As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Summer

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    You do realize that this story isn't special or ground-breaking, right? Even the violence isn't special. The only thing surprising about this comic is that it actually shows a president who looks a lot like our current president being brutally and bloodily murdered by a superhero. Big deal, Mr. Ellis, you aren't winning any points here with your sensationalism.

Don't you think you're taking the brutal murder of a bunch of drawings rather personally?

Also, what's wrong with sensationalism? I like sensational things. I'm not always big on Ellis' shorter series and Avatar's stable of low-rent Geof Darrows leave me cold, but the few pages we've seen grabbed my attention and made me want to know what happens next.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Spex do you just not like the art or what?

Because some of those expressions are very goofy

Hmm? Oh no, I rather enjoy the art.

I was saying that Bri must have something wrong with his eyes if he read the comic, because he's totally wrong about a lot of its contents.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Have you read it, Bri? It is sounding like you haven't read it yet.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »

I was saying that Bri must have something wrong with his eyes if he read the comic, because he's totally wrong about a lot of its contents.

Spec, careful, if we both like the artwork...something must be terribly wrong.

I'm afraid I can only conclude one of us is an impostor.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Spec, careful, if we both like the artwork...something must be terribly wrong.

I'm afraid I can only conclude one of us is an impostor.

The two of you have been acting pretty Skrully.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I enjoyed it for what it was.....A comic book

Algertman on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Algertman wrote: »

It makes for an awful sandwich.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's not bad with pimentos.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I don't know, the premise is still a bit hard to swallow.

LITERALLY!

HA HA.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Oh

Ohhhhh

I thought you were addressing all who have read the comic

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    When does the next issue come out? Are their any previews of it out somewhere?

Internet: Do my bidding!

graizur on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I don't know, the premise is still a bit hard to swallow.

LITERALLY!

HA HA.

*Wah wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    graizur wrote: »

Read the thread, man.

the next issue is supposed to come out in august
    BLACK SUMMER #1
    US $2.99
    Cover: Juan Jose Ryp
    Writer: Warren Ellis
    Art: Juan Jose Ryp
    Readership: MR
    Format: Full Color, 32 pages, monthly, 1 of 7

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: This is it, Warren Ellis’ masked hero masterpiece begins its monthly run right here! With Internet buzz that is off the charts, prepare for the world to go black as Ellis unveils his all-new super-powered heroes and villains epic! With art by the genius Juan Jose Ryp, no fan of The Authority or Wanted will want to miss this bleeding-edge eight issue masterpiece. Following directly from the #0 issue, the politics of the President have forced Horus to take matters into his own blood-stained hands. But he acted on his own and now his old team is going to be hunted for the crimes Horus commited. The dangers of being a hero have taken their toll on Tom Noir. He lost a leg, and hasn’t used his powers in many years as he drowns his problems with booze. But when a man-mountain named Vince, with far more advanced powers, shows up to find out how Tom is connected to his teammate Horus, the action kicks off and the team known as the Seven Guns is thrust into chaos as an epic conflict starts to form. This event-launching issue is available with a regular or wraparound cover and also a rare 1-in-25 cover featuring the Zoe Jump design sketch, all by series artist Juan Jose Ryp.
    (from avatar's site)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    graizur wrote: »

Read the thread, man.

the next issue is supposed to come out in august
    BLACK SUMMER #1
    US $2.99
    Cover: Juan Jose Ryp
    Writer: Warren Ellis
    Art: Juan Jose Ryp
    Readership: MR
    Format: Full Color, 32 pages, monthly, 1 of 7

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: This is it, Warren Ellis’ masked hero masterpiece begins its monthly run right here! With Internet buzz that is off the charts, prepare for the world to go black as Ellis unveils his all-new super-powered heroes and villains epic! With art by the genius Juan Jose Ryp, no fan of The Authority or Wanted will want to miss this bleeding-edge eight issue masterpiece. Following directly from the #0 issue, the politics of the President have forced Horus to take matters into his own blood-stained hands. But he acted on his own and now his old team is going to be hunted for the crimes Horus commited. The dangers of being a hero have taken their toll on Tom Noir. He lost a leg, and hasn’t used his powers in many years as he drowns his problems with booze. But when a man-mountain named Vince, with far more advanced powers, shows up to find out how Tom is connected to his teammate Horus, the action kicks off and the team known as the Seven Guns is thrust into chaos as an epic conflict starts to form. This event-launching issue is available with a regular or wraparound cover and also a rare 1-in-25 cover featuring the Zoe Jump design sketch, all by series artist Juan Jose Ryp.
    (from avatar's site)

Ewww.

I'm sure It'll be a decent read, but damn if I don't want to be reminded that drek like Wanted had fans.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Dude, it is a solicit. Daniel Way has been called a fan-favorite in solicits. It seems most solicits are just attempts to solicit the comic to potential readers, usually by comparing the comic to something that sold really well.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dude, it is a solicit. Daniel Way has been called a fan-favorite in solicits. It seems most solicits are just attempts to solicit the comic to potential readers, usually by comparing the comic to something that sold really well.

