As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Creating a comic?

2»

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote:
    does it bother you when lawyers are totally crap in cop shows? my dad's a lawyer and he's complained so much when watching law and order or csi that now it bugs me too
    It really annoys me, I can tell you that. Especially some of the nonsense that goes on in a British show called Judge John Deed (though occasionally you wish every judge would act like him for the sheer hilarity of it). Every time you say "I'm a lawyer" you just know the next question will either be "So do you defend murderers?" or "Hurrrr is your job really like it was in This Life?".

Wildcat on
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zeromus wrote:
    So, does anyone know of any TPBs that are collected with the original scripts? Like the Anniversary Edition of Arkham Asylum? Preferably something involving Batman or another major character from the "Big Two?"

Not a TPB or about major characters, but the special edition of Nextwave #1 has the script at the back, which makes for interesting insight. Not that you have any excuse to not have it already.

Azrael on
  • El DudarinoEl Dudarino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    realistically what are the chances of someone writing a new comic that actually gets published?

El Dudarino on
    lebowski11.jpg
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    realistically what are the chances of someone writing a new comic that actually gets published?

If you write a short 8 page comic you can get it published in an indie anthology rather easily as long its any good, though you usually don't get paid much for it but its good to use to get your stuff out there. Aside from that unless the art is already finished its hard to find a publisher except maybe smaller ones

Zavian on
  • El DudarinoEl Dudarino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zavian wrote:

If you write a short 8 page comic you can get it published in an indie anthology rather easily as long its any good, though you usually don't get paid much for it but its good to use to get your stuff out there. Aside from that unless the art is already finished its hard to find a publisher except maybe smaller ones

hopefully i have a shot then. I am writing and my friend is doing the art. I have high hopes for our first project.

El Dudarino on
    lebowski11.jpg
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    deleted

gredavin on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Azrael wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:
    So, does anyone know of any TPBs that are collected with the original scripts? Like the Anniversary Edition of Arkham Asylum? Preferably something involving Batman or another major character from the "Big Two?"

Not a TPB or about major characters, but the special edition of Nextwave #1 has the script at the back, which makes for interesting insight. Not that you have any excuse to not have it already.

http://www.amazon.com/Nextwave-Agents-H-T-E-Vol/dp/0785122788/sr=8-1/qid=1170435487/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6444145-3828408?ie=UTF8&s=books

This?

Or if not, can you link to it? <3

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have been working on this science fiction alternate reality project off and on for several years now. I've got most of the setting figured out, the main characters pretty much ironed out, and I am outlining several plots. My prose is kind of reading like a script, much more than i would like. Perhaps i should just try to write a comic script already, but it is very intimidating.

So yeah i want to make a comic series.

DouglasDanger on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zeromus wrote:
    Azrael wrote:
    Zeromus wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Nextwave-Agents-H-T-E-Vol/dp/0785122788/sr=8-1/qid=1170435487/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6444145-3828408?ie=UTF8&s=books

This?

Or if not, can you link to it? <3

Nah, I've got that, and no scripty dealies in there.

You should buy it anyway though.

ben0207 on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hay guys, a bit of interesting news pertinent to this thread. Arcana's putting together a horror comic compilation for Halloween and they're accepting submissions. A few people will get to have their horror comic published in the book. Since getting a break seems to be the big first step, I imagine this would be a good opportunity for anyone serious about doing comics professionally. Anyway, check out this press release at Newsarama.

Also, while I'm at it, has anyone made any progress on any of their comic ideas? It's been about 4 or 5 months since we last talked about this subject so hopefully someone's gotten further along in the process since then.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I've wanted to write comics my whole life (I have the art ability of a trout). Problem is, all the good artists I know want to write their own stuff and fly solo on the whole process. I always have this feeling that, should I snare a fresh artist, I could help create something impressive.

Ok, so call me totally lame for thinking this, but we live right next door to the art forum, right? What about we do our own cross over with them, maybe work together some scripts and such? Who knows, we could make something really good with all this raw talent floating around here.

