As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

1111213141517»

• mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Detharin wrote: »
    Is there any use for gold in this game? My bishop does most of the appraising.The shops do not seem to ever get anything new, and I am debating just emptying my coffers leveling my main guy through tithing. Is that a bad idea?

Just tithing and some trophies
    1 million gold iirc

Seems that the US PSN has new DLC for Wizardy:
    Wizardry: Labyrinth Of Lost Souls – Limit Free Levels ($0.99)
    Allows your characters to level-up higher than is otherwise possible.
    File size 100 KB

Seems a bit pointless unless this was released in preparation for the Red Nun DLC. Atleast it's super cheap.

mirarant on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I got stonewalled at the difficulty of Shiin B8F and thus have not returned to this game for a long time.

Ehhh...

Zephyr_Fate on
  • mirarantmirarant Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I got stonewalled at the difficulty of Shiin B8F and thus have not returned to this game for a long time.

Ehhh...

It gets nasty around there, better have either a Lord with tons of dodge or a Bishop for Magic Wall. Also loads of hp and good weapons, easy right?

mirarant on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mirarant wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    Is there any use for gold in this game? My bishop does most of the appraising.The shops do not seem to ever get anything new, and I am debating just emptying my coffers leveling my main guy through tithing. Is that a bad idea?

Just tithing and some trophies
    1 million gold iirc

Seems that the US PSN has new DLC for Wizardy:
    Wizardry: Labyrinth Of Lost Souls – Limit Free Levels ($0.99)
    Allows your characters to level-up higher than is otherwise possible.
    File size 100 KB

Seems a bit pointless unless this was released in preparation for the Red Nun DLC. Atleast it's super cheap.

I didn't see this mentioned on the Japanese wikis, but yeah, Shadow of the Crimson Nun upped the level limits quite a bit.

They might have released this to get people to shadup about DLC -- they have finally came out and confirmed on their forums that yes, they are going to release all the DLC available in Japan for this game, but people keep asking.

Personally, I'm hoping this will be successful enough to warrant the other Wizardry PSN game to be released (the newer one) -- the DLC in that one is just absurd.

KiTA on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    The new dungeon DLC is available now. $8.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The addition is... special.

wdlc.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, this is coming out next Friday in Japan.

5IJAW.jpg

It's a port of this PS3 game.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    Oh man, I was trolling around the JP PSN store and found a demo for the sequel (not expansion) to Labyrinth of Lost Souls. Using my pre-existing knowledge of the US release, I was able to navigate it pretty well and man, I am SO excited for the second game already.

12 classes, a new spell category, some much needed toning down of the anime-hell artwork, an outdoor dungeon. Even the home town seems more interesting, with dilapidated ruins instead of a generic castle town. I hope so much that it makes it over, and soon.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have a good feeling it will. This is an untapped market on the PSN.

The localization of the DLC is a good sign, too. (Also, the sequel reminds me a LOT of the classic Tale of the Forsaken Land.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Not sure how I'd access the DLC from last week. I go to Explore and "Deep Levels" is available, but when I try to select it, it's not highlighted and doesn't let me in. I have only beat the game with 1 of the 10 characters, all of the quests, etc etc. Do I need a level 50 character as a minimum requirement or am I missing out on talking to someone?

EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out. Talk to Buzz at the Guild. Durr. Time to go farm some new loots!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    It's out now in the US on iOS, in case anyone was wondering. I just downloaded the trial but haven't played it yet.

I took the liberty of recording the demo of the sequel in action, if you want a glimpse of the pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WcBF8pSJew

Annotated somewhat. No automap!? Or not available in the demo. One of the two.

wVEsyIc.png
  • jwhyrockjwhyrock n00b Spokane, WA USARegistered User new member
    I'm new to the party. Can someone share a sure fire way to get 30+ bonus points for multiple character creation? Someone mentioned being able to get 40 points consistently but I'm not having any luck with that method. Thx! =)

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    jwhyrock wrote: »
    I'm new to the party. Can someone share a sure fire way to get 30+ bonus points for multiple character creation? Someone mentioned being able to get 40 points consistently but I'm not having any luck with that method. Thx! =)

It's random. Just keep re-rolling. There's no other way.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I downloaded the demo a month ago, re-rolled for every party member for a mind-numbingly boring period of 2 hours and then got burned out.

I'll play through it.. some day.

EVOL on
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Its not random. I posted a method on how to get 40s super quickly. I havent played this in a year, maybe it was patched/fixed, IDK. Otherwise use that method, because it definitely works.

edited April 2012
    I'm happy with high 10s/20s myself. And to my knowledge, it's never been patched.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just got this game, and I don't think I'm playing it right. I've got a party of six between 6 and 7...It seems like I can only attack with my front row unless I use magic. I don't...see any bows in the shop list. And the way things are set up with classes I'm terrified I'll make some kind of mistake and completely fuck over my party.

And for some reason my mage keeps only getting one god damn hit point per level. Level 7 and 17 health. WTF.

