As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e] The Siege of Underdeep (OOC)

SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
edited February 2013 in Critical Failures
Clearing this out due to links to non-existent sites and my dropbox.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
SkyCaptain on

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Posting interest, I'll put up a character soon.

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    Updated specifics with what books can be used in the online Character Builder for classes.

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    What Genasi manifestations are you allowing? Just the elemental ones, or the corrupt and dark sun ones as well?

Any manifestation in the character builder is fine.

Wiki is updated with more information on the world. I'll have a map up later this evening.

• lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    Posting interest, will have a character up at the end of the weekend.

Possibly earlier if I get this damn cbloader to work for me.

Yeah, it's been a pain in the butt to keep it working.

• lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    I can't even get it to start working. Keep getting some error 23 line when I try to boot it up. Going to have to google an answer when I'm not on a damn train all day.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Looks cool. I'll post a character as soon as I can.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Tempted to go with an eladrin ranged slayer. Anything important that I need to know about their escape from the Feywild? Relations with humans, nature of the enemy that drove them out etc.

Can we take Eberron classes? I know you said no backgrounds, but are you considering 4e Eberron as essentials?

Before the Fey showed up, the Humes didn't have arcane magic. Neither did the Earthen. Drahken weren't around and the Elementals hadn't appeared yet. The Fey showed up in the northlands of Amador, sparking the beginning of the Arcane Age. The Fey were driven out of the Feywild by an as of yet unnamed enemy and even lost control of one of the gates. Their enemy threatened to overwhelm what meager defenses the Fey could establish. Fey envoys and ambassadors were sent to every Hume nation and Earthen citadel, beseeching them for help against this implacable foe.

Earthen and Humes provided a war machine that the Fey could never hope to match while they themselves bolstered these armies and their siege weapons with arcane power. Together, they were strong enough to drive back the foes from the Feywild and seal the gate. Many were slain and spellbooks looted by Hume and Earthen opportunists. It didn't take long for the study of arcane arts to spread through both races. The extra-planar threat was over and the short lived alliance fell apart as kingdoms and great houses quickly strove to acquire arcane magic.

The Fey were overwhelmed by the ferocity of the magic being used by these Hume kingdoms and withdrew from civilization. They sealed their borders, cloaking them in eternal mist that befuddles the mind of lesser folk unless guided along a Faerie Road by a pathfinder. This is when the Elementals started appearing as well. The opening of the gates and then the sudden sealing of the seized gate had an unseen backlash that tore the shroud that protected the Plane of Storms from the other planes.

The prolific use of summoning magic and mingling of bloodlines with the elements through arcane admixture was another source of these mortal shaped elementals. The Arcane Age had three major wars, the third one nearly destroying Amador. Landquakes rocked the shard of earth and stone for months and aftershocks from that event still tumble buildings and mountains every so often hundreds of years later.

While the Midlands kingdoms were still rebuilding after the carnage of the third eldritch war, the Drahken and the Great Dragons invaded from the southwest. Though the Great Dragons were eventually driven out of the civilized regions and the Drahken freed from their enslavement to them, several of the most powerful Great Dragons still inhabit the highest peaks or deepest depths of various mountains throughout Amador. The greatest concentration of their power is the northernmost range of mountains, the Giantshold Mountains. Wyrmspire Peak has become a power in the north and threatens to drive out the giants from their stony strongholds in the high mountain passes. The free folk in the north fear that one day the giants and their gnoll allies will descend from the mountains and take their lands if the dragons drive them south.

It's been just under twenty years since the Drahken/Dragon invasion. Most people are still wary about the drahken, but a five hundred year cyclical invasion by the beastmen from the Plains of Hakor has them more worried.

A Short List...
    • Arcane magic isn't looked upon favorably... though most places tolerate it as long as you don't flaunt it. Some outright ban it while a rare few still embrace it.
    • Freed Drahken are rare, untrusted by most, but not kill on sight anymore except in a few isolated regions.
    • Dragons and drakes, spawn of the Great Dragons, have begun to plague the people of the grasslands in the heart of Amador.
    • The beastmen of the Plains of Hakor grow restless
    • The Kingdom of the Dead in the northlands continues the corrupt the north border of the Fey woodlands near the Ioka Mountains

A lot of this will make more sense once I get the map labeled.

Can we take Eberron classes? I know you said no backgrounds, but are you considering 4e Eberron as essentials?

Essentials classes only from these three books: Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, Heroes of Shadow... minus the Vampire.

After reviewing those books, and I apologize for misunderstanding, I have to retract my interest. The kind of character I'd like to play just isn't available using those books as the structure point.

