The [Doctor Who] Thread

1303133353699

Posts

  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    "Haven't you figured that one out yet?"

    DAMNIT MOFFAT, STOP TAUNTING US

    Oh geez, this. Dammit Moffat.

  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Wild guess about a returning baddie from the trailer
    I have a gut feeling we aren't getting another Angel episode and those are a hologram or shapeshifter or something.

    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User
    I really like the eyepiece contains a picture of a Silent theory. That's a pretty ingenious way of resisting them.

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Shanadeus wrote:
    I really like the eyepiece contains a picture of a Silent theory. That's a pretty ingenious way of resisting them.

    Actually that makes a lot of sense.
    The doctor has to die for the silence to be defeated so she engineers his death and, indirectly, the death of the silence.

    Daxon on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Shanadeus wrote:
    I really like the eyepiece contains a picture of a Silent theory. That's a pretty ingenious way of resisting them.

    Actually that makes a lot of sense.
    The doctor has to die for the silence to be defeated

    How did you reach that conclusion?

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Shanadeus wrote:
    I really like the eyepiece contains a picture of a Silent theory. That's a pretty ingenious way of resisting them.

    Actually that makes a lot of sense.
    The doctor has to die for the silence to be defeated

    How did you reach that conclusion?

    Magic.

    But it was just speculation based on Shanadeus' spoiler.

  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Alecthar wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    Shanadeus wrote:
    I really like the eyepiece contains a picture of a Silent theory. That's a pretty ingenious way of resisting them.

    Actually that makes a lot of sense.
    The doctor has to die for the silence to be defeated

    How did you reach that conclusion?

    Magic.

    But it was just speculation based on Shanadeus' spoiler.

    I still don't get how one leads into the other.

    I'm also really interested in seeing how Moffat justifies keeping the companions around next season given everything that's going down. I honestly feel like the answer to that question is significant in terms of the continued creative health of the show.

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    We don't have a guarantee anyone's gonna be around next series.

  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Daxon wrote:
    We don't have a guarantee anyone's gonna be around next series.
    Karen Gillan said she is, and Matt Smith is apparently contracted for it.

    Alecthar on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Ugh, I sent you a PM about this. I suggest you read it.

  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    So, finally got around to watching the second episode of Torchwood on iPlayer. It didn't get any better. :(

  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Xagarath wrote:
    Rory and Donna are both among the better companions Dr Who as a whole has seen, even if Donna's send-off was awful.
    In fact, Rory is arguably the best male companion since Jamie. (Turlough might qualify, too)

    ... Turlough? Seriously? he came across to me as an arrogant jerk most of the time.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    So, finally got around to watching the second episode of Torchwood on iPlayer. It didn't get any better. :(

    Watch "Random Shoes" from torchwood. Its...different.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    So, finally got around to watching the second episode of Torchwood on iPlayer. It didn't get any better. :(

    I've seen the third episode and it doesn't get any better.

    Instead there are two sex scenes that come out of pretty much nowhere.

  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Speaking of sex scenes..

    I dont know what they thought they were accomplishing by interspacing M/F sex scenes with M/M sex scenes in last weeks torchwood. Other then totally confusing peoples boners (cause the woman is hot and im sure any gays watching the show wasnt interesting in seeing the woman).

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    I was largely annoyed by both sex scenes. They were dumb. But this is, after all, torchwood.

  • silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User
    In the recent trailer, anyone notice that @ 31 seconds in, there might be an appearance of one of Moffat's Clockwork Robots? I know the face is different, but the clockwork noise as it moves it's head is very distinguishable.

