As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Steamworks and [Phalla] Obscura: Day 3: Full Life Consequences

• Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    !Sign up, I've played in exactly 0 Phallas before, and the last time I played Mafia was in high school on bus trips.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Time zone?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Niiiice, some completely new people.

Time to corrupt :twisted:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    Whoops, EST.

The D&D thread introduced the concept, I'd seen them in CF, but never bothered. Now I'm hooked on reading game threads. I understand I'm supposed to vote for kime on day 1? Yes?

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    voting day one kime just makes him stronger

• Options
    Oh, how quickly they learn :lol:

Rule #1 of Phalla: Always trust kime

Steam profile
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    kime wrote:
    Niiiice, some completely new people.

Kime to corrupt :twisted:

This is what I imagined you said

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    kime wrote:
    Oh, how quickly they learn :lol:

Rule #1 of Phalla: Always kill kime
    This works better.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Rend deals are most definitely not in the lesson plan. (PACIFIC)

• Options
    Just need 2 more of each type

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that in my four games I've never spoken a single lie.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    I also actively try not to lie, but I had to do it in the SK game, I was just basically asked a few times are you the witch

uh

no man, not me

• Options
    Langly wrote:
    I also actively try not to lie, but I had to do it in the SK game, I was just basically asked a few times are you the witch

uh

no man, not me

Oh ok ty anyway

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    When mafia I lie like crazy...I feel like the Rend method is harder to accomplish, but works out so much better in the end.

• Options
    nah i mean I saw someone in a pointy shaped hat go that way though good luck

• Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    There are lots of ways to mislead without outright lying. But I'm not really an expert in not lying in phalla.

• Options
    Addendum:

I'm pretty sure that in my four games of Phalla I've never not said something that came to my mind.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    yeah facetious I feel like I'm a pretty chatty phalla player but you make me look like a mute.

• Options
    This is a good thing, though. Honestly, I wish more people were more talkative. You don't need brilliant ideas, you don't need to be right. Just think out loud, make some guesses, give some reasoning, discuss with other people, joke around with other people.

Everyone playing this game: talk! Make friends, make enemies, make brilliant mistakes, have fun!

Steam profile
  • Options
    I don't know whether I'm glad or sad that the thread post counter is gone with the new forums.

I'm always near the top but in Loxley I probably doubled anyone else's total. >_>

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    kime wrote:
    This is a good thing, though. Honestly, I wish more people were more talkative. You don't need brilliant ideas, you don't need to be right. Just think out loud, make some guesses, give some reasoning, discuss with other people, joke around with other people.

Everyone playing this game: talk! Make friends, make enemies, make brilliant mistakes, have fun!

See, this is my philosophy too. I want to goof around and enjoy it, not be super stressed out trying to win. I think I take it a bit too far though. :P

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    kime wrote:

death2kime

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I'll signup , think I'm at 10 phallas right now. Central time

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    facetious wrote:
    kime wrote:

See, this is my philosophy too. I want to goof around and enjoy it, not be super stressed out trying to win. I think I take it a bit too far though. :P

The problem with joking around in the thread is you'll often be viewed as a distraction and someone who is trying to remain active without really adding anything. This was especially the case in the days when post counts were visible, I'm not sure it will be viewed quite the same way now with post counts not being visible. But there still is the magic box and other forms of keeping track.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    It all depends on your personality a bit.

Me, I like to make nothing posts making jokes etc. So would you find it damning either way?

On the other hand, if MrB decided to make one of my nothing posts and it was only a vote post and that for a day, I may be a bit suspicious.

• Options
    other forms of keeping track being looking at someone's profile and stalking their post history and then putting it into a spreadsheet

not that i

have been doing that in the other phalla ha HA that would be crazy

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Rend wrote:
    Rend deals are most definitely not in the lesson plan. (PACIFIC)

Save these for the faction game newbie mini clearly :P

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    REG Rysk wrote:
    It all depends on your personality a bit.

Me, I like to make nothing posts making jokes etc. So would you find it damning either way?

It would depend on the context and how often you did it.

edit:
    TBH kime is the only one that kinda strikes me as falling into the "joker" category. Most others who just make one or two passing comments just seem like bored villagers and not particularly talkative.

