As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragons Nest] New Nexon MMO Open Beta starts today!

Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qc1gdF0yxQ&feature=player_embedded

Did you like Vindictus? Do you like doing DRUGS? Then Dragons Nest might be for you! The beta apparently starts today, and it looks somewhat interesting. The graphics are more animu like and cartoony compared to vindictus, but it seems to be pretty similar gaemplay-wise. The game plan:

1) Grab some guys
2) Head into a dungeon
3) Kill a bunch of shit
4) Get loots
5) Repeat

But instead of gathering random ass mats for armor, enemy actually drop bomb ass loot for you to use. Though there's also apparently a crafting. Also, combat looks absolutely insane from the video's I've seen:

It honestly looks pretty intense and I'm not sure how it will look in a party. I enjoyed Vindictus so I'm gonna give this a try!

Download: http://dragonnest.nexon.net/support/game-download (as of now, it doesn't seem to be up yet

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
I'm dead serious."
Minerva_SC on

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    wait what holy shit this was the best time to accidentally click on the mmo forums

edit-

ok supposed to open up noon tuesday PST, 3pm EST. oh well.

and free cash currency daily and ends august 9th. so i guess this open beta isn't a free mmo open beta, it's a normal one. that will end and wipe characters.

edit 2-

oh wow, no wipe after ob O_O i wonder if you'll keep the cash shop items you buy with the free cash shop money you get... it'll probably only sell temp items that run out in a week or something.
    Open Beta

Q. Is there a application process for Open Beta?
    A. No, Everyone will get to play the open beta as long as they are within our service region and have a Nexon account.

Q. Will there be a wipe after Open Beta ends?
    A. No there will not be a wipe, everything will remain except scales ( cash shop points ).

Q. How long will OB last?
    A. July 26th - August 9th.

Q. Will PvP be in Open Beta?
    A. No.

Q. What will be the level cap of Open Beta?
    A. 24.

Q. When will the games official release begin?
    A. Immediately after OB ends.

Q. Is the Open Beta download available?
    A. Not yet, but it will be released soon.

Q. Will guilds be in Open Beta?
    A. Yes guilds are said to be in OB.

Q. Will there be any Open Beta events or participation rewards?
    Yes, all OB events and rewards can be found here : http://dragonnest.nexon.net/news/news/00CWo/open-beta-events-are-coming?page=1

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2011
    here's a downloader link if you want to start downloading now [erased version link from yesterday, put in direct link] http://download2.nexon.net/Game/DragonNest/FullVersion/DragonNestSetupV05.exe

three servers:

Garrent - East
    Velskud - West
    Argenta - East

someone should pick a server to make characters on so we have a chance of running into one another.

edit- eh i'm gonna go argenta. copying neogaf. lol.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Looks neat. I'll have to have a go at this one.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Lets see if the rest of the world outside the the US borders is allowed to play this. Fucking hate Nexon.

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info Pikapuff! Argenta does sound good, especially since I'm east coast anyways. :p

I'm dead serious."
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Be warned it uses Pando Media Booster for its download, remember to uninstall it after your download is complete or it will rape your connection.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Awesome, I totally forgot about this game over the last month. It's good to see it's finally in OB.

The combat looks intense enough that while it'll probably end up crazy grindy, I'm really excited to give it a try.

ECOED.jpg
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Servers are now up! Too bad I can't play till tonight. :(

I'm dead serious."
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm on Argenta then. Barnago the cleric. Maybe we can direct people to Argenta in the OP and get a list of names until we can get a proper guild up?

Scosglen on
  • FrederickDyversFrederickDyvers Registered User regular
    I'm on Argenta as well. Sorge the warrior.

Rolled Argenta as well.

Seriously enjoying my cleric. All *smash!* *smash!* *BZZZZZZZZ!*

ECOED.jpg
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    I'm on Velskud. Cleric named Morvidian. I'm also in the Rusty Hearts CBT starting tomorrow, so this will be a good week for freemium MMOs.

lvl 9 for a guild.

and my download from last night didn't work? so i'm redownloading using a direct link that doesn't use pando media booster just because.

http://download2.nexon.net/Game/DragonNest/FullVersion/DragonNestSetupV05.exe

jCyyTSo.png
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    I'm on as Riale on Argenta, Sorceress.

So, I noticed that the free cash shop items you get have stats on them that apply above and beyond your regular equipment. I really hope that's just an open beta thing, because if cosmetic cash shop items continue to offer extra stat points, there's no way I'm going to keep playing this game. Which is a shame, because so far it's loads of fun.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
    finally in as Owlowiscious - Archer (to acro)

jCyyTSo.png
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I'm gonna roll a toon on Argenta as soon as my download finishes.
    Riale wrote:
    I'm on as Riale on Argenta, Sorceress.

So, I noticed that the free cash shop items you get have stats on them that apply above and beyond your regular equipment. I really hope that's just an open beta thing, because if cosmetic cash shop items continue to offer extra stat points, there's no way I'm going to keep playing this game. Which is a shame, because so far it's loads of fun.

This is truly a shame... uhg.

There don't appear to be any pieces of gear for sale in the cash shop yet, so maybe it's just for these particular items because the game is in open beta. It would be weird if the cash shop items have stats, because that goes against the way that pretty much every other nexon cash shop is run (convenience/cosmetic items only). Nexon is usually really good about this, so I'll wait and see.

Also, the in game explanation is a little fuzzy. Am I to understand that you can still run dungeons after you run out of PWR or whatever, you just don't get any completion exp? Only the exp from enemies + items. If so, that's a pretty good system. Way better than the limited play system in Vindictus.

33c9nxz.gif
    edited July 2011
    Way better.

Edit: I am "Ehmavisca" the warrior, Argentina. What level are you guys so far? Is the game fun?

F87 on
    riale nah i'm sure cash shop cosmetis WILL be like that. i think it's like that for vindictus and maplestory, other nexon games. just don't worry about it?

jCyyTSo.png
    riale nah i'm sure cash shop cosmetis WILL be like that. i think it's like that for vindictus and maplestory, other nexon games. just don't worry about it?

jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2011
    Maple Story definitely didn't have any stat items, they were all just visual stuff. I was playing it just a few months ago. I don't remember Vindictus having anything like that, either. It's a line that most Freemium MMOs aren't willing to cross.

One thing I'd like to say about this game that hasn't been mentioned yet, is the writing. Unlike most free MMOs, the translation is not only adequate, but excellent. At least the Sorceress quests so far have had me laughing my ass off in more than one spot. The writing is really witty, and makes fun of a lot of MMO tropes. Honestly, I haven't been this entertained by quest text in a long time.

EDIT: By which I mean, stuff like this:

Untitled-4.jpg

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    i can never see tinypic pictures :| oh well

jCyyTSo.png
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    I was hoping for a more open world, but this is still really fun. Clerics are cool, even from an RP perspective.

PikaPuff wrote:

Are you using something like Adblock Plus? You might check to see if you have the domain on a blocklist or something similar. I changed it to photobucket, so it should load fine now.

33c9nxz.gif
    Made it to 14 tonight before finally having to call it quits.

The whole stats on cosmetic items doesn't really bother me that much. I mean, if you're wanting to hardcore pvp here, I guess it'll be pay up or get out, but I can't see them having that huge an impact on dungeon running with your friends.

Even abyss mode would be pretty easy with a couple people. I soloed a few maps and aside from the end bosses, things just take forever to die, and if you get hit a few times you're boned. (fffffffuuuuuu you harpys and your multi-tornado juggling.)

Also, XP seems to be slowing down pretty dramatically from quests. Masters grinding here I come :P

ECOED.jpg
    Riale wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

Are you using something like Adblock Plus? You might check to see if you have the domain on a blocklist or something similar. I changed it to photobucket, so it should load fine now.
    it doesn't matter what browser i'm using, so it's not adblock

jCyyTSo.png
    A tip for people just starting out.

Upgrading is absolutely amazing, especially at low levels. Talk to the smith in the town. Look for weapons that don't have the can't be upgraded text on them (this means the set you get from quests is actually pretty bad).

Upgrading up to lvl 6 is completely safe (no chance of destroying the item) and only costs a few copper so far. On armor it adds a ton of health/mana, and on weapons it adds ridiculous amounts of damage. This makes quest reward stuff that can't be upgraded pretty much obsolete.

I made it to 10 before I decided to take a break because I'd run out of PWR and I'd rather play an alt while I wait for a recharge so I'm getting the most out of every run. Also, it appears there are exp bonuses for partying with people on your friendslist, as well as doing consecutive dungeon runs with the same party.

33c9nxz.gif
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Have you checked your hosts file, PikaPuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXo29w1fyo

Also: What the hell is the MoonLord class called in the US? Or are there classes we haven't gotten yet?

• TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    Rolled a Sorceress up on Argenta, Xolani. Will go into it heavy tomorrow after work, but liking it so far.

edited July 2011
    oh hey this game has a "you can only play this much per day" thing. welp this game sucks.

edit- ok you can play without pwr. that's ok. comments detracted until i understand what's going on.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:
    oh hey this game has a "you can only play this much per day" thing. welp this game sucks.

Nexon would like to remind you you can pay $USD$ to play anyway.

PikaPuff wrote:

You can still play. The PWR cost thing is a little misleading. You can still enter the dungeon, you just don't get bonus experience for completing it. But the enemies still give normal experience and drop items.

Think of it more like a rested system rather than "you cannot play after this point".

33c9nxz.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm doing a lot of pre-SW:TOR MMO tourism. Think I'll try this next.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    I'm doing a lot of pre-SW:TOR MMO tourism. Think I'll try this next.

It's nexon so I'm pretty sure you won't be able to play this outside of North America. IP blocking and such like they used in Vindictus.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    Rolled a character on argenta, and yeah enhancing stuff is pretty cheap and useful. IGN is Zand.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fatigue system? Meh.

also nests. there's lots of nests. i've heard. i'll give this a shot as i wait for rusty hearts to go live.

Liquid Ghost on
    You know, I really enjoyed Vindictus for a while, but this is waaaay better so far.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    that gives me a right tickle, it does. looking forward to kicking some cartoony ass.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Fatigue system? Meh.

also nests. there's lots of nests. i've heard. i'll give this a shot as i wait for rusty hearts to go live.

FWIW, they're saying it's a Rest State system rather than an actual Fatigue system. It sounds like they tweaked the numbers to make playing without the bonus more palatable for westerners.

Do we have a guild?