As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goods, services, and their [CHAT]

196979899100102»

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Haphazard wrote:
    I'm just glad nobody over here uses checks (anymore? I've never seen one being used).

I have vague memories of some people paying with checks when I was like 6-7.

Back then they had these big heavy monstrosities behind the register that they pulled out and then put the check in and it went CHA-CHUNK and embossed stuff on the check.

Credit cards used to be processed with those. It takes a carbon-copy image of the info in raised type on the card.

In America, at least, every business is still required to have one of those, and if you demand they use it instead of electronically swiping your card, they must comply... you know, because in America, being a dick isn't just a good idea. It's the law!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    This is not related to writing checks

but you will like this I think

I worked at a gas station for a year and a half after I flunked out of college

and two of my friends were the assistant managers, and the manager was an elderly lady (70ish) who wasn't really involved

and people treat the employees at gas stations like dog shit for some reason

so when someone would come in with some crumpled, sweaty dollar bills and a ton of change, and dump it on the counter, and then walk away

saying over their shoulder, "put that on pump 3"

I'd just scoop it up and drop it over the counter on the floor in front of them

and then when they were all furious, I'd kick them out
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    South host wrote:
    mrflippy wrote:
    South host wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    This shouldn't necessarily be punishable by death, but a hefty prison term and maybe chemical castration or something:

Picture, if you will, two lanes merging into a single lane. Everybody in the right-hand lane has slowed down and is creeping leftwards.

Then some douchebag drives on the right-hand shoulder to pass all of the mergers so he can be at the front of the merging line.

The worst part about these situations is when they give you plenty of warnings, all "LANE ENDS 3 MILES" "LANE ENDS 2 MILES" "LANE ENDS 1 MILE" and no one changes lanes, just keep going straight.

Then the lane actually ends, and everyone is suddenly like 'GODAMMIT I NEED TO CHANGE LANES RIGHT THE FUCK NOW LET'S ALL FUCK UP THE TRAFFIC FLOW AND TAKE 30 MINUTES TO MOVE A GODDAMN 1/4 MILE'

It's worse when the construction workers didn't put up warning signs and suddenly there's a sign that says, "LANE ENDS RIGHT NOW MERGE!!"

At least that is understandable for messing up traffic, and it's only the fault of the construction crew and some planners. But when traffic is messed up for no reason other than hundreds of people, all day long, are too dumb to think ahead more than 30 seconds, so just keep driving straight ahead? It just seems like a metaphor conjured up to warn of people who meet an easily avoidable fate.

We get crazy traffic like this here in Chicago without construction. A couple of the interstates merge for a while and then when they separate again it's always a terrible mess because people suddenly decide they need to be on the other highway and have to merge over 4 lanes immediately.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I don't really have a problem with old people either. I have a problem that they're treated like "sweet old people" because they're old. There are old fucking nazis. Guess what the fuck they still are? Nazis.

Sorry old person. No free pass because you're old. You could be an old wife beater, or an old murderer. So fuck you and enjoy being treated like everyone else. With skepticism.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Being old does not entitle you to be an inconsiderate fuckhead, and I'm tired of this attitude that somehow having made it to a certain age without dying means you have an excuse for just not giving a shit about other people.

Yes. That old lady is filling out a check because fuck you you god damn whippersnapper.

Old people come from a different time, largely a different culture. Getting pissed at them for exhibiting traits and actions from that time is like getting pissed at a foreigner when they screw up some random social custom.

That and my cut off for things I can get mad about is usually around where said thing has any real consequences.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    This is not related to writing checks

but you will like this I think

I worked at a gas station for a year and a half after I flunked out of college

and two of my friends were the assistant managers, and the manager was an elderly lady (70ish) who wasn't really involved

and people treat the employees at gas stations like dog shit for some reason

so when someone would come in with some crumpled, sweaty dollar bills and a ton of change, and dump it on the counter, and then walk away

saying over their shoulder, "put that on pump 3"

I'd just scoop it up and drop it over the counter on the floor in front of them

and then when they were all furious, I'd kick them out
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

That is glorious. I'm tempted to report it for awesome.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    I don't really have a problem with old people either. I have a problem that they're treated like "sweet old people" because they're old. There are old fucking nazis. Guess what the fuck they still are? Nazis.

