As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Louie] I'll wait for you

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I heard about the show and caught up on the episodes a couple months ago, and I've been watching the new season. Pretty great. It's surprising how well it works given that if you get down to it, it's one of those sitcom-that-is-a-vehicle-for-some-comedian shows. Mind you, plenty of differences, continuity already mentioned as one. Also that he doesn't have random-hollywood-actress as a wife in a stable family which seems to be the staple for all those comedian-vehicle shows.

It helps that it's Louis CK, since he's pretty damned hilarious. I might have to go rewatch that daily show interview he had recently.

Erik
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Ego wrote:
    I heard about the show and caught up on the episodes a couple months ago, and I've been watching the new season. Pretty great. It's surprising how well it works given that if you get down to it, it's one of those sitcom-that-is-a-vehicle-for-some-comedian shows. Mind you, plenty of differences, continuity already mentioned as one. Also that he doesn't have random-hollywood-actress as a wife in a stable family which seems to be the staple for all those comedian-vehicle shows.

I never got the concept of those shows, and they always seemed to fail and fail hard.

"It's the Rodney Carrington show! Starring Rodney Carrington, everyone's favorite loudmouth bigot homophobe redneck! In a show where he plays none of those things."

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I really didn't like his first show (on hbo I think? I can't even remember) so I never gave this a shot.

seems obviously worth my time though

I've only seen a clip of it but overall Louis' a much better actor and the writer seems to be stronger. While I loved the first season of this one, so far the second season has been really, really strong

edited July 2011
    Ego wrote:

I never got the concept of those shows, and they always seemed to fail and fail hard.

"It's the Rodney Carrington show! Starring Rodney Carrington, everyone's favorite loudmouth bigot homophobe redneck! In a show where he plays none of those things."

I guess lots of people must have wanted to take a slice out of what Seinfeld proved was a valid market, but yeah, it sure seems like most of the attempts just crashed and burn horribly. I suppose Ray Romano did well with his show. A remarkable percentage of pilots every year seem to be 'x comedian in a wacky family setting.'

Ego on
    Erik
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    which is notably not what seinfeld was

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Well no, it (Seinfeld) wasn't a typical family setting at all, but it was a comedian sit com vehicle, right? I just mean that other people saw how well it worked and, with stand-up comedians being in a boom in the 90s, tried to go the easy route and tie comedians in with family sit-coms since that's like the lowest common denominator you can aim for it.

Oh, home improvement, that's another successful one.

Erik
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    King of Queens was another one that did well.

But like...the list of failures is amazing.

Most recently Paul Riser's new show which was a mid-season replacement to a bad show and was pulled after 2 episodes.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    King of Queens was another one that did well.

But like...the list of failures is amazing.

Most recently Paul Riser's new show which was a mid-season replacement to a bad show and was pulled after 2 episodes.

I just think people always associated him with Burke from Aliens and his career would never recover.

But seriously, that show was terrible. He was never funny and all the commercials for it were bizarre. Hey everyone, your favorite comedian of all time is finally coming back to do a sitcom, you should all watch it!

In the meantime everyone is like, who the hell is Paul Reiser? He hadn't been on tv in 11 years and I can't remember the last movie he was in aside from Aliens.

steam_sig.png
    Ego wrote:
    Well no, it (Seinfeld) wasn't a typical family setting at all, but it was a comedian sit com vehicle, right? I just mean that other people saw how well it worked and, with stand-up comedians being in a boom in the 90s, tried to go the easy route and tie comedians in with family sit-coms since that's like the lowest common denominator you can aim for it.

Oh, home improvement, that's another successful one.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying they tried to do what seinfeld did but shoved it into a family setting. for the exact reasons you mentioned here.

it replaced a decent show that might have gotten a lot better.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Louis CK's HBO show was so fucking bad. I'm glad he got carte blanche with this new one and isn't forced into making another terrible sitcom. He does way better on his own.

The bits with Ricky Gervais playing his doctor are solid gold. I hope he makes it back onto the show.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    The AV Club has a lot of interesting stuff on his HBO show, he was going for a interesting concept. AN old fashioned honeymooners type sitcom with canned laughs and the 3 camera set up, but everyone just being unhappy and brutal. They seemed to think it was a fascinating idea and had some good moments, but overall the tonal clashes and the less experienced writing made it less enjoyable

also louis ck wrote for pootie tang? which I've never seen

It ain't worth looking for.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    The Cosby Show worked because Bill Cosby's comedy was almost exclusively centered around raising a family, and Cosby himself was college-educated in children's psychology.

Seinfeld's show worked because his comedy was centered around the absurdity of life in New York City.

Louie works because C.K.'s comedy is about the vulgar truths of parenthood and marriage.

King of Queens worked because CBS panders exclusively to middle-brow morons who think being fat is the same thing as a punchline.

And Lucky Louie didn't work because they were trying their level best to not do a normal sitcom while still doing a normal sitcom, and then throwing in some random HBO stuff like a dude with his penis hanging out. It had its moments, though.

stream
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Seriously. I bet in the olden days they even tried to do it with Dick van Dyke and Lucille Ball. Not that we'd ever know, because if they had they'd fail so hard that all evidence of their existence wouldn't survive to this day.

Cervetus on
    edited July 2011
    How do I delete posts?

