As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Bendis is still writing

a different character will be taking over the Spider-Man identity, but we don't know anything about who it will be, whether it is a character we already know, or whether it will be a new character.

it will be in the same continuity, they are not rebooting the Ultimate universe, they are just starting a new chapter, as it were.

I guess I can stomach it, so long as the universe continues onward; I loved what Bendis was doing with each and every character, particularly the non-Spidey ones. I hate to see all that reset or made null in void.

Johnny, Kitty, and Bobby made for far better Spider-Man characters then they did in their previous respective series. I hope they remain regulars.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

Johnny, Kitty, and Bobby made for far better Spider-Man characters then they did in their previous respective series. I hope they remain regulars.

:( They're about half of the new Ultimate X-Men lineup, so it seems unlikely that they'll be in Spider-Man regularly. Even Torch.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:
    what exactly are you asking

that is the dude playing Spider-Man in the new Spider-Man movie

Yes, I know who Andrew Garfield is. I was just wondering if that was something he chose to do because he's actually a really big Spider-Man fan or whether it was strictly a promotional thing put on.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I mean

there's no way to know for sure but he seemed genuine enough

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's not so hard to believe that a young, English-speaking male has some affection for Spider-Man.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Fact: Spider-Man fights crime in the real world! Electronic Ankle Bracelet inspired by the Spider Tracer.

The more you know.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If Garfield is a real Spider-Man fan, you would just ask him what his favorite run or story is that he's read. If he says it's something that isn't the story that the movie is based on, for instance, he's probably telling the truth. If you asked him who Ben Reilly was, he would probably know if was a real Spidey fan since he was prime reading age for the Clone Saga.

• Options
    I'd call people who really enjoyed the other films or cartoons fans as well, though.

And even if they don't know who Ben Reilly is, they'll have a fundamental grasp of the character.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Gank wrote:
    Fact: Spider-Man fights crime in the real world! Electronic Ankle Bracelet inspired by the Spider Tracer.

The more you know.
    holy shit this is amazing

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    If Garfield is a real Spider-Man fan, you would just ask him what his favorite run or story is that he's read. If he says it's something that isn't the story that the movie is based on, for instance, he's probably telling the truth. If you asked him who Ben Reilly was, he would probably know if was a real Spidey fan since he was prime reading age for the Clone Saga.

Yes, we must grill him to make sure he is a true fan and isn't just trying to trick us with his heartfelt, handwritten speech.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Not saying grill him, but that would be a decent barometer I think. Ben Reilly is generally known among people his age. Even the mention of Clone Saga would bring back memories. He was even on the cartoon show.

A lot of actors and actresses always say they love a character but they can never really say why. Kate Bosworth, for instance, on one of the late shows talked about how much she loved Lois Lane but when asked why she hemmed and hawed and never gave anything beyond generalities. Ben Affleck, on the other hand, was a DD fan before he starred in the movie.

Plus, he's an actor, he can lie to us all at will, they are a tricky lot.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    When actors talk about how much they like comics/other niche stuff, I always think of that episode of Entourage where Adrian Grenier's character, who's playing Aquaman in a new movie, learns just enough about the character and his history, to provide bullshit fluff answers to a stereotypical, nerdy blogger.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If that speech wasn't from the heart but actually a publicity stunt then we should all be happy because it would mean that Garfield is a staggeringly good actor.

Myself, I think it is pretty obvious that he is a big fan who was actually excited as hell to be up there. The stuff he said isn't the kind of thing people just make up, it's clear that Spider-Man is hugely important to him personally and I think that's a good thing.

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    A lot of actors and actresses always say they love a character but they can never really say why. Kate Bosworth, for instance, on one of the late shows talked about how much she loved Lois Lane but when asked why she hemmed and hawed and never gave anything beyond generalities. Ben Affleck, on the other hand, was a DD fan before he starred in the movie.

And even though it had some god awful parts, at least Ghost Rider had Nic Cage, a fan so hardcore they had to remove Ghost Rider tattoos in post production.

Plus Garfield seems the type to be an actual Spidey fan. Ya know, male and born in the last 40 years. And even if he isn't, like Solar said, I want a liar that good acting in my comic movies.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Cannot wait, this art <3 MJ
    ASM671.jpg

• Options
    god

damn

• Options
    Woah!

• Options
    So wait, they finally undid that whole devil nonsense? Finally?

• Options
    Nope

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yeah, it just means she's getting Spider-Powers like everyone else in Manhattan.

And that, as a side effect, she's developed a wandering eye.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It should be interesting to show the effect Spider Island has on the ethos of "with great power comes great responsibility". What happens in a world where everyone has "great power"? Does that leave one with less responsibility? More?

• Options
    If Earth X is anything to go by, Spider-Man responds by retiring and letting his body turn into Uncle Ben's.

But in this case he's got tech and experience to distinguish himself, not to mention his new martial arts skills.

• Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    Nope

Boy, I sure would like that retarded plot line that everyone hates to finally get undone, yes sir.

Of course, I can continue to do what I've been doing for the last several years and stick to Ultimate Spidey as the de-facto Spidey.

