As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I think Google+ is cool and all but I haven't used it much..

kind of like wave :\
    Not nearly as slow though

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    MKR wrote:
    Omega wrote:
    Omega wrote:
    I would greatly appreciate an invite to this, if anyone has one laying around or something.

I got botp'd and missed out on the generosity.

This is like asking someone you don't know to call you before walking off. Then you find them on the subway later and ask them why they didn't call you.

aka: We need an e-mail address if you want an invite.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I think I am misunderstanding something.
    You have to create every circle you want to be in? You can't simply join one that is existing ?

For example I want to be in a Penny Arcade circle how exactly does one do that?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You have it exactly backwards; you create circles to classify stuff you post, which people in those circles then receive.
    You get stuff only if someone in your circles posts publicly or to one of their on circles that contains you.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote:
    I think I am misunderstanding something.
    You have to create every circle you want to be in? You can't simply join one that is existing ?

For example I want to be in a Penny Arcade circle how exactly does one do that?

Circles are like a rolodex. Lots of people have the same numbers, but your collection is more or less unique.

i wish there was public circles that equated to message board/website replacements.

I guess what I want is something like Slashdot where I could just add my self to a slashdot circle where everyone was already.
    Does that make sense?

You would have to have an ignore button for sure though.

• OmegaOmega Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    MKR wrote:
    Omega wrote:
    Omega wrote:
    I would greatly appreciate an invite to this, if anyone has one laying around or something.

I got botp'd and missed out on the generosity.

This is like asking someone you don't know to call you before walking off. Then you find them on the subway later and ask them why they didn't call you.

aka: We need an e-mail address if you want an invite.

There should be one in my profile but I'm not sure if its visible to everyone so I guess I should have included one in my post, sorry about that.

snappydollar at gmail dot com

Sent.

• langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    My grandmother uses Facebook, and so I thought I'd invite her to G+ to see family photos etc, and to see if she likes it. I've been sharing things with her for a few weeks, but she hadn't gotten around to signing up until today. Earlier in the afternoon I got this email:
    My grandma wrote:
    I'm not interested in joining Google anything based on the scam they played on me when I tried to join Google+. I'll explain what happened when we talk.

She's out for the day so I probably won't talk to her, but I'm dying to find out about this "scam". Oddly enough she sent it from her Gmail account which she has had for a few months now.

I bet she signed up with something like Grandma So and So as her name.
    It triggered the identity check where it says send in a copy of her driver's license or show a webpage that points out this is her real name.

• ShisouKenShisouKen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the add bficky!

ShisouKen on
  • splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Please send me an invite, I want to get my friends onto this. [redacted]

Facebook's features and content/structure feel so outdated.

splash on
    splash wrote:

Invite sent.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • splashsplash Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    splash wrote:

Invite sent.

Big time thank you

• either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Could I please get an invite as well? :) [removed]

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
    Invite sent.

Thank you!

steam_sig.png
    steam_sig.png
  • automaticjimautomaticjim Tampa, FloridaRegistered User regular

See you at PAX Prime!
    Twitter - Automaticjim
    Steam - Outbreak

If you’re winning, play safe and keep the game clean and simple. If you are losing, take risks and complicate the game.
    I'm at 93 PA'ers right now. :D

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • XtralifeXtralife Registered User regular
    Added more people than I can shake a stick at. Now I really wanna try a mass Hangout.

Twitter Facebook Steam XBL Google+ Dropbox: get 250mb free
    Minecraft username is the same. No server yet.
    Battle.net: majesticslump@aol.com
    Not too active on Steam, my computer sucks. Still no XBL Gold account. DS friend codes in spoiler.
    ACWW: 2063-9673-0359
    GTA Chinatown Wars: 0388-4661-8548
    Jump Ultimate Stars: 5155-6844-1452
    Mario Kart: 4811-3240-0433
    Scribblenauts: 4812-6335-7531
    Starfox Command: 1139-8027-6150
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 4211-4545-9789
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I'm really liking Google+. I don't have Facebook, but I've found myself hardly using Twitter and using Google+ instead to share things.

• Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    Did something just get borked in an update? All of the +1s in my stream from the past few days seem to have disappeared.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Quick question ... when I go to some post in my stream, and click on the "limited" in the title, it shows me the first 21 people this post was shared with and the number above that it was shared with.

According to the help if I didn't write that post, I shouldn't see who it was shared with ...

So ... is this a bug or working as intended?

EDIT: Never mind ... now I found this: "Each post has an indicator that summarizes who the post is shared with (Public, Limited, and so on). Click the indicator for details about who the post is shared with. Remember that anyone a post is shared with can see all comments to that post, who else it's shared with, and share the post with others."

