As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[IC] Hall of Mirrors [M&M]

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Maga floats briefly in the air as she jumps back, spinning an elaborate blunderbuss in her left hand.

"Now!"

She swiftly levels it and fires with her companions on the monster.
    Using an all-out attack, dropping my defense to 7 to add 5 to my attack roll. 1d20+10=18+5=23
    Rank 10 blast

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    While we wait for the rest: Mountain King is so close to hitting and yet so far. Elldren however gonna hit him.

Thomamelas on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "As you wish Little Sister!" Likymnios's spear flies forward combing with Maga's blast.
    Guess I do a normal attack roll. So here it goes.
    1d20+5=23 Spears strike attack

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And Linky hits. So Elldren gets a +2. Desc, you're up!

Thomamelas on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Loom yells out, "Right!" in a wavering voice as Maga gives the order.

desc on
    edited July 2011
    The sound of glass breaking fills the room as Maga's blow lands straight and true where Likymnios's spear strikes home. The combined force of the attack drives back Shadow Knight, forcing him to withdraw upon himself. As he does, the darkness in the room lets go, the hole in the wall letting in the light from outside.
    And Shadow Knight is staggered and stunned.

Combat Order:
    Shadow Knight
    Linky
    Maga
    Golden Agent
    Loom
    Mountain King

Golden Agent is stunned unless he wants to use a hero point.

Thomamelas on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Combining our efforts worked well," Mountain King comments. "I suggest we do so again, particularly since he is less able to retaliate at the moment."

Captain Carrot on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    I'll take the stun this round, Thom.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited July 2011
    Combat Order:
    Shadow Knight
    Linky
    Maga
    Golden Agent
    Loom
    Mountain King

Then Loom is up.

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2011
    Holding my action to do a second Voltron attack per the above suggestion.

desc on
    edited July 2011
    Combat Order:
    Shadow Knight
    Linky
    Maga
    Golden Agent
    Loom
    Mountain King

Mountain King is up!

Thomamelas on
    edited July 2011
    Well, it was my idea to start with, so ditto.

Captain Carrot on
    edited July 2011
    The rubbery flesh of Shadow Knight begins to crystallize, a hard crystal shell forming around him as he draws the shadows filling the room back upon himself. As he does so, he lets out a keening wail as Likymnios is driven to his knees.
    Combat Order:
    Shadow Knight
    Linky
    Maga
    Golden Agent
    Loom
    Mountain King

Linky gets bruised and staggered as a mental blast strikes him.

Thomamelas on
    Pushing himself back into a striking position. "Little Sister shall we do this again?"
    Holding my action for a combined attack again with Ell

u7stthr17eud.png
    Combat Order:
    Shadow Knight
    Linky
    Maga
    Golden Agent
    Loom
    Mountain King

Maga is up!

Maga nods to her companions before staring down Shadow Knight.

"Prepare yourself!"

Maga floats up into the air, a flickering violet aura surrounding her. She points up at the ceiling, seeming to focus on something above the roof of the temple.

"Fleurflamme"

Her arms crackle with energy, purple arcs striking the walls and ceiling above. She suddenly drops her head, fixating on her foe and pointing at him.

"FINALE"

For a brief moment nothing happens. The air stands still as if time had stopped, the violet arcs cease and the glow around her subsides. But then a broad stream of light bursts through the roof of the temple, melting the stone and exploding above Shadow Knight's head.
    1d20+10=14 damage 12 penetrating beam of orbital laser death. If it hits.

Maga falls to the floor, visibly exhausted by her effort.

fuck gendered marketing
    "As you say little sister!" With that Likymnios spears comes down to try keep Shadow Knight in line with the attack.
    1d20+5=23 Strike of course but combined attack. Damn ell, shame we can't swap our attack rolls.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mountain King peppers Shadow Knight with shards of ice, attempting to distract him so that he does not dodge Maga's impressive attack.
    I rolled 19 for another combined attack.

Loom strikes at the same time as his associates, to little apparent effect.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    "Th-that's it! Keep hitting him like that!" Audibly groggy, Golden Agent still nimbly kips up from his prone position and races to rejoin the others, hurling a beeping coin at Shadow Knight.
    http://4e.orokos.com/roll/45433

Standing from prone using Instant Up, moving into the room, tossing a triggered explosive at him for 1d20+10=19. If it hits, it's set to go off automatically (whether I'm conscious or not) at Maga's next initiative count to add a Blast 8 to the combined attack.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    The icy attack of Mountain King causes a crack to form on the crystals surrounding Shadow Knight. Golden Agent's coin bounces and lands on the center of the crack, detonating and expending the cracks to a hole. Likymnios spear flies true into the path of Maga's blast, the magic of the two combing as they hit the weakened armor in a flash of light that clears the darkness from the room. As your eyes recover, all that is left is an decrepit old man wearing the armor and tabard of a Knight Templar. He looks up at you. "Thank you...I was the link binding him here." He gasps once and dies, leaving you on the top wreckage of the temple.
    Combat is over.

