As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War [Hesher] Battle Master

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also, looking through my photos, Jari from Wintersun looks like a crazy motherfucker when he plays. I'll throw together some web album or something after I've taken photos from tomorrow's performances.

Edit: Look at this now:
    jari.jpg

Rhan9 on
  • hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    autothrall wrote:
    Really cool interview with Fenriz of Darkthrone, etc:

http://theinarguable.blogspot.com/2011/07/made-of-music-interview-with-gylve.html

You get to know a lot of details about him.

Thanks for posting that Fenriz interview auto!

That was really cool and he sounds so similar to the people I know that play metal.

I don't remember the last time I read such a fucking cool interview...

hanskey on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    Kawir is pretty cool, thanks for the tip auto

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Fenriz comes across as a pretty cool dude in Until The Light Takes Us, and certainly comes off better than some of the fuckbags in that movie.

• yakulyakul Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    Jag Panzer leaves us once again, this time, perhaps permanently:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161102

Ehhh they produced about two good songs in their career. oh well

• hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    yakul wrote:
    autothrall wrote:
    Jag Panzer leaves us once again, this time, perhaps permanently:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161102

Ehhh they produced about two good songs in their career. oh well

Their most recent seemed fairly promising, but yeah they haven't been really good for an age.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Huh. I always liked Jag Panzer after seeing them with Iced Earth a long time ago. The new album was listenable and decent, but nothing truly amazing. Sucks that they decided to split up though.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=161117 New Mastodon song available for streaming ("Black Tongue")

It sounds good. The vocals are... different. Not sure how to describe them, but they sound great. If the whole album is of this quality I'll be very very happy.

Also I'm sorry all I seem to post about is Mastodon, I just share whatever I find that catches my interest.

I am just home from Neurosis. Well that was loud. That was my second time seeing Scott Kelly perform live in the last year and holy fuck he is an incredible performer.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Tav wrote:
    I am just home from Neurosis. Well that was loud. That was my second time seeing Scott Kelly perform live in the last year and holy fuck he is an incredible performer.

What was the setlist like?

steam_sig.png
    Tav wrote:

What was the setlist like?
    Exact same as the rest of their European tour.
    Locust Star
    Given to the Rising
    End of the Harvest
    A Season in the Sky
    At the Well (new)
    Water Is Not Enough
    Belief
    At the End of the Road
    Killing Elk (new)
    Through Silver in Blood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFr8nU3sak

Drudkh + Niege... it is kinda meh, and this is coming from someone who fucking loves everything else by both of these inputs.

• CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    Well, I'm liking it more than Alcest at least. Not sure quite what to think of it yet.
    Got back from SDCC yesterday and wow did I really feel a withdrawl from not having my music with me. Only so many times I can hear LMFAO and Black Eyed Peas before I wanted to go crazy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    It sounds like a natural mid point between Alcest and the most recent Drudkh album. Which is to say, pretty bland.

edited July 2011
    Also, here's the first track revealed from 'The Resistance', the new band with Jesper Stromblad, Glen Lungstrom and other Swedish all-stars, including vocalist Marco Aro

http://youtu.be/UrbZsqtYQ0E

Yeah, it's bad.

autothrall on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That sounds like the cover looks. The production sounds kind of weird and, I don't want to say compressed, but sort of overwhelming and messy, I guess? Probably just because it's a stream, though.

Anyway, I like it, but not as much as I'd hoped on first listen. On second thought, this rules.

Blakout on
    Blakout wrote:
    That sounds like the cover looks. The production sounds kind of weird and, I don't want to say compressed, but sort of overwhelming and messy, I guess? Probably just because it's a stream, though.

Anyway, I like it, but not as much as I'd hoped on first listen. On second thought, this rules.
    I like it. Def sounds like Opeth mixed with Porc Tree

Varg weighs in on Norway bombings. What a fucking loon.

• Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    More MDF bands announced

AUTOPSY
    NAPALM DEATH (UK)
    EYEHATEGOD
    NOOTHGRUSH
    RWAKE
    DEVIATED INSTINCT (UK)
    COUGH
    COKE BUST
    INFERNAL STRONGHOLD
    BACKSLIDER
    CASTEVET

My color is black to the blind
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Ugh. I like more bands now on MDF than on RoD and am debating selling my ticket for RoD to go to MDF again.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    Eh, a lot of the bands on MDF are pretty bad though, it seems like the RoD has a better ratio of quality, though it's not as tried and trued a fest as MDF.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote:
    It sounds like a natural mid point between Alcest and the most recent Drudkh album. Which is to say, pretty bland.

It's okay. We can still bond over our love of The Cure. ;)

Also, the reason for my absence on the blog is that I've been unemployed and busy directing my efforts towards, like, being able to eat dinner. At any rate, I had an interview today, and I listened to Marduk on the way. They fall in to the "big dumb fun" category for me, but all of the hyperbolic outrage and hatred for Jesus gave me this super bad ass feeling that made me go in and just own the interview. So, yeah, Panzer Division Marduk might be my new go-to when I need to kick massive amounts of ass.

steam_sig.png
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Question. Would Alice in Chains be an acceptable band to review for FtDR? I ask because I realized I kinda own all their studio albums and have been looking for an excuse to write a bit. Maybe I could bang out a discography review? Thing is a few of their albums are pretty non-metal (Sap and Jar of Flies, Unplugged). So I'm not sure if it'd be the best fit. Or maybe I'm making a big deal of nothing and should just do it?