    I think he's going to reuse them:)

  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    azith28 wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:
    Rory and Donna are both among the better companions Dr Who as a whole has seen, even if Donna's send-off was awful.
    In fact, Rory is arguably the best male companion since Jamie. (Turlough might qualify, too)

    ... Turlough? Seriously? he came across to me as an arrogant jerk most of the time.
    Guy has some fans, I hear

    Xagarath on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Be honest, if you were an actor and someone said "hey do you want to be in a GI Joe movie?", would you or would you not sign on sight unseen

    being honest, i would not because i would be a picky bastard and i don't it for the money.


    in other news, torchwood was much much better this week, murray gold still sucks though, what happend to his good stuff from the recent run of doctor who?

    You know what they call people like that in Hollywood?
    Waitstaff.

    only the ones who dont give 110%.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    azith28 wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    So, finally got around to watching the second episode of Torchwood on iPlayer. It didn't get any better. :(

    Watch "Random Shoes" from torchwood. Its...different.

    Yes, "Random Shoes" is gold. Also, "They Keep Killing Suzie" and "Small World" (the fairy episode) are quite nice. "Cyberwoman" is the worst.

    Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Krathoon wrote:
    azith28 wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    So, finally got around to watching the second episode of Torchwood on iPlayer. It didn't get any better. :(

    Watch "Random Shoes" from torchwood. Its...different.

    Yes, "Random Shoes" is gold. Also, "They Keep Killing Suzie" and "Small World" (the fairy episode) are quite nice. "Cyberwoman" is the worst. The season finale is also great.

    Krathoon on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Surreal. Immersive. Earth.Registered User regular
    Christopher Eccleston finally reveals more on his reasons for leaving the show:
    “I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

    “I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of shit. I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and– we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work.

    “If you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure – if you allow that to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you’re knackered. You’ve got to keep something back, for yourself, because it’ll be present in your work. A purity or an idealism is essential or you’ll become– you’ve got to have standards, no matter how hard work that is. So it makes it a hard road, really.

    “You know, it’s easy to find a job when you’ve got no morals, you’ve got nothing to be compromised, you can go, ‘Yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won’t say anything about it’. But then when that director comes to you and says ‘I think you should play it like this’ you’ve surely got to go ‘How can I respect you, when you behave like that?’

    “So, that’s why I left. My face didn’t fit and I’m sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I’ve always acted for adults and then suddenly you’re acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be bullshitted. It’s either good, or it’s bad. They don’t schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails.”

    NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Sooo ... I finally caught up on all the episodes. Just watched "A good man goes to war" ... too bad I spoiled myself on the final twist a few days ago. Still was an awesome episode. But ...
    How did the Reptilian Lady end up in London in the 1800s?

    Last years christmas was pretty cool as well ...

  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    How did the Reptilian Lady end up in London in the 1800s?
    The Silurians/Sea Devils have been on Earth for millennia. We've seen a few instances in the old series and the new where groups of them have awoken. Presumably there are other instances we haven't seen or have yet to see.
    The Silurian in A Good Man Goes to War was not intended to be one we've seen before.

    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I really want a Sea Devils episode.

  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote:
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    How did the Reptilian Lady end up in London in the 1800s?
    The Silurians/Sea Devils have been on Earth for millennia. We've seen a few instances in the old series and the new where groups of them have awoken. Presumably there are other instances we haven't seen or have yet to see.
    The Silurian in A Good Man Goes to War was not intended to be one we've seen before.

    Ah .. makes sense. Espcially since the actress in A Good Man Goes to War is the same as in last years series ... that's why I got confused.

  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They recycle actors all the time though. Eve Myles even managed to go fom supporting cast on Who to main on Torchwood, assuming you consider that a step up...

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    They recycle actors all the time though. Eve Myles even managed to go fom supporting cast on Who to main on Torchwood, assuming you consider that a step up...

    Karen Gillan was part of the strange face-painted group in the Pompeii episode, the lass who played Martha was also in the Cyberman episode at the end of the previous series.

    Away from principals, Doctor Who is a lot like Casualty - nearly every British actor will end up in at least a walk on part at some point.

