As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game Over] Star Wars Battlefront II PC - Peacetime

• b1u35b1u35 Registered User regular
    Ugh, now I'm getting so tempted to reinstall this game. Too bad my disks are 2000 miles away...

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    steam is always right there to help you!

• b1u35b1u35 Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    steam is always right there to help you!

Downloading now. Haha

• BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    IdolNinja wrote:

That weird graphical stuff is tied in to issues with draw distance and other video settings. If you leave everything on default instead of maxing the sliders then everything works fine. At least it worked for me anyway.

Imagine stream of consciousness that i'll attribute to my non existent Tourette syndrome: .....

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any tips for playing an engineer? It seems like a lot of the other players can throw their det packs way farther than me. When I try it just lands like a foot in front of me.

camo_sig2.png
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I have my discs in my college footlocker back at the house. If we're getting a server going sign-me-up I love this game.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    DigitalSyn wrote:
    So an update on the server situation - I decided to update everything I have and just get a brand new server hosted out of Atlanta. The server specs are: Intel Core i5 2500 CPU, 4x 3.3Ghz Core, 6M L3, 8 GB DDR3-1333 with 1TB hd space.

Totally overkill for SWBF2, but it will be just one of many games I plan to host for the Gentlemen of the Row and other PA groups. I may just fire up the minecraft server again - hell just to see how this sucker preforms. The main issue with the previous server was it was a Virtual Windows Server. It was cheap, but you get what you pay for and the lag was just horrible. I did some digging and found that the engine SWBF2 runs on hooks to the CPU really close, so a virtualized CPU driver wasn't cutting it.

The bad news is since it is a physical server, I am having it shipped and loaded up and that process can take between 10-15 days. Idol or myself will update once this bad boy is setup and ready for testing. Don't lose hope!

Well, with those specs I fully expect space battles with a stupid amount of bots.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DigitalSyn wrote:
    So an update on the server situation - I decided to update everything I have and just get a brand new server hosted out of Atlanta. The server specs are: Intel Core i5 2500 CPU, 4x 3.3Ghz Core, 6M L3, 8 GB DDR3-1333 with 1TB hd space.

Totally overkill for SWBF2, but it will be just one of many games I plan to host for the Gentlemen of the Row and other PA groups. I may just fire up the minecraft server again - hell just to see how this sucker preforms. The main issue with the previous server was it was a Virtual Windows Server. It was cheap, but you get what you pay for and the lag was just horrible. I did some digging and found that the engine SWBF2 runs on hooks to the CPU really close, so a virtualized CPU driver wasn't cutting it.

The bad news is since it is a physical server, I am having it shipped and loaded up and that process can take between 10-15 days. Idol or myself will update once this bad boy is setup and ready for testing. Don't lose hope!

Well, with those specs I fully expect space battles with a stupid amount of bots.

I was telling Idol about Huge Hoth last night. Which has like 100 bots per side, or some similar crazy number. The Imperials start with 32 AT-ST's, and three to four AT-AT's, and the map is, as the name implies, huge.

The rebels can wreak utter havoc with their aircraft if they're clever, so all those vehicles are needed. Especially since the map uses space settings, which means that all aircraft get friend or foe identification for all infantry and vehicles in the game (And this really helps. When there's a 50v50 fire-fight brewing on the ground, it's damn hard to see what you're aiming at without it.).

There's also the pre-made conversion packs. Which add in things like an all original, canon specific KOTOR era (It has maps ranging from the Endar Spire, to the end of KOTOR2, to new Coruscant maps. Also, it has new units and heroes, apparently. Though I can't test this.), and 33 new maps.

I think one of the packs also amps up the existing Hoth map so that 50 bots can be on each side, too. Any large-scale map has the bots scaled upwards to make the game feel less empty.

Problem is, despite me spending a week trying to get the conversion packs and mods to work on my end, it's just not activating the new era, or new bot caps for the large sized maps. Which is a shame, because a few of the mods also include things like a texture upgrade, to make the game look nicer.

Apparently there's some issue with getting vista and windows 7 to recognize mods with BF2, that add in things like new era's/caps, and I just can't find a fix for it. The only source of info regarding it i've been able to find is filefront comments, and that's a wasteland of intelligence if i've ever seen one.

In other news, some folks don't know about this, but if you hit F4 while you have a mob targeted, it will join your squad. You can get a fair number of mobs to follow you around, and fight with you, this way.

This is really handy for assaulting heavily guarded areas. But keep in mind that if you're going for points to get the hero/new classes, their kills won't count towards yours.

Archonex on
    Do you have links to said mods/maps? I'd like to take a stab at getting them to work.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Conversion Pack is a little weird to install, but it works perfectly and we had a server up with it and all of us playing on it a while back with all the new modes and maps. I'll see about digging up the install instructions I wrote up for it that everyone used to get it running.

