As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thundercats 2011] Where saying the word HO! will never be Inappropriate.

NovidNovid Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
The next Generation of Animation starts Tomorrow at 8PM on Cartoon Network. With Korra on the heels, this show got a year and a half to prove itself.

And from the first episode (if rumors are to be true) Nick Better Bring some big ass kitchen sinks. The Pilot may be the best in all of TV in the last 5 years, and the best one in almost 20 years for animation in the States or anywhere else.

Thanks to NeoGaf for some of the help:

82BOz.png

So what is ThunderCats? ThunderCats was a cartoon created, by Ted "Tobin" Wolf, in 1985 which depicted the adventures of a group of anthropomorphic feline creatures. The whole series spanned 130 episodes and one TV movie in four seasons. It gained a following with action figures, comic books, clothes, board games, and a video game. It's heralded by many to be a cult classic; IGN rated it the 49th Best Animated TV Show. If you grew up during the mid 80's/90's and loved animation, there's no way you couldn't have heard of the series. Quite possibly the story could have been forgotten, but the characters themselves are iconic.

That's all good and all, but why are we here? Warner Bros. Animation is producing a new ThunderCats animated series and it is airing on Cartoon Network in August 2011! It is a complete reboot of the 1985 series. Japanese animation studio Studio 4°C will be handling the animation. Sam Register (known for work in Teen Titans, Ben 10), the Executive Vice President of Warner Bros. Animation, will be the Executive Producer and will be getting help from people like Ethan Spaulding (known for work in Avatar: The Last Airbender animated series) and Michael Jelenic (known for work in Batman: The Brave and the Bold) in producing the series. According to the studio, this reboot will appeal to both new and old fans of the series. The cartoon aims to paint the story in a darker tone than the original series as well as fleshing out the characters from the original series.

The series begins with an hour long series premiere July 29th, 2011 at 8:00PM EST on Cartoon Network! It is a weekly release, it will continue next week at 8:00PM EST but in a 30 minute episode.

8alrB.png

The original story saw a group of humanoid felines fleeing from their home world of Thundera. This group of felines were known as the ThunderCats, seemingly high ranked officials from Thundera. The ThunderCats were in possession of the Sword of Omens, an almighty weapon that possessed the Eye of Thundera which harbored the power of all the ThunderCats. Due to an incoming attack by creatures wanting the sword, the ThunderCats had to change their course and travel to Third Earth. Once on Third Earth, the ThunderCats met a few friends and with their help were able to construct a type of headquarters for themselves. Things were not serene for too long for evil creatures in search of the Eye of Thundera arrived on the scene and the ThunderCats stood in defense so that the Eye of Thundera wasn't lost and the world that they lived in was not ruled by an unwanted force.

How does this new story differentiate to the old? The characters of the story are indeed younger, so the new story actually depicts life on Third Earth which the viewer did not see properly until later in the old series. Third Earth is under attack and the ThunderCats must band together on a quest to find a secret tome, the Book of Omens. The Book of Omens is the host to all of the secrets of the ThunderCats and a source of immeasurable power.

J0rCH.png

LION-O: A 'not-yet' hero trying to learn his place.

1985 Voice Actor: Larry Kenney
2011 Voice Actor: Will Freidle
Bio: In the old ThunderCats' pilot episode, we see Lion-O as a boy not ready for the powers that were to be bestowed onto him. He goes through a process of aging which results being a boy in a grown man's body. In the new series, the creators decided to leave Lion-O as a young boy with conflicts about being the fabled Lord of the ThunderCats. Although he makes poor decisions and may be brash, the young Lion-O will do whatever it takes to defend his homeland and his loved ones from harm. Lion-O is tasked with locating the Book of Omens, to learn more about Thundercat technology so they have a chance to fight back against the invading reptiles.

TYGRA: Wiser, faster, stronger, yet in the shadow of the heir.