  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Heck they even made it a plot point that Martha's 'cousin' (or was it sister?) was killed in the Canary Wharf incident so she was not really unaccustomed to this sort of thing in her life. Except, like so much on that season, this little factoid was immediately forgotten never to be heard from again...

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Eccleston's rant was awfully vague.

    w4c8g6uf3igi.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I just saw Blink for the first time.

    Stevan Moffat is officially the architech of evil.

    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Where is that really neat post that gives people a list of episodes that they should watch if they want to see if they like Doctor Who?

    It included Blink and the like. . .sort of stand-alone episodes.

  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote:
    I just saw Blink for the first time.

    Stevan Moffat is officially the architech of evil.

    He lives off the fear of small children.

  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    You know, while Blink is a great episode, I wouldn't put it on a list of "episodes to watch to see if you like Doctor Who" on account of the fact it's really not a 'normal' DW episode. The Doctor barely even appears in it.

    sig.gif
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    This is the "the ones to watch" post I wrote.
    Bethryn wrote:
    I'll give my opinion on what's good to watch for each season.
    Stuff marked for continuity means someone/something introduced in it becomes relevant later. It's not always good but it's not always bad either.

    Season 1:
    Rose
    The End of the World (for continuity)
    Dalek
    The Long Game (for continuity)
    The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
    Bad Wolf/The Parting of Ways
    The Christmas Invasion

    Season 2:
    New Earth
    School Reunion (for backwards continuity)
    The Girl in the Fireplace
    Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel (for continuity)
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
    Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
    The Runaway Bride (for continuity)

    Season 3:
    Smith and Jones
    Gridlock (for continuity)
    Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks (for continuity)
    Human Nature/The Family of Blood (for continuity)
    Blink
    Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords

    Season 4:
    Partners in Crime
    Planet of the Ood (for continuity)
    The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky
    Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (for continuity)
    The Stolen Earth/Journey's End
    The Waters of Mars
    The End of Time

    The Idiot's Lantern (S2), The Lazarus Experiment (S3), 42 (S3), Voyage of the Damned (S3), The Fires of Pompeii (S4), The Doctor's Daughter (S4), Midnight (S4) and Turn Left (S4) are all fairly middle-of-the-road standalone episodes that aren't awful or amazing. Watch or skip at your leisure.

  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Eccleston's rant was awfully vague.

    I have seen interpretations of it ranging from "Eccleston was overworked beyond imagination" to "Eccleston didn't like working for a gay guy".

    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote:
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    How did the Reptilian Lady end up in London in the 1800s?
    The Silurians/Sea Devils have been on Earth for millennia. We've seen a few instances in the old series and the new where groups of them have awoken. Presumably there are other instances we haven't seen or have yet to see.
    The Silurian in A Good Man Goes to War was not intended to be one we've seen before.

    I thought for sure that she made a reference to her dead sister...

  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Eccleston's rant was awfully vague.

    I have seen interpretations of it ranging from "Eccleston was overworked beyond imagination" to "Eccleston didn't like working for a gay guy".

    The problem anyone has with RTD isn't that he's gay.

  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote:
    Krathoon wrote:
    azith28 wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    So, finally got around to watching the second episode of Torchwood on iPlayer. It didn't get any better. :(

    Watch "Random Shoes" from torchwood. Its...different.

    Yes, "Random Shoes" is gold. Also, "They Keep Killing Suzie" and "Small World" (the fairy episode) are quite nice. "Cyberwoman" is the worst. The season finale is also great.

    You got the Random Shoes and Cyberwoman part backwards. Actually, I hated Small World, and like Countrycide instead. Cyberwoman and the season finale are among the finest pieces of television ever created. Cherish them.

  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Eccleston's rant was awfully vague.

    I have seen interpretations of it ranging from "Eccleston was overworked beyond imagination" to "Eccleston didn't like working for a gay guy".

    The problem anyone has with RTD isn't that he's gay.

    OOh lemme guess! Is it because his writing is completely uninspired?

This discussion has been closed.