As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LET'S PLAY] VVVVVV! Hmm? What's this? New levels?

167891012»

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There is some weird bug associated with saves, but I can't recall what. I've experienced this.

It's not a huge problem though. You can beat the whole thing in like an hour if you know where to go.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oh yeah. Now I remember. If your Flash cookie cache is cleared, your save goes bye bye. The game was programmed and distributed in Flash, hence the problem.

Fortunately, the redistributed game is in C, so this shouldn't continue to be a problem.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    So did the patch release on Steam yet? I'm trying to find out if you can check a game's version number through Steam or not.

Also, does the game erase your save when you shut it off? I booted the game back up yesterday to check if it was patched, and it put me right back at the beginning cutscene.

I ran into this problem because of a Firefox extension I had. It was deleting Flash cookies when I closed the browser and that's how (at least the older version of) VVVVVV saves its data. I can't remember the extension, though...BetterPrivacy I think.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Steam has the new version now.

This new level editor is making me appreciate how well designed the whole game is. Simple though they are, it's difficult to match the quality of the original levels and, more importantly, match the flow of moving between rooms.

I've also discovered a glitch which you can exploit to make one way transitions between rooms.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Man, why do they have this ultra-stretchy resolution and not 1920x1080? Can you customize that resolution in?

Was also hoping they'd add controller support. Xpadder works fine, but still.

Lastly, do I no longer have to worry about the saves being deleted when cleaning up cookies?

• Options
    Lastly, do I no longer have to worry about the saves being deleted when cleaning up cookies?

The game is not Flash, so it doesn't use Flash cookies anymore. C:\Users\[you]\Documents\VVVVVV\Saves

Side note, "C:\Users\[you]\Saved Games" AND "C:\Users\[you]\Documents\My Games" have been there for eons! Eons, I say! Why does nobody use them?!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Good to know.

Still wondering if there's a way to set up your own resolutions.

• Options
    Good to know.

Still wondering if there's a way to set up your own resolutions.

The AUTO mode in the fullscreen menu sets the game running at your screen's native resolution.

The developer's bug reporting thread is here.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote:

The game is not Flash, so it doesn't use Flash cookies anymore. C:\Users\[you]\Documents\VVVVVV\Saves

Side note, "C:\Users\[you]\Saved Games" AND "C:\Users\[you]\Documents\My Games" have been there for eons! Eons, I say! Why does nobody use them?!

Because everyone hates Vista.

Alt: Because no one appreciates the blood, sweat and tears I put into setting up properly functioning Folder Redirection schemes at work.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Bought game with the Humble Bundle, just beat it for the first time. 3:06, 817 deaths. It said the hardest room for me took 71 deaths but didn't say which dang room it was. Honestly, didn't find it that frustrating - all the rooms bar one seemed very fair, and it wasn't a patch on the difficulty of SMB. Even the Veni Vidi challenge was quite reasonable. Now, to get the trinkets!

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ruzkin wrote:
    Even the Veni Vidi challenge was quite reasonable.

I'm- But- You-
    ruzkin wrote:
    it wasn't a patch on the difficulty of SMB.

Oooohhhh. That explains it.

• Options
    Kayne Red Robe did get an email with the update, and now I have it. Thanks man!

Looks like I've got a lot of dying ahead of me.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Have you seen this yet?
    Supposedly it's done in one run with no deaths at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG54P89-qcU

• Options
    I hear he died from bending over to get his gum because of a deep vein thrombosis in his leg from sitting too long

Well, I beat the whole game again in just under an hour with all trinkets, and thought I'd give the gravitron a quick go

I made it up to 13.5 seconds, which I consider pretty smashingly good considering I am on vicodin thanks to an infection in my thumb

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    That. Is fucking crazy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Have you seen this yet?
    Supposedly it's done in one run with no deaths at all.

I have a hard time buying that that's not machine-assisted. Too many close calls and not enough hesitation. I'm skeptical of pretty much everything, though.

• Options
    If you're looking for interesting new levels to play, this category on Mr. Cavanagh's blog is a good place to start. Because if you can't trust the developer to find interesting levels, who can you trust?

Of course, he may be slightly biased. The Tower of Power may be designed around a complete lack of checkpoints, but I still can't past the first segment. :-P

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I'm finally playing this thanks to the humble bundle. so much fun.
    just spent 25ish minutes doing the veni vidi vici sequence, only time I got frustrated was hitting the very last possible spike right above the thing. :P

edit: finished:
    vvvvvv.jpg

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Right, so, I managed to finish the game a bit ago, get all the trinkets, get to the secret lab, get up to 10 seconds on the super gravitron. The fan designed levels are... mixed. The musician's levels in particular...

His stuff is downright vindictive. I did go and turn on invincibility at one point and I ran through the level for shits and giggles. Actually, invinciblity is pretty great for just exploring the levels. But anyway, I have finally finished Another Dimension. Some of the stuff was pretty impossible (I've got no idea how I managed to beat the Pole Dancing screen), and wow he was good at tricking me into killing myself and making stuff more difficult. But the music was pretty boss, and I manged to beat it. I've got no idea how you are supposed to get half the trinkets. Or even how you actually find them, but whatever. It was amazing.

• Options
    SoulEye's levels are pretty good. The whole thing starts off with a tougher variation on Veni Vedi Vici.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Oh his version of veni is easier. It's shorter . I'm stuck on his invisible wall level though.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius