocking.

There are metalbending cops.

Toph traveled the world to teach metalbending after the war was over, and her daughter Bei Fong is the chief of police.

There will be mixed martial arts in the series, and the music was described as 1920s jazz invented by the Chinese.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I don't think "WANT NOW" adequately sums up my feelings for this. I want this yesterday. I want the entire series on bluray yesterday.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    the music was described as 1920s jazz invented by the Chinese.
    Awesome.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I kinda wish metalbending stayed a Toph-only thing, or at least with high-level Earthbenders, but with a lot more metal in this one (it's a city not made of rock...), that's understandable.

And really, I'm just being silly, I am so psyched. A fire ferret!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Rchanen wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

w1LiW.jpg

Could be Sledge Hammer's boss at the CIA. You're forgetting that.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Man, is it ever going to look hella weird seeing basically magic people shooting fire and water out their hands over a 1920's backdrop of San Francisco.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Man, is it ever going to look hella weird seeing basically magic people shooting fire and water out their hands over a 1920's backdrop of San Francisco.

It's what I'm looking forward to the most. It's a background that rarely gets a really fantastic setting barring the usual Cthulhu stuff.

chiasaur11 wrote:
    Rchanen wrote:

Could be Sledge Hammer's boss at the CIA. You're forgetting that.

The President of the USA!

It will actually be Cave Johnson.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to this.

Hopefully the protagonist will be a little less anguished in this one. That wore a little thin in the original series at times.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:
    Toph traveled the world to teach metalbending after the war was over, and her daughter Bei Fong is the chief of police.

Bei Fong Bei Fong?

steam_sig.png
    Probably they missed her first name, those are twitter transcriptions from the panel i think

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:
    I can only assume Toph was disappointed by her daughter's choice of carreer.

And when meema Toph is disappointed in you away goes your name.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Mako (firebender)

No surprises

obF2Wuw.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I assumed it was like Commisioner Bei Fong. She's just known by her last name.

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    I still think the bear looks kind of silly but Naga is a good name for a thing and fire ferret : D

• areaarea Registered User regular
    I was already exciting for this, but that trailer is fantastic. Is it next year yet?

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was beautiful. Comparable to Miyazaki, though the setting certainly helps with that.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I really hope, if Korra does well, that we'll see them go back and "re-master" Avatar, because it makes me so sad that it is stuck in the world of 4:3 and non-HD.

I mean, I doubt it would happen, but it would be fantastic.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    the music was described as 1920s jazz invented by the Chinese.
    Awesome.
    Yes.

Also, yay fire ferret because ferrets are awesome.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I'd find it refreshing if they set this future world to be based on 1920s Shanghai/China, ala Kung Fu Hustle (and Hong Kong with that boat scene where there is a statue of Aang).

I also do hope they fit in all the cliches for that era, especially the gambling movies :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So based on that trailer, I assume that Korra is the best fire bender ever, right?

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    She's an Avatar who's learned 3 of the 4 disciplines and she's spent a year or more learning each so she's going to be pretty damn good.

This discussion has been closed.