As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• LynxLynx Registered User regular
    Last I heard, it starts sometime in November. JK Simmons as Tenzin alone has sold me on this show. Everything else is just gravy.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Izzat Korra cosplay? Already?
    Hawt.
    (13s in on the first part of the comicon panel)

EDIT: Evidently not. hireling model, still hot.
    (maybe that's why she firebends so much? :winky: )

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    This seemed like the best place to mention that The Last Airbender's available on netflix instant view.

Just hit the earth village scene.

Brb, gouging out my eyes.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    Why would you gouge out yourOH SHIT

You meant the movie D:

apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote:
    This seemed like the best place to mention that The Last Airbender's available on netflix instant view.
    Why would you do such a thing to yourself?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Why the fuck would you do that to yourself Kedinik?
    You know it's terrible.

And now, Netflix will know that you watched that movie. It'll know forever.
    25 years down the line, Netflix will offer to show you another terrible movie because it remembers that you watched TLA on instant view that one time.
    Maybe it'll be Rocky 5, or Star Trek V, or Avatar 5. But it'll be terrible. And it'll be your fault.

see317 on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I wanted to see the train wreck for myself.

Definitely spectacularly bad.

e: And it was already predicting 1 star for me. Any amount of stars seems too good for it, though.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Lynx wrote:
    Last I heard, it starts sometime in November. JK Simmons as Tenzin alone has sold me on this show. Everything else is just gravy.

That was the initial scheduled released. The window was pushed back to sometime mid-2012

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I watched it a couple days ago just because I was curious to what extent it was bad. I knew it would be bad, but I hadn't thought it was just so... bad. It wasn't MST3K type of bad. There was something so completely mediocre even about its badness. It failed at being bad even.

My wife and I are convinced though that M. Night never actually watched the show. We think he entirely knew it through what his kids told him of the show. It had that feel of "And and and then this happened, and then this happened and then this happened and and and the guys fought and stuff!"

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    The Last Airbender movie is the only movie I have almost walked out on. It was when Zhao recognized Zuko by his lips that I just stood up turned my friends and told them we were leaving. They somehow convinced me to stay.

As for my M Night theory, I believe he did see it, even if it was just watching with his kids. I think he liked some of the basics ideas of Avatar, but didn't really like the characters, so he just tried to make the characters matter as little as possible. You could take out Sokka and Katara past them breaking open the ice and the movie would remain the same. I'm going too far into review mode so I'll stop.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    Lynx wrote:
    JK Simmons as Tenzin

What? I had not heard that.

Best. Day. Ever.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    gotta say this looks pretty amazing

also, ferret

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, I want a fire ferret. It's like a red panda, but ferret-ier

steam_sig.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I like how they brought like a billion new ideas into this one and it's completely different from how I imagined it would be

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Lynx wrote:
    JK Simmons as Tenzin

Hey there, Tenzin here. Here in Republic City, you may hear about these pesky little rebellious types called "Equalists." Now, I don't know what an equalist is, but I'm pretty sure whatever they are, they're just jealous because they can't fly, or light things on fire. Who doesn't want to light things on fire? But don't worry, because I'm training the next Avatar how to fly. Why? Because I'm an Airbender. Life will rue the day when it said my father was the last one. Did he just lie down and give up? No! He went out and kicked everyone's ass. Then he banged a hot water tribe girl, and made another airbender because he could. And I made three more, banging a non bender! What now equalists! So why don't you go do your non bender things, like picking up trash, or growing cabbages. I'll be flying around with my friends setting things on fire. We're done here.

Mvrck on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Callin' it now: The leader of the equalists is
    Ozai.
    Ancient, decrepit, bending-less Phoenix King Ozai, possibly acting through a proxy (the guy in the mask) who may or may not be one of his grand-children.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    What I think would be a cool twist is
    if they do an x-men and reveal the Equalist leader is a bender.Or even better Korra Spirit bends him into one he starts flipping out with joy and the whole movement slowly walks away disillusioned

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited July 2011
    does anyone else think that face-thief demon is going to show up again?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    does anyone else think that face-thief demo is going to show up again?

probably. with all the technology I bet were going to be seeing more people turning away from spiritualism and so that will be a big deal

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    I am very excited about the fedoras.

