As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Louie] I'll wait for you

stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I tried to find the perfect clip or promo to show for Louie, but instead, I realized that the opening titles encapsulates the show better than any one clip can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHcqM6dpoU&feature=related

Louie is the now Emmy nominated flagship for FX's Summer Comedy block. A semi-autobiographical show about the life of comedian Louis CK, Louie has deftly subverted genre norms, television tropes and every other academic examination of the medium to create what I can only describe as the most original and inventive show since the original The Office.

Where Louie shines is in its level of absurd reality, lacking any kind of distinctive music cues or sound effects stings, leaving the viewer completely out to sea in terms of expected emotional reaction. Never quite sure whether you're supposed to be laughing with the show, laughing at the show, or just flat out crying, Louie brings the awkwardness of Larry David's best work, turns down the zaniness, and adds a bit of the cynical sadness that made Gervais and Merchant such superstars.

The Onion AV club has really in depth reviews of every episode thus far, which can be found here:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/louie,116/

A great article in Time about CK and the show:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2078110,00.html

Here is a deleted scene from the Season 1 DVD posted by Louis CK (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzbzQdeUfbs

And here is a great promo for season 2 posted on his youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRViQ7rRk8&feature=related

Hulu currently has the last 2 episodes of season 1 and the first episode of season 2 streaming. Though each episode is independent, there is a subtle arc that occurs throughout the show, so I'd recommend watching it all the way through. It used to be streaming on Netflix, but isn't anymore. Sad.

Either way, you can watch Louie Thursdays at 10:30pm on FX, and many nights (I'll edit once I can find this info, or PM me if you can) during FX's "Fully Baked" in rerun.

stevemarks44 on

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    life%20with%20louie.jpg

I thought this was gonna be about Life with Louie. I am disappoint.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    This show is incredibly funny, but can be very bizarre as well. It definitely defies what you think of when you watch a comedy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Best show on TV right now, in any category.

Last week's was definately one of the more esoteric, but I really dig the format of show that splits the time between two vignettes instead of one long sustained narrative. The first part with the bored kid was probably a little under-written, but considering C.K. writes every episode himself, I can understand a little dearth in the depth. It still had a nice message: "Kid, you aren't allowed to be bored. You're five. You've seen nothing of the world, which is huge and vast and wonderful, and you've explored nothing of your own mind, which is inwardly infinite. Shut up."

The second part was much better, and I really liked the payoff, in no small part due to how many times my parents and grandparents said the same shit to me about weird elderly relatives, a la, "You should really talk to them because they're full of a lifetime of wisdom and came from a very different world than you do now."

Turns out, old people are often just ignorant, stubborn, and racist.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Huh, didn't even know he had his own show. Not exactly the kind of stuff that gets imported on this side of the pond.

• Options
    I turned on FX last night a lo and behold the episode where young Louie is in school was on.

I mean, the entire first act of that episode with the brutal description of the scourging of Christ was so amazing. Really hilariously terrifying but also just an amazing commentary on unfair religious influence on kids.

Anyways, this season has been a total homerun.

I also thought it was genius to occupy the majority of the previous episode with Joan Rivers. Of all the comedians Louis CK could've chosen that would've been more "hip", his selection of Rivers says so much. Obviously the payoff was amazing, but letting her monologue for the majority of the episode was hilarious and fascinating.

I get more and more excited for every ep. So far the house buying has been my favorite of the season.

• Options
    Wo-man, WOMAN! Woman. That episode was absolutely amazing, his brother's reactions were priceless.

I watched episode 2 of the new season with my parents, all I have to say was
    IT WAS SUPER AWKWARD. When the mom from the PTA meeting started crying during the spanking, I was so uncomfortable. When I watched it a second time at my apartment, I thought it was super funny, but not in the company of parents. No sir.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smaug6 wrote:
    Wo-man, WOMAN! Woman. That episode was absolutely amazing, his brother's reactions were priceless.

I watched episode 2 of the new season with my parents, all I have to say was
    IT WAS SUPER AWKWARD. When the mom from the PTA meeting started crying during the spanking, I was so uncomfortable. When I watched it a second time at my apartment, I thought it was super funny, but not in the company of parents. No sir.

re: your spoiler.

I was sitting alone in my living room at 1am watching it. Was laughing so hard and just started saying "what?! what?! what?!" really loudly.

It was not funny. It was terrible and bizarre. But I was laughing so hard.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Louie rocking out to The Who while his daughters cringe at him for three and a half minutes is one of my favorite television moments ever.

• Options
    Another thing they seem to be doing this season is the random insertion of insane and/or inexplicable moments.

The children at the gas station in this past ep.

The hobo-switch during the house buying one.

