As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Grrr. Stupid spring break. I guess I still have to finish shadow hearts 3.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    GageGage Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I just got 5. I'll have to power through it and get zero. What is the timeline of Ace Combat? 5 takes place in 2010, and zero is set in '95, so I'm guessing a couple of games take place within 2 or 3 years of eachother.

The first game is in '95, just like Zero.
    AC2 is in '99.
    AC3 runs from 2043-2045
    AC04 takes place in 2004... thus the 04 in the title.

Gage on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I noticed IGN had a review up, but fuck me if they didn't have such terrible writers.
    Fans obviously don't want the formula messed with too much, while those looking to suit up for the first time may be waiting for that one change or enhancement to get them airborne.

Why would someone who's never played the series at all care about changes they make? :x

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Well AC:05 is cheaper the AC:Zero right now, so I'd get AC:05 now and wait for AC:Zero to go on sale.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Gage wrote:
    AC04 takes place in 2004... thus the 04 in the title.
    Weird, I have never noticed that before.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    blinkeblinke Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Tomorrow or Wednesday will be a day where I get nothing accomplished outside of AC0. I've been waiting for this game for soo long.

blinke on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I'll be buying this tomorrow.

Who cares if my PS2 is 2 hours away.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I thought just the shipping date is tomorrow?

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Ok, this is a question for the ones who own it already: Is it as awesomely holyshit-i-crapped-my-pants as the trailer makes it seem? If so, I'm going to have to un-lend my PS2.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Ok, this is a question for the ones who own it already: Is it as awesomely holyshit-i-crapped-my-pants as the trailer makes it seem? If so, I'm going to have to un-lend my PS2.

AC5 is, and by most reports, Zero is as good or better, so take that how you will.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Technically, there isn't a lot of gameplay to it. I worried about this when I was buying AC5. The gist of it is, fly to wherever you are needed, usually fly around in circles for a few minutes shooting stuff down, repeat.

But the Ace Combat series pulls it off very well, very transparent, which is good because when you begin playing you embark on a fucking wild ride. I had tons of fun with AC5 - the story pulled me in and wouldn't let go.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Technically, there isn't a lot of gameplay to it. I worried about this when I was buying AC5. The gist of it is, fly to wherever you are needed, usually fly around in circles for a few minutes shooting stuff down, repeat.

But the Ace Combat series pulls it off very well, very transparent, which is good because when you begin playing you embark on a fucking wild ride. I had tons of fun with AC5 - the story pulled me in and wouldn't let go.
    And then they throw curveballs in there.

Like "Haha, silly Yuke fighters, you aint touching those carriers, feel my wrat-..."

"This is thunderhead, ballistic launch detected!"

:shock:

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Like "Haha, silly Yuke fighters, you aint touching those carriers, feel my wrat-..."

"PULL UP EVERYBODY! PULL UYifgviyvf*STATIC*"

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

"Meh. They'll only do it once. They won't nuke the same area more than-"
    That was the biggest mistake I ever made.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

"It can take them all out before they explode, no need to wory about these anymore" was mine.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Haha. I played 4 and 5 and loved both. I hated how the first one was all "GO BELOW 5000 feet" and the second was "GO ABOVE 5000 feet."
    Fucked me over hard. You'd be surprised how fast an a-10 can climb, though. I used it in every mission where i could. I love that fucking plane. Catching up to people is impossible, though.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Haha. I played 4 and 5 and loved both. I hated how the first one was all "GO BELOW 5000 feet" and the second was "GO ABOVE 5000 feet."
    Fucked me over hard. You'd be surprised how fast an a-10 can climb, though. I used it in every mission where i could. I love that fucking plane. Catching up to people is impossible, though.
    I only used the A10 in the mission where your troops storm the beach.

I didn't like that mission.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Exactly the same for me.

Its complete trash if you have to fight anything but another A-10, and thanfully, all that mission had was A-10s and Choppers.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Exactly the same for me.

Its complete trash if you have to fight anything but another A-10, and thanfully, all that mission had was A-10s and Choppers.

Something about being a flying tank that appealed to me. To clarify, I did another playthrough for shits and giggles using only the a-10. Try and test my skill, i guess. Plus, it's a lot easier to not run into shit when you're cruising along at 11 miles per hour.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Exactly the same for me.

Something about being a flying tank that appealed to me. To clarify, I did another playthrough for shits and giggles using only the a-10. Try and test my skill, i guess. Plus, it's a lot easier to not run into shit when you're cruising along at 11 miles per hour.
    I played the misssion where you fly over the stadium about twenty times.

I kept trying to fly my pretty F22 through the skyscrapers.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:

Exactly the same for me.

I played the misssion where you fly over the stadium about twenty times.

I kept trying to fly my pretty F22 through the skyscrapers.

A-10 sucks, yes, but the YA-10B is like condensed sex.

