As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The tech in Avatar world seems to have jumped a lot in 70 years.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • PeonUPeonU Registered User regular
    It's weird the only reason why I watch avatar was not because of ang but all the other characters like Uncle Iroh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFASos1G-5U&feature=related

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The firebending nation already had access to steam era technology so I don't see it as surprising.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Iroh was the best character behind Toph.

He really contributed a lot, Avatar wouldn't be Avatar without him

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Considering how fast our tech has jumped in the last 70, doesn't strike me as out of line.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I imagine that technology progresses really quickly when you have magic powers and haven't been in a world war for the past few centuries

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    The firebending nation already had access to steam era technology so I don't see it as surprising.

It looks like they went from a pre-industrial society on the verge of an industrial revolution to a post-industrial society. 70 year just seems a little too short for all that change. Maybe the lack of guns is throwing me off.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:

Considering how fast our tech has jumped in the last 70, doesn't strike me as out of line.

This. This right here. This is why the technological jump in the show makes me very, very happy.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Couscous wrote:

It looks like they went from a pre-industrial society on the verge of an industrial revolution to a post-industrial society. 70 year just seems a little too short for all that change. Maybe the lack of guns is throwing me off.

1890 to 1960 is 70 years.

Plus they have magic to power things if need be.

Daxon on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Also, y'know, this isn't Earth. History doesn't have to apply.

Anyway, thanks for all the info, got the OP updated.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wonder if they'll have some kind of radio or zepplins.

Z0re on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote:
    Wonder if they'll have some kind of radio or zepplins.

...they had Zepplins in the first series.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Plus you can see zeppelins in the trailer.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    1850 to 1920 was only 70 years. They had freaking metal steam ships in the first series so it isn't that different from going from metal steam ships being the height of technology like during the Civil War to the jazz age.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Really nice to see Sozin's goal is still achieved too. Also happy to see Zuko and Aang accomplish in 70 years with peace what the tree generations before couldn't in over a hundred with warfare.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    I imagine that technology progresses really quickly when you have magic powers and haven't been in a world war for the past few centuries

Also it helps that the Fire Nation actually had something along the lines of Industrial Revolution-era, at the very least, industry.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

Actually the war clearly jumpstarted the tech boom( as is generally the case in real life). The Fire Nation was developing fuel powered vehicles when most people were still using horserats and buggies.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I like that they've jumped to the early Batman period. I hope there's an Avatar signal.

Anyway, I really hope that the water tribe industrialized quickly using watermill production and is now leading the adoption of electricity with hydroelectric generation. Meanwhile, the fire nation would hold dominance in powered transportation.

Nerdgasmic wrote:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Nerdgasmic wrote:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

On the other hand, which intimidated Hitler into not invading and which had the tank divisions that lost to infantry that wasn't even equipped with shoes?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

They also made the little knives with corkscrews in them.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

Hi 5 for classic movie reference.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing there's going to be a love triangle between Korra and the two brothers.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kyougu wrote:
    So I'm guessing there's going to be a love triangle between Korra and the two brothers.

God I hope not.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    Beezel wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

God I hope not.

Actually, the triangle will be Mako v Korra for Bolin.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    She's an Avatar who's learned 3 of the 4 disciplines and she's spent a year or more learning each so she's going to be pretty damn good.

I was making a joke about the general lack of water bending in those sequences.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Did she just put a dude through a window in that trailer?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Yes she did.

Opty wrote:
    She's an Avatar who's learned 3 of the 4 disciplines and she's spent a year or more learning each so she's going to be pretty damn good.

Beats the zero earth bending.

• Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Hell, bump that up 10 years. From 1900 to 1970, we transitioned from trains to the moon landing.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The scale of this is going to be interesting. For Aang it was your typical "save the world" scenario. With Korra, it looks like we'll be heavily focused on the city? I think the reason I'm excited is because what's at stake is key social issues. Namely the Bender vs. Non-Bender issue. It's going to be stuff that can't be solved with a lot of fights scenes, and I trust the writers to not make the Equalists very obvious villains. I want to see justified reasoning behind the bigotry. In a world where people get superpowers at random, I expect to see a lot of benders being the "haves," and the nonbenders making up most of the lower classes. Give us very gray areas where downtrodden class of people are being manipulated by the weird mask-wearing dudes.

So much potential here.

YL9WnCY.png
    I don't expect the benders will necessarily be the ones with the concentrated wealth, more so that they're feared because they command a high amount of power that can't really be controlled.

Also I decided to try and find photos of China in the 1850s then the 1920s

http://www.china-underground.com/magazine/once-upon-a-time-in-china-photos-taken-by-tourist-during-the-qing-dynasty

http://www.scribas.com/decade/1920s?page=5

The amount of change seems perfect.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Man, that animation looks absolutely gorgeous for a TV show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMbwBhl1x-Q

A look at some of the martial arts that are going to be included.

2ohWien.png
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    That documentary is so cool

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Also I decided to try and find photos of China in the 1850s then the 1920s

http://www.china-underground.com/magazine/once-upon-a-time-in-china-photos-taken-by-tourist-during-the-qing-dynasty

http://www.scribas.com/decade/1920s?page=5

The amount of change seems perfect.

Perfect with the caveat that China actually went through hell for that amount of change. Talking about complete destruction of the imperial government, internal strife and the foreign occupation of its major cities and territories. Hopefully in the fictional world, history would be kinder

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    I'd kind of like to see them stray from East Asian martial arts a bit more with stuff like khridoli, musangwe, okichitaw, tinku, jailhouse rock, and bokator

We need some bartitsu up in here.

2ohWien.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Opty wrote:

Beats the zero earth bending.

But she wasn't born in the Earth kingdom, so that makes more sense.

This discussion has been closed.