As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Provisional [chat] (READ THE OP)

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    If given the choice between good story and good writing, good story wins.

I will however dig the shit out of some good writing where the story is basically irrelevant or nonexistant

a good book is king

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Since writers have become more skilled and in addition have a much more intelligent audience to please, genre distinctions are almost moot now.

Every story worth reading is comprised of no less than two-genres these days.

what?

It is very hard to define things amongst one pure genre anymore. HP is a fantasy story, but as others have pointed out, it is really a coming of age story.

Science-fiction often contains elements of horror.

I'm just saying the pillars of many of these genres that people use to define them are kind of falling to the wayside of hybridization.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Thanks, Obama.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    We aren't really appreciably more intelligent than we were when writing was invented

Of course, to prove any of this you'd have to measure intelligence

You'd also have to measure the intelligence of people who died 6000 years ago

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Steve is implying more that people understand genre conventions and such more. The art of writing, just like everything else ever has evolved and become more of a refined thing now.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    is "good story" in this sense plot

because plot isn't terribly important

No. Good story is the implication that what is happening, what has happened, or what is being examined is engaging, interesting or thought provoking.

It's so terribly cliched now but Hemingway's "shortest story" is a great example of this:

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

That is pretty standard writing but a great story.

yes! Yes. Something about story being plot *onomatopoetic verb of sort of the sound of mismatched gears meaning "did not feel right" which is a word english doesn't have, but should* for me

this is a p good description of it

to take an example that isn't books: Dragon Age II. The plot, not really there for most of it. The "writing", in this case, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting, all that, p good but not amazing on the whole, the story? Shit yeah that is good. It may start of seemingly meandering but fuck does it end up engaging, interesting and thought-provoking.

I like those criteria.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Intelligent is pretty relative. The human mind is pretty impressive in it's flexibility.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Elldren wrote:
    We aren't really appreciably more intelligent than we were when writing was invented

Of course, to prove any of this you'd have to measure intelligence

You'd also have to measure the intelligence of people who died 6000 years ago

There is this thing, but I'm not informed enough to say much about that.

Right. Bed. Night.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    rrr

nothing is coming

gonna try for an extension

the client has been pretty good so far, so there's a decent chance I'll get another day or two

not sure what to do then, though; would it be better to take the day off and hope that I'll feel better tomorrow, or would that just be delaying the work like I did yesterday?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    but it makes the genre too wide to be useful

Fantasy as a descriptor isn't useful beyond being a very broad description.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    you can't just assume positive change over time

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Intelligent is pretty relative. The human mind is pretty impressive in it's flexibility.

Mine can do reverse cowgirl and wheelbarrow style.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Gooey wrote:
    I am amused by the underlying assumption by the purveyors of bitcoin people that the currency is better because it exists outside the influence of the governmental sphere

one day some currency trader is going to make a fucking mint on the stuff (no pun intended) by manipulating the bitcoin market specifically because there is no governmental regulation.

I would be surprised if there isn't already someone out there at an I-bank dreaming up a scheme right now

DDoS two mid-size exchanges. Start spreading a rumor they've been hacked. Watch price drop like the last time it happened. Buy low. Wait two weeks. Set up a fake Amazon PR announcement that they will be accepting bitcoin due the the sales tax issue. Sell high.

I was thinking this same sort of thing, haha. Even better if you can get an options market going.

Which is a shame because with an options market I could make a profit on the price drop too. And I'm mercenary enough that I view getting paid twice as a good option. Hell with an options market I could get paid three times. Which is always better then getting paid twice.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:

No. Good story is the implication that what is happening, what has happened, or what is being examined is engaging, interesting or thought provoking.

It's so terribly cliched now but Hemingway's "shortest story" is a great example of this:

I would call that great writing, not a great story

it's the execution people remember not the story

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The average brain size is getting lower over time but that doesn't really mean a whole lot when a good education is usually required to have the skills need to be considered intelligent by most people.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2011
    Erotica is the great underutilized genre. I want to write some erotica.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Eddy wrote:
    Steve is implying more that people understand genre conventions and such more. The art of writing, just like everything else ever has evolved and become more of a refined thing now.