Cervetus on
    edited July 2011
    Seriously, sorry about this.

Cervetus on
    Cervetus wrote:
    How do I delete posts?

Any modern programming executive leveraging their success with modern comedians' TV shows against the models of TV shows from 60 years ago deserves the sacking they will most assuredly get. But I don't think anyone is actually doing that.

Prog. Exec: "Hey, remember how much everyone loved the Patty Duke show?"
    Studio Head: "No, I wasn't born until 1958."

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The way Louie writes this shit, he could have two halves to the show that directly contradict each other and I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

The AV Club has a lot of interesting stuff on his HBO show, he was going for a interesting concept. AN old fashioned honeymooners type sitcom with canned laughs and the 3 camera set up, but everyone just being unhappy and brutal. They seemed to think it was a fascinating idea and had some good moments, but overall the tonal clashes and the less experienced writing made it less enjoyable

yeah it's hilarious

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    so the sitcom would be like the rodney dangerfield bits of natural born killers?

Any modern programming executive leveraging their success with modern comedians' TV shows against the models of TV shows from 60 years ago deserves the sacking they will most assuredly get. But I don't think anyone is actually doing that.

Prog. Exec: "Hey, remember how much everyone loved the Patty Duke show?"
    Studio Head: "No, I wasn't born until 1958."

I just mean that it's a well that's been continuously been tapped for as long as sitcoms have existed, often with great success.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Lucky Louie was pretty dreadful, as the attempt to parody an already outdated form of TV sitcom wasn't very funny or interesting, and it robbed the writing of any sense of realism.

Pootie Tang is a really hilarious 35 minutes stretched to (barely) feature length. It's worth watching, just when the music video bit starts realize you can go make a sandwich and catch up on your email and not miss anything much.

• stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    In all fairness to comedians/tv comedy on the whole, 99% of comedies are vehicles for a singular comedian with a supporting cast.

Like, there are plenty of ensemble comedies, but the whole "comedian who has a show" thing, success wise, probably has just as good a success/failure ratio as everything else.

There are also no shortage of solid shows. King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Roseanne, Everybody Hates Chris, The Bernie Mac Show, Seinfeld...

Lucky Louie didn't have canned laughter. There was a live audience at every show.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Lucky Louie was an interesting concept and it had its moments. Definitely a throw-back with modern overtones. He was substantially more likeable in that role than he is now, but Louie is far and away a better show.

steam_sig.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Louie is so good, you guys

so good

t5qfc9.jpg
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:

yeah it's hilarious

This is correct.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The first season didn't connect with me, and I've never followed his work before. I've been mildly hooked on Wilfred since it started, so I've sort accidentally watched this season of Louie via the lazyasscan'tmovetoohardcouchnice effect, and it's really been pretty solid. It's not a lulzoutloud show. I think of it more as a dark or bizarro-Seinfeld with some dramatic flair.

You sit through Wilfred to get to Louie?

What's wrong with you? I gave Wilfred two episodes before I bowed the fuck out.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I know! I know, fair critical assessment. I can't help it. Jason Gann is just so damn funny as Wilfred. The rest of it, not so much, but whaddyagonnado.

• Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    Wilfred is hilarious.

sig-1.jpg
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I swear there was an episode where he's chaperoning for his daughters' field trip and, after telling the bus driver to take the freeway as a shortcut, having the bus not clear an overpass resulting in flat tires, then giving the bus driver shit because he's not doing anything (who ends up quitting and walking home because he lives around the corner and he thinks Louis is a terrible person), he just says 'fuck it' and has a half dozen limos show up to take the kids the rest of the way.

I assumed he was just playing his usual, now rich, self on the show. Am I mistaken?

He doesn't tell the bus driver to take a shortcut, the bus driver has no idea where they're going, how to get there, or what the clearence is for the bus. He's fucking irrespsonsible and selfish, which is why the scene is funny to me.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I rarely find myself laughing at this show. But I always find myself entertained. There is simply nothing like it out there. I feel like its less of a sitcom and more of a side note to his standup.

Seinfeld had standup that seemed to inspire the episode. Louie has episodes which seem to inspire the standup. I feel like I watch Louie for the standup and I get to see a look inside the dark mind that crafted those jokes.

616610-1.png
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    Yeah...the last episode, the one about religion...not really funny at all, just deeply disturbing. I kinda hope the show gets back to the "really depressing, but still hilarious" model.

edited July 2011
    You sit through Wilfred to get to Louie?

What's wrong with you? I gave Wilfred two episodes before I bowed the fuck out.

I really want to like Wilfred, but it's just not clicking with me. Thoroughly enjoying Louie though.
    Disrupter wrote:
    I rarely find myself laughing at this show. But I always find myself entertained. There is simply nothing like it out there.

This is exactly how I feel about the show.

Cervetus on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Good find gentlemen, thank you.

Had wrongly assumed this was a basic-cable rehash of the HBO show. Apples and oranges.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I've been wanting to watch this show but only a few episodes from the backend of the first season are up on Hulu. Maybe I'll just pick up the DVD set.

Wilfred is fucking hilarious and I will fight a man who says different

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I found Wilfred amusing enough but very early on I found myself wondering when the gimmick of Wilfred being a dog would take a backseat to it actually becoming interesting.

On about episode 3 I decided they were just going to ride that into the ground and so I stopped watching.