EDIT:
    Found it in my sentbox. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a hard limit to how many extra maps you can have in the folder before the game just crashes. So you can't run, say, Conversion Pack AND Squeddie's 123 at the same time.

CONVERSION PACK INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

STEP 1. Download and install Conversion Pack 2.0
    http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack;94154#Download

!!!IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT THE INSTALL!!!
    Make sure to change the path to your Steam folder for the install and not the default program files path!

Do NOT point the install at the default GameData folder like it shows in the path window:
    ..\steam\steamapps\common\star wars battlefront ii\GameData <- NO
    Instead point it at:
    ..\steam\steamapps\common\star wars battlefront ii\ <- YES

If you screw up the above path it will create a GameData folder INSIDE your GameData folder and you'll have to move it up manually.

You may get an error at the end of the install when it tries to install the 1.3 patch. You can safely ignore it. A newer version of 1.3 is included anyway with Conversion Pack 2.2 patch in Step 2.

After the install, check to see if you have the following folders created:
    ..\steam\steamapps\common\star wars battlefront ii\GameData\addon\BF1
    ^ If you have that, the map installs all worked correctly

STEP 2. Download and install Conversion Pack 2.2 Patch
    http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack_Patch;98307

Same notes as above about the install path. Don't point it at GameData like it shows in the path window. Instead point it a directory above ..\star wars battlefront ii\

This will update a few files and also install the latest patch 1.3

MISC INFO

Even with everything installed, the game still thinks it is at the final 1.1 patch level. You should still be able to play vanilla SWBF2 and connect to any server without issue.

IdolNinja on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    I was telling Idol about Huge Hoth last night. Which has like 100 bots per side, or some similar crazy number. The Imperials start with 32 AT-ST's, and three to four AT-AT's, and the map is, as the name implies, huge.

The rebels can wreak utter havoc with their aircraft if they're clever, so all those vehicles are needed. Especially since the map uses space settings, which means that all aircraft get friend or foe identification for all infantry and vehicles in the game (And this really helps. When there's a 50v50 fire-fight brewing on the ground, it's damn hard to see what you're aiming at without it.).

There's also the pre-made conversion packs. Which add in things like an all original, canon specific KOTOR era (It has maps ranging from the Endar Spire, to the end of KOTOR2, to new Coruscant maps. Also, it has new units and heroes, apparently. Though I can't test this.), and 33 new maps.

I think one of the packs also amps up the existing Hoth map so that 50 bots can be on each side, too. Any large-scale map has the bots scaled upwards to make the game feel less empty.

Problem is, despite me spending a week trying to get the conversion packs and mods to work on my end, it's just not activating the new era, or new bot caps for the large sized maps. Which is a shame, because a few of the mods also include things like a texture upgrade, to make the game look nicer.

Apparently there's some issue with getting vista and windows 7 to recognize mods with BF2, that add in things like new era's/caps, and I just can't find a fix for it. The only source of info regarding it i've been able to find is filefront comments, and that's a wasteland of intelligence if i've ever seen one.

In other news, some folks don't know about this, but if you hit F4 while you have a mob targeted, it will join your squad. You can get a fair number of mobs to follow you around, and fight with you, this way.

This is really handy for assaulting heavily guarded areas. But keep in mind that if you're going for points to get the hero/new classes, their kills won't count towards yours.

Good god this sounds amazing. I so cannot wait for this stuff.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    I found a Big Hoth map but it wont show in the man lists for instant action :(

• zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    This conversion pack pretty much adds a bunch of stuff and doesn't modify anything detrimental to the game, correct? I can assume that all of the shenanigans will involve this pack at some point or another and it would be wise to install it?

• zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    IdolNinja wrote:
    Make sure to change the path to your Steam folder for the install and not the default program files path!

Do NOT point the install at the default GameData folder like it shows in the path window:
    Instead point it at:

If you screw up the above path it will create a GameData folder INSIDE your GameData folder and you'll have to move it up manually.

When I installed the two linked installers it had the paths correct, i.e., leaving GameData on the end of the path was the correct thing to do. Leaving it off caused it to dump all of the folders into the root folder instead of GameData.

When I installed the two linked installers it had the paths correct, i.e., leaving GameData on the end of the path was the correct thing to do. Leaving it off caused it to dump all of the folders into the root folder instead of GameData.

Those instructions probably need to be clarified. The installer automatically appends the GameData folder to the path after you browse and select the "star wars battlefront ii" folder. That's correct and where it should point. If you browse to the GameData folder and select it, it will incorrectly append a secondGameData folder inside the one you pointed it to.