Every episode seems to have some totally insane nonsense that ends with Louie just staring.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I love the neighbors in season 2 episode one
    you are not going to let your sister die because you are awkward with strangers

interesting how there's almost no continuity between the episodes. A few characters are featured here and there, but louie's mom for instance is wildly different every time she's shown.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Best show on TV right now, in any category.

Last week's was definately one of the more esoteric, but I really dig the format of show that splits the time between two vignettes instead of one long sustained narrative. The first part with the bored kid was probably a little under-written, but considering C.K. writes every episode himself, I can understand a little dearth in the depth. It still had a nice message: "Kid, you aren't allowed to be bored. You're five. You've seen nothing of the world, which is huge and vast and wonderful, and you've explored nothing of your own mind, which is inwardly infinite. Shut up."

The second part was much better, and I really liked the payoff, in no small part due to how many times my parents and grandparents said the same shit to me about weird elderly relatives, a la, "You should really talk to them because they're full of a lifetime of wisdom and came from a very different world than you do now."

Turns out, old people are often just ignorant, stubborn, and racist.

Did you see the closing clip with the actress who played the old relative? She was actually pretty urbane and witty.

• Options
    Did you see the closing clip with the actress who played the old relative? She was actually pretty urbane and witty.

I love that the old woman who was cast solely based on her age was ashamed to tell people how old she actually was.

Women. I tell ya, boys . . . .

• Options
    I love the neighbors in season 2 episode one
    you are not going to let your sister die because you are awkward with strangers

interesting how there's almost no continuity between the episodes. A few characters are featured here and there, but louie's mom for instance is wildly different every time she's shown.

One thing that I think is interesting is one time someone asked Louis CK why there is only a frail semblance of a "supporting cast" in the show.

I don't have his response word for word on hand but it boiled down to him saying that in an attempt to keep the show realistic, he largely dismissed a supporting cast. There are people you see semi-often, like the single mom he's friends with, but by and large people rotate in and out of your lives pretty regularly. He wanted to keep that feel in the show. Outside of his family the people he interacts with are friends or acquaintances. He doesn't feel the need to develop those characters further because the show is about him.

Also the credits sequence with the woman was hilarious.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    You have no idea how many people I've met that use that name for Brazil Nuts.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Louie rocking out to The Who while his daughters cringe at him for three and a half minutes is one of my favorite television moments ever.

I loved how the actress playing Louie's youngest daughter went back and forth from finding his rocking out hilarious to finding it mortifying.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'm not like, a standup comedy fan at all. I usually loathe how forced I feel to laugh.

But god damn, Louis CK makes me laugh. He just seems like a genuinely real person, I feel like I and everyone can think of someone that reminds us of him. The show reflects it really well, it totally feels like an extension of him. I just wish FX wasn't such a bunch of dickwheels with streaming.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    This show really is great. I especially enjoy that he records new stand-up segments for each show. I've listened to most of his stuff already, so the only parts of shows that I could possibly not love are still lovable.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    What has always been crazy to me is that if you listen to standup radio shows and podcasts and docs from five years ago, or even earlier...

EVERY standup comedian puts Louis CK in their top 3 best. Hes crossed the gap of being a "comedians comedian" and into "celebrity comedian" in such an amazing way.

• Options
    The one thing I didn't like about Louie (the show) was the 'I'm just a broke guy' bit in his 'buy a house' episode. Like, he's divorced, I'm sure that fucks his finances, it's been a while since his HBO and Showtime specials... but considering how often he's played on the 'come on, I'm a comedian- I don't actually work for a living' bit, which rings funnily true (like trading life stories with the father of the jock bully from S1), the 'Louie, you are a financial pit' thing his accountant gave him just made me roll my eyes.

• Options
    NamNam Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Got a chance to see a few episodes (not sure what happened to 'Lucky Louie' which was very funny but this format works just as well). It's excellent, I like it even better than curb your enthusiasm. He makes some really relatable, funny and honest observations about people and about reality.

The episode with the bum who got hit by the truck and whose head pops off? Oh man. Hahaha.

Nam on
  • Options
    Nam wrote:
    The episode with the bum who got hit by the truck and whose head pops off? Oh man. Hahaha.

That was so surreal. And I've been in that same situation before, where a bum just suddenly tried to attack me.

The people in the background were hilarious.

Lady: "Oh, my god! Quick, someone go get some help!"
    Man: "Help for what? His head came off!"

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Organichu wrote:
    The one thing I didn't like about Louie (the show) was the 'I'm just a broke guy' bit in his 'buy a house' episode. Like, he's divorced, I'm sure that fucks his finances, it's been a while since his HBO and Showtime specials... but considering how often he's played on the 'come on, I'm a comedian- I don't actually work for a living' bit, which rings funnily true (like trading life stories with the father of the jock bully from S1), the 'Louie, you are a financial pit' thing his accountant gave him just made me roll my eyes.

