As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 7/27/11: It Means A Safe Place For Goats!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
Detective #880, it sucks that the last issue is next month, because I can't say enough good things about the story.

Barbara Gordon (not Oracle, Jim's ex-wife) got infected with Joker Toxin, everyone's freaking out, and Dick finds Joker:

img123-1.jpg

img122-1.jpg

it was James who poisoned his own mother, and the last page is him right behind Babs choking her.

X-Men Schism #2, I think it lost me this issue, but I'll put that in the X-Men thread (it basically boils down to more super smart kids, only jacked up to an insane degree). But here seems to be the first split between Cyclops and Wolverine:

Quire arrives on Utopia requesting Asylum. And then Steve Rogers calls Scott looking for him:

img124-1.jpg

img125.jpg

TexiKen on

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wait, why would you bring back
    Quentin Quire?

MastaP on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Jesus, the art in the new issue of schism is terrible. Thank goodness they're rotating artists with each one.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    You think Frank Cho is terrible?

CYpGAPn.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    What the hell happened to Frank Cho?

I normally love his art but man, that is a terrible cyclops

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If I hadn't known that was Cho I would never have guessed it. Cyclops and Quire don't look good at all and there were no giant asses and not much in the rude titty department.

Give Quire some red hair and freckles and he'd pass as kin to Alfred E. Neuman.

I half expect him to throw out his catch phrase in a future issue.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't know what kind of brain problems you need to call that art "terrible". It might not be the best stuff Cho has done, but "terrible" is a word I reserve for shitstains like Greg Land.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Project: Superman 2 was still kind of a let down, but it had sort of a funny/horrible/gruesome moment.

Once again, no scans, just the spoiler.
    Project Zero somehow telepathically gives a burst of yellow sun energy to Krypto as he's being demonstrated as a weapon to Lionel Luthor. Krypto goes feral and literally rips most of the people in the room to shreds. Lionel tells his young son Lex to stay very still. Lex freezes up, hoping the dog won't attack him. Lionel throws the boy to Krypto, and Krypto bites right through one of his arms before maiming a 10-year-old Lex Luthor to death. While Krypto is ripping Lex up, a guard with what was apparently a Kryptonite shotgun blew Krypto apart.

Sort of over the top with the gore, but it explains Flashpoint Krypto's fate a bit more. Also, they imply that Supergirl's rocket was faulty, and that she completely burnt up on entry.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I don't think it's that the art is bad, it just more makes you wonder when did Cyclops start doing Meth.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's the whole reason he started his own country, meth's legal!

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Got my copy of Super Gods. I am happy!

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    So I really liked Action Comics 902, it felt like Cornell was trying to give Superman/AC an epic ending where we see why the character is so great from the perspective of Supes' 1950s Super-Science Dad persona.

Action Comics 903 almost immediately lost a lot of that momentum, but regained some of it in a very literal sense
    By having Superman fire himself out of a giant canon after telling Lois that he'll be back in time for dinner.

So. Fucking. Awesome.

It also has cameos from almost every team in the DCU, but unfortunately a lot of them make literally 0 sense in continuity. And shamefully Cornell tries to make Superman so awesome for the rest of the book that the plotting makes no sense either, and boils down to nothing but "I'm Superman so I already know your plan."

HadjiQuest wrote:
    Project: Superman 2 was still kind of a let down, but it had sort of a funny/horrible/gruesome moment.

Once again, no scans, just the spoiler.
    Project Zero somehow telepathically gives a burst of yellow sun energy to Krypto as he's being demonstrated as a weapon to Lionel Luthor. Krypto goes feral and literally rips most of the people in the room to shreds. Lionel tells his young son Lex to stay very still. Lex freezes up, hoping the dog won't attack him. Lionel throws the boy to Krypto, and Krypto bites right through one of his arms before maiming a 10-year-old Lex Luthor to death. While Krypto is ripping Lex up, a guard with what was apparently a Kryptonite shotgun blew Krypto apart.

Sort of over the top with the gore, but it explains Flashpoint Krypto's fate a bit more. Also, they imply that Supergirl's rocket was faulty, and that she completely burnt up on entry.

That is horrifying. Are they trying to outdo Ultimatum for stupid and disgusting comics?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    what the fuck, DC

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It's not as bad as you guys are thinking it is. Just showing you how vile Lex's dad is and how off their world is.

Also, it's used primarily to push Kal into turning against his captors. So he can release freaky dude whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Not that you wouldn't be able to tell with the treatment of Kal and all the messed up experiments they have been doing in that place.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Macro9 wrote:
    It's not as bad as you guys are thinking it is.
    They use Krypto to kill a child. I don't know how that can possibly be not as bad as it sounds.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Honestly, it does sound a lot worse than it is. Read the book.

Plus it isnt like this is the same Krypto we know.

It is a wild animal that has been experimented on and likely tortured

CYpGAPn.png
    It's still stupid and pointless besides the writer slapping you upside the head with THIS AIN'T THE SILVER AGE, KID

Not, really no.

That is you reading into it outside of what happens in the story.