I wasn't being entirely serious.

It's Ellis; I take it for granted that it's almost automatically going to be a classier read than most anything by Millar.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I wasn't being entirely serious.

It's Ellis; I take it for granted that it's almost automatically going to be a classier read than most anything by Millar.

Really! Read issue 0 and it's obvious rigth from the jump that it's classier.

graizur on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I read #0 and, well, I'm interested enough to keep reading and see where it goes.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Basically by making this story issue zero the writer is saying that the story isn't about Heroes killing heads of state. And by not showing it he makes it an even sturdier point. This comic will be about living in a world where super heroes have already evolved and transcended past current forms of government. Living in a world where power plays are made in a much faster and more dangerous close quarters event.

graizur on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    And what happens to the former comrades of the assassin.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    How both metas and norms, both, struggle to survive the actions and ramifications of those who seek power.

graizur on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Are comic books below the FBI's notice, or can Warren Ellis never expect to catch a plane within the US again?

I'm sure this isn't the first time the POTUS was assassinated in a work of fiction.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have been thinking about this premise ever since Superman returns claimed to be a Superman movie set in our times. I was like "Psshh! Yeah right!"

graizur on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Are comic books below the FBI's notice, or can Warren Ellis never expect to catch a plane within the US again?

I'm sure this isn't the first time the POTUS was assassinated in a work of fiction.

But this is one of the few works to paint such a loss as desirable, though that's only the present implication with the actual ramifications of the act being as of yet unrevealed.

And if Cat Stevens, the least threatening Muslim alive, and more than a couple infants can end up on the do not fly list, surely a semi-major figure with some degree of violent ambivalence towards the United States government can end up grounded as well.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So number one finally came out. Personally, I loved the shit out of it, even more than issue 0. Something is still off about Ryp's faces, but everything else was great. I loved the super-science mumbo-jumbo, and especially the fight scene.

Tom Noir's gun and powers were pretty awesome and terrifying at the same time.

Zoe's eyes scared the shit out of me. She wears those goggles so she can always have the equation in her
    mind, so she can cheat at science and have superspeed. I hope she is wrong about John Horus though. That would be too easy of an out.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yeah, I'm pretty excited to see where this goes

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can anyone wiki? Black Summer's wiki is an embarrassment. I don't really know how to wiki though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

But this is one of the few works to paint such a loss as desirable, though that's only the present implication with the actual ramifications of the act being as of yet unrevealed.

And if Cat Stevens, the least threatening Muslim alive, and more than a couple infants can end up on the do not fly list, surely a semi-major figure with some degree of violent ambivalence towards the United States government can end up grounded as well.

Cat Stevens actually supported the call for the assassination of some British author that pissed off Iran, though.

And those infants are like land piranha.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That was Salman (now Sir Salman) Rushdie, though Cat AKA Yusuf Islam denies that was what he meant.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can anyone wiki? Black Summer's wiki is an embarrassment. I don't really know how to wiki though.

Doesn't look that hard to do. If I have some time tonight, I might put info from the first two issues out there.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, reading over Graizurs post got me thinking(well...got me confused enough to ask):

What IS this story gonna be about? And besides the fact he's graizur and probably high most of the time, what makes him think that this stories issue 0 and issue 1 are going to be completely unconnected simply because they already went through something in issue 0?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think the story will be about the remaining Seven Guns (one is dead before the story starts, Laura something who was also Tom Noir's girlfriend) running for their lives from Blacksmith's new gunners and the rest of the United States police/military.

I would really like to think that the assassination of the president is just kind of a macguffin. I kind of hope the political rantings begin and end in issue 0, because superheroics and politics are not really something I enjoy.

I hope we meet the rest of the guns. We have met John, Tom and Zoe. Laura is dead. That leaves Angel One (who is en route to Tom and Zoe), Dominic (who wants to talk to Tom) and Kathy Artemis.

I've working on the wiki a little bit today, will work on it more after work.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Did I just see Bush dead and filled with blood on the floor.
    awesome

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man are they growing you fuckers in a factory or something?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Guys, it's official: since politics and comics aren't supposed to mix ever, you're not allowed to express any opinion of such an occurrence unless it's negative. :roll:
    To be fair to Anjin, Akatsuk's comment was kinda dumb.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm all for political shit being mentioned in a comic pertaining to such.

But that was some random fuckmook from the Fuckmookery Factory of Greater Ohio, delivering the same brand of fuckmookery that's making me read GV less and less.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Don't let one stupid comment deter you from GV.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh that's not the case.

It's just fuckheads.

I pluralized, yo.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Interesting, I was really hoping for something along the lines of Transmetropolitan but I'll see how this pans out.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What does that comment mean? I don't understand what you are saying.

DouglasDanger on