As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Steamworks and [Phalla] Obscura: Day 3: Full Life Consequences

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Gut feelings, the way people are acting, who voted when, and why, who is suspicious of who, and how they're saying so. For instance, I am suspicious of !Paccavi at the moment, because I feel that after seeing Kime spend the entire science phalla pretending to be mafia, while actually being one, and is giving it a shot. Tenuous, probably wrong, but still better than voting someone just because the network head did.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I guess I'm just wondering if you think we should be voting for other people, but still hope taya gets the vote, or if we should be voting out someone else tonight. It seems weird to me to try to vote for people if I don't want them to be eliminated tonight.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    well the vote can be used in interesting ways, besides just going after one target that the network designates.

You can use it to put pressure on people, and see how they react. Sometimes just voting once for someone will make them say or do something suspicious. It's relatively easy to maintain a good villager persona when you aren't being looked at.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Well, who do you want to be eliminated tonight then? If you have a suspicion, always vote for them. Get that out in the open. Get people talking about it. Debate and information is the blood of the village. Really, the one downside of a day 1 like yesterday's is that while it sets up a network quite well, it doesn't give us a lot of votes to pick apart.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I'm watching you, Langly.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    We should listen to King Mole.

But in my defense, he voted for me shortly after the narration went up and I doubt he had time to talk with the specials. His gut feeling was no more important than anyone's at that point.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Man I am not following any of this at all. I'll have to look over everything again after work.

• Options
    Speaking of, I'm watching you, Langly.
    mms032.jpg

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Clearly my gut feeling is the most important.

Tmioy, I found it weird that you were trying to push the vote off of stever

• Options
    er, tmoiy

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    oooOOoOoOooOOoooOoOO

Well, at least I left a gift for the village.

OoOoOoooOoOOoOooOOoo

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Taya

For being defensive this early in the day, and more importantly me getting in my grudge vote I skipped out on yesterday.

Also excited to have a network head that is hopefully connected with the vig and for having a lucky guard in this game

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote:
    I expect to see these "placeholder" votes on Taya either given an actual reason to exist or moved by the end of the night.

I absolutely hate it when people put placeholders with no reasoning and don't move them. Particularly because it's so easy for mafia to hide in there.

Just want to throw in my two cents about this, because I am notoriously guilty of doing exactly that:

Placeholder votes can be a good place to hide as a mafia, but sometimes you just don't know if you'll be around by vote close or if other information will come out from a network head.

It is kind of a personal thing; hell, Phalla is a personal game. Individuals have a distinct voice, even on a web forum.

• Options
    I disagree with the Taya wagon, I feel like !Peccavi is a better vote.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Yeah I mean, I thought it was obvious my vote was a "follow the network leader placeholder".

That said, I'm not getting a bead on Taya and I've been pretty good at figuring out when she's been village the last couple games.

Peccavi is being weird though.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    !Peccavi

Because I do not think Tmoiy was acting that suspicious and you are just using it as an excuse to vote for somebody else.

I will change my vote if Kingmole declares a non-placeholder target and I check the thread before close.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    facetious wrote:
    That said, I'm not getting a bead on Taya and I've been pretty good at figuring out when she's been village the last couple games.

I absolutely have not. I haven't pegged her as mafia any of the times she was.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Re-read everything and !Peccavi is being suspicious. Also I will not have time to check the vote before close at 9 because that's when I get off work.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    TheScruple wrote:
    I'll vote for 38thdoe again, for the same reasons as yesterday.

Would we know from the narration if WH was a mafia target? Like, would it say both "Failed to move the gear up" and "Not balanced for lean", or whatever the flavor text is, next to his name?

Day 1 votes typically are based on grudges or instincts since there really isn't anything else to base them on. (Unless you start off on a team with people you need to kill, but that doesn't happen very often.)
    Sticking with a day 1 vote can be good, but sticking with Day 1 reasoning can become suspicious.

Different hosts do it differently, but yes a lot of the time you would see both. Since this Phalla seems to be fairly straightforward, I would think that a guard happened rather than a double kill.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    Yea based off the narration I'm pretty sure that should be read as guard blocked one of the mafia kills

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Also the narration explicitly mentions a guard happening

• Options
    I'm just waiting on King. After last game I really don't want to try to lead the village because that really did not go well for us. >_>

At least this time I have someone I know I can follow.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Based on that, the guard should tell kingmole who he guarded, if kingmole only gets one such PM, I'd say trust them in a soft-network, if kingmole gets more than one PM than we have a list of people to start killing

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    !Peccavi

On the off chance he's playing Kime

• Options
    SeGaTai wrote:
    Based on that, the guard should tell kingmole who he guarded, if kingmole only gets one such PM, I'd say trust them in a soft-network, if kingmole gets more than one PM than we have a list of people to start killing

oh man that'd be fun.

• Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote:
    TheScruple wrote:
    I'll vote for 38thdoe again, for the same reasons as yesterday.

Would we know from the narration if WH was a mafia target? Like, would it say both "Failed to move the gear up" and "Not balanced for lean", or whatever the flavor text is, next to his name?

Day 1 votes typically are based on grudges or instincts since there really isn't anything else to base them on. (Unless you start off on a team with people you need to kill, but that doesn't happen very often.)
    Sticking with a day 1 vote can be good, but sticking with Day 1 reasoning can become suspicious.

Different hosts do it differently, but yes a lot of the time you would see both. Since this Phalla seems to be fairly straightforward, I would think that a guard happened rather than a double kill.

Oh, ok. It's just a placeholder. Without any more compelling leads at this time, I'm sticking with my day 1 vote. Is that better? I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out.

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    Alkey42 wrote:
    !Peccavi

Because I do not think Tmoiy was acting that suspicious and you are just using it as an excuse to vote for somebody else.

I will change my vote if Kingmole declares a non-placeholder target and I check the thread before close.

There was no benefit to saving stever. Once we knew he was a mason, it was in our best interest to kill him on our terms, which required killing him last night. Otherwise, the mafia could kill him without him revealing Kingmole, and there would have been no benefit from having masons in this game. So yes, I find suggesting that we not kill stever last night suspicious (or something that a new player would do, which makes this phalla so difficult).

• Options
    TheScruple wrote:
    Oh, ok. It's just a placeholder. Without any more compelling leads at this time, I'm sticking with my day 1 vote. Is that better? I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out.

Unless we hear from Mole, from my understanding it generally doesn't make too much difference for the first couple of days.

• Options
    I want to hear back from King Mole. Tmoiy is my first choice.

This doesn't seem like Peccavi's mafia behaviour, but maybe that's what he's going for.

• Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    I supported saving stever because IMO he was basically already confirmed at that point. Even if the mafia had killed him last night without him revealing, it would have been easy for KingMole to reveal today (like kime did in the Loxley phalla). So we would still have a network. Using the vote on someone else could have given us more information.

Sorry for voting you again Taya, but as long as the network head is also voting for you, I see little value to switching from my grudge vote.

• Options
    But how could we have trusted KingMole if he wasn't revealed by stever?

• Options
    If someone in the mafia had counterclaimed, we would get to kill a mafia. Usually a bad deal for them.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes, but we would have had to take out King too to make sure we got a mafia.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Well as it is we had to take out stever and we didn't manage to kill any mafia. Honestly, I feel like networks are being overrated a little bit right now.

• Options
    Having a strong village network is important. Now we'll have a vig, a seer, a guard, and a vocal villager head all working together.

• Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote:
    Alkey42 wrote:
    !Peccavi

There was no benefit to saving stever. Once we knew he was a mason, it was in our best interest to kill him on our terms, which required killing him last night. Otherwise, the mafia could kill him without him revealing Kingmole, and there would have been no benefit from having masons in this game. So yes, I find suggesting that we not kill stever last night suspicious (or something that a new player would do, which makes this phalla so difficult).

But he had to die to confirm his masoniess. Otherwise it could of been a mafia ploy.

...I think, I am a noob after all.

• Options
    It's still 13-4. And potentially we have 5 people "confirmed" in the network if you count whomever was guarded last night. I think it's a pretty good spot. Certainly relative to biology.

• Options
    Also the network should not immediately trust anyone who claims to be a seer until he gives them a target that turns out to be mafia, until then he can just help rule out hunches.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    It was a placeholder.

Right now, !Peccavi is the best choice, since I really don't have a lot of info to go on just yet. Though if there ever was a village idiot role....

doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    Congratulations! You have found me! I am the
    Vanillager
    Alkey42 wrote:
    Peccavi wrote:
    Alkey42 wrote:
    !Peccavi

But he had to die to confirm his masoniess. Otherwise it could of been a mafia ploy.

...I think, I am a noob after all.

No, we're saying the same thing. Stever had to die last night, otherwise it could've been a mafia ploy.

Tmoiy tried to get us to save Stever.