The end path you see before confirming the install should be:
    ..\steam\steamapps\common\star wars battlefront ii\GameData\

edited July 2011
    This conversion pack pretty much adds a bunch of stuff and doesn't modify anything detrimental to the game, correct? I can assume that all of the shenanigans will involve this pack at some point or another and it would be wise to install it?
    From what I understand, things that add stuff like new eras are fine. Most of the decent mods only use this type of mod anyways.

Anything that alters the basic maps will keep you from joining a server, unless it has those same settings.
    IdolNinja wrote:
    Conversion Pack is a little weird to install, but it works perfectly and we had a server up with it and all of us playing on it a while back with all the new modes and maps. I'll see about digging up the install instructions I wrote up for it that everyone used to get it running.

EDIT:
    Found it in my sentbox. One thing to keep in mind is that there is a hard limit to how many extra maps you can have in the folder before the game just crashes. So you can't run, say, Conversion Pack AND Squeddie's 123 at the same time.

CONVERSION PACK INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

STEP 1. Download and install Conversion Pack 2.0
    http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack;94154#Download

Instead point it at:

You may get an error at the end of the install when it tries to install the 1.3 patch. You can safely ignore it. A newer version of 1.3 is included anyway with Conversion Pack 2.2 patch in Step 2.

After the install, check to see if you have the following folders created:
    ..\steam\steamapps\common\star wars battlefront ii\GameData\addon\BF1
    ^ If you have that, the map installs all worked correctly

STEP 2. Download and install Conversion Pack 2.2 Patch
    http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Battlefront_Conversion_Pack_Patch;98307

Same notes as above about the install path. Don't point it at GameData like it shows in the path window. Instead point it a directory above ..\star wars battlefront ii\

This will update a few files and also install the latest patch 1.3

MISC INFO

Even with everything installed, the game still thinks it is at the final 1.1 patch level. You should still be able to play vanilla SWBF2 and connect to any server without issue.

One problem with this is that I don't have the steam version of BF2. I have the original DVD. And I think this might be causing some problems.

Edit: Big Hoth is here.

http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com/file/Episode_V_Hoth;83889

That's the most up to date version I could find with google. A newer one might exist, but if so, I don't know about it.

One thing to keep in mind about Big Hoth is that the AI can get a bit wonky when you throw 200ish troops into the mix. Sometimes an AT-AT will hare off from the main assault and decide to chase a rebel riding a taun-taun, for example.

While this is pretty funny to watch (Imagine a panicky rebel being pursued by an implacable ten story tall mechanical monstrosity, explosions rocking the ground around the poor guy, and you'll get the picture. It's sadistic overkill taken to a fairly extreme level, and is something a really dickish player would do in MP.), it can get a bit annoying if you're playing seriously. Though I may be playing on an older version of the map, given that the version I just linked has comments saying that the pathing issues were supposedly fixed.

Big Hoth seems like a map that'd benefit from having one or two players taking "command' positions, given the overall size of the battle, and the map description even suggests that you use teamwork.

It also has a rather clever idea I don't see used too often, in that if you somehow manage to rack up 40 points (Not that hard, really, if you play the right roles.), you can play either Pilot Luke, or Vader. Of which there can only be one of each on the map at a time.

They're full fledged heroes with soldier style HP, meaning there's no decreasing HP over time, they can be healed by other players/troops/health drops, and get exponential damage and stat bonuses for kill streaks. In the right hands, they can be pretty devastating. Though their impact is somewhat subdued compared to normal games, in that the AI will gladly zerg you to death if you try to run ahead of the main fight to cap a point. Also, Vader's theme song plays when he's nearby on the field, I believe.

Also, just like in the vanilla Hoth map, Pilot Luke can flip his way onto the top of a AT-AT and slowly hack his way through it's neck, if he's a good enough player. It's a pain in the ass to snipe a good Luke off, too. Though the likelihood of Luke getting one in the dome before he can single-handedly decapitate an AT-AT is a bit higher on this map, given the sheer number of NPC's on the ground around the AT-AT's.

Vader can probably get up on top of an AT-AT to ride it like a very angry laser spewing chariot, too (For some reason, SW:BF is that rare game that lets you ride moving vehicles without sliding off, a feature that modern wargames still haven't perfected.). Which leads me to wonder if there could be a saber duel on top of one, if the two hero players met each other there.

The KOTOR conversion pack is in the post I quoted. BF2 Extreme is also another good mod (It includes high quality textures, modded caps, and new non-canon "fun eras" which sound pretty crazy.), but I believe it also modifies the game. So i'd be leery about using that without setting up a second install.

Archonex on
    Archonex wrote:

One problem with this is that I don't have the steam version of BF2. I have the original DVD. And I think this might be causing some problems.

Did you patch it first before trying to do the conversion pack install? I know the Steam version is full patched to the final patch level.

