As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...Also AP Bio, The Mick, and Mythic Quest

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited February 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is a show on FX about five sociopaths (called "The Gang") who run a very unsuccessful bar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvannia, called Paddy's Pub. When the Gang isn't at the bar (which is most of the time; the two or three regulars at Paddy's Pub usually serve themselves), they're off on crazy ventures that often put innocent bystanders, each other, and themselves at risk. Though the members of the Gang are ostensibly friends, they often manipulate and backstab one another in pursuit of their own personal goals, which can include deciding who to put on a billboard, how to deal with bums pleasuring themselves in the alley, and discovering who pooped in a bed.

itsalwayssunnyinphiladelphiaseason7.png

Here's a rundown of the Gang (from top to bottom):

Rob McElhenney as "Ronald 'Mac' McDonald" - The "sheriff of Paddy's", Mac is a supposed bouncer who believes he is much more capable at martial arts than he really is. Whenever he fails at pulling-off a karate move or back-flipping up a wall, Mac is quick to offer an excuse as to why he couldn't perform such a feat at the time. Mac longs for the love and attention of his father, Luther; however, he has also had Luther arrested, so whatever. Mac lives in an apartment together with Dennis (Dennis, BTW, apparently spies on Mac's room whenever Mac has a lady friend over); however, he is a childhood friend of Charlie's as well (as they are both "white trash").

Danny DeVito as "Frank Reynolds" - The father of Dennis and Sweet Dee (or is he?), Frank joined the Gang in season 2. Frank amassed great wealth through shady and corrupt business methods, but has since decided that he wants to abandon the upper class lifestyle. While he originally intended to give his money to charity, Dennis and Sweet Dee convinced him to hang on to it (hoping they could inherit it). Frank now lives with Charlie and has taken over ownership of Paddy's Pub, using his expertise at cooking the books to somehow wring a profit out of the bar. As such, the rest of the Gang is nearly completely dependent on Frank for money (which he is usually happy to provide, except when he's not).

Glenn Howerton as "Dennis Reynolds" - A self proclaimed playboy, Dennis Reynolds could be said to be the brains of the Gang. Dennis isn't very smart, and most certainly not wise, but he has a great amount of charisma. Out of all the members of the Gang, Dennis is the most sociopathic; he's perfected a system of manipulating women emotionally into having sex with him, can cry on cue, was flattered when Charlie compared him to a serial killer, and even let slip to Mac that he hasn't had "feelings" since high school. Dennis has also written an autobiography, "Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life", which describes his sexual exploits and recounts how Christ-like stigmata wounds manifested on his palms.

Charlie Day as "Charlie Kelly" - The janitor of Paddy's Pub, Charlie is unintelligent, ignorant, and nearly illiterate, but perhaps the nicest person out of the entire Gang (that's still not very nice). Charlie lives in absolute squalor; he has to eat cat food and huff glue to sleep (because of all the howling cats outside of his window; the cat food and glue make him really sick, but also tired enough to sleep despite the cats), he uses a coffee can instead of a toilet, and he isn't above eating out of the garbage. Charlie also stalks a girl known only as the Waitress, seeking an opportunity to earn her love (he has so far failed miserably; telling her he had cancer when he really didn't certainly didn't help). Frank decided to move in with him after abandoning the upper class lifestyle; the pair have since formed a strong friendship and enjoy enriching activities such as dumpster diving and crawling around at night pretending to be worms.

Kaitlin Olson as "Deandra 'Sweet Dee' Reynolds" - The waitress of Paddy's Pub and supposed "professional actress" (she can't say more than a sentence on stage before dry heaving), Sweet Dee suffers nearly constant emotional, financial, and sometimes even physical abuse from the rest of the Gang. They Gang has stolen Dee's life savings out of her sock drawer, totaled her car, had her next car stolen, and have even poisoned her (just after telling Dee that they were proud of her) as part of their schemes. Despite all this, Dee continues to hang out with the Gang. Dee sometimes brings her only other friend, Artemis (Artemis Pebdani), into the Gang's plots, but not even Artemis is above abusing Dee (who, in her own words, is a "slutty whore bitch"). Dee is also partially responsible for the continued degradation of Matthew Mara aka Rickety Cricket (David Hornsby), a former Catholic priest turned bum, who was infatuated with Dee in high school (despite her back brace).

Hexmage-PA on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    So Mac got fat to make "Big Mac" jokes.............?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Also, I have never laughed like I laughed to "Dee dates a retard". I know what almost dying is like now.