Sorry old person. No free pass because you're old. You could be an old wife beater, or an old murderer. So fuck you and enjoy being treated like everyone else. With skepticism.

Who peed in your Cheerios this morning, Ludious?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Haphazard wrote:
    I'm just glad nobody over here uses checks (anymore? I've never seen one being used).

Back then they had these big heavy monstrosities behind the register that they pulled out and then put the check in and it went CHA-CHUNK and embossed stuff on the check.

I've seen those! In films and foreign lands but never at home. Weird, have to ask my parents about it.

Not for checks, but credit cards. I actually had to wield one a few times at Target when the power was out. They're weird.

When are we ever going to get chip and pin credit cards in the states, though? It's insane that we're always so far behind other countries when ti comes to basic standards.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Feral wrote:
    How do you pay your rent?

rent payments are the only thing I use checks for.

Online bank. OCR number.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Haphazard wrote:

Credit cards used to be processed with those. It takes a carbon-copy image of the info in raised type on the card.

In America, at least, every business is still required to have one of those, and if you demand they use it instead of electronically swiping your card, they must comply... you know, because in America, being a dick isn't just a good idea. It's the law!

Allie's new debit card is completely flat. We'd be suspicious if we didn't just ask for a new one with her new name. It's weird.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    That is glorious. I'm tempted to report it for awesome.

noooo the awesome forum is a trap

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The latest xkcd is pretty interesting.

Link for size

This is the first xkcd comic I can honestly say makes no sense to me.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    No one. I grew up with a terribly oppressive grandmother and have been at odds with her my whole life, all whilst my family suffered in silence at her idiocy because you "have to respect your elders". So I stand in the gap to remind everyone that fuck old people respect is earned.

• Options
    moniker wrote:
    Not for checks, but credit cards. I actually had to wield one a few times at Target when the power was out. They're weird.

When are we ever going to get chip and pin credit cards in the states, though? It's insane that we're always so far behind other countries when ti comes to basic standards.

Oh yeah, I think those were for credit cards, actually. You put them in the thingamabob that goes CHA-CHUNK and it embosses the CC info on the receipt.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    You still see people trying to use cheques in shops in France. It's like going back to the 1980's in some respects.

Fortunately, they are dying. My account here didn't given give me a chequebook.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote:
    South host wrote:
    mrflippy wrote:
    South host wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    This shouldn't necessarily be punishable by death, but a hefty prison term and maybe chemical castration or something:

Picture, if you will, two lanes merging into a single lane. Everybody in the right-hand lane has slowed down and is creeping leftwards.

Then some douchebag drives on the right-hand shoulder to pass all of the mergers so he can be at the front of the merging line.

The worst part about these situations is when they give you plenty of warnings, all "LANE ENDS 3 MILES" "LANE ENDS 2 MILES" "LANE ENDS 1 MILE" and no one changes lanes, just keep going straight.

Then the lane actually ends, and everyone is suddenly like 'GODAMMIT I NEED TO CHANGE LANES RIGHT THE FUCK NOW LET'S ALL FUCK UP THE TRAFFIC FLOW AND TAKE 30 MINUTES TO MOVE A GODDAMN 1/4 MILE'

It's worse when the construction workers didn't put up warning signs and suddenly there's a sign that says, "LANE ENDS RIGHT NOW MERGE!!"

At least that is understandable for messing up traffic, and it's only the fault of the construction crew and some planners. But when traffic is messed up for no reason other than hundreds of people, all day long, are too dumb to think ahead more than 30 seconds, so just keep driving straight ahead? It just seems like a metaphor conjured up to warn of people who meet an easily avoidable fate.