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    Tav wrote:

what a stunning contribution to the betterment of mankind

• MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    I am so surprised at this turn of events, shall we now discuss how much we hate his beliefs but how we'll still listen to his music? We won't buy it, of course, that would be supporting a despicable human being and we can't have that in our metal community! There's only room in my world for people I agree with.

edited July 2011
    As multiculturalism continues to spread, and the identity of Europe continues to change, there will be a lot more of this conflict, whether it's in the commentary or the actual, desperate acts. I'm not surprised that Varg feels that way at all, considering his other beliefs. In fact, it will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the metal scene, since there is already a massive growing pagan/folk and NSBM fanbase there who are fed up with Antifas (who are ironically just as violent, if not more so than the nationalists or metal fans they often assault and vandalize) and so forth.

That said, it's sad that any innocents had to die for this man's ideals, whether was nuts or 100% sane and determined to rock the boat. Especially in such a society based on trust, which in general has so little crime. If anyone sees any other Scandinavian metal artists' in-depth comments about the issue, feel free to link them.

On a less serious note: new Fleshgod Apocalypse album!

autothrall on
    Question. Would Alice in Chains be an acceptable band to review for FtDR? I ask because I realized I kinda own all their studio albums and have been looking for an excuse to write a bit. Maybe I could bang out a discography review? Thing is a few of their albums are pretty non-metal (Sap and Jar of Flies, Unplugged). So I'm not sure if it'd be the best fit. Or maybe I'm making a big deal of nothing and should just do it?

Any music is acceptable for FtDR, really. Certainly you could write some for Alice in Chains. I lost interest in the band after their first two albums, so I don't ever plan on doing it. If I ever cover some grunge it'll be lesser known stuff (Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Tad, etc).

Okay, if someone started posting a slew of Lady Gaga and boy band reviews, I might take issue...

• MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Mgcw wrote:
    I am so surprised at this turn of events, shall we now discuss how much we hate his beliefs but how we'll still listen to his music? We won't buy it, of course, that would be supporting a despicable human being and we can't have that in our metal community! There's only room in my world for people I agree with.

Or you could actually listen to good music and not just rehashed bullshit from a sociopath. Kthx.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Well it's probably a good thing I don't care about newer Burzum at all, then. I'm simply sick of the "wow, Varg sure is a retard" discussion.

It's mainly due to a maturing generation of metalheads who used Burzum as a gateway into black metal, or metal in general, ignoring the politics and baggage that came with Varg. People are pretty prone now to point out when someone is a fucking retard.

Its pretty easy to enjoy art while ignoring politics. I see no reason to take offense when someone points out that Varg has a teenagers view of culture. For example I can still enjoy (and pay to see) Megadeth even though Dave is a giant moron, and threw a lot of his fans under the bus by coming out against "satanism" and "magic." Well I guess that is up for debate, but I feel like being a born again Christian is more or less the anti-thesis to 80s thrash

edited July 2011
    It may be easy, but it's also an incredibly lazy way to exercise taste. I think it's quite easy to point out the stupidity of someone and not feel offended by their stupidity.

Morgenstern on
    autothrall wrote:

Any music is acceptable for FtDR, really. Certainly you could write some for Alice in Chains. I lost interest in the band after their first two albums, so I don't ever plan on doing it. If I ever cover some grunge it'll be lesser known stuff (Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Tad, etc).

Okay, if someone started posting a slew of Lady Gaga and boy band reviews, I might take issue...

Sweet! Once I have some time I'll sit down and write some! It'll give me an opportunity to dive in and really listen to a few of their albums, I can't say I've given their self-titled a fair shake.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    New Mastodon single is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwgqenxNUfs

I like the instrumentation and drumming, but I'm not a fan of the direction they've been taking on the vocals. And I can't imagine them doing this one live.

edited July 2011
    I like it, but I got real sick of Crack the Skye after a while and haven't felt compelled to go back.

I do like that the music video is just the guy making the art though, that's cool

yakul on
    I posted that yesterday :< Oh welllllll. It's also available for download on iTunes, if anybody wants to pick it up.

I just got back from Soundgarden. Un-fucking-believable. Played for at least 2 hours, probably around 2 1/2, played stuff from every album, all the big hits, some surprises ("Flower", "Beyond the Wheel", the latter of which Chris nailed every note, it was unreal), deep cuts, it was awesome. The band was on top of their game, so tight, musicianship was incredible. I'm still in awe at how good Chris sounded. Sure he had some rough spots but he was singing the really crazy high shit about 99% of the time, perfectly. INSAAAAAAAAANE.

I'm on a real big high from it right now so bear with me.