As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Facebook is for Muggles

roosterfeetroosterfeet Registered User new member
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I check facebook about once a month. It's all just a weird stream of consciousness about the daily lives of people I haven't seen since highschool, the doings of relatives I don't go out of my way to speak to and the Bible one verse at a time in random order. I don't get the appeal of this. Nor do I get the appeal of using a computer to socialize outside of the context of a game. I'm starting to think that social media is not meant for us. Never seeing posts from anyone I play WoW with might bear this out. Is it just me, does anyone here really get a lot out of social media, or is facebook for muggles?

roosterfeet on

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    What? What are muggles, in this context? Are you... are you using 'muggles' to mean 'normies', like non-nerds?

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So you're wondering if Facebook is for people who cannot use magic?

I don't really see the connection. Unless the internet is magic. And if so, then really only old people and quakers are internet muggles.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Well yeah, wizards stick to owls.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    You could just not read peoples status updates or filter out the dumb ones. Facebook is to keep you connected to people you normally never talk to. I can't imagine people didn't know what their HS best friends had for dinner in the past.

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    you guys aren't wizards? o_O

what are you doing on a wizarding forum

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Technically, I prefer the term "necromancer," but wizard will do.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    I soured on wizards after my best girl ran off with one. She turned out to be a whorelock.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    I love when people complain about friending people they dislike and then reading about their boring lives.

There are so many things to hate about facebook or social networking, but you pick the thing that is entirely your fault and within your power to change.

• SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Facebook serves a pair of purposes for me: 1) provides a cheap group calender that people will actually use. 2) lets me keep in touch with people who aren't nearby.

If someone doesn't fit one or the other of those categories, there's no need for me to have them show up when I go to facebook. That means they either don't get friended or, if that's not an option for reasons that boil down to politics, they get filtered so I don't ever need to see something from them. Google+ does a better job of managing that sort of thing, but it still has some teething problems to get through. Either way, if you have a service that is getting filled with crap, the solution is to filter the crap, not blame the service or the users in general (note: blaming the people who just spam crap is totally ok, but probably too much effort).

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:

I don't really see the connection. Unless the internet is magic. And if so, then really only old people and quakers are internet muggles.

Quakers are neither Amish nor Luddites and have no prohibitions against technology. They don't wear hats with buckles either.

I've used facebook to get in touch with old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Without it, I that would not have been too possible. The whole microblogging aspect of it really doesn't mean much to me, as 99% of the crap folks post is... well... pretty much crap.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    facebook is great for organizing parties. And for contacting some people you don't see often. Most of the bible tracts I see are from people that are mostly on there through obligation. I get more good music, youtube videos, cracked articles, and news than from most elsewhere.

Maybe your friends just suck. That sure would make facebook terrible.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    redx wrote:
    Lucascraft wrote:

Quakers are neither Amish nor Luddites and have no prohibitions against technology. They don't wear hats with buckles either.

I've used facebook to get in touch with old friends I hadn't seen in a while. Without it, I that would not have been too possible. The whole microblogging aspect of it really doesn't mean much to me, as 99% of the crap folks post is... well... pretty much crap.

richard-nixon-9-15-10.jpg

That guy was a Quaker.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "I'm starting to think that social media is not meant for us."

Who is 'us?'

"Us" = "people who don't like social media?"

Well, then, yes, that is tautologically true. Social media is not meant for people who don't like social media.

Or maybe you just need to choose your Facebook friends more carefully. I have a very simple system. In fact, it's so simple it took me all of 120 seconds in Lucidchart to make this:

facebookc.gif

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    How do I lime Feral's image?

If you want to stay friends with someone on Facebook, but don't want their [undesirable content here] to show up in your feed, just remove them from your feed with the little X to the right.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Feral, there is not enough guilt and worry in that diagram.

• Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I check facebook about once a month. It's all just a weird stream of consciousness about the daily lives of people I haven't seen since highschool, the doings of relatives I don't go out of my way to speak to and the Bible one verse at a time in random order. I don't get the appeal of this. Nor do I get the appeal of using a computer to socialize outside of the context of a game. I'm starting to think that social media is not meant for us. Never seeing posts from anyone I play WoW with might bear this out. Is it just me, does anyone here really get a lot out of social media, or is facebook for muggles?

Get better friends.

sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Also needs a "is there a non-zero chance I might want to get naked with this person" caveat for weighting the "would I like to know this person" side.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    I got a friend request from a girl (supposedly) I don't know in Florida. Profile pic involves bikini.

Friend Y/N?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote:
    I got a friend request from a girl (supposedly) I don't know in Florida. Profile pic involves bikini.

Friend Y/N?

Nope, too obvious, consult Admiral Ackbar.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote:

Also needs a "is there a non-zero chance I might want to get naked with this person" caveat for weighting the "would I like to know this person" side.