• Options
    So Mac got fat to make "Big Mac" jokes.............?

Dude! Spoilers!

• Options
    Is that really a spoiler? Can you spoil It's Always Sunny?

Sorry, I read an article about it awhile ago!!!!!!!!!!!! (and I refuse to believe that's a spoiler)

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    This is a show, that is worth getting on DVD. I don't think many comedies are, because they get old pretty quick. But Sunny transcends comedy.

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    EWom wrote:
    This is a show, that is worth getting on DVD. I don't think many comedies are, because they get old pretty quick. But Sunny transcends comedy.

I have the fourth and fifth seasons on DVD. I had the first and second seasons (which were in the same DVD collection), but I don't know where they are because I lent them to someone at some point in time.

That's what I get for trusting people!

But yes, when I get the money I'll buy season three on DVD and hire an assassin to discover who has my seasons 1&2 DVD and kill them.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Christmas special. Oh god the christmas special.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Always Sunny Live was awesome. For those that don't remember, they did a live tour where they performed an extended version of The Nightman Cometh along with showing a preview of the Christmas special and an upcoming (at the time) episode of season 6.

It was fantastic.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Six wrote:
    Always Sunny Live was awesome. For those that don't remember, they did a live tour where they performed an extended version of The Nightman Cometh along with showing a preview of the Christmas special and an upcoming (at the time) episode of season 6.

It was fantastic.

I assume you attended? I saw the DVD featurette about it, which barely showed much of anything.

• Options
    Also, how intoxicated is the Gang usually? Danny DeVito said in one of the DVD commentaries that they haven't done an episode where the characters weren't drunk. Furthermore, Charlie once drank 24 beers in one night by himself while still remaining conscious. Do they just have a superhuman tolerance for alcohol?

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Yeah this is one of my favourite shows. I have a few other comedy shows I love but I think It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia makes me laugh the most

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    The picture makes Dennis look really creepy.

Because of, you know, the implications.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Modern Man wrote:

"I can't wait to get out on this boat and have girls making rash decisions based on fear!"

Seriously, every member of the Gang is at least somewhat likely to hurt you (maybe on accident), but Dennis is the only one I'd really be afraid of being around.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    Also, how intoxicated is the Gang usually? Danny DeVito said in one of the DVD commentaries that they haven't done an episode where the characters weren't drunk. Furthermore, Charlie once drank 24 beers in one night by himself while still remaining conscious. Do they just have a superhuman tolerance for alcohol?

was that the one where they tried to use charlie's drunken invulnerability to turn him into a underground boxer?

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote:

was that the one where they tried to use charlie's drunken invulnerability to turn him into a underground boxer?

No, I was talking about the one where Charlie was claiming Mac was his best friend.

• Options
    Mac Bangs the Waitress.

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:

"I can't wait to get out on this boat and have girls making rash decisions based on fear!"

Seriously, every member of the Gang is at least somewhat likely to hurt you (maybe on accident), but Dennis is the only one I'd really be afraid of being around.
    Dennis is a giant pussy, though. He's probably only really a threat to drunken college girls and the occasional runaway at the bus station.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Dennis evolving into a sociopath is awesome. Its also fun to watch earlier episodes and realize he always was one, it was just a bit more subtle.

Big Mac is the best thing ever. The fact he would do that to his body, just to write stupid jokes is amazing. The dumber and less funny the jokes are, the better the concept becomes.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    Six wrote:

It was fantastic.

I assume you attended? I saw the DVD featurette about it, which barely showed much of anything.

Yeah, I went to the NYC show. It was an absolute blast.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote:
    Big Mac is the best thing ever. The fact he would do that to his body, just to write stupid jokes is amazing. The dumber and less funny the jokes are, the better the concept becomes.

Couldn't he just wear a fat suit? Glenn Howerton already did it once to portray Dennis' child molester doppelganger.

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    I tend to love episodes that have the McPoyles

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    one of the funniest shows of all time and one that holds up super strong to repeated viewings. I know because I've watched a lot of it 5+ times.

such a great show, can't wait for the new season.

nice thread

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I absolutely adore this show, and own every episode. I love that every protagonist is just an unrepentently horrible person, and the show knows it. One of the things that drove me nuts about Arrested Development was that they seemed to expect me to sympathize with the main character who was almost as shitty as everyone else. That said, the irony is doesn't everyone have a soft spot for Charlie? I mean think about some of the things he has done; he's just about one of the most horrible people you could ever meet. Yet he's such a sad sack sometimes, you just can't help it. And then it makes me laugh that much harder when he does something horrible. Mac sometimes sneaks into this territory too, with some of his puppy dog looks. Or for instance coming across better by being a foil to Dennis' sociopathy like in the Implication scene.