1985 Voice Actor: Peter Newman
2011 Voice Actor: Matthew Mercer
Bio: Tygra did not have much of a personality in the original ThunderCats series. He was the eldest ThunderCat and was known for being an expert analyst. Lion-O often came to Tygra for assistance as a warrior in second command. In the new series, Tygra is not the eldest ThunderCat and happens to be Lion-O's older adopted brother. While Tygra is stronger, faster, and wiser than Lion-O, he cannot be king due to Tygra not being blood related to Lion-O; most of the people under the ThunderCats rule believe that Tygra should be the true ruler and don't have any faith in Lion-O, but such a thing could never happen. Tygra resents Lion-O for this reason, but he does care for his little brother.

CHEETARA: Beautiful, but cunning.

1985 Voice Actor: Lynne Lipton
2011 Voice Actor: Emmanuelle Chriqui
Bio: Cheetara, the sole female in this group of heroes was often the voice of reason in the group. She was also the fastest of them all, which carries over to the new series. In the new series, Cheetara is the last living Cleric trained by Jaga the wise. Cheetara is actually assigned to be Lion-O's bodyguard. She is a powerful magician and the fastest cat in all of Thundera. There exists a sort of love triangle between Lion-O, Tygra, and Cheetara in the new series which did not exist in the old series.

PANTHRO: Solid rock of guidance when all is lost.

1985 Voice Actor: Earle Hyman
2011 Voice Actor: Kevin Michael Richardson
Bio: Don't let Panthro's gruff exterior fool you: whilst he is monstrous in the battle field, he does have a big heart outside of it. He also known to work with his hands; in the old series Tygra would often make plans for a certain machine and Panthro would build it. Panthro is very similar to his old series iteration in the new series. Unlike the other ThunderCats, Panthro has apparently seen technology outside of the kingdom unlike the rest of the main heroes and knows a thing-or-two around them.

WILYKIT AND WILYKAT: The young are our future.

1985 Voice Actors: Peter Newman (WilyKit) and Lynne Lipton (WilyKat)
2011 Voice Actors: ???
Bio: The youngest of the heroes, the ThunderKittens were known for their mischievous antics. WilyKit (the male) is the more bold while WilyKit (the female) is the more cautious of the two. WilyKat and WilyKit are street urchins in the new series that end up joining Lion-O on his quest for the Book. Their real goal however is to find a fabled hidden city of riches. WilyKit has a special musical instrument that she plays that can put people into a brief trance (which they use to rob unsuspecting people).

SNARF: Snarf.

1985 Voice Actor: Bob McFadden
2011 Voice Actor: ???
Bio: Osbert, otherwise known as Snarf was Lion-O's guardian in the old series. When Lion-O suddenly grew up, Snarf's services were no longer needed but the old Snarf remained loyal to Lion-O and did what he could to help and/or get in the way. Not much is known about the new Snarf, but he is shown with WilyKit and WilyKat in a promotional picture and he is seen with Lion-O in a trailer. Snarf does not speak in the new incarnation of ThunderCats; he just makes cat noises and is more like a pet this time, albeit a smart pet.

CLAUDUS: The Lord who will do anything for his people.

1985 Voice Actor: ???
2011 Voice Actor: Larry Kenney
Bio: Claudus is Lion-O's father and the current Lord of the ThunderCats. Strong but caring, Claudus does whatever it takes to defend his people.

JAGA: The wise man who knows it all.

1985 Voice Actor: Earl Hammond
2011 Voice Actor: Corey Burton
Bio: Jaga the Wise is a cleric once heralded as the strongest of all the ThunderCats. He was the former wielder of the Sword of Omens in the old series. All we know about him in the new series is that he is a strong magician who pretty much plays the same role as his old series iteration but he also mentored Cheetara in the arts of magic.

GRUNE: Former hero, current destroyer.

2011 Voice Actor: Clancy Brown
Bio: Once an honorable warrior and comrade to such fighters as Claudus and Jaga, Grune was filled with a lust for power. It was so strong that he fought against Jaga for the Eye of Thundera, though Grune ultimately lost and was banished for his misdeeds. Grune made his way to Third Earth and began terrorizing the people there to quench his power hungry thirst until he was ultimately sealed by the natives. Unfortunately such a seal was broken and Grune returned to his terrorizing ways. Grune's status is unknown in the new series, but one can assume that he plays the same role.

SLITHE: Calculating and cold blooded.

