As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend a Good Gaming Headset/Mic

warder808warder808 Registered User regular
I have a set of Plantronics that just crapped out on me. So Im in the market for a new headset mic combo. Any suggestions within the $100-$150 range?

steam_sig.png
warder808 on

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you just want it for PC gaming or are you also looking for console gaming?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    I think I'll stick to PC gaming.

steam_sig.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    well I just picked up a pair of AudioTechnica AD700 headphones and have been using my zalman clip-on mic to great success. The price for the both on Amazon.ca is ~$80 and on amazon.com is ~$100 due to some pretty good sales going on right now.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I like my Logitech USB Clearchat Pro, or something along those buzzwords. The sound quality could be a tad better, but that's the sub-$100 range for you.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave/

I've been using this headset for over a year now and it's still going strong. I even wrote a review about it!
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.180969-Hardware-Review-Roccat-Kave-5-1-Surround-Sound-Headset

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Do you want a set of full headphones and a mic attached to do you want a dedicated headset/mic combo like one would find on the Xbox or PS3?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Like the sennheiser headsets.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    Bought a Logitech G35. I have loved it so far.

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Is there a good dedicated headphone/mic combo that works on both the PC and PS3?

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think the official PS3 bluetooth can work on PC. It works well.

Shouldn't the PS3 accpet most USB hedsets?

If you want to use a headphone that has a 3.5mm jack on the PS3 then you'll need something like a astro mixamp, which is nice too for the 5.1 decoding I guess.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    the PS3 bluetooth headset took me like 3 hours with a Dremel to make it wearable, whoever thought it was a good idea to have razor sharp lines on a thing that sticks into squishy non-uniform bags of flesh and cartilage is either a moron or some sort of super-efficient Asian cyborg with slotted hearing ports instead of ears. That said, once I had it shaped proper it was an amazing earpiece to use.
    Hippy's right, any USB headset should work in the PS3 just fine.

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Hey, I don't have slotted hearing ports.

I dunno, fitted pretty well on me.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    I have dumbo ears :cry:

• AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Do you want a set of full headphones and a mic attached to do you want a dedicated headset/mic combo like one would find on the Xbox or PS3?

To thread hijack, I'm looking to put a microphone onto my existing headphones, if anyone can recommend a very nice clip-on one that'll pick up on nothing but my voice.

• MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-Full-Size-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00365EA1Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1311800785&sr=1-3

I have the siberia v1 which is the same think w/o the mic attached. I love them. They look goofy as hell but they are the most comfortable headset I have ever worn.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote:
    I think the official PS3 bluetooth can work on PC. It works well.

Shouldn't the PS3 accpet most USB hedsets?

If you want to use a headphone that has a 3.5mm jack on the PS3 then you'll need something like a astro mixamp, which is nice too for the 5.1 decoding I guess.

I'd prefer USB since I don't have a bluetooth dongle for my PC, but I'm not sure if they work on PS3. Can anyone confirm?

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Anyone have thoughts on Logitech's G930? I'm looking for a good wireless gaming headset with microphone and not sure if all the bad reviews I've read on the G930 are from incompetent people or are actually valid.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    Anyone have thoughts on Logitech's G930? I'm looking for a good wireless gaming headset with microphone and not sure if all the bad reviews I've read on the G930 are from incompetent people or are actually valid.

I've been pretty happy with my pair (although it's my first pair of headphones like them, so not much to compare to). Incoming and outgoing sound quality are nice, and given the size they're pretty comfy. I've used them mostly on my Mac (surround sound and button mapping don't work, but they still function overall) so I haven't gotten too in depth with some of the crazy features, but the times I have booted into Windows to play, the surround adds a surprising amount.

What negatives have you been hearing?

mrheist-wide.png
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Bought a Logitech G35. I have loved it so far.

Like these a lot, buttons on the side are really handy and good sound/comfort.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Trying to remember because it's been a few weeks since I read the reviews. People were having problems with the microphone picking up every sound in the house(noise cancelling not working), buzzing noises and I think the auto shutoff happening when they were using it. These problems were pretty prevalent when I read reviews, but as I've found out over the course of years, people have problems with technical items and don't set them up properly, or even use them properly.

50433.png?1708759015
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Tritton makes a pretty nice headset with microphone. I've used their 720 for about two years now (got it at the first PAX East) It's got good sound, large cushy padding, is adjustable and hooks up to every-goddamn-thing. Even RCA shit :D!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!