I also always love their take on current events. The absurd mass ignorance they show towards any and all topics or anyone's actually opinions about them means they can mine anything for comedy gold. Except of course for Dennis' unusually thorough knowledge of gay male sexual culture, which is equally hilarious.

I love the continuity they maintain season to season too. It's always fun to see the return of some recurring character and see where their batshit crazy lives have taken them. The continued freefall of Rickety Cricket, somehow below rock bottom, is hilarious. Part of which being that there are enough minor characters that it's always a pleasant surprise when one shows up to play. The McPoyles showing up with a glass of milk, or Artemis helping investigate some poo is always welcome. And the lawyer! God love the lawyer, and Charlie's lawyering responses!

I'm gushing.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The amazing part is, in contrast to Arrested Development, I somehow usually sympathize with these horrible people. Charlie and Mac mainly. Dennis is too big of a psycho. Dee is a terrible person, but you dont hate her for that, you hate her for looking like a bird! And Frank doesn't want our sympathy.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    When Charlie Day's character in "Horrible Bosses" was spouting out legal jargon all I could think was yelling out Bird law at the end. I missed too much of the last season and need to get to watching that soon.

• Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

Couldn't he just wear a fat suit? Glenn Howerton already did it once to portray Dennis' child molester doppelganger.

Maybe he just wanted to bulk up and found a good opportunity to do it? I saw him at the SDCC panel and he'd lost a significant portion of the fat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote:
    The amazing part is, in contrast to Arrested Development, I somehow usually sympathize with these horrible people. Charlie and Mac mainly. Dennis is too big of a psycho. Dee is a terrible person, but you dont hate her for that, you hate her for looking like a bird! And Frank doesn't want our sympathy.

One of my favorite aspects of the show is that all the characters are so close to being decent people, but ultimately got screwed up by their environment, usually their terrible parents. It's easy to see that if their lives had played out just a little bit differently, they could've ended up as very different people.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    An Always Sunny Sing-a-Long

Is there no way to have videos play on the forums any more?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Just post the url of the video (not the embed link, just the location) - no tags or anything are required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTK4h7_xQg

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    EWom wrote:
    I tend to love episodes that have the McPoyles
    GISing "Thesy Surface" makes you look at the McPoyles in a whole new light.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I went as a McPoyle last Halloween. Bathrobe, monobrow, milk. FTW.

• Options
    Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    The Gang Gets Held Hostage is one of my favourite half hours of comedy ever. Charlie is amazing, his attempts at writing are always so great. "If here by now then bad place be, trouble time for you when he comes". It blew my mind when I found out Charlie Day is really married to Mary Elizabeth Ellis.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    "The Gang Gets Held Hostage" is probably my favorite episode of the show. I doubt they'll ever top it, but I fervently hope they will.

And yes, it's always great whenever Charlie writes something.

Dennis:"'If you vote me, I'm hot.' What?!"

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Wait... nobody posted the Season 7 promo trailer yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwkNdA18TJA

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    OH

MY

GOD

• Options
    I love how completely serious that trailer is. You just know that after Dennis says "There's more to life than piles of food" he probably says something incredibly derogatory and insulting.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    That's awesome.

There's another trailer that showed on FX (that I can't seem to find on YouTube) done in the same mock serious style that featured Frank trying to teach Charlie things in a Helen Keller/Miracle Worker style. It's pretty funny.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    I love how completely serious that trailer is. You just know that after Dennis says "There's more to life than piles of food" he probably says something incredibly derogatory and insulting.

I particularly like the Cider House Rules-style ending graphic.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    "The Gang Gets Held Hostage" is probably my favorite episode of the show. I doubt they'll ever top it, but I fervently hope they will.

The best part is that Glenn Howerton improvised that whole speech that Charlie wrote.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote:
    Hexmage-PA wrote:

The best part is that Glenn Howerton improvised that whole speech that Charlie wrote.

Oh, really? That's very interesting.

Regarding Charlie's troubles with writing, I liked that episode from last season where the Gang had to decipher the nigh-incomprehensible pictograms in his dream journal.