As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Provisional [chat] (READ THE OP)

1545556575860»

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have it on good authority that retiarius are "gaylords."

totp shame edit: that was a Venture Bros reference.

And I don't usually approve of the term "gaylord" being used.
    Unless someone is actually acting like a gaylord.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote:
    2% milk: disgusting

skim all day way

I got really tired at work of people bitching about me buying skim or 2%. Half wanted one and half the other.

So one time just to teach everyone a lesson I bought one percent and was like "THERE NOW NOBODY IS HAPPY".

They let me buy whatever milk after that.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So, can anyone at least tell me how you set up an IRC channel? I have no idea how people run IRC PnP RPG games and I'd like to know so I can do it myself.

I don't like to repeat myself, but I'd like an answer please. It'll be good for my think-pan to do some role=playing, methinks.

• Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    I do get sick when I eat too much dairy

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote:

skim all day way

I got really tired at work of people bitching about me buying skim or 2%. Half wanted one and half the other.

So one time just to teach everyone a lesson I bought one percent and was like "THERE NOW NOBODY IS HAPPY".

Truly you are the King Solomon of the office

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I have it on good authority that retiarius are "gaylords."

totp shame edit: that was a Venture Bros reference.

And I don't usually approve of the term "gaylord" being used. Unless someone is actually acting like a gaylord.

What about people who are happy and with a title of nobility?

• Options
    So, can anyone at least tell me how you set up an IRC channel? I have no idea how people run IRC PnP RPG games and I'd like to know so I can do it myself.

I don't like to repeat myself, but I'd like an answer please. It'll be good for my think-pan to do some role=playing, methinks.

I personally do not know but I bet Google does

• Options
    Eddy wrote:
    Eddy wrote:

skim all day way

Truly you are the King Solomon of the office

Nah not at that point.

But when I cut that baby in half, yeah sure I guess.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Have you tried the google? Or IRC help files?

IRC is an old system, and there are a LOT of help/faq stuff. Your best bet is probably to sift through it and figure it out for yourself. Much like with any new system, doing it yourself will yield both better results and greater mastery.

alt-post: lmgtfy

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The main problem you fight on the internet is player inactivity.
    IRC needs all your players to be online at the same time (which very quickly gets timezone constricted), and the one time I hosted a maptools game it felt kinda wonky because interaction is slower when people need to type out stuff. You can counter this with ventrilo a bit in some cases.
    PbP is very very slow. (Don't count on a single round of combat being done within 48h) I tried to get a DW (which is admittedly, a pretty complicated system) running, but my players are just showing up less and less, to the point that by now I'm assuming it dead. You could of course chase everyone with PMs all the time.
    You could look into maptools as an option if you want to run a realtime event. The fact that it allows GM aliases and such is a huge boon, even if you aren't going to be drawing out maps (Drawing out maps = huge effort).
    I also once considered a combo PbP / Maptools, where between the sessions players can banter, then the session is more combat oriented.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So I take it it's complicated and time-consuming?

Edit: Setting up a channel

21stCentury on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor: Okay so how I understand it goes like this...

Back during the first world war the debt ceiling was instituted because America had never had so much debt so they thought they should cap it. Since then, the debt ceiling has been a law. Now the debt ceiling is the cap on which the US Treasury can issue US Bonds(aka debt) to pay the bills. Once the ceiling is hit(August 2nd) the US Treasury can no long pay our bills by issuing bonds(default). This has a few effects. First effect is that the US stops paying its bills, this makes our bonds worth less and thus raises the interest on them. So the interest on our debt goes up. Which is a bad thing. Second the US government basically has to shut down because there is no money to pay for anything. Bonds are only as good as you can sell them for.

Now this has repercussions on things such as social security since we hold the trust fund in US bonds. When the price of those bonds drop the amount of money in the trust and such drops thus hurting social security for example.

Basically it is making us look like a really big Greece which pretty much has taken down the Eurozone by itself. So we take out the world since many nations buy US Treasury Bonds to hold their money and such. So its not just us they are playing chicken with.

Now, Ronya or one of the economist can explain this a whole lot better but that is what I understand it as.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Running a game tends to be no matter if it's face to face, IRC or PbP.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    @Inquisitor: Okay so how I understand it goes like this...

Back during the first world war the debt ceiling was instituted because America had never had so much debt so they thought they should cap it. Since then, the debt ceiling has been a law. Now the debt ceiling is the cap on which the US Treasury can issue US Bonds(aka debt) to pay the bills. Once the ceiling is hit(August 2nd) the US Treasury can no long pay our bills by issuing bonds(default). This has a few effects. First effect is that the US stops paying its bills, this makes our bonds worth less and thus raises the interest on them. So the interest on our debt goes up. Which is a bad thing. Second the US government basically has to shut down because there is no money to pay for anything. Bonds are only as good as you can sell them for.

Now this has repercussions on things such as social security since we hold the trust fund in US bonds. When the price of those bonds drop the amount of money in the trust and such drops thus hurting social security for example.

Basically it is making us look like a really big Greece which pretty much has taken down the Eurozone by itself. So we take out the world since many nations buy US Treasury Bonds to hold their money and such. So its not just us they are playing chicken with.

Now, Ronya or one of the economist can explain this a whole lot better but that is what I understand it as.

Excuse me while I go assume the fetal position in the corner.

• Options
    And god knows how fucked our dollars will become

• Options

Setting up a channel is easy. Once you're in the irc client, and connected to a server, you just type:
    /join #channel_name

• Options
    Tox wrote:

Setting up a channel is easy. Once you're in the irc client, and connected to a server, you just type:
    /join #channel_name

I wish I knew what those words meant.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Well, basically if it doesn't get raise, which is will even if its a work around, it kills China, the US and pretty much drags anyone who uses US Bonds to hold money down a lovely pit. Also this isn't counting how it will sky rocket interest rates which means less lending and capital out there than the small amount already.

Basically kiss the slight recovery goodbye and welcome in your new depression masters.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I oft wondered what it'd feel like to buy a loaf of bread with a wheelbarrow full of money, Deutsche Mark style.

I guess soon I won't have to wonder.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:

/join #channel_name

I wish I knew what those words meant.

It's an IRC command. In the chat box, just type in /join #21st_Century's_game.

• Options
    @21stCentury, I PMed you. Tell me what you want to know, I'll do my best to help.

• Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    man. organichu ditched me. what a poopstank :(

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    msmya wrote:
    man. organichu ditched me. what a poopstank :(

wat

i said let's chat in IMs, instead

i want to lay down wif my laughtop

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The debt ceiling will be raised. The only question is what the attachments will be. This isn't turning out like the Republicans had hoped (a way to attack Obama for not being bipartisan, the crowd isn't with them on this). It could be they'll raise it a very limited amount, to make sure it has to be raised once again just before the elections. It could be that there will be some draconian cuts attached.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Whole milk! Whole milk!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Eddy, chu, etc. dost thou wishest to playest lolest. I can only stand some people. You guys are nice.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:
    The debt ceiling will be raised. The only question is what the attachments will be. This isn't turning out like the Republicans had hoped (a way to attack Obama for not being bipartisan, the crowd isn't with them on this). It could be they'll raise it a very limited amount, to make sure it has to be raised once again just before the elections. It could be that there will be some draconian cuts attached.

last i heard it looked like the dems were playing some good brinksmanship and it looked like either Gang of Six balanced plan or they give obama the power to raise the debt ceiling no strings because then the GOP has political cover, saying they didnt actually raise it

sig.gif
  • Options
    is my understanding of American Politics correct?

There's two parties. Republicans, who are all about rich people and hate everything the Democrats do and yell a lot and Democrats, who are all about rich people, sometimes also about not rich people, hate everything the republicans do and generally try not to make too much noise.

Americans have to choose between the two and their platform is pretty much always "What my opponent said, but the opposite".

Also, each vote isn't worth the same because of a guy named Gerry Manders who decided states should vote, not people, so people vote for a state and then the winning party takes all the votes together, therefore erasing those of the losing party.

• Options
    I wanted to play LoL

Chu is apparently too fat to sit up

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    217538225_Frjt9-L-2.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.