It is a story about Superman being a government test subject, Krypto being a abused savage dog lines up with that and is not pointless at all.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Regarding FP: Project Superman
    I don't actually think Lex is dead

Other than that, I thought it was very good, a big step up from the first issue, the way the whole issue focuses around
    Kal's relationship with General Lane
    was actually interesting, and kind of sweet.

If only they keep up more of that, and less of Zero, I think I could end up calling this mini one of the two best coming out Flashpoint. Because Zero is rather Cliched, so having him as the veiwpoint character takes away from the more interesting moments, like the
    boy and his dog stuff
    . Unfortunately, we totally know he'll be back next issue

Blankzilla wrote:
    It is a story about Superman being a government test subject, Krypto being a abused savage dog lines up with that and is not pointless at all.
    This.

The writer might be able to justify it within the story, but I really dislike that the scene exists at all, regardless of the justification. I'm just not interested in that kind of story.

Well I mean

that is your taste, which is fine

but it isn't pointless and had nothing to do with the silver age

CYpGAPn.png
    Half of the fun of stories like these is seeing how radically different everything is.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I think the fact that this is how the fans get to see Krypto for maybe the last time prior to the reboot that's the problem. Good reasons aside, it's still (at the very least) an uncomfortable view of a character we may not get to see again for a good long while.

Oh come on

They never said Krypto was going away forever. It is just fans whining because he hasn't been in the first two issues of a brand new universe

Hell Johns even said he needed to check on the status of Krypto cause he wanted to use him in the Dex-Starr Valentine's Special

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Oh come on

They never said Krypto was going away forever. It is just fans whining because he hasn't been in the first two issues of a brand new universe

Hell Johns even said he needed to check on the status of Krypto cause he wanted to use him in the Dex-Starr Valentine's Special

I wouldn't mind seeing that. Did he mention any other DC-animals for the Special?

None that a know of. The special was originally planned for this year and involved a fight between Krypto and Dex-Starr but got delayed.

CYpGAPn.png
    That's a shame. I could picture Supergirl's and Power Girl's cats being part of it.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Half of the fun of stories like these is seeing how radically different everything is.

Seriously, the context of it being a temporarily alternate universe takes a lot of the potential disgust away. It's not like Krypto is an evil dog and murders children. He was clearly being manipulated by Subject Zero.

Lux on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote:
    That's a shame. I could picture Supergirl's and Power Girl's cats being part of it.

Sorry, those cats are normal, non super, earth cats. Suppose one of them could be a green lantern. Or some other color.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    And one of them could be Bat-cat.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    The last page of Secret Warriors #28 is pretty great.

"Son of a bitch is gonna go break his girl outta jail."

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Why would Johns need to check to see if Krypto is available when he was one of the guys who spearheaded this whole reboot?

Flashpoint just seems to be at the point where yes, everything is bad compared to normal, but they are pushing it up to such a degree with the darkness that it's not making me really care. Hell, let Krypto kill everyone, they all seem to be jerks anyway. Compared to something like Age of Apocalypse, that world seems less messed up than here, even counting that Generation Next mini. I think Cyborg is the only genuine good guy so far in the book outside of Barry. And maybe that Alexandra girl from Booster Gold? I fully expect Captain Thunder to have some hidden sadistic streak in him in Flashpoint #4 just to let us know this isn't our Captain Marvel.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote:
    Got my copy of Super Gods. I am happy!

Tell me more. I'm super-excited about it, but an interview I read recently suggests that the paperback will have a lot of material that they couldn't fit into the hardcover, so I'm thinking I'll wait for that. How's the book in general, though?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Supergods - half excellent comics analysis, half Terrence McKenna discussing membranes of reality and such.

I ripped through it in two days which was a bit much Morrison all at once. It was overall good, but the mix of analysis and memoir is odd, sometimes. On the other hand, he drills down on things like his dad's anti-war zines vs. Mom's sci fi with real emotional effectiveness.

Stuff like like the opening close read of superman's first appearance are really, really good. I think the bits about his epiphanies while parachuting on ayahuasca or the like will not be to every taste.

My only negative comment would be a general sense of "oh, I've read flex, read ASS, read a few interviews on each ... Lotta familiar stuff here."

desc on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    My moment of the week?

monkeyking.jpg

I cannot wait to "know this guy", bring on FI: Monkey King. But at the same time, screw you Iron Man 2.0! Making me want an Immortal Weapons ongoing all over again.

Ooh, and Venom #5 was great, very little action but some really great character building.

Edit: I LIE! I should have waited 'til I read Secret Warriors 28. Cos that is totally my MOTW.

"They should raise it higher". Fuck yeah, Nick Fury.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    Yeah, I finished Iron Man 2.0 and was like "whelp, that's cool n all but I guess I'm done buying you now" and did that with a couple books this past week.

However, the more I see of Danny Rand the more I want to read more. Any good collections out there?

PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
    The Immortal Iron Fist.

Read it.

Love it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    The Immortal Weapons mini was pretty good. Has that been collected or included in the Immortal Iron Fist collections?

galactussig-1.jpg