Schrodinger: that's unfair. It was before he knew he was wheelchair bound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEUEB5v-Jqk

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    :^: Other than a horrible episode 1, Avatar Abridged rocks.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Terrendos wrote:
    I actually am not all that surprised. Air is ubiquitous, and fire can be created by firebenders. On the other hand, water and earth both require that their element be present in the immediate vicinity to be of much use. Katara tended to have those sacks of water with her all the time, so she could waterbend whenever she wanted to, but it looks like Korra doesn't have them. And in a city filled with metal, earthbenders who can't bend metal would be hard pressed to find what they need.

Why would a girl who came from the water tribe bring a sack of water though?
    Korra seems to be a bit more serious and to the point than Aang. It's entirely possible she prefers the aggressive firebending style over waterbending when fighting.

Except that seems to detract from the entire concept of the Avatar cycle. It would be like if Aang decided that Earth bending was a more natural fit for him than air bending.

I mean, I can buy that individual water benders might be might be hot headed and aggressive. But the Avatar should be a representative of his or her respective element for any given incarnation.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Aang used water and air far more often than earth and fire . Right up until the end of the series.

Just because an Avatar knows all four elements doesnt mean he or she has to use them equally in combat.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I am almost morbidly curious enough to watch that movie on Netflix.

Almost.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love the gif of that fight scene where, instead of a rock, they throw M Night's head at the firebenders.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Bud Bundy is voicing Mako

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Allrighty, just watched the trailer!

A. I'm not happy that it jumped so far into the future. Cars and fedoras? Too much man!
    B. I'm very happy that, unlike 99% of fantasy worlds, jumping into the future (and not TENS OF THOUSANDS of years into the future) sees technological growth.

So it's a win lose type of deal for me. Much better than a lose lose!

Though, I really wish they would have continued the story of Aang and his buddies.

But, still, it looks fantastic and I expect to be as every bit good as the Last airbender series. Cannot wait! May not be what I personally wanted, but I cannot see this as being anything less than stellar television.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

That... that can't be real. That has to be outtakes or something, right?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wishpig wrote:
    A. I'm not happy that it jumped so far into the future. Cars and fedoras? Too much man!
    B. I'm very happy that, unlike 99% of fantasy worlds, jumping into the future (and not TENS OF THOUSANDS of years into the future) sees technological growth.

So it's a win lose type of deal for me. Much better than a lose lose!

They moved 70 years in to the future. That's the difference between the 1850s and the 1920s. For comparison, pictures:

http://www.china-underground.com/magazine/once-upon-a-time-in-china-photos-taken-by-tourist-during-the-qing-dynasty

http://www.scribas.com/decade/1920s?page=5

Edit: And don't forget that the fire nation was essentially hitting the start of an industrial age.

Quid on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I think it's incredibly strange that only 100 or so years after the end of TLAB that the world of Avatar has essentially moved into something resembling a post-WW1 setting United States.

I still love the setting. It's just a strange leap.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Capfalcon wrote:

No man this is a blooper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gJAOWRNoBY
    Look in the top left corner at 1:14.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    But that's the thing, it isn't strange. It is drastic, but it's almost identical to the change experienced in a lot of Asia and the rest of the world.

It's just that most of us weren't there to notice it.

Quid wrote:
    But that's the thing, it isn't strange. It is drastic, but it's almost identical to the change experienced in a lot of Asia and the rest of the world.

It's just that most of us weren't there to notice it.

Quite a good point. I've never realised just how drastic the change was from the beginning of the second industrial revolution to the end of the great war. When it's pointed out like this, it's simply astounding.

edited July 2011
    MrDapper wrote:

Is it weird that the start of this scene reminded me a great dealof this show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UONDRp4-Apk

Dram on
    MrDapper wrote:
    Capfalcon wrote:

No man this is a blooper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gJAOWRNoBY
    Look in the top left corner at 1:14.

Black people are the new Ewoks.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The clip playing to Yakketty Sax somehow makes it work.

I've never seen the movie, but perhaps with Yakketty Sax as the only audio, it would be watchable.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Fuck it, I'm taking the plunge

send an ambulance if I don't post within an hour

Fuck it, I'm taking the plunge

send an ambulance if I don't post within an hour

Don't you dare give them the fucking ratings.

it's too late.

what has been seen cannot be unseen. i am ten minutes in and i think i have brain cancer

This discussion has been closed.