• Options
    Or you could not let one bad story that happened like 100 issues ago stop you from reading a book that is pretty good!

But whatever floats your boat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    Or you could not let one bad story that happened like 100 issues ago stop you from reading a book that is pretty good!

But whatever floats your boat

I can when it's a story that, should the day come that they reverse it, could completely nullify everything that's happened in-between.

Wouldn't be the first time that happened, I admit, but in general I'm tired of "major story lines" that basically say "so this stuff happened...oh wait, now it didn't happen."

But I'm especially disgusted by this particular decision as it stemmed purely from the fact that they refuse to have their character "age" in any way.

So how long until DC makes Dick Grayson turn 12 again and resume his role as Robin?

• Options
    I don't understand this idea that you refuse to read something because there is a possibility it will be undone in the future.

You are in the wrong medium if that is really all it takes to put you off of something.

Comics are cyclical, all's I want is good stories. I mean yes, I prefer the cycles to last a long time. It's dumb when they revert to a status quo too soon. (I was more upset about Peter being remasked than I was about the marriage going away).

I loved Hickman's response to a question along these lines about the human torch's death.
    A fan asks what it was like to write Human Torch's death, knowing that it would not be permanent. Hickman said that's a mistaken way of thinking. "What we do at Marvel Comics is right perpetual second act stories. The goal is to tell the best Fantastic Four story you can. Knowing you have a starting point, and a point where you get fired, and in between do the best work you can."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    I don't understand this idea that you refuse to read something because there is a possibility it will be undone in the future.

You are in the wrong medium if that is really all it takes to put you off of something.

Comics are cyclical, all's I want is good stories. I mean yes, I prefer the cycles to last a long time. It's dumb when they revert to a status quo too soon. (I was more upset about Peter being remasked than I was about the marriage going away).

I loved Hickman's response to a question along these lines about the human torch's death.
    A fan asks what it was like to write Human Torch's death, knowing that it would not be permanent. Hickman said that's a mistaken way of thinking. "What we do at Marvel Comics is right perpetual second act stories. The goal is to tell the best Fantastic Four story you can. Knowing you have a starting point, and a point where you get fired, and in between do the best work you can."

There's a lot more reasons why this irks me in particular, but I don't want to derail the thread.

Basically, they decided to "shake things up" by making a change to the status quo that nobody wanted in the first place all in an effort to "freeze" their character from evolving. Sure, major deaths and alternate timeilnes are the norm in comics, but in this case they chose to do a clean sweep on the last decade or so of the character's changes, both old (MJ) and new (unmasking).

And yet even despite the fact that people demand they fix this, the people in charge still stubbornly stick to it, instead introducing another arc that basically says "No. Fuck you."

It reeks of the Clone Saga, except they're sticking with their stupid "shake-up" even longer.

I haven't read any of the stories taking place afterward, so I won't debate with people for liking them. But as long as that elephant's in the room, I would like to stick with a series that (in my opinion) has kept a consistently well-written and evolving continuity.

At least until I get that series' respective "shake-up", which I've yet to experience.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I wanted the change in the status quo

Marvel answers to me about the Spider marriage and me alone

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I wanted a spider baby.

Why am I the only person on planet Earth who thinks Peter being a hip Spider-Dad would be freaking awesome?

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I've looked at that picture too many times today... haha

• Options
    I wanted a spider baby.

Why am I the only person on planet Earth who thinks Peter being a hip Spider-Dad would be freaking awesome?
    you aren't.

• Options
    How many Marvel Superhero dads are there, anyway?

There's Mr Fantastic and......um....Cyclops?

• Options
    If Earth X is anything to go by, Spider-Man responds by retiring and letting his body turn into Uncle Ben's.

But in this case he's got tech and experience to distinguish himself, not to mention his new martial arts skills.

Plus he has been punched in the face like, a million times by various super-villains

Everyone else gets Spider-Powers, but Peter a) knows his powers better, b) has tech, and c) is actually a tough and skilled fighter

It's not like everyone is just becoming Spider-Man!

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Luke Cage and Wolverine too.

• Options
    You are a crazy person. And I don't mean because you don't like the any of the post OMD stuff. You admit you haven't read them and ok that's fine, and even if you had read them you may not like some or even most or all of them. There's no story out there that everyone likes.

But the idea that there is some kind of vindictive drive to maintaining this status quo against an overwhelming tide of dissent (when really, most people got over it awhile ago) and that they are deliberately writing stories as a "fuck you" to certain segments of fandom is crazy talk. These are things a crazy person thinks.

Don't take comics so personally.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Wolverine is technically a dad

Osborn is a super villain dad

Hulk is a dad

Luke Cage is a dad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    I wanted a spider baby.

This is essentially Spider-Girl (The two mayday series not the current cancelled one). So you can have that!

ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The weird thing is, we got Spider-Dad. Spider-Girl had her own universe for dozens of more issues than sales allowed and it followed Peter as a loving father the whole time.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Scott Lang was a super hero dad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Does Corsair count? He's dead now anyway

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]