Mr Pink on
  • DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That would be good to combine forum talent, but even when i've been working with paid artists collaborating on a project i've had a tough time motivating them (except the artists overseas in Peru, man, those guys can rock out a billion comic pages a day with no complaints!)

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    So I've wanted to write comics my whole life (I have the art ability of a trout). Problem is, all the good artists I know want to write their own stuff and fly solo on the whole process. I always have this feeling that, should I snare a fresh artist, I could help create something impressive.

Ok, so call me totally lame for thinking this, but we live right next door to the art forum, right? What about we do our own cross over with them, maybe work together some scripts and such? Who knows, we could make something really good with all this raw talent floating around here.

The AC members, as a whole, aren't too big on doing unpaid work. However, as I stated back on the first page of this thread, I wouldn't mind doing a few pages (1-4) of penciled pages for people, or even just inked character designs, just for fun. I'm no great artist or anything, but I do okay I guess.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    That is nice artwork there, Munch.

DouglasDanger on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My friend's an amazing artist, and he's also pretty funny. He suggested we should do a comic together (I write). We started workingon it and it wasn't really working out, so he said "look, just write something." I wrote what I think is a pretty awesome script for the first few issues, but he's really busy all the time and drawing the stuff is probably a lot harder than writing it (I wouldn't really know) so as far as I know all he's got are a few sketches, while I'm still really attached to these scripts that I'm writing.

So that's as far as I've gone.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited June 2007
    I really really want to be a comic writer. I wish I could draw, but I got so angry and irritated with a fundamentals of art class that I dropped out of it. I have been working on this thing off and on in spurts for nearly two years now, and I am trying to get my brain to think in terms of panels, so I can start scripting stuff.

Munch, are you serious about wanting to draw people's characters and stuff? That would be eight or nine kinds of awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sure, as time permits. I don't really have time to commit to anything large, but anyone who wants to PM me scripts for a few pages of sequentials, or requests for character designs, are welcome to. But only if you share the final product in this thread, so anyone can mock it for being horrible.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    Like now? I could have a character description and maybe a rough heromachine image with notes PM-ed to you in a few hours!

(I am excited!)

DouglasDanger on
  • Avro_ArrowAvro_Arrow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd pretty much like to go the same way as Munch suggested.

I guess I'm all right at pencilling, am learning to ink effectively, but I can't do panels any good. I've been lurking for maybe a month, and I will have a lot of free time this summer, so I dunno, I'd like to work with someone.

EDIT: I'll run and go see if there's any pages of stuff I did that my mom hasn't thrown out.

Also i'll need tons and tons of time. Also, I'm 15.

Avro_Arrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All the work I've done on comics was in last years battle tournament and this years. (Link in sig for those interested).

Projeck on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Hay guys, a bit of interesting news pertinent to this thread. Arcana's putting together a horror comic compilation for Halloween and they're accepting submissions. A few people will get to have their horror comic published in the book. Since getting a break seems to be the big first step, I imagine this would be a good opportunity for anyone serious about doing comics professionally. Anyway, check out this press release at Newsarama.

Also, while I'm at it, has anyone made any progress on any of their comic ideas? It's been about 4 or 5 months since we last talked about this subject so hopefully someone's gotten further along in the process since then.

Do any of you guys write really short horror stories? I've kind of been wanting to draw some comics using charcoal, and horror seems like a good match.

This thread makes me happy.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Would it be appropraite to post my character description and pathetic heromachine "sketch" here, in case anyone wants to draw it? Or should I be worried about some lurker ripping me off. I go to do wahtever with my comic character 3 years from and the next day see something on newsarama that is pretty much the same, except the colors are different.

DouglasDanger on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think you're probably safe.

You'll probably have lots of ideas you like more within three years anyway.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »

Do any of you guys write really short horror stories? I've kind of been wanting to draw some comics using charcoal, and horror seems like a good match.

This thread makes me happy.

I've written horror/suspense short stories before. Do you have any idea on theme or anything like that?

Mr Pink on