As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goods, services and their production.

2»

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    There's a good bit of Marxist theory on "what happens next" as well. He correctly predicted a trend in large companies that ends with less innovation, bloat, and corporate buyouts, takeovers, and acquisitions to keep a company floating, as well as all of the negative attributes that comes with it, and how they affect the job market.

Yeah...um I'd like to see some evidence of this correct predication. Since I'm typing this on a 4g touch screen smart phone. Which 15 years ago would have been fucking genie magic.

More generally this post-scarcity idea is caused I think in part because so much of our resource extraction and manufacturing are located in the 3rd world.

to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson: "The batteries in your prius, are lithium mined in Canada, turned into a chemical foam in China, and then made into batteries in Japan, put into a car, and then shipped across thousands of miles of ocean"

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    There's a good bit of Marxist theory on "what happens next" as well. He correctly predicted a trend in large companies that ends with less innovation, bloat, and corporate buyouts, takeovers, and acquisitions to keep a company floating, as well as all of the negative attributes that comes with it, and how they affect the job market.

Yeah...um I'd like to see some evidence of this correct predication. Since I'm typing this on a 4g touch screen smart phone. Which 15 years ago would have been fucking genie magic.

More generally this post-scarcity idea is caused I think in part because so much of our resource extraction and manufacturing are located in the 3rd world.

to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson: "The batteries in your prius, are lithium mined in Canada, turned into a chemical foam in China, and then made into batteries in Japan, put into a car, and then shipped across thousands of miles of ocean"

If you look at a lot of companies, espescially in biotech, the large companies are surviving by parasitizing the small companies. Relying on buying them out to keep discovering new stuff. It's mainly a problem of goals though, they want to keep producing drugs but only certain types of highly profitible ones (treatments for conditions, not cures). This is very hard though, and limited progress can be made so they stay afloat by buying out smaller companies who are researching more useful stuff.

And again, this isn't post scarcity, what I'm proposing is that we are 'post full employment'

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm curious as to if there is really scarcity at all and not simply poor or lack of allocation of resources. I wonder if anyone has done research on what kind of resources there are compared to amount of people to see what kind of standard of living people could approach?

It seems that once the world population stabilizes it should be easier to figure out.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say