So yeah I'd agree that if you develop it into your play-style and it remains consistent.

Egos on
  • Options
    Yeah, the kime post that doesn't look like his norm is utterly terrifying.

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    herp derp (PST)

• Options
    Zandracon never speaks to his mentee

And that is the lesson

• Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    I'm waiting to see Facetious as mafia.

Going to be much harder to maintain that posting style. Can't change it now, everyone expects it!

Not today.
  • Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    I do so enjoy signing up last. Anyway, how could I say no to a shot at fabulous prizes?

2 games, PST.

• Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    other forms of keeping track being looking at someone's profile and stalking their post history and then putting it into a spreadsheet

not that i

have been doing that in the other phalla ha HA that would be crazy

That sounds like a lot of work, but then again, so was the browser / spreadsheet combo app that I wrote way back when. I wonder if I still have it around somewhere.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !signup

I've played 3 games.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Okay, that's the minimum sign ups I was looking for. Signups will close at ~8 PM PDT tonight, in about 4 hours. The first day will start tonightNewbies can still sign up, or reserve. And while 16 mentors is workable, any more vets that would like to mentor, or do commentary, would be very much appreciated

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can solve your mentor shortage.

Make me the mafia mentor. :^:

Fuck yes, I just typed the thumbsup code out of nostalgia and it actually works now. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Okay, that's the minimum sign ups I was looking for. Signups will close at ~8 PM PDT tonight, in about 4 hours. The first day will start tonightNewbies can still sign up, or reserve. And while 16 mentors is workable, any more vets that would like to mentor, or do commentary, would be very much appreciated

I am also available for shoutcasting.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote:
    I can solve your mentor shortage.

Make me the mafia mentor. :^:

Fuck yes, I just typed the thumbsup code out of nostalgia and it actually works now. :^:

You reminded me that I meant to write and post this before the game started, just in case Spoit makes mentor-mentee assignments public. Just some ramblings from Rawkking Badguy on how he does things, should be helpful for all players. Don't think we've had someone publicly give the mafia advice in a newbie mini before, it'll impact the metagame but as far as I'm concerned it'll impact the metagame for the better.
    Advice for Non-Village Roles. Gotta stress this is general advice as non-village roles, especially mafia and serial killers, require flexibility. Do not feel like you have to follow any of these to the letter or even at all of you want, experiment, see what works best for you, and have fun.

Mafia

- Dance to the beating of the villagers’ drums

Be a part of the mob, be careful if you choose to stick out from the norm. If the village are going after certain types of players (examples: borderline inactive players, vocal players, players doing nothing but silly posts, whatever) try not to be that kind of player.

- Don’t be the most <adjective>

Sorta overlaps with the above. People will suspect you for almost any reason, including many terrible reasons. You will probably find yourself being bandwagoned as mafia and be upset that the reason to vote you out was a complete asspull on the village’s part at least once in your phalla career. Unless you’re well known for exhibiting some sort of behavior it’s for the best if your behavior as mafia isn’t that notable.

- Don’t turn off your mafiadar

Be on the lookout for deviations in player behavior even as mafia, you can identify serial killers, neutrals, and specials this way. You probably shouldn’t contact suspected neutrals as you can often be wrong.

- Be natural

Be careful of doing anything that seems forced, or changing your behavior in sudden fashions. Examples include pretending to not care about the game (playing borderline inactive) and suddenly becoming argumentative when the mafia are about to win or lose or awkwardly voting for a target you would think was a terrible choice as a villager. That isn’t to say you shouldn’t become vocal to prevent a loss or guarantee a victory or vote for a target you would oppose, but try to make it seem more natural: perhaps gradually becoming more active as the game seems to be drawing to an end or frankly expressing your misgivings with the vote, letting yourself be persuaded by the others to vote for the bad target.

- Avoid Mafia Tourettes

This term originated in an earlier phalla to reference players mentioning a specific game mechanic (the ability to make anonymous attacks) that was not yet known by the village at large. In general it just means revealing that you have some insider knowledge, and hence probably the mafia, in a game. Mafia Tourettes can be insidious, something commonly known by the mafia can be adopted as common knowledge when the village really has no clue, and that ease of speaking on the proboards can leak out into the public thread and cause you trouble. Even implicitly assuming something is true without mentioning it can be seen as odd to villagers looking at your reasoning if you are trying to appear “helpful” in solving something. Member knowledge also comes into this as sometimes players being bandwagoned that you know is innocent can seem more innocent in your eyes than the village’s.

- Everything you say can and will be used against your team if and when you die
    Active villagers are going to go over every word of your posts when you die, so plan accordingly. Maybe defend an innocent when none of your teammates are in danger, cast doubts onto the innocence of a fellow Mafioso, and otherwise making it difficult for your earlier testimony to be used against your team.

Villager Caveat: The vote is the most important mafia testimony.

Mafia can say anything they want about anyone to appear innocent, frame innocents, or throw off people looking for their teammates, but what they can’t manipulate nearly as easily is the vote. Mafia will almost infallibly be at least a bit cautious of piling onto a bandwagon against a teammate, often stalling until they decide the teammate’s loss is inevitable. They can still mislead you with votes, especially when none of their teammate’s lives are in danger or when they do a throwaway vote on a player with few or no other votes against them, but pay close attention to how people vote when their vote actually matters.

Serial Killer

- Balance suspicion of yourself by the village and mafia, and balance their progress in winning the game.

You ideally want to be suspected by the village enough to seem like a bad target for the mafia, but not enough to be hit by the vote or a village vigilante. Yes, that’s just as difficult as it sounds. Also target your kills to try to ensure that neither side is winning too much: even if both teams suspect you are the serial killer they may spare you to focus on the other team, something that will not happen if one team is winning enough to feel comfortable removing your threat.

- Read the players like you’ve never read before

In order to keep the game balanced as much as possible you really want a good read on the goings-on of the game while still remaining an outsider. Trying to peg members of masoned/networked players is a good strategy to both keep the balance of powers between the teams even and eliminating village and mafia specials that may be inclined to use their powers against you: a vanillager is a lot less of a threat to you than a seer or a vigilante.

- Avoid kill overlap, keep the kill count high.

You’ll also want to think about who the village and mafia are targeting or likely to target with kills and avoid those players. While you want to identify and kill specials of any kind, if a player is too obviously networked or mafia you’ll be better off leaving the village or mafia to do the job for you. If a survival neutral is dumb enough to reveal while you are still around, you may consider killing them as a safe target whose only real goal is to make sure you don’t win… but then again maybe not if they will suspect that the survival neutral is the serial killer.

- Consider falsely revealing

A SK revealing as a survival neutral will be rather suspicious if there is obviously a SK in the game, but if you pull it off you’re likely to have your life expectancy dramatically increase. Consider other roles to claim as well (a bounty hunter role might work), but be careful.

Survival Neutral

- Consider revealing

A survival neutral reveal has a pretty good shot at working. Be careful if there is a SK in the game, as you risk the chance of the SK killing you or the mob deciding that you are actually the SK. There may also be a role that has to kill you as a sole victory condition, but this is much less likely.

- Appear impartial

Don’t openly help one side or the other, especially if you reveal. You want to be believed to be a non-threat to either side, and as survival neutrals often don’t have any abilities they often are.

- If you can do so discretely, ensure the game ends as fast as possible.

If a side is winning, help it win. Each extra day that the game goes on is another chance to end up dead. Be very careful about doing this if you revealed, however.

Bounty Hunter (Neutral that needs to kill another specific role)

- Know your target

Try to figure out how the player(s) with the role(s) you have to kill will act. Are you part of one masoned team against another masoned team in the middle of a larger village vs. mafia struggle? They’re probably going to be acting just like your team will be acting. Are they a lone survival neutral? They’ll be keeping a low profile, and not trying to seem like they are on anyone’s side.

I am hardly the only phalla vet around, if anyone has anything to add please do :^:

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    To add to the mafia section:

Control the game. Cut down the network wherever possible. Kill any villager that is known or suspected of being special, in the network or unusually helpful. In almost all of the games I won as mafia the mafia was actively controlling the game as much as possible. For a good example, see the current SCIENCE! mini - mafia is killing off network heads and revealed specials at an impressive rate.