As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In which smarter people help me debug my new-rig BSODS

JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotistRegistered User regular
So i've built my new comp with a Gigabyte H67M-B2-D3, 4GB of ram, an i5 2400, Radeon 5750, Barracuda 1TB HDD, and 550(?)W PSU.
I've gotten windows up and installed, and everything is working great.

Except these damn BSODS. They're all SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, or BAD_POOL_HEADER(just once) errors.

I've reseated the ram and completely reinstalled my graphics card and audio drivers, and BSODS have stopped happening every few minutes after some restarts.
However, I left my comp on last night and when I woke up there was another BSOD.

Since then, I've only had the one BAD_POOL_HEADER error, which I just got randomly while using Chrome (which also keeps giving me a shitload of 'oh snap' errors). I have since
rebooted into "last good configuration", but don't know if this will do me any good.

I used a tool called WhoCrashed, as well as faultwire, and they both said that the errors i have are often driver problems. Faultwire recommended last good config for all three errors.
It might be worth mentioning that this shit might be over, I keep thinking that it's done and then it crashed overnight and crashed randomly during use.
I have a windows skydrive full of my .dmp files, i'll edit it in in a sec.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1978bdde379d6dde&resid=1978BDDE379D6DDE!103

VyQGM.jpg
Jerkbot on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    It could be a driver issue. Were the only drivers you installed for your graphics/audio? You may need to install chipset drivers as well. And were the drivers you DID install from the disc? Or updated versions from the internet?

Worse comes to worse, you can try installing Windows. If you're still getting the errors, though, it sounds like it might be hardware. Either Memory or Hard disk related.

• Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    I checked pretty much all of my drivers to make sure they were up to date, and I completely removed and reinstalled the ATI drivers.
    I was about to post and say that it seemed like no errors were happening anymore, but then i got a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error a couple minutes ago.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    Try memtest. Always the first port of call with a BSOD. Faulty RAM can cause all kinds of weird errors, even ones that seem completely unrelated to memory.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    as i barely had anything on the disk anyway, I formatted/reinstalled. As i was installing drivers, Chrome, and Steam, I got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION again.
    Ran memtest for a good hour and got no errors with 2 full passes through all tests.
    Checked in the bios, the RAM is correctly timed, clocked, and powered.
    I'm proceeding with normal use right now, if it starts happening again I think i'll format and see if it crashes when left on with no drivers installed at all. If anyone has a method i can use to find which driver (if it is one) is acting up, I'l try it out.
    SFC /scannow and chkdsk also come back clean. I keep thinking that maybe I've fixed it and then it'll happen again.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    Just happened again. I'm really thinking it's bad RAM, but none of the tests i've done support it.
    Guess i'll leave memtest on overnight. I'll take it into the local parts store in the morning.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Does it BSOD in Safe Mode? That will usually tell you if it's a driver issue.

• Options
    okay holy shit i was literally just about to post this.
    I can't be sure, because it's generally been taking a few hours to bsod each time.
    But i've been using it pretty heavily in safemode+networking tonight and it seems to have stopped.
    Gonna use safe mode tonight/tomorrow, if I don't get any blue screens then i'll start looking into driver issues again.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    okay, it's been left on overnight and used extensively in safe mode and I think it's a driver. It was always happening while I was on the internet/using steam, and was causing Chrome and IE to crash a lot, so I thought it might be a network driver. It BSOD'ed even when i removed the network device and had it auto reinstall, though. I did, however, forget to remove the driver software, so I uninstalled and redownloaded that. I'm in safe mode, and i'm about to go back to normal mode and see if that's fixed it.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    Well, look like it's turned out that one of my ram slots is bad.
    When i tried to take out one of the sticks to test just one, the comp wouldn't boot.
    When i replaced both sticks, I only registered 2GB of RAM in the BIOS.

After fiddling with which ram went in which slot, the stick that I thought might be bad works just fine-as long as it's not in this one slot.
    This is going to be the second fucking time i'm gonna have to send this mobo back-first one had a shot ethernet port.
    I don't know why it was bluescreening, though-perhaps the slot was going toward failing the whole time.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Bluescreening can easily be that memory slot doing weird things.

• Options
    Well god damn it i just got a new motherboard, rebuilt it, left it on overnight and after maybe 30 seconds of using it in the morning, it crashed with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    why haven't you memtested yet?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    I have memtested.
    They always come back good. I noticed this morning that they were generally happening when i was watching Youtube/using flash apps, so I disabled hardware acceleration in Flash. I got no blue screens all the rest of the day, but just now got werfault.exe error popups when exiting WinRAR, which then caused me to bluescreen with NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM.
    I'm doing a hard drive test now. I'm tired of thinking i've found the solution and then having it get fucked up again, so I think i'm gonna finally take it in in the morning. I've been dumb to not just have done that in the first place.

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Memtest isn't foolproof, anyways. It will on occasion not show errors when you have bad RAM. It's a good place to start, but even if you get no errors, it doesn't mean everything is fine.

If you've reinstalled drivers/operating system, and are still having issues, it sounds like a hardware issue. You could have a dead/dying hard drive, or just bad RAM, which even a new motherboard can't fix.