As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Smooth(ie) Move, Dude

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
A buddy of mine makes smoothies, and I've had a few prior to our weekend road trips, much to my satisfaction. This seems like a decent breakfast solution to me, so I'm going to start trying it myself. I don't actually have a blender yet, though. Should I just pick up a Magic Bullet or something, or does a forumite have some voodoo magic to recommend? A friend has recommended a full-blown food processor, but I can't think of anything other than onions that I'd use it for.

Also, recipe tips are recommended. I don't like the taste of bananas at all, to the point of feeling ill if I can smell/taste them, so I'm having to be a bit creative. Currently looking at this recipe:

3/5 full blender with almond milk and fruit juice
3 baby carrots
3 leaves of spinach
2 tbs. non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 scoop whey protein powder
1 tspn peanut butter
finish filling blender with frozen berries

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Honestly, if you get a food processor, you will find things to use it for (assuming you cook).

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    Pariel wrote:
    Honestly, if you get a food processor, you will find things to use it for (assuming you cook).

This is so true. Smoothies, onions, hot peppers, pureeing certain soups.

If you're going to be using smoothies as a breakfast solution, I hope you live alone or have some decent soundproofing on the kitchen. Getting woken up by the sound of a blender every morning would drive most people to homicidal rage within a pretty short period of time.

Recipes are more or less irrelevant for smoothies. All you need to do is find the proper ratio of fruit/juice/yogurt (although I can't tell you what that is if you're mixing in protein powder, yuck). As long as you stick to the ratio and use ingredients you enjoy, you can't really go too wrong.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Garlic. minced garlic is its own reason to buy a small food processor.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    JHunz wrote:
    If you're going to be using smoothies as a breakfast solution, I hope you live alone or have some decent soundproofing on the kitchen. Getting woken up by the sound of a blender every morning would drive most people to homicidal rage within a pretty short period of time.

You can also make it the night before and refrigerate it.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been really curious about this for some time now.

My friend bought a little Black and Decker blender and broke it after one use because it wasn't designed that great - if you filled up the bowl too much, the liquid would go down the shaft that the bowl was mounted on and fry the inner workings. So, watch out for poorly designed blenders, I guess.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    My wife has the original version of this (not the Pro)
    http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Professional-Blender-Chopper-Crusher/dp/B003O47MKA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1311896865&sr=8-4
    and she loves it. She makes smoothies almost every day with it, and has never had a problem with it. She buys frozen fruit in bulk from costco, to save money.

It also makes beverages that require crushed ice better than anything we've had before.

Basically anything that we used to do that involved a blender or processor has been replaced with the Ninja

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    This is what I use
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FBLQLG?ie=UTF8&tag=jlscorev-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000FBLQLG
    It has an all metal drive, so its pretty much not going to break. I love it, dearly.
    Its unfortunate that you don't like bananas as frozen bananas are the best in smoothies. Well, either way, make sure you freeze your fruit. I hate having to use ice in my smoothies to thicken them up or chill them down. I've also been using Keifer and soy milk in mine, as almond milk just doesn't have any protein.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Basically the two most useful things to have in your kitchen are a good food processor and a good pair of kitchen shears.

Smoothies are great! I just use a little strawberry, banana, or blueberry (frozen), a bit of protein powder, and some low fat milk. Delicious.

Someone on here had a recipe for pumpkin pie smoothies that looked amazing.

Wanna say it was Belruel.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on