Louie in the show doesn't have the same cash that Louis CK has. Don't get that confused. Louie is a struggling comic. Louis CK is a successful comic.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Organichu wrote:

Louie in the show doesn't have the same cash that Louis CK has. Don't get that confused. Louie is a struggling comic. Louis CK is a successful comic.

His accountant was awesome. You would default on your first mortgage payment.

How much could I buy a house for?

Right now? 7000 dollars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wasn't really struck by that, Justin. There weren't many other ways at all that impressed upon me this is supposed to be some incredibly alternate life.

• Options
    There are plenty of ways that Louie's life varies from Louis CK's.

For example, Louis CK has never seen a homeless man's head come off when it got hit by a truck. Louie has.

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    I never felt like I was supposed to feel sorry for him and his financial situation. I never even thought it was supposed to be that he was poor. We are talking about NYC.
    I think it is just a more realistic portrayal of buying a home and living in the city.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Well, right, it descends- precipitously, at times- into the absurd. That comes across strongly with the bum switching, the hobo-attack-truck-accident, and I imagine his great aunt dying in front of him. But viscerally a lot of the stuff that comes across in his stand up and interviews is consistent with his television identity. The guy can take as many liberties as he likes; I'm just saying, when it's with something commonplace and not fantastical and absurdist (like finances), it feels stilted to me.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    I wasn't really struck by that, Justin. There weren't many other ways at all that impressed upon me this is supposed to be some incredibly alternate life.

I doubt real life louie could afford that house

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Real life Louie could make mortgage on that house with one gig. He commands 50 bucks a ticket these days and plays in large theaters.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Organichu wrote:

I doubt real life louie could afford that house

I mean, sure, 17m dollars is a prodigious amount even for pop singers and movie stars, let alone successful comedians. I just mean the '7k to my name' thing. I don't mean to be pedantic about it; it's just immersion breaking for me. Something I've always liked about Louis CK (and shared with guys like Ben Folds, in the music industry) is they're frank about how blessed they are to be paid essentially $infinite and not be pumping gas or waiting tables.

Not a big deal, I guess. Just kind of a little thrust I didn't like.

• Options
    and then he's got two kids to think about, child support, retirement, taxes, and he has to guarantee he's doing that kind of work until he dies. and I don't think he gets 80,000 dollars to do a show.

and either way the show is way funnier if he's moderately successful. the woman he went on a date with said 'he could be something someday.' he's a millionaire than the show doesn't make any sense.

• Options
    My buddy and I were talking about it last night and we're pretty sure that the show Louie is most likely about the life of Louis CK circa 2005 or 2006.

He's definitely playing himself but he's playing himself before he got super famous.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I swear there was an episode where he's chaperoning for his daughters' field trip and, after telling the bus driver to take the freeway as a shortcut, having the bus not clear an overpass resulting in flat tires, then giving the bus driver shit because he's not doing anything (who ends up quitting and walking home because he lives around the corner and he thinks Louis is a terrible person), he just says 'fuck it' and has a half dozen limos show up to take the kids the rest of the way.

I assumed he was just playing his usual, now rich, self on the show. Am I mistaken?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's the first segment in the pilot. Louie doesn't call for the limos. I forget who does.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    That's the first segment in the pilot. Louie doesn't call for the limos. I forget who does.

Pretty sure it was Louie.

This show is really remarkable. I don't know that I've seen a TV show that comes at actual human situations any more directly or nakedly.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I liked when his date/girl he knows gets so uncomfortable she just runs to the helicopter they were both supposed to board for a tour, without saying a word, and it just flies off. And he just stares.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I swear there was an episode where he's chaperoning for his daughters' field trip and, after telling the bus driver to take the freeway as a shortcut, having the bus not clear an overpass resulting in flat tires, then giving the bus driver shit because he's not doing anything (who ends up quitting and walking home because he lives around the corner and he thinks Louis is a terrible person), he just says 'fuck it' and has a half dozen limos show up to take the kids the rest of the way.

I assumed he was just playing his usual, now rich, self on the show. Am I mistaken?

he was also going out with a woman, and the date was so bad she hailed a helicopter for a quick escape. reality isn't consistent in this show, at all.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    This show (even by Louie's own admission) operates on near zero continuity. Things are going to change (his financial situation, his mother's personality, the number/sex of siblings) based on whatever the hell Louie wants to do with any particular episode.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I do love how he gets damn near every NY comedian do play themselves

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I really didn't like his first show (on hbo I think? I can't even remember) so I never gave this a shot.

seems obviously worth my time though

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch