As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who are you?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    That's way more interesting than batman, sammich.

• AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

I am...
    really looking forward to the new Deus Ex.

PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    It is very easy to fall into the trap of identifying too closely with one's profession, then as the OP questions, what happens when you stop doing that (say due to lay-off). Ugh

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I AM YOUR FATHER

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote:
    It is very easy to fall into the trap of identifying too closely with one's profession, then as the OP questions, what happens when you stop doing that (say due to lay-off). Ugh

Yep.

I don't think it's entirely a bad thing, though. If you spend 30-50 hours a week doing a thing then that's going to be a big part of who you are.

I just get a little prickly, personally, when I feel like it limits me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    It depends on the nature of your work I think. I'm a graphic artist and I identify heavily by it. if I were unemployed I still would. can't say the same of my time as a dishwasher.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Kalkino wrote:

Yep.

I don't think it's entirely a bad thing, though. If you spend 30-50 hours a week doing a thing then that's going to be a big part of who you are.

I just get a little prickly, personally, when I feel like it limits me.

I hear that. Some jobs or careers are more inhibiting than others, I'm thinking of the traditional professions here, as they have collegial status, long training and a body of external expectation. So one may be known as an ex doctor/lawyer/accountant/teacher rather than say whatever it is you are doing right now.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    I am a mother to a 10 year old and about to be one to a newborn.
    I am from the west coast of Canada and love it here.
    I am a wife who hates to do wifley things.
    I am a geek who likes shitty movies.
    I am a rabbit owner/breeder/exhibitor.
    I love snow!
    I am a voracious reader.
    I like to drive fast and I live somewhere with no real Highways.
    I am going to spend our late honeymoon/30th birthdays at PAX and am so looking forward to it.
    I am 32 and still Daddy's girl.
    I miss my mother.
    I hate dumb people yet I work with the public.

To make it shorter, I am the sum of what has happened before and will change as things go on.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Mom2Kat wrote:

Awww, congratulations. Does this mean there will be an ampersand in your username?

Speaking of careers and how it influences perceptions of Self and so forth, one of the saddest things I ever heard was during my summer internship in DC. A person literally introduced themselves by their job title before their name. Like, just chatting things up; not at a podium or anything where it would be slightly less awful.

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    I can consider myself lucky that my parents are reasonably wealthy

yeah I might have to see if the benevolent overlords would change that for me in Feb.

Yeah I work at least 40hrs at my job and hell it has decent benefits and we live fairly well between the 2 of us, But I never really thought of it as defining me. I am so much more than just that. I just can't see introducing myself as Certified Assistant Manager Diane, I would usually use my name and if I get a look mention my husband or his family. But that is because it is small town h and we love to play 6 degrees. Maybe it is a good thing that my job iskind of menial and could almost be done by a well trained simian if it keeps me from becoming my job. And I still get comments from co-workers and family that I care to much about the damn thing and can't let it go! But I sure don't Identify by it. I would much rather be known as the crazy rabbit lady (thanks to a good buddy of mine with the same hobby) or that woman who can really talk tech.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Damn, this isn't a Robocop thread.

I don't care who I am as long as I'm happy with who I am.

So I guess a good father, loving husband, hard worker, avid gamer, and sexaholic.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote:
    Mom2Kat wrote:

Awww, congratulations. Does this mean there will be an ampersand in your username?

Speaking of careers and how it influences perceptions of Self and so forth, one of the saddest things I ever heard was during my summer internship in DC. A person literally introduced themselves by their job title before their name. Like, just chatting things up; not at a podium or anything where it would be slightly less awful.

How do you feel about people who introduce themselves as Dr. XYZ, then? XYZ, PhD? Prof. XYZ?

Also: if we're doing a sincere 'collection of facts about me that help to define me as a person'...

I'm a second-generation Pakistani immigrant (though born in Karachi), who
    Is 6'2"
    Lives in one of the most Hispanic parts of the country,
    Speaks Spanish fluently, and Urdu passably,
    Who spends his free time listening to NPR podcasts and reading Fareed Zakaria on his Kindle,
    Has been going to the gym three times a week for two years (and can bench 205 for 5!),
    Has visited Pakistan four times in 23 years, most recently in March of this year,
    Became convinced on his last visit there that he needed to pursue a career in international relations (and specifically in third-world development),
    Is planning to apply to several Ivy League Master's programs once he finishes his BA,
    Has (regrettably) spent $4600 since 2005 on parts for his gaming PC, according to NewEgg,
    And who (after thinking he was totally, absolutely, unflinchingly opposed to the idea)... has consented to an arranged marriage.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mom2Kat, I think you've mentioned your rabbits before. What breed are they? Do you want to post pictures?