Yes. Eddy saved my ass.

My roommate came home when I was writing that original post so I was typing with a middle-school competency.

This is what I meant.

• Options
    Elki wrote:
    Erotica is an the great underutilized genre. I want to write some erotica.

To supplement my income I've started putting together erotica.

This is not a joke.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Shit that follows genre conventions almost perfectly still has a good market.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Elki wrote:

he wanged her hard and she felt good and thanked him for his masterful wanging

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

I actually do agree that this, as a package, is brilliant writing.

But when I'm talking about writing versus story, I'm talking about technical proficiency.

There is nothing wonderfully stylistic or inventive about Hemingways usage of words or punctuation or sentence structure there.

But he told a complete, heartbreaking and compelling story.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Elki wrote:

he wanged her hard and she felt good and thanked him for his masterful wanging
    I liked this better when it was dr. who fanfic

Elendil on
  • Options
    Elki wrote:

This is not a joke.

What do you mean by "putting together"

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    the final entry: fuck written 50,000 times

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Senj you got me all excited on a Sunday night when I'm already too tired to start a new project!

You have uh

Intellectually blueballed me

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:

This is not a joke.

Worked for Anne Rice.

• Options
    Wash wrote:
    Elki wrote:

This is not a joke.

Throwing together cliches erotica stories to sell to people on craigslist.

To say "writing erotica" is an overstatement because I'm literally putting the minimal amount of effort into it

• Options
    Tar what is up

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Since writers have become more skilled and in addition have a much more intelligent audience to please, genre distinctions are almost moot now.

Every story worth reading is comprised of no less than two-genres these days.

what?

It is very hard to define things amongst one pure genre anymore. HP is a fantasy story, but as others have pointed out, it is really a coming of age story.

Science-fiction often contains elements of horror.

I'm just saying the pillars of many of these genres that people use to define them are kind of falling to the wayside of hybridization.

I was mostly saying "what" to the first part but nevermind this is more interesting

anyway, genres have been changing forever

science-fiction now is not like science-fiction as it was, where a lot of important works are dystopic works where whatever science they've fictionalized is used to comment on society in some way, and that is a far cry from hard sci-fi that is an exploration of mankind's maybe possible future, etc etc

I'd say that genres like "science-fiction" and "fantasy" simply aren't, because they're such useless terms

HP is a coming of age story that happens to have magic in it, LOTR is a sort of saga/myth, Narnia is a bible allegory. Lumping all three into one category because all three happen to involve castles and magic at some points is kind of wierd.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Wash wrote:
    Elki wrote:

This is not a joke.

To say "writing erotica" is an overstatement because I'm literally putting the minimal amount of effort into it

Worked for Anne Rice.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Wash wrote:
    Elki wrote:

This is not a joke.

There's a market for that?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

But when I'm talking about writing versus story, I'm talking about technical proficiency.

There is nothing wonderfully stylistic or inventive about Hemingways usage of words or punctuation or sentence structure there.

I would say the invention and stylistic accomplishment is devising a set of words that causes the reader to supply a "complete, heartbreaking, and compelling story" where there is none

• Options
    edited July 2011
    "Things get better one winter at a time. So if you're going to celebrate something, then have a drink on this: The world is, generally and on balance, a better place to live this year than it was last year."

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Writers are not more skilled, but narrative techniques and complexity have definitely improved. Also new forms of storytelling, i.e. television, film and graphic novels. It's like comparing the plot of TV in the 50s to what you get now.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Elki wrote:

This is not a joke.

Worked for Anne Rice.

Boom!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Even more specifically, Harry Potter belongs to the long tradition of English Boarding School genre novels.

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

I would say the invention and stylistic accomplishment is devising a set of words that causes the reader to supply a "complete, heartbreaking, and compelling story" where there is none

what do you mean there is none?

baby expected, buy baby shoes

baby lost, sell shoes

that's a pretty complete - and heartbreaking - story right there

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    So, Muslims stole my credit card number.

Used it to send money to pro-Islamic religious and political organisations in the UK.

This is an outrage.

This discussion has been closed.