We get crazy traffic like this here in Chicago without construction. A couple of the interstates merge for a while and then when they separate again it's always a terrible mess because people suddenly decide they need to be on the other highway and have to merge over 4 lanes immediately.

Then there's construction season... Although they finally put the bottom coat of asphalt down on the Stevenson so at least I don't hear my tires rubbing raw every time I head into the city. I really should take the train more often.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Online bank. OCR number.

Automatic debit transfer system or standing orders.

• Options
    They grew up in a different time! Why, back then it was normal to lynch black people in the town square! Give them a break.

FUUUCK.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Is there any difference between using a check or a debit card? Besides the card being a million times faster.

• Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    Oh yes it's time for street cart halal food it is! So delicious!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote:
    South host wrote:
    mrflippy wrote:
    South host wrote:
    Feral wrote:

There's a section of the M8 motorway as it approaches Glasgow where it suddenly becomes six lanes wide and four of those lanes are filters for slip roads. You have about 250 metres to get in the right lane because by God nobody's going to let you in once the dashed lines for the slip road starts.

It's exciting. There are guidebooks that recommend sticking as far left as you can, negotiating Glasgow's one-way system, and then rejoining the Motorway two miles down the road, rather than attempting to select the correct lane or change four lanes to the right.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    If you're paying rent by cheque, does that mean you see your landlord every month? Or are you just posting them about?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Is there any difference between using a check or a debit card? Besides the card being a million times faster.

The check takes longer to process (usually because places don't send them off to be deposited immediately, they do it at the end of the day or once a week), meaning your money is tied up a day or two longer.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

At my university using a card took forever in the cafeteria because all the machines ran through normal phone lines.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    If you're paying rent by cheque, does that mean you see your landlord every month? Or are you just posting them about?

Depends. I would just mail a check if my landlord was a rental company. If it's an individual, I would drop the check by their house.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

I have to go and physically deliver them a check. Their office is on the other side of town from our apartment. Luckily its near my office.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    No one. I grew up with a terribly oppressive grandmother and have been at odds with her my whole life, all whilst my family suffered in silence at her idiocy because you "have to respect your elders". So I stand in the gap to remind everyone that fuck old people respect is earned.

Especially since a lot of old people have created the current problems in our country, continue to vote in their interest alone and then yell at young people we are ruining america all the while they suck it dry hoping to leave us the check.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If I'm buying something from someone personally, like from a classified ad or something, the best way to go is still probably check or cash.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Ludious wrote:

I hope you live to have ten great grandchildren. And then none of them will call you.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I like that in the UK, when they replaced the BACS bank transfer system with a new system (so transfers clear same day rather than in three working days) it just got called "Faster Payments System".

Of course everyone just still calls it BACS because trying to say "your money will be paid via Faster Payments System" sounds retarded.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Online bank. OCR number.

Automatic debit transfer system or standing orders.

Yeah, I could approve automatic debit, but I prefer paying my bills myself so I know I actually have money on the account when I do it.

• Options
    mrflippy wrote:
    If I'm buying something from a classified ad, the best way to go is still probably check or cash.

Cash or money order. I'm not giving some random dude any of my bank info.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Locked drop box in my apartment building.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    102?!

ONE HUNDRED AND TWO?

You're just gonna sit there and let this happen, Echo?!

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

I hope you live to have ten great grandchildren. And then none of them will call you.

If I'm an oppressive bastard to my entire family, I would deserve no less.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

And everyone bitches at you when you're still paying with a card rather than just using your subdermal chip.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    102?!

ONE HUNDRED AND TWO?

You're just gonna sit there and let this happen, Echo?!

I sentence you to make a new chat.

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

If I'm an oppressive bastard to my entire family, I would deserve no less.

I'm going to mail you my DVD copy of Gran Torino.

This discussion has been closed.