As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halawit [chat]ina

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    And yay for Metric bringing my brain back to normal.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    21stCentury has spent all of today intentionally saying inflammatory and incorrect things. Why are people still responding to him.

We are assuming good faith.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    21stCentury has spent all of today intentionally saying inflammatory and incorrect things. Why are people still responding to him.

What? Is that your idea of a bad joke? It seriously wounds me for you to say that.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    If I wanted to be inflammatory, you'd know. Your skin would flap outward in a way that reminds you of those old Looney Tunes cartoons when a gun explodes because it's been corked.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    HEEL CASTLE

HEEL

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    And yay for Metric bringing my brain back to normal.

aww yeah

get some kilograms and decametres all up in

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Also, each vote isn't worth the same because of a guy named Gerry Manders who decided states should vote, not people, so people vote for a state and then the winning party takes all the votes together, therefore erasing those of the losing party.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm honestly not sure if you're joking here, but in case you're not:

The term "gerrymandering" refers to the nasty habit of structuring electoral districts to ensure a certain result. This, historically, ranges from disenfranchising or minimizing the impact of non-white voters to making sure one party is all but guaranteed an electoral victory. The term (and practice) is not confined to, nor does it originate in the United States.

What I think you're referring to isn't gerrymandering but the Electoral College. Essentially, voters in American Presidential elections don't vote directly for a candidate. Each state has a set number of "electors" (equal to their total representatives in Congress), and the popular vote in each state determines which party's slate of electors gets to vote. It's winner take all, with one or two exceptions, so if 1% to 49% of the popular vote in a state goes for Candidate A, Candidate B gets all of that state's electoral votes. The Electoral College vote almost always reflects the nation-wide popular vote, with two notable exceptions, the most recent being the 2000 election.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Why do people watch Big Brother?

• Options
    Seriously, the political stuff I said? How do you not get that they're half jokes, half earnest question?

• Options

Because he's watching them first?

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

Because Big Brother tells them to watch.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I should read something for school tonight, but I don't wanna. I have 8 days to get my paper done, I think I am going to look at some journals for some ideas.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Lawndart wrote:
    Also, each vote isn't worth the same because of a guy named Gerry Manders who decided states should vote, not people, so people vote for a state and then the winning party takes all the votes together, therefore erasing those of the losing party.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm honestly not sure if you're joking here, but in case you're not:

The term "gerrymandering" refers to the nasty habit of structuring electoral districts to ensure a certain result. This, historically, ranges from disenfranchising or minimizing the impact of non-white voters to making sure one party is all but guaranteed an electoral victory. The term (and practice) is not confined to, nor does it originate in the United States.

What I think you're referring to isn't gerrymandering but the Electoral College. Essentially, voters in American Presidential elections don't vote directly for a candidate. Each state has a set number of "electors" (equal to their total representatives in Congress), and the popular vote in each state determines which party's slate of electors gets to vote. It's winner take all, with one or two exceptions, so if 1% to 49% of the popular vote in a state goes for Candidate A, Candidate B gets all of that state's electoral votes. The Electoral College vote almost always reflects the nation-wide popular vote, with two notable exceptions, the most recent being the 2000 election.

Thanks a lot for the info, but you were right in assuming this was a joke. I do, however, find the electoral college to be ridiculous and harmful. I believe I discussed it with fine gents in a [chat] thread several weeks ago.

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Guess what redhead might be going to Portland for 4 days in the next monthish?

• Options
    Next question: Is it acceptable to stop dating someone if they watch Big Brother?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Chu you're really good at breakin my heart

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Next question: Is it acceptable to stop dating someone if they watch Big Brother?

Good lord no.

• Options
    In some ways I agree with the idea of the electoral college. Mostly because the "mob" isn't to be trusted, as per the last midterm shows. But its implementation right now is really just to show the approval of the mob and gives certain states more power than other states in the election. So basically we have hit the point where I think the country has outgrown it and we should abolish it. Though this would take a constitutional amendment and that would take many a year to go through. So our best bet is to try and minimize the damage it causes. Which means strict state laws on elections and proper oversight. Plus the removal of easily tampered with electric voter machines and making sure all elections have a paper record.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote:

Good lord no.

What if they watch it more than once and enjoy it?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote:

Good lord no.

No one is perfect. Sometimes you must accept a horrible flaw in taste for the rest of the package.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:

Good lord no.

Nobody is perfect.

• Options
    I think a state-by-state shift to proportional Electoral College representation would work as a short-term solution since a Constitutional amendment would be difficult to ratify, but then again there are a lot of states that are purple in reality but solid-red or solid-blue in the EC that won't want to make that change.

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Quid has yet to divorce me for The Real Housewives of [everywhere] so no, no it is not okay.

• Options
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

Good lord no.

Nobody is perfect.

So when I break up with her I say it's me not her, got it.

• Options
    Lawndart wrote:
    I think a state-by-state shift to proportional Electoral College representation would work as a short-term solution since a Constitutional amendment would be difficult to ratify, but then again there are a lot of states that are purple in reality but solid-red or solid-blue in the EC that won't want to make that change.

I like the idea. But this would require a lot of state constitutions to change. Which some of those would take a long period of time, others a single vote. I really do think, the solid vote though hurts some states since candidates do not really put time or money there do to either the small amount of EC votes and the perception of it being a sure thing for their opponent. Which hurts the general awareness of issues overall.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    True Blood was kinda lackluster tonight, and the season premiere of Entourage was...

Man, I like that show, but it could use some better writers. It is fluff, but really high quality fluff.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I watched batman begins tonight

it is p good

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

I like the idea. But this would require a lot of state constitutions to change. Which some of those would take a long period of time, others a single vote. I really do think, the solid vote though hurts some states since candidates do not really put time or money there do to either the small amount of EC votes and the perception of it being a sure thing for their opponent. Which hurts the general awareness of issues overall.

Proportional doesn't really fix that issue much. I mean Candidates aren't gonna ever spend much time in Vermont, simply because Vermont will never have enough population to really matter.

• Options
    Hakks, that was pretty awesome.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

it is p good

Do you swear?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Figured I'd take Elki's Arab and raise him a Persian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyi_sqNDmI

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:

it is p good

Do you swear?

often, and with gusto

I am trying to decide if I should watch the second one tonight too

that would keep me up real late :(

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular

it is p good

Had you never watched it before?

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

Proportional doesn't really fix that issue much. I mean Candidates aren't gonna ever spend much time in Vermont, simply because Vermont will never have enough population to really matter.

Well when you think of it that way neither will an abolished electoral college. Why spend time in Wyoming or Vermont when you can spend that time in Cali which you can win more votes by huge margins.

Oh the frustrations of elected representation.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I think Nebraska and Maine have a pretty solid deal in the electoral college in the absence of abolishing it. Each congressional district sends an elector based on results in that district, and then the overall winner of the state's popular vote would get the two extra.

Fun fact, in 2008, there were a few polls where Obama could have won two out three congressional districts in Nebraska and still lose the state at-large votes. That's how Republican the third district is.

• Options
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Lawndart wrote:

Well when you think of it that way neither will an abolished electoral college. Why spend time in Wyoming or Vermont when you can spend that time in Cali which you can win more votes by huge margins.

Oh the frustrations of elected representation.

The EC works mostly because other options aren't enough better to matter.

This discussion has been closed.