Maga collapses in relief

fuck gendered marketing
    The Agent looks around in a daze as the adrenaline suddenly drains from his limbs, leaving them feeling very, very heavy. "What the....?" He shakes his head to try and get some of the cobwebs out. "I have...no idea what happened here, but I think it's time we booked. Someone grab that body. Let's try and get ourselves, and it, back home and maybe we can start getting some answers."

rRwz9.gif
    "Time for us to leave, perhaps?" Mountain King asks, still in Mercury's voice.

Slowly walking over to the old man, "You fought well grandfather. Now we will take you home." Picking him up gently in his arms. "Shall we leave καπετάνιος? I believe our αναζήτηση here is over."

u7stthr17eud.png
    Do we need to return to where we were inserted to get back, or can we do it from here?

rRwz9.gif
    Nope. The teleport devices are anchored and designed to be used in situations where going home right now is ideal. Just click your heels together and say "There is no place like home, no place like home". And when the feeling of silliness passes, just hit the recall button.

"Let's blow this joint." Golden Agent presses the recall button.

rRwz9.gif
    As Golden Agent presses the recall button, the group of you along with the corpse of Shadow Knight are teleported back to the base. The normal bustle of the base is subdued, with a group of white uniformed medicos moving towards you quickly and professionally, taking the body from Likymnios and getting it onto a gurney, beginning trauma care as the corpse continues to visibly age. De Molay draws himself to attention, his hand coming up in a salute, palm forward as the gurney is rolled by him. Releasing the salute, he reflexively pivots on his right heel to face you. His posture becoming more relaxed as he moves towards you.

"The world suffered a great loss today. But from the video feeds, it appears you had no choice. Take a moment for any personal needs then we'll meet in the conference room for a debriefing."
    End issue 3. Hero points reset. Another PP is gained. Please PM me about how you've spent the 3 PP you've gained. You've got 20 minutes of in game time and I'll be making the post starting debriefing sometime after midnight.

After 20 minutes, you find yourself ushered into the conference room with De Molay standing at the head of the table, a display behind him showing a still shot of what was clearly the alternate world. "Gentlemen and lady, we're going to conduct a debrief. The purpose of a debrief is to help you improve both individually or as a team. And while you accomplished your goals, there is always room for improvement."

With that, he begins playing the video. "The original parameters of the mission called for a stealth entry. What change in the tactical situation called for the alteration of the plan?" His eyes fall on Golden Agent and Mountain King.

You'd better let me handle this. He kind of freaked out when you spoke last time. Very well. "I think there were two main factors there. One, an impending human sacrifice that, as heroes, we wanted to prevent. Two, when we started moving in to do so, several dozen of their warriors tried to kill us." He pauses. "Also, none of us are all that good at sneaking into a massive well-lit religious ceremony being held on top of a pyramid without being seen."

"You forgot to mention we also were going to save a monster that should of never been allowed out of τάρταρος." But that has nothing to do with the cowards way in.

u7stthr17eud.png
    "You as a group didn't appear to be aware of the sacrifice until you had gotten to the city proper. Was there some sort of indicator that lead you to believe other wise?"

Loom fiddles with a pen.

"There wasn't much forewarning. Everything seemed quiet as we entered the city. The ambush came out of nowhere."

DeMolay, fiddles with a control, showing video footage of the bridge. "Would you say that perhaps this tipped them off?"

"Yes. Yes I would."

fuck gendered marketing
    "Stealth was lost early and apparently the other side either noticed the bridge or the amount of energy used in creating it. So I ask again, why was this approach used?"

Mountain King crosses his still-frozen arms. "Because it was the best thing I could think of. In retrospect, yes, it was a bad plan. Can we move on now?"

DeMolay gives Mountain King a look frostier then his arms. "The goal is so that in the future, there will be a better plan. Performance can always be improved." He changes the video view to the fight in the street. "In this fight, your team was bogged down. Clearly the enemy had an ambush planned as well as an advantage of home terrain. Why did you maintain contact with them?"

"Are you saying we should have run and regrouped?"