I strongly self-identify by my love of animals. I've lived with cats almost my entire life and I'm particularly good with cats; it's not unheard of for me to go over to a friend's house where they have a feral cat in the backyard who comes up and lets me pet him while they look on and say, "Wow! He always runs away from humans!" It's not just cats, though - dogs, horses, rodents, rabbits; animals in general just like me and I like them. More than people, really.

I kind of wish that didn't get me tagged as a "furry" but whatever. I can't stop other people from making those jokes. *shrug*

Anyway, it's not the only important thing about me, but I would be an essentially different person if I didn't bond with animals the same way.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Hamurabi wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Mom2Kat wrote:

How do you feel about people who introduce themselves as Dr. XYZ, then? XYZ, PhD? Prof. XYZ?

I'm not fond of it, and outside of a professional setting haven't really encountered anyone refer to themselves that way.

However I wasn't talking about a job title as those, which are actually titles, but job title as in a job description. I can't remember what it actually was, but it was something like "I'm the researcher on the transportation sub-committee, Craig. It's nice to meet you." Though maybe it was VP of something, I really don't remember. I just remember feeling kind of weird and suppressing a o_O at the time.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    This reminds me; I was at an electronica event this recent New Year's Eve and saw a dude wearing one of those jackets with the elbow patches, like you'd expect from a college professor or something. I complimented him on it, and then asked what he did (implying '...for a living')

He bristled and replied 'what do you do?'

And I'm just like 'I dunno, try to work on my social anxiety by engaging strangers in conversation' :oops:

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I am....

Really enjoying my 30s. Old enough to do what I want, work out a lot of my shit, and realize what an idiot I was earlier in my life. Oh for a time machine to go tell younger me "chill the fuck out, you will be OK, and have a lot more fun when you do!"

I define myself by my the combination of my beliefs, thoughts and actions.

:so_raven:
    TL,DR wrote:
    This reminds me; I was at an electronica event this recent New Year's Eve and saw a dude wearing one of those jackets with the elbow patches, like you'd expect from a college professor or something. I complimented him on it, and then asked what he did (implying '...for a living')

He bristled and replied 'what do you do?'

And I'm just like 'I dunno, try to work on my social anxiety by engaging strangers in conversation' :oops:

People like to throw these little social presumptions back in your face to show how progressive they are. I'm not saying they're wrong, necessarily, but a polite "Well, I'm a <job title>, but don't you think it's kind of a weird question to ask someone?" works much better than "Pfft, how presumptuous of you, to frame me by my profession."

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    There are aspects to me that have been constant and unlikely to change. And there are other things that define me that are temporary. For the constants:

I am a survivor. It's a loaded word for me because it means I've made a lot of mistakes. It means that I have had my fallibility demonstrated to me quite clearly.
    I am a bisexual. I have loved men and women. It's meant some trials and issues but also some happy memories.
    I am angry. I was angry as a little kid, I grew into an angry teen, became an angry adult. I'd like to change that part of me. It's exhausting. I spend a lot of time trying to be calm and centered, but it's like a small island of calm on an ocean of angry.

Things about me that are subject to change.

I'm a security consultant. I didn't mean to wander into this job but I kinda fell into it.
    I'm in love.

Well that is one of my bucks in my pic, he is a blue. I don't have any breeding right now but we ( the friend who got me into it) my daughter and I are working with polish dwarfs and my daughter would love to do Dwarf hotots or Dutchs but we do not have the space for the amount of animals you need for breeds that requier specific markings. We might be doing somthing with either Netherland Dwarfs (not looking forward to having to deal with penuts) or mini Rex. I want a fixed Rex for my next House rabbit!

Anyway that is kind of off topic.

It is neat to see how our subset of the population of many countries view themselves. Seems the older we get we seem to realize how much we have changed and will keep changing. Guess wisdom does come with age!

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    popeye-yam-spin.gif

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I am a collection of brain states caused by neural impulses and chemicals. Most of these brain states are created by my experiences throughout life.

Am I the same person I was 10 years ago? Not really.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • MeatballerMeatballer __BANNED USERS regular
    We are all a piece of the universe trying to understand itself.

From stardust we came, and to stardust we will return.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    I'm a algorithm whose source code I do not possess, and whose underlying behavior I can only guess at by observing some of the things you have mentioned...

I rather like this answer.
    I was told that I was the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

But I'm not sure I'm buying it.
    Yeah, these two. :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I'm a sapient mass of self-replicating chemical reactions. I'm also a member of the human species. While what I like, what I do, what I consume, what I produce, how I act, and how I feel can change rapidly, but nothing can alter that baseline.

• SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    I'm this guy.

SANY0007-1.jpg

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am one.
    I am the hopes of two.
    I am thought of by many.
    I am needed by two.
    I am.

MichaelLC on
    Speaker wrote:
    I'm this guy.
    SANY0007-1.jpg

You type impressively well for having such tiny fingers, even if you're being held aloft by a eunuch.

• SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    My handler has very steady arms.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Has been going to the gym three times a week for two years (and can bench 205 for 5!)
    It took you two years to get to 205? What's up with that? Major injury? Weren't doing bench at the beginning?

edited July 2011
    Hoz wrote:
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Has been going to the gym three times a week for two years (and can bench 205 for 5!)
    It took you two years to get to 205? What's up with that? Major injury? Weren't doing bench at the beginning?

I'm dumb, and maybe three months into my first bulk last year, some old lady at work said "Hey, you're getting chubby" in a cheerful tone, and I basically stopped eating and lost like thirty pounds in maybe two months. I was on a year-long cut from there to December (in my foolishness, sometimes running on 1k calories/day). I was relatively lean, but I'd also lost most of the muscle mass I'd built up while bulking. Back in December, I decided I was tired of being skinny and started bulking again. Then I was in Pakistan from mid-February to March, where I lost 10 lbs. and a ton of strength. Got back on the wagon and was verging on a 225x5 bench when I got all emo again about my lovehandles and stopped bulking. For the moment I'm on a moderate calorie deficit until school in the fall, when a regular MWF schedule will gimme a chance to get back to strength work at the uni gym.

tl;dr: I wanna get big and strong but I'm too big a pussy to put on some fat.

Hamurabi on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Oh, you know, just some guy.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    There is no trace of Wayne Alexander in this thread, I am disappoint.

I will answer it as if he'd asked me, I am.

Stupid vorlons

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm always changing. To know who I am would require me to stand still long enough to find out.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    I'm an unpaid intern coasting on upper-middle class privilege while I'm able.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I'm the guy that read the thread title and had a Babylon 5 flashback.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    "I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger. I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night. Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power! ... I AM BEOWULF"

Well, aside from that, I'm also coasting in this life trying to achieve the most stimulition to my brain while trying to sustain this life style for the longest time. I would like to be a hearld of social change where I live, and I am working to that end with ever so small steps.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am just turned 30.
    I am an american girl in a kiwi world.
    I am still my Daddy's Princess.
    I am Jewish by thought, by choice, and by tradition and culture.
    I am the sum of my past, and all the mistakes and errors and trials and tribulations and joy that happened then.
    I am she who has learned from being on the bottom, just how sweet it can be to reach for the top.
    I am spoiled by my father, my mother, and my partner.
    I am a lucky woman to be where I am, with who I am.
    I am only just now starting to figure out where I want to be, and who I want to be.
    I am wildly, madly in love.
    I am a modern day woman who's liberated enough to know that I like being a 'housewife'
    I am a loyal friend til the end, and the 'Big Sister' you never knew that you needed.
    I am, for the first time since I can remember, well and truly completely happy.
    I am loved by another equal to my love for him for the first time ever.
    I am a survivor, a lover, a princess, a daughter, a sister, and a partner.
    I am 20 months quit of nicotine.
    I am out of ideas.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I am Sancho.

And there are many Jeffs in the world, and many Toms as well. But I am Sancho.

Are you Sancho? No you are not. Neither is Scott Baio Sancho. Frank Gifford is not Sancho. But I... am Sancho.

sig.gif