Current party composition is 3 fighters, 1 mage, and two priests. I thought about getting a thief in there. I have no idea what any of the other classes are about.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    For your first run through, I would consider abusing the stat re-rolling on making new characters until you get a nice spread of points (25-40+) and can make a Lord and a Samurai. Ninja is optional. You also want a Bishop, but making one doesn't require as large of an investment in points. Just raise INT and PIE to 14 a piece, I think...

The Lord will learn healing spells at a slower rate than the Priest, and not as many, but it's still handy to have. His biggest benefit comes in being able to take damage for all party members and he's the only one capable of equipping the best armors in the game.

The Samurai learns mage spells, which helps early on, but it's best ability is learn around Level 10, and is a hit-all skill in the front row. Costs no MP, and does about 25% less damage than her normal attacks, but it's seriously good. Samurai's are also the only class capable of wielding some of the best swords in the game.

The Bishop learns ALL SPELLS, but at a slower rate than the Priest and Mage. It's best utility comes in the form of Magic Wall, which protects the entire party from all damage and some status effects. It breaks easily, but it's great for an initial opening strike from tough enemies, and always goes first.

I can't believe how little information there is on this game anywhere.

What's going on with my characters? They're getting like...1HP per level. My samurai and my mage and even my fighter, and the samurai and fighter have 17 vit each. Is it based on race? Sex? Or is it just that random? Because my bishop gets like 20-30hp per level.

And also, none of my melee fighters are getting strength! They keep getting fucking piety and luck every level (and 1 HP).

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    When I first started playing this game and began making my party I just assumed 20 was the bonus max. Then I rolled a 21 and was all :D. However I accidently rerolled (I was kind of in the zone) and got 40 and was all :shock: .

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I think it does come down to race and class. Mages will be much more prone to 1HP gains, and Gnomes are the worst for that. There's some tricks described on previous pages in this thread of how to buy levels (once you can afford it) at the Church and then re-classing to drop back down to Lv. 1, but you keep half of your Max HP when you re-class, so you wind up better off than you were, etc.

I haven't played in a while, but I found that you'll even out after a few levels of terrible gains. Like, 4-5 levels of 1HP, and then 3-4 levels in a row of 30+ HP gains.

edited May 2012
    Ah!! I see!

Is it true that no stat can rise higher than the racial base + 10, even through level ups? Because that's what I've heard. The exception being equipment bonuses.

Also, how can I make money? Just selling the items I get and doing quests?

Aaand also where the fuck is this stupid statue of the abyssal. >_<

e: Does darkness have any effect on combat? Like is it beneficial to my survival to have a light up at all times?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    I think it might up the odds of being preempted, but I could be wrong. Having a light also makes the dungeon's details more apparent, if you're into that kind of thing.

Money = selling and killing monsters. Just takes time.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2012
    Yeah...I'm just waiting for the sell prices to start getting juicy. At this point I'm excited just to be picking up maces and longswords (and the occasional sling).

Goodness, I've found two pieces of armor that the dude wants 500,000G to appraise. And my bishop (level 30) can't appraise them! I've tried like 100 times! I sold the dragon kites I picked up (after saving, just to have the shopkeep appraise them and see what they are...), and they're Mythril Vests. They seem really good.

Also found a holy mace. Whee~!

e: And an Odin Sword!

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    I want to play more games like this. What can you guys recommend?

There really isn't anything quite like Wizardry on the PSN (someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure). I'm sure there's a similar dungeon crawler game available at a retail brick-and-mortar store, but I can't think of what.

Legend of Grimrock is a solid entry available on PC through Steam right now. Other games are on handheld: Class of Heroes on PSP and Etrian Odyssey 1, 2, and 3 on the Nintendo DS.

edited May 2012
    There isn't anything like it on the PSN, but there's a bunch on the DS as said.

The Dark Spire is definitely closest to this game, but it's a lot more brutal. Tougher to get into.
    (Funny thing, it doesn't have the 'revival may ash your characters' mechanic... but everything else is even harsher, rule wise, right down to leveling outside the labyrinth.)

Some of the nastiest dungeons I've ever seen.

Oddly enough, it's better at storytelling too. They nail the atmosphere way more than LoLS(not as good as TotFL though).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited May 2012
    Jesus, these vampires are something else. I thought the Hayates were hard-hitting. Does monster damage max at 500 per hit, or is that just the most the game displays for whatever reason in the album bestiary stats?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    And where in heaven's name is this nobleman who supposedly stumbled drunkenly into Shiin's dungeon? Can't find him anywhere!

This is just weapons. Unless I'm missing something?

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    This is just weapons. Unless I'm missing something?

Look at the bottom. Clickable categories.

Ughhhh my "Savior of the Empire" thingy didn't activate when I finished all the scenarios. I am sad.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ooh, this is on iOS? I already bought and beat it on PSN, but this seems to be a perfect game to play on my phone.

gjaustin on