2011 Voice Actor: Dee Bradley Baker
Bio: Slithe is the leader of the reptiles. Although barbaric and impatient, he does possess some wit that he uses to his advantage in the battlefield.

MUMM-RA: The evil that stands in the way.

1985 Voice Actor: Earl Hammond
2011 Voice Actor: Robin Atkin Downes
Bio: The very "essence of evil." Seeking power, Mumm-Ra will do whatever it takes to acquire the Eye of Thundera to rule over the world. The new series iteration of Mumm-Ra is identical to his old iteration. Mumm-Ra is an expert of magic and in fact happens to be seemingly immortal!

So now the next generation of animation begins - truly. Korra is a year away and yet - its seems these two series are destined to clash and make better the way for both genres...

Novid on

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    thank god I thought I missed the first episode, so stoked.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    The furry fan art alone is worth the reboot.

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pics or it didn't happen.

(Seriously, no screens?)

EDIT: SNARF!

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Will the intro be as awesome as the original's?

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Looking forward to this. But I thought we already had a thread?

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

SOMEone had to bring it up. . .:P

I'm actually rather interested in this, but I have no idea how to catch it when 7PM CST is about the middle of my work shift.

I suppose there's always piracy.

Boring7 on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:

SOMEone had to bring it up. . .:P

I'm actually rather interested in this, but I have no idea how to catch it when 7PM CST is about the middle of my work shift.

I suppose there's always piracy.

Not supposed to talk about nautical things here, pretty sure.

On another note, hoping this is good!

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    My DVR just got set.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Wangticore1023Wangticore1023 Registered User regular
    My DVR just got set.

I totally forgot that T-cats was tonight. My DVR will likewise be set when I get home tonight.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    That was fantastic. Missed some parts of it, but I think I'm going to watch this on a regular basis.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • NovidNovid Registered User regular
    im glad yall liked it.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Dammit, I missed the first 45 friggin minutes!! Steel sieve of a memory. They are going to reair this right? Hopefully.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    So old Lion-O dropped the Holy Materia when he entered the Lifestream, right?

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So this is good? By which I mean only the names are silly ? Because I cannot fathom why I liked the original Thundercats at all and I really wanted this to be awesome.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Thundercats were cool if you were a child of the times. Fast paced, well animated, could be creepy as hell at times.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I haven't been much of a Thundercats fan (watched it a ton when I was a kid, but I had no taste back then and it didn't stick with me) and I highly enjoyed the new show. I don't think I will stick with it when it is on TV, but I will likely check it out on DVD/Streaming

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Okay, the plot was good, and they really threw both the naive and genre savvy/cast informed for a loop with the reveal of
    Panthro's fate.
    The action was really needs work, especially the super speed parts. Those looked ridiculous.
    I do love the fact that, for once, the thing that the evil enemy with the upper hand wasn't heart, or bravery, or even love, but simply the
    elite light infantry.

• McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    heyzeus khrissti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enQXITlKRgg

it makes me miss he-man

McAllen on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Can't believe how awesome this was, can't wait until next week. Makes me feel like a kid again.
    Bagginses wrote:
    Okay, the plot was good, and they really threw both the naive and genre savvy/cast informed for a loop with the reveal of
    Panthro's fate.
    There's a pretty good chance that Panthro's still alive.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited July 2011
    skeldare wrote:
    Can't believe how awesome this was, can't wait until next week. Makes me feel like a kid again.
    Bagginses wrote:
    Panthro's fate.

Well, yeah, but I thought it would be sooner. Hell, that might explain how they got the fucker
    into the tree so fast. The one on the tank was the real one.

Bagginses on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    skeldare wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Panthro's fate.

Well, yeah, but I thought it would be sooner. Hell, that might explain how they got the fucker
    I was also pretty surprised they ended without Lion-o/Tigra/Cheetara meeting up with the twins. Lots of weird subversions in the pilot, they didn't even set up a status quo.

I liked it a lot. Tigra with an actual personality was great, but whenever Lion-O speaks I can only think of Terry McGinis and kept expecting Batman to show up. Watching way too much Batman Beyond recently.

Z0re wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    skeldare wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Panthro's fate.

I was also pretty surprised they ended without Lion-o/Tigra/Cheetara meeting up with the twins. Lots of weird subversions in the pilot, they didn't even set up a status quo.

I liked it a lot. Tigra with an actual personality was great, but whenever Lion-O speaks I can only think of Terry McGinis and kept expecting Batman to show up. Watching way too much Batman Beyond recently.

Who's voicing Panthro?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Z0re wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    skeldare wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Panthro's fate.

Who's voicing Panthro?

Kevin Michael Richardson

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Z0re wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    skeldare wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Panthro's fate.

Who's voicing Panthro?

Kevin Michael Richardson

Damn, closest he comes to being Batman is the Joker in The Batman.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So this is good? By which I mean only the names are silly ? Because I cannot fathom why I liked the original Thundercats at all and I really wanted this to be awesome.

Yeah, it's good. I knew it was of course going to be better than the original, but it still blew me away. BTW, if you hated Snarf in the original show, you'll be glad to know that he can't talk in this one.

The villains' strategy was gloriously devious, and I liked that Thundara is an empire on Third Earth instead of being a completely separate planet.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:

Yeah, it's good. I knew it was of course going to be better than the original, but it still blew me away. BTW, if you hated Snarf in the original show, you'll be glad to know that he can't talk in this one and is pretty much just Lion-O's pet.

The villains' strategy was gloriously devious, and I liked that Thundara is an empire on Third Earth instead of being a completely separate planet.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Best lines of the night:

Lion-O: Are you flirting?
    Tygra: *smirk*

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I like it. Much better then Voltron Force which is an abomination to the eyes of the living.....

Got a very Avatar:the last Airbender feel to it. The cartoon, not the movie which is also an abomination to the eyes of the living(lots of that going around lately).

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I missed the very beginning and am a little confused why they are on Third Earth. What happened to Thundera? Is this supposed to be X generations after the original Thundercats and they all decided to settle there?

enc0re wrote:
    I missed the very beginning and am a little confused why they are on Third Earth. What happened to Thundera? Is this supposed to be X generations after the original Thundercats and they all decided to settle there?

Reboot, so they've made Thundera a kingdom on Third Earth

Though they haven't explained how it was founded yet. I don't think they'd pull a "The original series was actually the past in this one!" twist, given how all the characters seem to be getting incarnations in this one, including Grune and Lynx-O

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    So I'm guessing this time aruond too that Third Earth is actually a moon, given the rather large, strangely Jupiter-looking planet in the night sky (and I think a little during the day too?)

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    Yeah, it's good. I knew it was of course going to be better than the original, but it still blew me away. BTW, if you hated Snarf in the original show, you'll be glad to know that he can't talk in this one.

That strategy was a total rip-off. :P

Which they totally didn't need considering:
    They had Zoids and an unkillable zombie mummy sorcerer versus some medieval warriors.

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Actually, I really liked that they had a
    spec ops team plant target designators for the Zoids. Made it feel more military and real.

Was anyone else irritated by the fact that Grune's giant tooth moved like it was attached to his lip?

• NovidNovid Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Was anyone else irritated by the fact that Grune's giant tooth moved like it was attached to his lip?

that was a design choice they thought would make him more fierce. It sort of works but i can see some of the conserns.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    so "technology" is considered a myth....then what was the claw shield? looked pretty technological to me.

I just kinda scrunched my brows at the whole "yeah right Lion-O....technology, suuuuuree." angle They scoff at technology but wave around magic swords and have supernatural abilities. I just didn't get that.

edited July 2011
    ahaahahah
    Friend:
    Fact 1: Mumm-Ra's new VA is Robin Atkin Downes.
    Fact 2: Robin Atkin Downes also plays The Medic in TF2.
    Fact 3: You saw how the king died.

Me
    I think I read that

Also holy crap :O

Friend
    "Medic is a Spy!"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    VoodooV wrote:
    so "technology" is considered a myth....then what was the claw shield? looked pretty technological to me.

I just kinda scrunched my brows at the whole "yeah right Lion-O....technology, suuuuuree." angle They scoff at technology but wave around magic swords and have supernatural abilities. I just didn't get that.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Exactly. They treat magic as if it was technology, so watching them scoff at "tech" made me go huh?