IdolNinja wrote:
    Archonex wrote:

Did you patch it first before trying to do the conversion pack install? I know the Steam version is full patched to the final patch level.
    I patched it to the latest version I could find on filefront. 1.1 I believe.

Archonex wrote:
    IdolNinja wrote:
    Archonex wrote:

That should be fine then... Weird.

edited July 2011
    IdolNinja wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    IdolNinja wrote:
    Archonex wrote:

Windows 7 has alot of issues with this version of the game if you have the DVD. I can't run the launcher without running it as an admin, for instance. Otherwise I get an error saying that I need to "update my Direct X" first. Running the actual game client directly works, though.

Also, I can't install the 1.3 patch. It actually refuses to install, last I checked, and claims the game does not exist on my hard-drive, despite choosing every possible folder for it as the path name.

Archonex on
    Archonex wrote:
    IdolNinja wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    IdolNinja wrote:
    Archonex wrote:

Windows 7 has alot of issues with this version of the game if you have the DVD. I can't run the launcher without running it as an admin, for instance. Otherwise I get an error saying that I need to "update my Direct X" first. Running the actual game client directly works, though.

Also, I can't install the 1.3 patch. It actually refuses to install, last I checked, and claims the game does not exist on my hard-drive, despite choosing every possible folder for it as the path name.

Could be a rights issue. Maybe you could try installing swbf2 to a different location other than the default program files folder.

How do I throw det packs farther when I'm an engineer class? Seems like other players can throw theirs farther but mine always just kind of plot right in front of me. :(

camo_sig2.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    While this is pretty funny to watch (Imagine a panicky rebel being pursued by an implacable ten story tall mechanical monstrosity, explosions rocking the ground around the poor guy, and you'll get the picture. It's sadistic overkill taken to a fairly extreme level, and is something a really dickish player would do in MP.), it can get a bit annoying if you're playing seriously.

no worries! :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Gonna be playing this a lot next week.

Tips?

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote:

Tips?

kill rebel scum!

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • M_WM_W Registered User regular
    So, I take it this mod needs to be installed on both the client and server sides?

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    M_W wrote:
    So, I take it this mod needs to be installed on both the client and server sides?

I think once it's installed you can play on normal servers as well as the modded servers. You still need to install it though to play on the modded servers.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote:

Tips?

If you have a joystick, it makes the space battles so much better. A gamepad would also work.

M_W wrote:

I think once it's installed you can play on normal servers as well as the modded servers. You still need to install it though to play on the modded servers.

Yep. That's correct.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    corky842 wrote:
    THEPAIN73 wrote:

Tips?

If you have a joystick, it makes the space battles so much better. A gamepad would also work.

Corkeh has it right. I've been using a joystick in the Space Battles and I love it. Climbing into a Tie Fighter and blowing up Idolninja's X-Wing was a joyous experience.

I am quivering with anticipation for the coming glory of our lord and server.

• local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    Heir wrote:
    How do I throw det packs farther when I'm an engineer class? Seems like other players can throw theirs farther but mine always just kind of plot right in front of me. :(

run forward and look up as you throw the detpack. its hard to do at first.

Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    I was about to set up a temporary server for the weekend, but yay power outages.

Are awards used in Multiplayer or only in singleplayer modes?

camo_sig2.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Believe they are segregated.

MP rewards are reset each game and only in MP.
    SP are just for SP.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Oh man, this is one of my all time favorite games. I'm so joining you guys.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    Just got word the server was delivered to the datacenter and I *believe* the ticket I received was to inform me they are racking it. It could be online in a few hours but we should know soon.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I'm downloading this now you bastards.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    Just a reminder, please see the OP to get invited to the Battlewangs Steam Group if you aren't already in. We use that to coordinate times and we have the chat room in steam going.

Feel free to drop by if you need some help or just want to chat.

Small change of plans on the server. The provider I am working with ran out of i5 servers, but have plenty of Q8400 Quads left. So I gave them the go ahead to give me one of those at a discounted price, so we can get things moving sooner.

If I held out for the i5 it could have been another week or two before they got more in stock - and damnit I want to play. Server should be online tomorrow!

• TanrarTanrar Registered User regular
    This is probably my favorite multiplayer game of all time. And I have no idea why.

1. It's laggy in multiplayer no matter what.
    2. The classes are imbalanced (*coughcough*Engineer*coughcough*)
    3. Controlling vehicles is... interesting?

But I just get this warm feeling in my heart whenever I play it. I have great memories. I loved Tattoine, hero version. I was awesome enough to play as Han Solo and still be able to kill most players. It was all about being able to get two headshots in a row while aiming in less than a second.

Is there still that bug that you can jump on a flying vehicle (snowspeeder) while it's grounded, and it will crash the moment someone tries to pilot it? That pretty much was all that happened on the rebel side during the Hoth mission.

steam_sig.png