<3 fuel air explosive bombs.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Anyone have the ace combat 3 soundtrack? I'm looking for the song "mindflow"

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    A page back some of you were asking if Zero was better than 5. I've played and beaten Zero, as I said early on (import), and I do think it's superior to both 4 and 5. Of course, that's just my opinion, but everything about Zero is spectactular. I love the live actors, and watching interviews with the aces I down (and this depends on what rank you get, considering different aces will appear depending on that rank - Mercenary, Soldier, or Knight) is really neat, and man do some of these missions get your heart racing, especially when enemy aces appear. They are tough, but the IGN review stated how they were overly frustrating and therefore marked the game lower beceause of this. He said he kept dying repeatedly. What's my answer to that? He sucks. They're hard(er), yes, but not impossible, and I didn't die once against any of them. If you trail them and keep firing off missiles, you'll get them eventually, but the best strategy is to run at them head on and then fire your missiles. You do that, and they will go down fast.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Hmm, guess I have to get zero. Grazie.

I guess most places won't have it till wednesday? I think a couple other things ship on the 25th too, like advent children and the first karas dvd.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    I can't find the song from the trailer, the second song, the spanish guitarish one.

Anyone know which one it is? I don't have the time to listen through all the songs (also, I'd rather not, I love it esspecially on the final mission the songs are always amazing esspecially that first time and being overwhelmed by the mission, oh god jiz-tastic!)

But I need that song!

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    I can't find the song from the trailer, the second song, the spanish guitarish one.

Anyone know which one it is? I don't have the time to listen through all the songs (also, I'd rather not, I love it esspecially on the final mission the songs are always amazing esspecially that first time and being overwhelmed by the mission, oh god jiz-tastic!)

But I need that song!

Zero is the song you want. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Speaking of songs, AC5 has made Puddle of Mud bearable.

Every time I hear Blurry, the AC5 trailer plays in my head and I become very happy.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Speaking of songs, AC5 has made Puddle of Mud bearable.

Every time I hear Blurry, the AC5 trailer plays in my head and I become very happy.

True dat.

Sol on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Zero is the song you want. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.
    Ah, thank you very much, I'm in heaven now.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    Dashui wrote:
    A page back some of you were asking if Zero was better than 5. I've played and beaten Zero, as I said early on (import), and I do think it's superior to both 4 and 5. Of course, that's just my opinion, but everything about Zero is spectactular. I love the live actors, and watching interviews with the aces I down (and this depends on what rank you get, considering different aces will appear depending on that rank - Mercenary, Soldier, or Knight) is really neat, and man do some of these missions get your heart racing, especially when enemy aces appear. They are tough, but the IGN review stated how they were overly frustrating and therefore marked the game lower beceause of this. He said he kept dying repeatedly. What's my answer to that? He sucks. They're hard(er), yes, but not impossible, and I didn't die once against any of them. If you trail them and keep firing off missiles, you'll get them eventually, but the best strategy is to run at them head on and then fire your missiles. You do that, and they will go down fast.

I don't think the problem was that they're hard, but rather that you have to replay a 20-30 minute mission if they kill you at the end. I'm kinda with him on the checkpoint system...

Also, reading that review... how did I miss that there are co-op missions in this game!? I'm sure glad I'm getting a second stick!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    THERE ARE WHAT?!!?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    IGN wrote:
    Fortunately, Namco did more than just offer a compelling story. It added a bevy of improvements, helping Zero feel decidedly fresh -- even unique among its predecessors. Chief among these improvements deals with multiplayer. Specifically, the fact that Zero actually has multiplayer. It's been one of those requested features and now it's actually here. And it's just about everything fans could want. Through seven available stages, you can basically choose whatever type of combat situation you want. You can opt for a simple one-on-one dogfight scenario just as easily as a cooperative raid against an enemy installation.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    D:

<3

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    i picked up 5 used on the cheap today because of this thread. havent played any since the first one way back in the day. hopefully itll be as fun as you guys are making it sound, im rather a fan of arcadey flight games (crimson skies etc). once i knock through this one i'll look at maybe picking up Zero.

how much is a flight stick? worth it?

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Ah_Pook wrote:

Check your local EB. Apparently, because of the whacky conversion, $17.99 (no guarantee it's in stock, though).

And worth it? Fuck yes.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:

Check your local EB. Apparently, because of the whacky conversion, $17.99 (no guarantee it's in stock, though).

And worth it? Fuck yes.
    Wait, what flight stick? The X45 rebrand that came with AC5?!

Faricazy on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2006
    If you guys don't mind, I'm going to viciously masturbate until wednesday morning.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    Faricazy wrote:
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Ah_Pook wrote:

And worth it? Fuck yes.
    Wait, what flight stick? The X45 rebrand that came with AC5?!

Yes... it's a crapshoot, but you should check just in case.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    edited April 2006
    My EB had the flight stick bundle for $99, the game is only $25.

CND dollars.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2006
    it kills me that this isnt online..... absolutely, missle up my tailpipe, kills me.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool