As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Goods, services, and their [CHAT]

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    South host wrote:
    My sister can see the USS Intrepid from her office window. So whenever they put Enterprise on it, she can just look out her window and see a goddamn space shuttle any time she wants.

Your sister can go suck on a lemon - the space shuttle is nothing more than a hollow husk turned into a monument.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm baffled by the mind set where someone writing a check is a huge annoyance.

You've never been stuck behind an old lady in the express lane of a grocery store while she takes 15 minutes to write a check, have you? It took me less time to shop, get to the checkout lane, put my groceries in, pay, get my receipt, and walk out to my car then it did for her to write the fucking thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Depends on your goals skipster.

well yes

my fitness goal is to go from 205 to 185 and be able to wear wife beater shirts again without this little tum

but bjj is nice because it also offers fun, potential new pals, and the ability to utterly crush anyone ever if they vex me

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Preacher wrote:
    I think its because you have had to get used to it, where as people on the internet always act super shocked when someone is sarcastic/not being honest.

SPERG STORY TIME

Once at a board game night I was playing some game for the first time and I was pondering my next move, and someone else said "you have to move like this, it's in the rules".

I heard the obvious sarcasm in his voice, but I was concentrating so intently on the board game that my self-trained "not sure if serious" sense wasn't paying attention, so I did what he said.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    People who go ten under in the passing lane. Fuck them. Fuck them. FUCK THEM. Death is too easy for them. They should have fresh papercuts opened in between their toes daily before being scrubbed down with a rock salt exfoliator.

After their daily pure capsaicin eyedrops that is.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I want to play inFamous 2 but my brother's playing it I wanna tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn. [/FirstWorldProblems]

• South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    This shouldn't necessarily be punishable by death, but a hefty prison term and maybe chemical castration or something:

Picture, if you will, two lanes merging into a single lane. Everybody in the right-hand lane has slowed down and is creeping leftwards.

Then some douchebag drives on the right-hand shoulder to pass all of the mergers so he can be at the front of the merging line.

The worst part about these situations is when they give you plenty of warnings, all "LANE ENDS 3 MILES" "LANE ENDS 2 MILES" "LANE ENDS 1 MILE" and no one changes lanes, just keep going straight.

Then the lane actually ends, and everyone is suddenly like 'GODAMMIT I NEED TO CHANGE LANES RIGHT THE FUCK NOW LET'S ALL FUCK UP THE TRAFFIC FLOW AND TAKE 30 MINUTES TO MOVE A GODDAMN 1/4 MILE'

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    bleh

more group therapy

see you later, [chat]

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Guy on a motorcycle was going 100+ and weaving last night. He blew past me close enough to rattle my windows and spike my heart rate. Then I saw him pulled over down the road.

Feels good.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Because they never take steps to make the process faster, like signing the check and writing the date before getting in line. Sometimes they don't even have their fucking checkbook in their hand until the cashier is done ringing them up. And then they're always slow as shit.

"Oh, the total is $17.32? Oh, I guess I'll pay by check. Hold on while I fish through my purse for my checkbook. Do you have a pen? How much is the total again? $17.32? Okay. What's today's date? Okay. Seven... twenty-eight... two thousand... eleven. Safe... way... What was the total again? Okay. Seventeen... dollars..."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    South host wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    This shouldn't necessarily be punishable by death, but a hefty prison term and maybe chemical castration or something:

Picture, if you will, two lanes merging into a single lane. Everybody in the right-hand lane has slowed down and is creeping leftwards.

Then some douchebag drives on the right-hand shoulder to pass all of the mergers so he can be at the front of the merging line.

The worst part about these situations is when they give you plenty of warnings, all "LANE ENDS 3 MILES" "LANE ENDS 2 MILES" "LANE ENDS 1 MILE" and no one changes lanes, just keep going straight.

Then the lane actually ends, and everyone is suddenly like 'GODAMMIT I NEED TO CHANGE LANES RIGHT THE FUCK NOW LET'S ALL FUCK UP THE TRAFFIC FLOW AND TAKE 30 MINUTES TO MOVE A GODDAMN 1/4 MILE'

It's worse when the construction workers didn't put up warning signs and suddenly there's a sign that says, "LANE ENDS RIGHT NOW MERGE!!"

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular

well yes

my fitness goal is to go from 205 to 185 and be able to wear wife beater shirts again without this little tum

but bjj is nice because it also offers fun, potential new pals, and the ability to utterly crush anyone ever if they vex me

It sounds like you want to do BJJ

so do BJJ

because its what you want to do.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It wouldn't be, if they pulled out their checkbook and had everything except the amount filled out by the time the checker started scanning their stuff.

But that's not what happens. They wait until their stuff has been completely checked out, and then start digging around in their purse for their fucking checkbook.

Seriously, I want a store to just make it policy that anyone who does that, the checker just sweeps their groceries to the floor and tells them to go to the back of the line again.

Thanatos on

well yes

It sounds like you want to do BJJ

so do BJJ

because its what you want to do.

yes

I mean, I am just kind of musing

here, with friends

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    mrflippy wrote:
    South host wrote:
    Feral wrote:

It's worse when the construction workers didn't put up warning signs and suddenly there's a sign that says, "LANE ENDS RIGHT NOW MERGE!!"

They did that near me, then finally put up the sign. And left it up after they finished. It's been there two days now.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:

Because they never take steps to make the process faster, like signing the check and writing the date before getting in line. Sometimes they don't even have their fucking checkbook in their hand until the cashier is done ringing them up. And then they're always slow as shit.

"Oh, the total is $17.32? Oh, I guess I'll pay by check. Hold on while I fish through my purse for my checkbook. Do you have a pen? How much is the total again? $17.32? Okay. What's today's date? Okay. Seven... twenty-eight... two thousand... eleven. Safe... way... What was the total again? Okay. Seventeen... dollars..."

I think the actual issue here is old people.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    South host wrote:
    Feral wrote:

mainphpg2viewcorev.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:

You've never been stuck behind an old lady in the express lane of a grocery store while she takes 15 minutes to write a check, have you? It took me less time to shop, get to the checkout lane, put my groceries in, pay, get my receipt, and walk out to my car then it did for her to write the fucking thing.

If they're old I don't give a shit because they're old.

Its like being mad at a baby for babbling.

If I got mad over little shit like a rare delay while someone fills out a check I'd be better off never leaving the house.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    It wouldn't be, if they pulled out their checkbook and had everything except the amount filled out by the time the checker started scanning their stuff.

But that's not what happens. They wait until their stuff has been completely checked out, and then start digging around in their purse for their fucking checkbook.

Seriously, I want a store to just make it policy that anyone who does that, the checker just sweeps their groceries to the floor and tells them to go to the back of the line again.

I just laughed out loud.

I totally agree with you.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote:
    South host wrote:
    Feral wrote:

At least that is understandable for messing up traffic, and it's only the fault of the construction crew and some planners. But when traffic is messed up for no reason other than hundreds of people, all day long, are too dumb to think ahead more than 30 seconds, so just keep driving straight ahead? It just seems like a metaphor conjured up to warn of people who meet an easily avoidable fate.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Okay guys I'm going to go relax a bit. I updated my resume, uploaded it to Monster, and applied for unemployment.

Thanatos wrote:

this is not related to writing checks

but you will like this I think

I worked at a gas station for a year and a half after I flunked out of college

and two of my friends were the assistant managers, and the manager was an elderly lady (70ish) who wasn't really involved

and people treat the employees at gas stations like dog shit for some reason

so when someone would come in with some crumpled, sweaty dollar bills and a ton of change, and dump it on the counter, and then walk away

saying over their shoulder, "put that on pump 3"

I'd just scoop it up and drop it over the counter on the floor in front of them

and then when they were all furious, I'd kick them out

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I'm just glad nobody over here uses checks (anymore? I've never seen one being used).

Your E-mail Address has won (Seven Hundred and Fifty Thousand Great British Pounds only) GBP750,000 in the Mozilla Firefox Online promo.

You so funny, spammers.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I get mad at people for being old for not doing the right thing and walking out into the wilderness to die like our ancestors.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Oh god yes. Fuck those people.

I hate those mother fuckers! Especially when its at a light where the right lane ends and they zip up there and cut in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Saw someone nearly cause a car accident from far too close for comfort on the way home.

Thanatos wrote:

Werd.

Haphazard wrote:
    I'm just glad nobody over here uses checks (anymore? I've never seen one being used).

I have vague memories of some people paying with checks when I was like 6-7.

Back then they had these big heavy monstrosities behind the register that they pulled out and then put the check in and it went CHA-CHUNK and embossed stuff on the check.

bowen wrote:
    If they're old I don't give a shit because they're old.

Its like being mad at a baby for babbling.

If I got mad over little shit like a rare delay while someone fills out a check I'd be better off never leaving the house.
    Being old does not entitle you to be an inconsiderate fuckhead, and I'm tired of this attitude that somehow having made it to a certain age without dying means you have an excuse for just not giving a shit about other people.

I'm ready for those death panels Obamacare was supposed to give us. Where do I apply? Does the position pay? Hell, I don't care if I have to pay to do it, I want in.

I hate these job emails. "We have a client that needs a SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR in the NEW YORK CITY area. Requires FIVE year experience blah blah blah."

Is it that hard to make it not so obviously a mass mailed madlib?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    I get mad at people for being old for not doing the right thing and walking out into the wilderness to die like our ancestors.

This too. They should have their social security taken away.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I feel like trying to be this reasonable and easy-going in D&D is somehow infractable.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:

Shops don't accept cheques in the UK anymore.

Even when they did, they had cheque printers. You'd just feed the blank cheque into it and it would print the date, payee, and amount in the relevant places, then the person paying only had to sign it, swipe their cheque guarantee card, and sign the guarantee receipt.

urahonky wrote:
    Okay guys I'm going to go relax a bit. I updated my resume, uploaded it to Monster, and applied for unemployment.

also http://www.dice.com/

Ludious wrote:
    You know, I really don't have a problem with old people; I have a problem with the entitlement complex that a lot of old people seem to have.

It's not universal, but Jesus Christ is it ever an epidemic.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:

:^:

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Haphazard wrote:

Back then they had these big heavy monstrosities behind the register that they pulled out and then put the check in and it went CHA-CHUNK and embossed stuff on the check.

I've seen those! In films and foreign lands but never at home. Weird, have to ask my parents about it.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The latest xkcd is pretty interesting.

Link for size

Echo wrote:
    Haphazard wrote:

How do you pay your rent?

rent payments are the only thing I use checks for.

This discussion has been closed.