So find an essentials class character you would like to play.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I'm interested, for sure.

Couple questions, though, as someone who hasn't really played D&D in general in a while:

1.) Is there a free version of this character builder or would I have to subscribe to the Insider thing?
    2.) If I have the PHB+errata, will that work as far as building a character goes? I'm thinking Cleric, if that makes a difference.

And actually, speaking of Clerics, any specifics of divine magic in this setting I should know? Core rules deities?

After reviewing those books, and I apologize for misunderstanding, I have to retract my interest. The kind of character I'd like to play just isn't available using those books as the structure point.
    Aw, c'mon anon

@LockedOnTarget

Yeah... if you don`t have the old character builder, you`d have to subscribe to DDI for at least a month to be able to make a character that way. Also, this is an Essentials only campaign. Cleric from the PHB is not an essentials class. Warpriest I think is, but that`s from a different book or the online character builder.

If you want, I can make the character for you if you provide the background and all the rest of the application.

What about a Warpriest of the Earth? Earth was added in a dragon magazine; do you want to stick to Thunder and Sun Warpriests only?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Anything essentials minus the Vampire is acceptable regardless of the source. Well, official source. Of which Dragon is one.

edited July 2011
    Ugh, I hate this essentials stuff, seems dumb that the friggin core book classes are apparently useless.

Well a Warpriest is really totally not the kind of concept I had thought up, so I dunno now. Is there anything in essentials that has a serious focus on healing and protection?

LockedOnTarget on
    I just want to try running an essentials only campaign is all. Something different from the usual.

Yeah, that's cool. I was just under the impression that it was like 3.5, where it's basically the same stuff but with a bunch of balance/rule tweaks and some additions. I didn't realize that it invalidated the PHB classes like that.

Without getting into a detailed writeup yet, the character I was thinking of was going to be a medic in the Thunder Guard. Basically, she'd be trained for combat but would be a doctor and field medic by trade. So I was going to focus on powers that heal, prevent, and protect primarily. Is there an essentials class that fits that mold?

You're sure you don't want a Warpriest of the Storm domain?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited July 2011
    I have no idea what that is as I don't have the two "Heroes of" books. When I hear the term "Warpriest" though it doesn't exactly make me think of a medic-type...I'd be happy to be proven wrong in that assumption.

LockedOnTarget on
    Warpriest of Sun would make more sense for defending allies. They have an at-will attack vs AC that grants an ally within 5 squares resist all equal to your Con modifier. They also have another at-will attack that grants an ally within 5 squares a saving throw. You also get Healing Word twice per encounter. As a warpriest, you also can use any Cleric attack powers with a level if you so choose. Nimbus of Holy Shielding is a nice daily that grants a +2 power bonus to all defenses until the end of the encounter to all allies within two squares of you.

edited July 2011
    Lyashanna Y’llesthrenne. Slayer of Dudes

Background:
    Thunk. A wisp of chalk-dust leapt off the wooden beam and began it’s slow descent to the street below. On the rooftops opposite, Lyashanna notched another arrow and took aim at the next chalk mark. One would think an archer of her calibre would gain nothing from practicing shots at such a close range, but she wasn’t here to think. She had climbed up the tottering hovels specifically to not think about things.

Things like her mother’s incessant complaining about her hair, or the fact that she had to break into houses to put food on the table. Or the horrible nightmares of being consumed by some unspeakable evil she had every single night. Or how she’d explain to father that she got this broken nose when some Hume had caught her trying to snatch his purse.

As she grit her teeth and tried to chase all thoughts from her mind, Lya loosed another arrow. Upon hitting the target, the projectile exploded into shards of ice, covering the beam with a spreading frost. Giving a half-hearted hop into the space between the buildings, the young eladrin blinked out of existence, reappearing on the rooftop above the target. Inspecting the damage, she thought to herself ‘Great’, brow furrowing more in annoyance than puzzlement. ‘Something else to not think about.’

Lyashanna Y’llesthrenne is rare in that she is a young eladrin. Since most of her kind live well past 200, they often tend to treat those who have only just reached adulthood with greater condescension than other races. Aged 19, her parents have a tendency to treat her as a child, despite her physical strength. Both her parents lived through the retreat from the Feywild, though being simple craftsmen meant they were encouraged to get as far from the gates as possible. Moving from place to place and finding little welcome for their arcane-tinged craft, they struggled to etch out a living. Once their kin withdrew to their concealed forests, they had already settled in Underdeep. By the time Lyashanna was born, her parents had been living there for decades, still not fully accepted by the Hume and Earthen society. Born into poverty, she has turned to a life of petty crime just to feed and protect her ancient parents.