That is confusing. The help section (although I read the german help section) told me something different. Sigh ... new technology is hard.

TheBigEasy on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    Any invites left? I'd be very grateful: stefin.sun (at) gmail.com

• bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Nimble Cat wrote:
    Any invites left? I'd be very grateful: stefin.sun (at) gmail.com

Email sent, but Google kept correcting your email, removing the . in the address. Hopefully you still get it.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    I did! Thank you very much, sir!

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bficky wrote:
    Email sent, but Google kept correcting your email, removing the . in the address. Hopefully you still get it.

That's because Google doesn't acknowledge dots in e-mail addresses. You will get the same email if it's sent to person@gmail.com, p.erson@gmail.com or p.e.r.s.o.n@gmail.com.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    bficky wrote:

That's because Google doesn't acknowledge dots in e-mail addresses. You will get the same email if it's sent to person@gmail.com, p.erson@gmail.com or p.e.r.s.o.n@gmail.com.

Yeah, funny story, I keep getting emails from someone in the States with my name, because somehow we both seem to have the same email address, sometimes. I registered mine years ago, back in the early days of gmail. Someone seems to have cocked up.

forumsig.png
    darleysam wrote:
    Yeah, funny story, I keep getting emails from someone in the States with my name, because somehow we both seem to have the same email address, sometimes. I registered mine years ago, back in the early days of gmail. Someone seems to have cocked up.

My wife gets the same thing. Apparently someone on a home owners association in Ireland tried to sign up to Gmail with the same name but without the dot, and for 5 years now she's been getting notices that she owes £7 for the grass cutting on the central green.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    bficky wrote:

Why not? ... That seems incredibly stupid for a large email provider like Google.

TheBigEasy wrote:
    Why not? ... That seems incredibly stupid for a large email provider like Google.

No idea. Probably to stop multiple people signing up with the same name but with different dots. Here's the support entry where it's confirmed though.

This affected my wife as well. She gets e-mails for like 4 other people who have the same e-mail but with dots in the e-mail address. Google isn't the only one who doesn't recognize dots, and it's seriously irritating. And compromising. She's gotten banking and flight info for these people, and it took threatening the companies that this is a serious security issue they could probably be sued over to get them to pay attention and listen to her that they need to call or find some other way to communicate with that person.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Wait what? His makes no sense...people are signing up for services using gmail accounts they don't actually own?
    Or are the companies involved messing up and sending to the wrong address @gmail somehow?
    Crazy.

Mr_Rose wrote:
    Wait what? His makes no sense...people are signing up for services using gmail accounts they don't actually own?
    Or are the companies involved messing up and sending to the wrong address @gmail somehow?
    Crazy.

Gmail allows you to create usernames using "." in them. Now they check to see if someone has your username without the ".", but I guess they didn't used to. So if someone has "oinkbelly" and someone else tries to register "oink.belly", they won't allow it anymore, but if you did it before they started checking, you now have "oinkbelly" getting e-mails for "oink.belly" from businesses who ignore "." in e-mail addresses.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    G+ could really use some kind of group system, so I could just add one big Penny-Arcade group and toss that in a circle.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • clam2000clam2000 SeattleRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Gmail allows you to create usernames using "." in them. Now they check to see if someone has your username without the ".", but I guess they didn't used to. So if someone has "oinkbelly" and someone else tries to register "oink.belly", they won't allow it anymore, but if you did it before they started checking, you now have "oinkbelly" getting e-mails for "oink.belly" from businesses who ignore "." in e-mail addresses.

Pretty sure that's wrong.

Periods have never mattered for google accounts. There was never a possibility for someone to register the same address apart from a period.

More likely people hand wrote their addresses and they got improperly transcribed - like if a '_' got written typed as a '.'. I I routinely get emails for a guy who registered 'oinkdotbelly@', because people type it as 'oink.belly@'

cdogwal.gif
    clam2000 wrote:
    ArcSyn wrote:

Pretty sure that's wrong.

Periods have never mattered for google accounts. There was never a possibility for someone to register the same address apart from a period.

More likely people hand wrote their addresses and they got improperly transcribed - like if a '_' got written typed as a '.'. I I routinely get emails for a guy who registered 'oinkdotbelly@', because people type it as 'oink.belly@'

Could be, I'm just trying to figure it out because it's crazy how often it happens and with different companies for the same few people.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I've heard of some people using the ignored periods as a useful tool. If you have to register your pennyarcade@gmail email address with XYZ company you can do it as p.ennyarcad.e@gmail so that you can set up a filter and spot/autodiscard any unwanted spam that has come from XYZ or from XYZ selling your contact info without affecting the rest of your incoming email.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I'm hanging out now, if you all wanna join in.

https://plus.google.com/109439799516182858035/posts?hl=en