As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Earthrise] needs hype — badly! (A sci-fi MMORPG).

2»

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I went to the site to check this out, I don't know if it's just me but the official website for this game seems...slow and buggy. Takes a while for it to load up, some images won't load, and the video's can't be watched in embedded format. Again, could just be me, but it's not a good sign.

It's up for pre-order it seems, 50 bucks but as it stands trying to get info about the game proper off the site is like pulling teeth.

Color me skeptical that an investment into playing Earthrise won't just be flushing money down the toilet.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had the same issue with the site as you, Anon. Not a good sign at all.

Decoy on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, no one tried this at all eh? =)

vamen on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With a site like that, I don't know that'd I'd trust them with my credit card info.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played the beta. It was horrible. Was unable to progress very far in the tutorial at all.

Bad bad bad.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alas. The wait for a good sci-fi mmo continues

vamen on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With a site like that, I don't know that'd I'd trust them with my credit card info.

I highly agree. I wouldn't trust it at all. I was interested...but it quickly faded.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From what I read it sounds like sci fi Darkfall with all the same complaints of grinding and ganking

vhzod on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This game is on sale at Greenmangaming for $20 . I had no idea it was even released yet, it toally flew under my radar despite the fact I was keenly interested in it since I love me some sci-fi.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Strong suspicion it won't even be worth the $20.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thats what I am gathering on their official forums. There isnt so much douchebaggery on their forums compared to most official forums, their community actually seems pretty good, but its filled with "cautiously optimistic" and a what of people worried that the game is going to go belly up soon. Nobody is really ragging on the game for sucking or anything, just more that the game flew under the radar for basically the entire world, but that it has a lot of potential that isn't being reached and may never be.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    none of the gameplay videos of people playing the retail version really made me interested at all. also I wonder if they turned off physics for all the NPC corpses (not sure of the point of this feature in any game to start with, it always looks bad) if that'd reduce some of their server lag.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did they just completely forget to market this?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    think it was a super small european developer that did this. maybe they had just enough to advertise in their own country but thats it

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This game is now on sale on gamersgate for $14.

Elimination on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    http://www.play-earthrise.com/game/public/trial-register

14 day trial if anyone is keen to see how it plays.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    From what it seems, the game had a performance increase in the last patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8VxYTrokF4

I will check the game when I have the time.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Free trial thingie came in my email... downloading.

What gimps, its only available as a torrent haha.

edit..... woooooooo, this is really really unoptimized. It looks pretty and I think there is some deep potential here. But suffering from the same old stuff 90% of the unheard of MMOs are. The shooting though, I think its good, its different... controls are really whacked.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    hmmm loading speeds, just bad. I think thats really the issue, anything streamloaded is done crappy.

And I am running two raptor drives with mirroring... which loads shit fast... not as fast as a SSD, but shit it should be quicker than this haha.

edit: ooph... just to buggy. I played Vanguard on launch and was able to enjoy the fun game under the bugginess. And with this I can see there is a fun game under there someplace, with deep character mechanics in a sandbox crafting world... just its to covered up by shit right now to be fun.

Also.. you do aim your gun, and it seems ok, but when you dont aim at something your bullets go straight. If you aim at something, it seems they get dice rolled and can then miss. Its silly. But you can freely just shoot like in an FPS. Has a weird toggle between locked camera and normal MMO controls. All around just needs some polish... spent 10 minutes shooting bats where my shots would fly straight up off the screen when I aimed at the bat, but then when I aimed totally off the target, shoots straight as can be.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    hmmm loading speeds, just bad. I think thats really the issue, anything streamloaded is done crappy.

And I am running two raptor drives with mirroring... which loads shit fast... not as fast as a SSD, but shit it should be quicker than this haha.

edit: ooph... just to buggy. I played Vanguard on launch and was able to enjoy the fun game under the bugginess. And with this I can see there is a fun game under there someplace, with deep character mechanics in a sandbox crafting world... just its to covered up by shit right now to be fun.

Also.. you do aim your gun, and it seems ok, but when you dont aim at something your bullets go straight. If you aim at something, it seems they get dice rolled and can then miss. Its silly. But you can freely just shoot like in an FPS. Has a weird toggle between locked camera and normal MMO controls. All around just needs some polish... spent 10 minutes shooting bats where my shots would fly straight up off the screen when I aimed at the bat, but then when I aimed totally off the target, shoots straight as can be.

That is odd, why have free control targetting if to do damage it still has to roll a dice?

• Options
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    That is odd, why have free control targetting if to do damage it still has to roll a dice?
    Well, it was so buggy I couldnt tell 100% if it was rolling a dice. But it seemed to specifically have some shots hit or miss as though dice roll was going on.

I see tons of potential in this game... just lots of bugs to fix first. Its looks great on max settings, but terribly optimized. Typical new MMO rush stuff from a developer with little funds.

For what its worth, the shooting mechanics felt better than Tabula Rasa. A bit more Planetside feeling where it is real time aiming, but a random element in there... again though it might have just been the bugginess making it feel look like a dice roll.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