Enemies and Allies:
    Most do not trust the magic-infused eladrin, meaning most of Lya’s social contact is with her parents, Elrissen and Tyissa. Otherwise, she has befriended a ‘work colleague’- a young Earthen named Dorik. Though she doesn’t trust him as far as she can throw him, it is refreshing to be treated as an equal, not a child.
    A life of crime garners more than a few enemies, however, chief among which is a sergeant of the nightwatch, a burly Hume called Werris. She has escaped him enough times to warrant a deep hatred, and the nightwatchmen frequently goes out of his way to make her day worse. On the other side of the law, the mysterious Gerlach seems to have it in for the young eladrin. Rumoured to be an Earthen and the brains behind many of Underdeep’s thief gangs, Lya believes him to be the reason almost no one will work with her.

Appearance:
    To the casual observer, Lya’s age isn’t as obvious as it would be to her kin. Standing at around five and a half feet, her silvery hair is shaved on the sides of her head, braided loosely at the back. Her eyes are the same bright green as her parents, though a nose broken too many times mars the inherent beauty of her race. Despite her mother’s objections, she wears a heavy fur-lined jacket ‘liberated’ from some up-town Hume’s wardrobe as well as a longbow, made for her by her father. After a few scuffles she has also taken to carrying a battered looking rapier, just in case.

Personality:
    Had she been raised in one of the eladrin strongholds on Amador, Lya may have grown up a petulant child. Tempered by the harsh realities of Underdeep, however, she has become a curt and serious young woman. Direct and often impolite in a way that is atypical to one of her race, she is also loyal and protective to those who treat her as an equal. Which is to say, very few.
    To her parents’ dismay, she will most often try to sleep ‘normally’, as her trances inevitably lead to dreaming of the corrupted feywild. These nightmares have given her a great fear of being trapped and of suffocation, and as such she is most at home on the rooftops or in the streets.

Of course, the first submission is a striker.

Grog on
    So I've thought about this, and perhaps I'm just not understanding the books correctly:

In the essentials books, it has the class and races listed, are those the only races I can take with those classes?

Nah, it's just a suggestion.

Just remember that I have limited what races are available due to the nature of the campaign setting. I have never liked the moshpit of races that D&D has become and prefer a more limited and sensible number of races.

Also, when you update your character sheet, put "Siege of Underdeep" as the Adventuring Company name. That way when you roll dice on Orokos, they're all rolled in the same group on that site.

edited July 2011
    woops, my bad.

edit: also if you don't want multiclassing into non-essentials classes, I can take that out. Just thought it would put an interesting spin on a 'i shoot arrows at things' character

Grog on
    Hrm... I'll allow that one. No power swap feats however. Just the base multi-class feats so you can give your own spin on the essentials classes.

Yeah that's fine by me.

[Looks at seeker utilities]

aw poop

:P

Grog, how did you get the essentials classes in the character builder? Or are you using the subscriber one? I have the offline one, and can't seem to get essentials stuff to load.

edited July 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote:
    Warpriest of Sun would make more sense for defending allies. They have an at-will attack vs AC that grants an ally within 5 squares resist all equal to your Con modifier. They also have another at-will attack that grants an ally within 5 squares a saving throw. You also get Healing Word twice per encounter. As a warpriest, you also can use any Cleric attack powers with a level if you so choose. Nimbus of Holy Shielding is a nice daily that grants a +2 power bonus to all defenses until the end of the encounter to all allies within two squares of you.

Yeah I took a peek at the Essentials books today at my LCS an Warpriest of Sun seems like it'll work fine. In regards to the bolded part, do you mean I can pick from non-essentials books such as the PHB? Or do I stick to only powers in the essentials material? I'm fine either way, just want to clarify.

So I guess the only other thing I need to know is what I can choose as far as a deity is concerned.

LockedOnTarget on
    I'm having trouble with Orokos at the moment. I was planning a Human Knight.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Posting Interest. Looks most likely to be a Genasi controller, or striker(not sure which type yet).

@SkyCaptain
    On the Blood and Iron wiki, you have to go into the change log to see the deities. Is this intentional? (ie: they aren't finished)

BaronSamedi on
    "Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
    The wiki is and will be constantly changing over the next few weeks as I settle the initial structure for it.

Grog, how did you get the essentials classes in the character builder? Or are you using the subscriber one? I have the offline one, and can't seem to get essentials stuff to load.

You have to use the CBLoader if you have a fully updated offline version.