Ohh... what with it being feral I kinda assumed he'd meant 'know' in the biblical, carnal knowledge, sense.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Forar wrote:
    JebusUD wrote:

Friend Y/N?

Nope, too obvious, consult Admiral Ackbar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbOjS0Ah7_o

No, it can't be a spam bot. That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
    I searched my feelings, I know it to be true.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You can also always accept their friend request, immediately block their posts from your newsfeed and block them from viewing your newsfeed or interacting with your wall. That way you still "accepted" but don't have to be in any way more aware of their existence.

What is this I don't even.
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My uses for Facebook generally include posting funny shit I find on stumble for everyone I know to see so they think I'm funny by proxy.

Example:
    1311291000373.jpg

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Us wizards stick to G+ now.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Facebook is primary means of communication with some friends who are busy. Make a post, send a message, whatever. They can check and respond on their time.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    1311291900988.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Shouldn't that be "Im a wizrd" ?

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    I have an account on facebook. I don't really like facebook.

I never had an account until I arrived at my new university and the assumption was that I had one. Official announcements go out over facebook. No real way to know about things otherwise.

Now I'm no longer at the school, will be getting a job where a certain amount of public sensitivity is required, and am about ready to shut 'er down. The friends I honestly care to interact with, I do outside of facebook already.

I guess the biggest difference between older, or at least old-fashioned folk like me, and younger or more forward-looking people is the attitude toward friends and acquaintances. I'm used to falling in and out of contact with people. I'm not afraid to grow apart. It just happens to me and I accept it and keep a close circle of friends that has hardly changed in over 10 years.

Now, with social networking, that sort of thing doesn't necessarily need to happen. Time marches forward, I guess. It's not for me, I'm over it. And yes, if you ultimately hate everybody spouting dumb crap on facebook, then don't have them on your facebook. It's that simple.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    Us wizards stick to G+ now.
    We grammar nazis hang out on Orkut.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

Yeah, and there is no provision for family members.

Your mom recommends you befriend some weird cousin you haven't seen for 15 years when you were 10 years old and showing up because your parents dragged you across country that one time for the horribly attempt at the family reunion that pretty much reaffirmed why my family never does reunions any more.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    mrflippy wrote:

Both of these things are deliberate.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Your mom recommends you befriend some weird cousin you haven't seen for 15 years when you were 10 years old and showing up because your parents dragged you across country that one time for the horribly attempt at the family reunion that pretty much reaffirmed why my family never does reunions any more.
    You know what the best part about those recommendations is? They never get checked up on. My cousin that I haven't talked to in 5 year's wife? Not getting friended. As far as my mother knows, sure I have. Social networking sites all seem to breed these sorts of white lies (or this one's cousin: "sure I'll friend you!" followed by friending and immediately black holing the person), which seems more or less how people operate anyway.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I liked facebook more in its earlier days when the interface was less convoluted, and it didn't seem to be constantly begging for my attention and desperately trying to find out who more of my social connections are. Now, it's entirely too pushy, intrusive, and about the only thing I use it for is the occasional bit of event planning because it is kinda handy for that.

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ^^^ I agree, I liked Facebook before it was cool.
    Organichu wrote:
    What? What are muggles, in this context? Are you... are you using 'muggles' to mean 'normies', like non-nerds?

People with social lives and friends who don't find it weird that people they once went to high school with don't harbor resentment or feelings of ill will and thus would like to keep you as an acquaintance.

The Muffin Man on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    mrflippy wrote:

Both of these things are deliberate.
    I actually like Google+ for that. I have a "family" circle, and what is essentially a "black hole" circle.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote:

People with social lives and friends who don't find it weird that people they once went to high school with don't harbor resentment or feelings of ill will and thus would like to keep you as an acquaintance.

Seriously.

Like, I guess I am a muggle? I don't know what all this 'we' business is.

• Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    ^^^ I agree, I liked Facebook before it was cool.
    Organichu wrote:

It's nice to be able to find out what happened to that guy you were friends with back in high school. I don't really see the harm in making it easier for people to keep in touch with people from their past.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I really wish I understood better how Facebook determines what updates you see in your news feed.

• Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I guess the biggest difference between older, or at least old-fashioned folk like me, and younger or more forward-looking people is the attitude toward friends and acquaintances. I'm used to falling in and out of contact with people. I'm not afraid to grow apart. It just happens to me and I accept it and keep a close circle of friends that has hardly changed in over 10 years.[/quote]

See, I don't get this. Yeah, I know and accept that people fall in and out of touch. I grew up pre-internet, so I'm aware of how things used to be. Technology has advanced though. You can now keep in easy, non-committal touch with your friends. The old way wasn't better. It was just the limitations of reality and technology.

sig_megas_armed.jpg